- Squidward Tentacles
- Patrick Star
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Frank (whale)
- Frank's peer (debut)
- Martha (mentioned)
- Fish on Simple-Ton
- Gary the Snail (cameo)
- Sandy Cheeks
- Bubble Patrick (debut)
- Larry the Lobster
- Frank (store owner) (cameo)
It starts out at the Krusty Krab where SpongeBob and Patrick are making their favorite noises, while simultaneously annoying Squidward. SpongeBob's is the dolphin laughing and Patrick's is the song of the great blue whale. Squidward, who is extremely annoyed at this point, asks them what was happening. They explain that they are doing stuff together out of a magazine called Simple-Ton. They then take a quiz to find out how much they know about each other and SpongeBob does fantastic. However, Patrick does terribly. Squidward then looks at the book and laughs because Patrick guessed that the shape of SpongeBob was a triangle.
Patrick buys two ice cream cones (but only gets Patrick's favorite flavor which is dill pickle swirl with mustard and extra bacon bits) and asks SpongeBob for money. SpongeBob becomes upset, and he tells Patrick that he doesn't know him anymore after tearfully throwing the money on the ground. He then runs off to his house crying and SpongeBob cries so much that he fills up Gary's food bowl.
Eventually, SpongeBob goes to Sandy for help and she says that they don't have to know everything about each other and they probably just need some time apart. SpongeBob then tries to avoid Patrick, but he sees him go to the gym and many other places with Larry. Patrick is shown with a gift when SpongeBob angrily confronts the two, followed with Larry uncomfortably backing away from them. Patrick then explains that Larry is not his best friend, Larry helped Patrick find a gift for SpongeBob and that he got the gift for SpongeBob, which was a pair of glasses with a fake nose and mustache.
SpongeBob and Patrick become friends again until Patrick gets scared by SpongeBob in the glasses and runs away, with SpongeBob quietly sighing "Why me?"
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Aloha Bikini Bottom - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
‣ Seaweed - Steve Belfer [SpongeBob and Patrick making noises]
‣ Steel Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Didn't think so."]
‣ Unknown Track 34 - "Huh? Did you hear that?"
‣ Cartoon Sting 1 - Simple-Ton magazine
‣ Lite Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Best friend quiz]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Patrick's belly button]
‣ Unknown Hawaiian Sting (i) - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward leaves the kitchen]
‣ Cartoon Sting 3 - SpongeBob does Patrick the first question/SpongeBob does Patrick the second question/SpongeBob does Patrick the third question/SpongeBob does Patrick the fourth question/SpongeBob does Patrick the fifth question.
‣ Unknown Track 18 - Jeopardy-style music
‣ Hello Blues - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["So, who won your stupid quiz?"]
‣ Unknown Track 10 - ice cream truck
‣ Steel Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick takes Spongebob's ice cream]
‣ Fates [#62] - Gregor F. Narholz ["Here! Take your dirty, rotten money!"]
‣ Aloha Eo - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob crying in bed]
‣ Unknown Track 33 - "Hey there, SpongeBob!"
‣ Steel Licks (d) - Jeremy Wakefield [at Sandy's]
‣ Steel Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob cries]
‣ Hawaiian Party - Peter Dennis ["I don't need Patrick."]
‣ Cartoon Sting 2 - SpongeBob hides underground
‣ Steel Licks - Jeremy Wakefield ["He doesn't seem to be missing me at all."]
‣ Slinky Panther Pants - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob spying on Patrick]
‣ Dramatic Impact 6 - Ivor Slaney ["To tell me about your new best friend Larry, I suppose?"]
‣ Steel Sting (f) - Jeremy Wakefield [Larry backs away]
‣ Pua Paoakalani (b) - Kapono Beamer, Queen Lili'uokalani [Patrick explains]
‣ Puka A - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
- As of August 19, 2016, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 6.8/10 based on 92 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 7.1/10 based on 7 votes.
- SpongeBob.com released this episode before it officially premiered on August 9, 2010.
- There was a 3-hour marathon about friendship leading up to the premiere of this episode.
- There are 15 jellyfish on the title card.
- However, they have no spots like in "Tea at the Treedome."
- Also, they're a darker shade of pink.
- In UK airings, the scene where Patrick turns on the blender that SpongeBob is hiding in is cut. When Patrick approaches the blender, it cuts straight to the magic shop.
- In this episode, SpongeBob is ambidextrous, but in "I Was a Teenage Gary," he is left-handed. Also, in "Neptune's Spatula," he has two left hands. Also, in "The Splinter," the eponymoud wood in his right hand prevents him from using his spatula, so he ties it to his nose.
- Though, an explanation for this is that SpongeBob can regrow his appendages like real sponges.
- In this episode, Patrick is right-handed. However, in "The Camping Episode," Patrick is shown writing with his left hand.
- This is the second time Patrick is shown singing "Leedle-Leedle-Lee." The first was in "Shanghaied."
- This is the second appearance of the Magic Shop, but this episode is the first time the interior is seen. The first appearance was in "F.U.N."
- Frank, the owner of the Palace of Pranks from "Pranks a Lot," appears again, this time working at the Magic Shop.
- Coincidentally, there are two Franks in this episode, the first one being Frank the Whale and the second being Frank the store owner.
- There's an episode of The Looney Tunes Show called "Best Friends" that is outwardly similar to this one. In the aforementioned episode, Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck take a quiz about each other, similar to how SpongeBob and Patrick did. Daffy didn't know anything about Bugs, similar to how Patrick didn't know anything about SpongeBob.
- It's revealed that SpongeBob's favorite color is beige, has an outie belly button, and his favorite ice cream flavor is plain vanilla.
- It is also revealed that Patrick likes aquamarine, is right-handed, has an innie belly button, and his favorite ice cream flavor is a double-pickled swirl with mustard and extra bacon bits.
- This episode reveals that Patrick knows nothing about SpongeBob despite being his best friend, not even the most simple things about him.
- When SpongeBob gives Patrick the $5, he throws four bills and four coins on the ground, then cries like crazy. This means that he probably gave Patrick four $1 bills and four quarter coins.
- This episode premiered five years after Meow... Like a Snail was released.
- Squidward is briefly seen reading the Fancy Living Digest magazine from "Chocolate with Nuts" at the beginning of this episode.
- The episode's title is a pun on "You Don't Know Jack!"
- While Larry is at Cooking Supplies, in the first shot, his shorts are green, but in the next shot, they are black.
- When SpongeBob says "No, no, Patrick may not pass the quiz, but like a true best friend, he's always right here, for me, right Patrick?" and looks at the latter, his legs are missing.