- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patrick Star
- Nathiel Waters
- Squidward Tentacles
- Sandy Cheeks
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Mrs. Puff
- Gary the Snail
- Bubble Bass (cameo)
- Angry Old Timer (debut)
- Sheldon J. Plankton (cameo in a drawing)
- Fred (blue)
- Mrs. Tentacles (cameo in a photo)
- Bikini Bottomites
- Nazz-Mimi (blonde hair)
- Officer John Slugfish
- Unnamed Kid (debut)
At SpongeBob's House, SpongeBob SquarePants and Patrick are bored playing with sticks but an advertisement appears that attracts them to a new toy, called the Whirly Brain. They fight over the TV and end up breaking it. But they put it back together and dance around happily.
They then buy the toy and read the steps. Patrick screams, but is relieved that it's just SpongeBob. Their brains start flying in the air and they comment and laugh midair. They also bump together but SpongeBob tells Patrick no more.
They go into a fridge and destroy some part of SpongeBob's house. They shred kelp into sculptures of themselves and Patrick's brain breaks SpongeBob's pineapple skin to reveal Gary in his litterbox. They share a laugh and proceed to spy on Squidward, who is in his bathtub.
SpongeBob's brain lands on Squidward and Patrick says that he may have been in the toilet. Patrick's brain is now in the toilet and Squidward tells them to stop bothering him. He checks his mirror to see SpongeBob's brain on him. Squidward screams, "Aliens from Mars!" and jumps out nude and runs around the streets nude. They fly their brains around town and even switch their bodies. They use their brains to switch drinks around, and spy on Mr. Krabs and Mrs. Puff dating in an alley and brain fart when they are about to kiss. SpongeBob and Patrick get eggs thrown at them, and a kid tells them that all the kids have Whirly Brains, not just them.
Patrick, SpongeBob, and the unnamed kid race but SpongeBob and Patrick's brains land into an old man's house and he takes them as his own. He hides them and SpongeBob wonders where their brains can be. The remote controls die and are in the dark. Patrick finds a dirty diaper and makes it as his own eyes, but SpongeBob removes it. SpongeBob calls Sandy on the phone and she uses a missing brain detector to find the brains.
Sandy's detector leads to the same old man who found their brains. She asks kindly but the old man is snoring. But Sandy just walks in, and they try to look for the brains. The floor creaks, and he wakes up, but Sandy puts a fight with the old man. SpongeBob accidentally trips onto the barrel, and all the brains fly free, and all go back to their original being. The old man cries because he doesn't get to have fun but Sandy and SpongeBob hook SpongeBob's propeller onto the old man so he can fly in the air too and he is having fun as the episode ends. But Squidward is still running around nude.
According to Vincent Waller, the production of season 10 began on October 12, 2015. Vincent also revealed that fans would see a "different flavor in the animation" of the series. On December 18, 2015, Vincent Waller, tweeted some early production work of the first Season 10 episode. As noted on a photo of the script, the first draft was dated November 30, 2015 and the board draft December 4, 2015. On August 8, 2016, Waller tweeted that they had finished retakes on the episode. On August 10, 2016, he revealed that the first episode of season 10 was two 11-minute segments.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Unknown Track 2 - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card.]
‣ Seaweed - Steve Belfer [SpongeBob and Patrick playing with stick and cup.]
‣ Fly by Night - Montague Ewing [Whirly Brain commercial.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (f) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob's TV ripped in half.]
‣ Fly by Night - Montague Ewing [End of commercial.]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer [SpongeBob tries to open Patrick's head.]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford [SpongeBob puts on a scary mask.]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer ["It's just me, Patrick."]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford [Patrick puts the mask on.]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer [Propeller attached to SpongeBob's brain.]
‣ Weekend Break - Phil Green, Geoffrey Love, Ken Thorne ["It's time to free our minds."]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (s) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Patrick, no more eye bumps, okay?"]
‣ Twelfth Street Rag - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob and Patrick fly their brains around SpongeBob's house.]
‣ Latin Lounge - Richard Myhill [Squidward taking a bath.]
‣ Fooling Around - Barry Anthony [SpongeBob and Patrick looking for Squidward.]
‣ Alien Spacecraft (a) - Gregor Narholz [Squidward sees SpongeBob and Patrick's floating brains.]
‣ Long Distance Mission [#20] - Phil Green ["ALIENS FROM MARS! IT'S AN INVASION! AAAHHH!"]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer [SpongeBob and Patrick playing with their brains near the jewelry store.]
‣ Parisienne Episodes [#13] - Gerhard Trede [SpongeBob and Patrick's brains appear at Le Cafe.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob and Patrick laugh.]
‣ Bella Italia - Bruno Bertoli [Krabs and Mrs. Puff on a date.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield [Mrs. Puff inflates.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Oh, Eugene!"]
‣ Buffoonery - Van Phillips [Other kids with Whirly Brains.]
‣ Domestic Fun (c) - Ernest Tomlinson [Fred gets hit by a Whirly Brain.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (o) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Hooray!"]
‣ Monster Wave - Nicolas Carr, Fabian Fernandez, James King [Whirly Brains racing to the end of the street.]
‣ Long Distance Mission [#20] - Phil Green [Old timer captures SpongeBob and Patrick's brains.]
‣ Planet Surface - Gregor Narholz [SpongeBob says they've lost their minds.]
‣ Cartoon Sting 4 - SpongeBob and Patrick looking for their brains.
‣ Space Horizons - Wolf Helling [Everyone calling out for their brains.]
‣ Cartoon Sting 7 - SpongeBob, Patrick, and Sandy enter the old timer's house.
‣ Masked Crusader 2 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Old timer threatens to call the cops.]
‣ Clownfish Capers - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [All the brains are freed.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (j) - Jeremy Wakefield [Old timer cries.]
‣ Unknown Track 2 - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob and Patrick donate their propellers to the old timer.]
‣ Straight from Hell 10 - Gregor Narholz [Ending.]
This section is too short. You can help the Encyclopedia SpongeBobia by expanding it.
- As of September 29, 2017, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 8.0/10 based on 96 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 9.1/10 based on 7 votes.
- The title card is similar to that of "The Inside Job," as both involve brains.
- When this episode premiered, it was paired up with "Scaredy Pants."
- This is the first time the Jewelry Store appears within the TV series. The store used to only be seen in the video games SuperSponge and Employee of the Month.
- This is the second time there's a cage at SpongeBob's house. The first was in "The Fish Bowl."
- This episode reveals that Mr. Krabs and Mrs. Puff have been secretly dating for the last 16 years, indicating that since the events of the episode "Krusty Love," they never stopped seeing each other. In spite of this, in the episode "Summer Job," Mrs. Puff believed Mr. Krabs was asking her on a date as if they've never dated before. However, they may have been trying to hide that they were dating from SpongeBob.
- In the back alley where Mr. Krabs and Mrs. Puff are having a date, the walls of one of the buildings has the word "Sharks" and "Pods" written in graffiti, referencing the season 9 episode "Sharks vs. Pods."
- The fourth wall is broken at the end of this episode when Squidward runs and looks at the camera yelling "You're next!"
- On DirecTV, this episode is listed in Season 9, Episode 29, instead of Season 10, Episode 1. Its sister episode, "Mermaid Pants," shares this trait.
- This episode and "Mermaid Pants" are the only Season 10 episodes to premiere in 2016.
- This is the fourth appearance of Shady Shoals Rest Home without Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy. The first was in "Doing Time," the second was in "Gramma's Secret Recipe," and the third was in "Bulletin Board."
- This episode is set after 2012 because the pink fish in the background is using a smartphone, and smartphones are almost completely commonplace since after 2012.
- This episode is set after or during 2015 because Mrs. Puff and Mr. Krabs have been dating for 16 years, and since the earliest "Krusty Love" can take place is 1999, 16 years later is 2015.
- This episode premiered 13 years after Nickelodeon Toon Twister 3-D was released, seven years after "Atlantis SquarePantis, Part 2" premiered in Poland, three years after the "It's a SpongeBob Christmas! Blu-ray" was released, and two years after the "It Came from Goo Lagoon DVD" was released.
- This episode premiered in Canada seven years after "Blackened Sponge" and "Mermaid Man vs. SpongeBob" premiered in Poland.
- This episode (along with "Mermaid Pants") premiered in the U.K. exactly one year after "Tutor Sauce" premiered in the same region.
- This was Bob Jaques' first episode as an animation director.
- The title and the product featured in the episode is a possible reference to Whirlybirds.
- Whirly Brains could be a reference to remote control helicopters and toy drones.
- The part where SpongeBob and Patrick are seen "hypnotized" to get the "dangerous but popular" Whirly Brains on TV might be a reference to "A Sucker for the Suck-O-Matic" from Rocko's Modern Life, where Rocko, Heffer, and Spunky are also hypnotized to get a dangerous product that later populates the neighborhood, the Suck-O-Matic.
- Patrick's line "M-O-O-N! That spells 'moon!'" is a reference to Stephen King's novel The Stand and its miniseries adaptation which also featured Bill Fagerbakke in the role of Tom Cullen.
- The episode references the FAA putting strict regulations for drone use.
- When Squidward sees Patrick's brain floating up and down, he screams out "Aliens from Mars!" wearing a shirt, but in the next shot, he is wearing no shirt.
- When Patrick starts up his Whirly Brain, he's holding the controller upside-down, but in the next shot, he's holding it correctly. In the next scene, it's once again upside down, and in the rest, including the very next shot, it's being held correctly.
- In the German dub, the title card is mistakenly cut.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick shout "Whirlybrains are go," the mouths stay the shape they were at the end of the phrase until the bubble wipe cleans the screen.
- In the French version, Ed Asner was accidentally credited as executive producer.
- ^ https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/652757750686969856
- ^ https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/655028337652318208
- ^ https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/677995762018476033
- ^ https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/762764922522443776
- ^ https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/763544816747622401
- ^ https://twitter.com/VincentWaller72/status/754427889634770944
- ^ IMDB rating
- ^ TV Rating