"Whirly Brains" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season ten. In this episode, SpongeBob and Patrick get hooked on the latest fad – flying your own brain like a tiny drone.
At SpongeBob's house, SpongeBob and Patrick are bored playing with sticks but an advertisement appears that attracts them to a new toy, called the Whirly Brain, which involves one detaching their brain from their head and putting it on a propeller. Intrigued, they buy the toy and fly their brains around town to spy on citizens and pull pranks.
After getting eggs thrown at them, a kid tells SpongeBob and Patrick that everyone has Whirly Brains and not just them.
Patrick, SpongeBob, and the unnamed kid race but SpongeBob and Patrick's brains land into an old man's house and he takes them as his own. SpongeBob calls Sandy on the phone and she uses a missing brain detector to find the brains.
Sandy's detector leads to the same old man who found their brains. She asks kindly but the old man is snoring. However Sandy just walks in and they try to look for the brains. The floor creaks and he wakes up, but Sandy puts a fight with the old man. SpongeBob accidentally trips onto the barrel, and all of the brains fly free, and all of them go back to their original being
The old man cries because he doesn't get to have fun but Sandy and SpongeBob hook the latter's propeller onto the old man so he can fly in the air too.
According to Vincent Waller, the production of season 10 began on October 12, 2015.
Vincent also revealed that fans would see a "different flavor in the animation" of the series.
On December 18, 2015, Vincent Waller tweeted some early production work of the first season 10 episode. As noted on a photo of the script, the first draft was dated November 30, 2015 and the board draft December 4, 2015.
On August 8, 2016, Waller tweeted that they had finished retakes on the episode.
On August 10, 2016, he revealed that the first episode of season 10 was two 11-minute segments.
Production on the first Season 10 episode
The episode name was confirmed in a tweet by Vincent Waller on July 16, 2016.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Unknown Track 2 - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Title card]
‣ Seaweed - Steve Belfer [SpongeBob and Patrick beat a cup with two sticks.]
‣ Fly by Night - Montague Ewing [Whirly Brain commercial]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (f) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob's TV gets ripped in half.]
‣ Fly by Night - Montague Ewing [End of commercial]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer [SpongeBob tries to open Patrick's head.]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford [SpongeBob puts on a scary mask.]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer ["It's just me, Patrick."]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford [Patrick puts the mask on.]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer [The propeller is attached to SpongeBob's brain.]
‣ Weekend Break - Phil Green, Geoffrey Love, Ken Thorne ["It's time to free our minds."]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (s) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Patrick, no more eye bumps, okay?"]
‣ Twelfth Street Rag - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob and Patrick fly their brains around the former's house.]
‣ Latin Lounge - Richard Myhill [Squidward is taking a bath.]
‣ Fooling Around - Barry Anthony [SpongeBob and Patrick look for Squidward.]
‣ Alien Spacecraft (a) - Gregor Narholz [Squidward sees SpongeBob and Patrick's floating brains.]
‣ Long Distance Mission [#20] - Phil Green ["Aliens from Mars! It's an invasion!"]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer [SpongeBob and Patrick play with their brains near the jewelry store.]
‣ Parisienne Episodes [#13] - Gerhard Trede [SpongeBob and Patrick's brains appear at Le Cafe.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob and Patrick laugh.]
‣ Bella Italia - Bruno Bertoli [Mr. Krabs and Mrs. Puff are on a date.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield [Mrs. Puff inflates.]
‣ Buffoonery - Van Phillips [Other kids with Whirly Brains]
‣ Domestic Fun (c) - Ernest Tomlinson [Fred gets hit by a Whirly Brain.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (o) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Hooray!"]
‣ Monster Wave - Nicolas Carr, Fabian Fernandez, James King [Whirly Brains race to the end of the street.]
‣ Long Distance Mission [#20] - Phil Green [The old timer captures SpongeBob and Patrick's brains.]
‣ Planet Surface - Gregor Narholz [SpongeBob says they have lost their minds.]
‣ Cartoon Sting 4 - SpongeBob and Patrick look for their brains.
‣ Space Horizons - Wolf Helling [Everyone calls out for their brains.]
‣ Cartoon Sting 7 - SpongeBob, Patrick, and Sandy enter the old timer's house.
‣ Masked Crusader 2 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [The old timer threatens to call the cops.]
‣ Clownfish Capers - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [All the brains are freed.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (j) - Jeremy Wakefield [The old timer cries.]
‣ Unknown Track 2 - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob and Patrick donate their propellers to the old timer.]
‣ Straight from Hell 10 - Gregor Narholz [The ending]
- As of September 29, 2017, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 8.0/10 based on 96 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 9.1/10 based on 7 votes.
- The title card is similar to that of "The Inside Job," as both involve brains.
- This episode marks the first appearance of the Jewelry Store within the series. The store was previously only seen in the video games SuperSponge and Employee of the Month.
- This is the second episode to show a cage at SpongeBob's house. The first is "The Fish Bowl."
- This episode reveals that Mr. Krabs and Mrs. Puff have been secretly dating for the last 16 years, indicating that since the events of the episode "Krusty Love," they never stopped seeing each other.
- In spite of this, in the episode "Summer Job," Mrs. Puff believed Mr. Krabs was asking her on a date as if they have never dated before.
- In the back alley where Mr. Krabs and Mrs. Puff have a date, the walls of one of the buildings has the word "Sharks" and "Pods" written in graffiti, referencing the season 9 episode "Sharks vs. Pods."
- The fourth wall is broken at the end of this episode when Squidward runs and looks at the camera yelling "You're next!"
- This episode and "Mermaid Pants" are the only season 10 episodes to premiere in 2016.
- This is the fourth appearance of Shady Shoals Rest Home without Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy. The first is "Doing Time," the second is "Gramma's Secret Recipe," and the third is "Bulletin Board."
- This episode is set after 2012 because the Evelyn is seen using a smartphone, which are almost completely commonplace since after 2012.
- This episode premiered 13 years after Nickelodeon Toon Twister 3-D was released, seven years after "Atlantis SquarePantis, Part 2" premiered in Poland, three years after the It's a SpongeBob Christmas! Blu-ray was released, and two years after the It Came from Goo Lagoon DVD was released.
- This episode premiered in Canada seven years after "Blackened Sponge" and "Mermaid Man vs. SpongeBob" premiered in Poland.
- This episode premiered in the UK one year after "Tutor Sauce" premiered in the same region.
- This was Bob Jaques' first episode as an animation director.
- The title and the product featured in the episode is a possible reference to Whirlybirds.
- Whirly Brains are a reference to remote-control helicopters and toy drones.
- The part where SpongeBob and Patrick are seen "hypnotized" to get the "dangerous but popular" Whirly Brains on TV might be a reference to the Rocko's Modern Life episode "A Sucker for the Suck-O-Matic," where Rocko, Heffer, and Spunky are also hypnotized to get a dangerous product that later populates the neighborhood, the Suck-O-Matic.
- Patrick's line "M-O-O-N! That spells 'moon!'" is a reference to Stephen King's novel The Stand and its miniseries adaptation, which also featured Bill Fagerbakke in the role of Tom Cullen.
- The episode references the FAA putting strict regulations for drone use.
- On DirecTV, this episode is listed in "Season 9, Episode 29," instead of "Season 10, Episode 1."
- When Squidward sees Patrick's brain floating up and down, he screams out "Aliens from Mars!" wearing a shirt, but in the next shot, he is not wearing a shirt.
- When Patrick starts up his Whirly Brain, he is holding the controller upside-down, but in the next shot, he is holding it correctly. In the next scene, it is once again upside-down, and in the rest, including the very next shot, it is being held correctly.
- On early airings of the German dub, the title card is mistakenly cut. This was fixed on later airings.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick shout "Whirlybrains are go," the mouths stay the shape they were at the end of the phrase until the bubble wipe cleans the screen.
- In the French version, Ed Asner was accidentally credited as executive producer.
- On the shot of the old timer's house, the sign "No Trespassing" is misspelled as "No Tresspassing."