"What Ever Happened to SpongeBob?" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season five. In this episode, SpongeBob develops amnesia and goes missing.
SpongeBob wakes up on a normal day, as usual. He looks out his window and sees the mailman riding by on his bike. He says "Hi" to the mailman. This greeting causes the mailman to get distracted, and a truck crashes into him. After that, SpongeBob wants to spend time with his friends; however, he ends up upsetting them: He accidentally breaks Gary's shell, crushes Patrick's cake, disturbs Squidward's beauty sleep, destroys Sandy's robot, and deep fries Mr. Krabs' money (and himself). SpongeBob decides to leave Bikini Bottom, believing all his friends hate him (and cruelly call him "idiot boy"). As he leaves, he is scared by mysterious figures in the shadows. While he runs from the creatures, he falls off a cliff and bumps his head, and he gets a lump, and then his bundle hits him on the head, knocking him unconscious.
Back in Bikini Bottom, Patrick, who knocks on SpongeBob's door wants to borrow some sauce for his milkshake, is approached by Sandy (who presumably came to apologize). The two enter the house where they find Gary who is huge and overweight and a note from SpongeBob, explaining that he has run away. They go to Mr. Krabs and Squidward who deal with a mob of angry and hungry customers to tell them that SpongeBob has left town due to causing trouble. After reading the note, Mr. Krabs confirms that SpongeBob wrote it and everybody is upset and guilty that SpongeBob is gone, with the obvious exception of Squidward, who is delighted and laughs cruelly and remorselessly. Mr. Krabs closes off the Krusty Krab until the group can find SpongeBob and bring him back to Bikini Bottom.
Meanwhile, SpongeBob wakes up with amnesia where he finds a couple of fish (who thought he was taking a "dirt nap"), give him a new name, "CheeseHead BrownPants," and take advantage of his amnesia so that they can steal his possessions. All SpongeBob has left is a bottle of bubble soap which causes the couple to run off for some reason. SpongeBob then wanders around until he ends up in New Kelp City where he attempts to get a job. Each time he gets a job he uses his bubble blowing ability to help him, though, like the couple he encountered, this strikes fear into all the residents of the city, all resulting in him being fired.
Eventually, this activity attracts the attention of the Bubble Poppin' Boys, a menacing street gang who have scared the city into never blowing bubbles ever again since the bubbles burn their eyes. They decide to show him what they do to rule breakers by beating up SpongeBob, who quickly runs off as the gang chases him until he is cornered.
SpongeBob then uses his bubble blowing ability to trap them in a large bubble and gets rid of the gang sending them out the city, which frees the town of their reign.
As a result, SpongeBob is rewarded the position of mayor of New Kelp City by its previous owner who immediately retires.
Back in Bikini Bottom, Mr. Krabs is hoping for the return of SpongeBob so he can prepare his station, while Patrick and Sandy want their friend back. Sandy has invented a Sponge-Tracker device to help them track SpongeBob, but Squidward, not wanting SpongeBob to come back, purposefully destroys the device with a hammer, claiming he dropped it, but nobody buys his blatant lie. Furious, Mr. Krabs demands Squidward to find SpongeBob, but Squidward still refuses, even being unfazed when Mr. Krabs threatens to fire him. Then Mr. Krabs comes up with the perfect method to get Squidward to cooperate with the search for SpongeBob. With some quick and clever thinking, he offers Squidward a jeweled Fabergé egg which the latter notes will complete his collection. However, Mr. Krabs tells him that if he wants it, he'll have to bring SpongeBob back to Bikini Bottom. This offer finally convinces Squidward to help with the search party, and he chooses his love of art over his hatred of SpongeBob. With that, Patrick, Sandy, and Squidward then set out to locate SpongeBob before stopping at a gas station. The trio are shocked to see a newspaper stand showing news of SpongeBob's position as mayor of New Kelp City.
With this, they go to New Kelp City to retrieve him just as he is giving a speech. However, he can't remember them, due to his amnesia which causes Sandy to say he'll have to come home to regain his memory but he refuses. When SpongeBob gets into a limo to attend a meeting, Squidward manages to hijack it allowing them to take SpongeBob and return him to Bikini Bottom.
They take him back to the Krusty Krab, but he is still unable to recall anything and wants to return to NKC. Squidward, who doesn't care if SpongeBob stays or not, demands the Fabergé egg from Mr. Krabs since he brought back SpongeBob (on a technicality). Mr. Krabs sadly agrees and reluctantly hands Squidward the jeweled egg. As Squidward marvels on his new jeweled egg, he slips on a greasy spatula, causing the egg to fly out of his hands and hit SpongeBob on the head, shattering it--but the impact gives SpongeBob his memory back. Overjoyed that their friend is back to normal, Patrick, Sandy and Mr. Krabs, apologize for running him out of town. But even so, SpongeBob still wants to return to his position as mayor, because he feels bubble blowing needs to be commonplace in New Kelp City society. Everyone is distraught that SpongeBob would leave again, except Squidward who is delighted at this to replace the loss of his Fabergé egg.
At that moment, a news report comes on the TV saying that the bubbles in New Kelp City are causing mayhem. A thug then threatens him. Upon hearing this, SpongeBob has second thoughts about going back to NKC and decides to stay in Bikini Bottom forever. A dismayed Squidward opens his head, and he throws his brain in a trash bin.
The episode was first announced by Nickelodeon on September 24, 2008 on a press release. According to the network, SpongeBob "wanders the ocean, a stranger in his own pants," and finds himself in a rough part of New Kelp City, where he faces off against the Boys' gangleader.
- After Patrick says "Just a cake for my mom that I spent all day making, as he walks back into his rock, He turns around and looks back at SpongeBob and says "I'm gonna go back and make a 2nd birthday cake that my mother will like!"
- After Sandy's robot breaks, Sandy shows SpongeBob its broken head.
- During the scene when the creepy people are scaring SpongeBob, a Scallop is shown crowing
- After SpongeBob says "Ooh, boy! That's quite a lump!" Then he says "I better not hit my head again. That might cause a concussion."
- After all the people run away from the bubble SpongeBob blew, he says "What could possibly be wrong with practicing the bubble arts? Seems like a harmless activity."
- During SpongeBob's speech, he says "I can't say that I blame you."
Patrick and SpongeBob - "I'm gonna go back and make a 2nd b-day cake my mother will like!"
SpongeBob looking at Sandy's broken robot
"I better not hit my head again. That might cause a concussion."
"What could possibly be wrong with practicing the bubble arts?"
"Seems like a harmless activity."
"I can't say that I blame you."
‣ Open and End Fanfare
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
- Nino Nardini ["Ahoy, it's a SpongeBob SquarePants special!"]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr ["Ahoy, it's a SpongeBob SquarePants special!"]
‣ Bubble Poppin' Boys - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [title card]
‣ Marching to Honolulu - Kapono Beamer [SpongeBob wakes up]
‣ Dramatic Impact 2 - Ivor Slaney [mailman hit by a truck]
‣ Dancing the Hula - Kapono Beamer ["Isn't life great, Gary?"]
‣ Comic Walk - Sidney Torch [Squidward wakes up]
‣ Dancing the Hula - Kapono Beamer ["...the best job..."]
‣ Sailor's Sting 3 - "He's already ten seconds late!"
‣ Dancing the Hula - Kapono Beamer ["...and of course, the bestest[sic] pet!"]
‣ Steel Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I'm sorry! I'm sorry!"]
‣ Seaweed - Steve Belfer [Patrick's cake ruined]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Ooh."]
‣ Comic Walk - Sidney Torch ["Don't you ever wake me from my beauty sleep!"]
‣ Unknown Hawaiian Sting (a) - Sandy working on an invention
‣ Fanfare (b) - Nicolas Carr [pan of robot]
‣ Crescendo Fin 10 A - Marcin Pospieszalski [robot's eyes light up]
‣ Exotic Sting - Nicolas Carr [robot dances]
‣ Dramatic Impact 5 - Ivor Slaney [SpongeBob spills water on the robot]
‣ Steel Licks (d) - Jeremy Wakefield [robot explodes]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band [at the Krusty Krab]
‣ Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob crashes into pots, pans]
‣ The Rake Hornpipe - Robert Alexander White [Krabs in his office]
‣ From the Dead - Ronald Hanmer [Krabs falls into grease fryer]
‣ Unknown Track 32 - money fried
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob kicked out]
‣ Pua Paoakalani (b) - Kapono Beamer, Queen Lili'uokalani [SpongeBob's sad]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill [SpongeBob leaves town]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob hears something]
‣ Someone Coming - Raymond C. Jones [people making weird noises]
‣ Editor's Run Down (b) - Dick Stephen Walter [SpongeBob falling off cliff]
‣ Editor's Run Down (a) - Dick Stephen Walter [SpongeBob falling off cliff]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob's hit on the head]
‣ Closing the Door - Nicolas Carr [back at home...]
‣ Seaweed - Steve Belfer [Patrick knocking on SpongeBob's door]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford ["We ain't got time for that!"]
‣ Drama Link (b) - Hubert Clifford [Gary's huge]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr [note from SpongeBob]
‣ O Makalapua (b) - Kapono Beamer [Sandy reads it]
‣ Furtive Footsteps - Paddy Kingsland [SpongeBob wakes up with amnesia]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford ["Bubbles?!"]
‣ Bikini Bottom News Theme - Nicolas Carr [breaking news]
‣ West Side Rumble - Sam Spence ["Bikini Bottom is in a state of total chaos tonight."]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band ["Where the barnacles is SpongeBob?!"]
‣ Murder in Mind [#46] - Ronald Hanmer [Sandy and Patrick enter]
‣ Fates [#61] - Gregor F. Narholz [everyone's sad that SpongeBob's gone]
‣ What Shall We Do with the Drunken Sailor - Okko Bekker [group meeting]
‣ Bizarre Swing - Mark Winter [SpongeBob in New Kelp City]
‣ Surrender 6 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["I'm a jobless deadbeat?"]
‣ Surrender 8 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [SpongeBob getting hungry]
‣ Steel Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Not a penny to my name."]
‣ ? - Nicolas Carr [Help Wanted sign at a bank]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford ["What do you think you're doing?!"]
‣ Steel Link (b) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob kicked out]
‣ Skyscraper City - Ronald Hanmer [SpongeBob as a construction worker]
‣ Joe Cool - Nino Nardini ["I do not understand this!"]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr [Sandy's sponge-tracking device]
‣ The Pollywog Strut - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Oh, you're saying this thing can actually find SpongeBob?"]
‣ Steel Sting (b) - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward destroys it]
‣ Goofy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Krabs yells at Squidward]
‣ Angelic Choir - Jim Rattigan [Faberge egg]
‣ Tympup (c) - Sammy Burdson, John Charles Fiddy ["Not so fast."]
‣ Joe Cool - Nino Nardini [SpongeBob wandering through the city]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill ["We're just waiting in line for a new video game."]
‣ Dramatic Cue (a) - Ronald Hanmer ["You can't do that here!"]
‣ Harp Gliss 1 - Otto Sieben [SpongeBob blows a bubble]
‣ Dramatic Cue (b) - Ronald Hanmer [everyone runs away]
‣ Bubble Poppin' Boys - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Bubble Poppin' Boys introduced]
‣ Hit and Run - Sam Spence [they chase SpongeBob]
‣ Chase That Car - Laurie Johnson [SpongeBob falls]
‣ Hit and Run - Sam Spence [SpongeBob traps BPBs inside a bubble]
‣ Champions March [#7] - Harry Bluestone ["Do you realize what you've done?"]
‣ Movie Overture - Larry Hochman [SpongeBob appointed mayor]
‣ Patchy's Parched Blues - Nicolas Carr [Sandy, Patrick and Squidward looking for SpongeBob]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer ["Oh, I knew I'd find you, buddy!"]
‣ Dramatic Impact 2 - Ivor Slaney ["SpongeBob's mayor of New Kelp City!"]
‣ Hail to the Chief (a) - Will Schaefer [SpongeBob's speech]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["It's me, Sandy!"]
‣ Fight for Ol'Schaefer U. - Will Schaefer [SpongeBob and Patrick's tattoo]
‣ Hail to the Chief - George Wilson ["I'm late for a meeting."]
‣ Sponge Monger - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward driving the limousine]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band [at the Krusty Krab]
‣ Steel Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I'll just go back to my modest job as mayor of a major city."]
‣ Steel Licks - Jeremy Wakefield ["SpongeBob's leaving for real this time!"]
‣ Hallelujah Chorus from Messiah - George Frideric Handel [Krabs gives Squidward the Faberge egg]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [Squidward slips]
‣ House of Horror - W. Merrick Farran [egg hits SpongeBob on the head]
‣ Botany Bay (b) - Robert Alexander White ["We're really sorry we ran you out of town."]
‣ Bikini Bottom News Theme - Nicolas Carr [KNKC Special Report]
‣ Wahini Wobble - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
- As of May 9, 2017, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 7.0/10 based on 179 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 7.3/10 based on 159 votes.
- Although this episode premiered in 2008, it was made in 2007 according to the credits.
- The title card has two quotations on the title. The episode itself doesn't have those quotations.
- This episode was advertised as "WhoBob WhatPants?"
- In countries outside the U.S., like European ones (UK, Greece, Hungary etc.) and Korea, this episode and "SpongeBob SquarePants and The Big Wave" were promoted as part of The Year of the Sponge - Think Happy, the show's 10th anniversary.
- To promote the special in Korea, Eun Ji-Won would dub the theme song in a clip, this time, following auditions where five of the children attending them, would have the opportunity to sing with him.
European promo (with a prototype of the question mark from the logo, since this would air in the CEE feed)
- In October 3, 2008, TurboNick featured a special playlist of content dedicated to the episode, including a sneak-peek of the special, themed episodes, short-form content, song clips, and an instant replay of the special following the television premiere.
- Rather than the usual traditional SpongeBob SquarePants Theme Song playing at the beginning of the episode, instead the "SpongeBob SquarePants" parts have been altered to say "WhoBob WhatPants."
- This is the only season 5 episode where Squidward is the main antagonist.
- Here are the things that SpongeBob did to get called "Idiot Boy:"
- He accidentally destroyed Patrick's mom's birthday cake.
- He disturbed Squidward's beauty sleep.
- He tripped over and splashed water on Sandy's robot, thus destroying it.
- He accidentally knocked Mr. Krabs' money and Mr. Krabs himself into the fryer.
- Sandy appeared to be either MIG or TIG welding. However, she had no protective clothes on except for her head shield (especially dangerous as she is covered in fur), and her gloves appeared to be rubber instead of rawhide.
- In "New Digs," SpongeBob was one minute late, and Mr. Krabs was okay with this. In this episode, he is not okay with SpongeBob being ten seconds late. He, however, did say "don't do it again!"
- Bikini Bottom's population is revealed to have been 538 (SpongeBob crosses out the "8" before leaving, so the population was 537 for the duration of this episode).
- According to Patrick when Sandy was asking him where SpongeBob was, he said that he has been knocking on SpongeBob's door for 3 hours.
- Mr. Krabs reads SpongeBob's note without an eyesight problem, but in "Greasy Buffoons," he reads it with glasses on.
- In "Texas," Sandy uses a handle to flush her tears out of her helmet. However, in this episode, she doesn't use it.
- The first reason why Sandy didn't use the handle is that she was too upset to see SpongeBob leave forever.
- Another reason why is because this time there weren't enough tears to fill up Sandy's helmet.
- While walking in New Kelp City, SpongeBob asks an orange fish, "Is there something wrong with me?" After that, a hideous face of SpongeBob appears, which has become an internet meme around YouTube. The fish is also the one who ordered the Monster Krabby Patty in the episode "All That Glitters."
- After Squidward destroys the Sponge-Tracker, Mr. Krabs' nose swells up and explodes with a jet of water. Real-life crabs can do this, but instead, they squirt water from their eyes.
- Squidward's hatred for SpongeBob is demonstrated in this episode, as he attempts to sabotage the search efforts, to the point where Mr. Krabs has to bribe him.
- Ray Liotta has been a voice actor three times before: the first time as, Tommy Vercetti, the protagonist of the video game Grand Theft Auto: Vice City; the second time as the lead Bubble Poppin' Boy in this episode; and the third time as himself in the 2007 animated film, Bee Movie.
- The mayor of New Kelp City appears in the episodes, "Doing Time," "The Great Snail Race," and "Drive Thru." He appears again in the episode "Safe Deposit Krabs" where he is at the grand opening of the Bank of Bikini Bottom Bank.
- The handcrafted jewel encrusted ornamental egg was presumably a fake as jewels and diamonds are extremely hard and wouldn't break easily upon hitting somebody's head.
- Nat is shown in Bikini Bottom and New Kelp City.
- Most of the citizens of New Kelp City are citizens of Bikini Bottom.
- This is the first episode where SpongeBob appeared on a title card. SpongeBob will next appear on the title card as a drawing in "Oral Report," as a cutout in "Restraining SpongeBob," and in a close-up view in "InSPONGEiac."
- This is the first episode where Mr. Krabs gets deep fried golden brown. He would later get deep fried golden brown again in "Mermaid Pants."
- This is the first episode where SpongeBob has a lump on his head. The second is in "Salsa Imbecilicus" and the third is in "Mutiny on the Krusty."
- This is the first episode where SpongeBob tries to get a job at a bank and a construction site. The second is in "Model Sponge."
- This is the first episode where Patrick lifts up a road. The second is in "Squid Baby."
- This is the first episode where the "Hallelujah" theme plays. The second time this theme plays is in "Mr. Krabs Takes a Vacation."
- This is the second episode to have an alternate opening sequence. The first one is "Christmas Who?," the third one is "Truth or Square," and the fourth is "It's a SpongeBob Christmas!."
- This is the second episode with a full character displayed on the title card. The first was Plankton and Mr. Krabs on the "Friend or Foe" title card.
- This is the second time SpongeBob is mistaken for cheese. The first time was in Nicktoons Unite! when Timmy Turner first meets SpongeBob.
- This is the second episode that SpongeBob is homeless. The first was "Home Sweet Pineapple."
- This is the only episode to be longer than 20 minutes and to be dubbed and broadcast in Welsh. However, it is split up into two parts.
- This episode premiered two years after "Bummer Vacation" premiered.
- This episode, along with "Are You Happy Now?," "Can You Spare a Dime?," "Christmas Who?," "Have You Seen This Snail?," "Hide and Then What Happens?," "What's Eating Patrick?," "Goodbye, Krabby Patty?," and "Sportz?" are the only episodes to end in a question mark.
- This episode takes place before "Sing a Song of Patrick" as all the members of the Unnamed band appear in this episode.
- This is Ivy's 50th episode appearance.
- If the altered title of this episode "WhoBob WhatPants" counts, then this is one of the episodes that is a play on SpongeBob's name in the title. The other four episodes being "MuscleBob BuffPants," "SquidBob TentaclePants," "SpongeBob LongPants," and "CopyBob DittoPants."
- This episode, along with "Have You Seen This Snail?" and "Pest of the West" has a Patchy the Pirate opening in Flash animation.
- The title card music for this episode is not used again until "Sharks vs. Pods," 100 episodes later.
- The title of the episode may be a parody of the novel, What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? by Henry Farrell, complete with the words "what" and "ever" being separate from each other.
- Mr. and Mrs. Dollar could possibly be a spoof of Jack and Rose from the movie Titanic.
- After SpongeBob wakes up, the two hobos taking his clothes are similar to the two men in "A Christmas Carol," and could be a parody of them.
- New Kelp City is a parody of New York City.
- The Bubble Poppin' Boys are a parody of The Burger Palace Boys in the original musical film Grease.
- In the first shot of Sandy, Patrick, and Squidward in the crowd in New Kelp City, there is a fish in the crowd that has a similar outfit to Pee-wee Herman.
- There was a hole in the top of SpongeBob's water helmet; however, when he went back out into the water outside the treedome, you could still see his water helmet on despite being in underwater.
- When "Mr. Dollar and Mrs. Dollar" are in the grease, instead of sinking in and never coming back out, they get deep fried and break apart. This scene may have just been Mr. Krabs fantasizing, though.
- When Mr. Krabs kicked SpongeBob out of the Krusty Krab, he landed on the opposite of the Krusty Krab. However, that is where the Chum Bucket is supposed to be.
- In the scene where Sandy brushes through the door, Patrick landed on his milkshake, but his milkshake was intact, which is physically impossible unless it went up to his mouth.
- When the builder hides behind a pile of metal, he seems less tall than usual.
- When Squidward says "You mean this can actually find SpongeBob?" his voice is out of sync with the animation.
- When the line of people is afraid of the bubble, it would have either floated upward or popped before it got to the front of the line.
- After his bubble boat popped, it showed that SpongeBob was about to fall onto the sidewalk, but he landed on the street.
- When Squidward is shown driving SpongeBob's limo, the front flag is missing.
- Comcast claims this is the eleventh episode of the sixth season. It's actually from the fifth season
- Also they're guide lists it as "Whatever Happened To SpongeBob" omitting the episode's question mark.
- The Nickelodeon guide for Comcast/Xfinity also says this.
Whobob whatpants promo
Promo for the episode
Who Bob What Pants
Promo for the website
WHOBOB WHATPANTS Preview
The website for the event
WhoBob WhatPants Bumpers (2008)
WhoBob WhatPants REKLÁM-NICKELODEON 2009
European promo (Hungarian audio track)
Eun Ji Won - Spongebob Opening.mp4