- Boys Who Cry (debut)
- Dream Boys Who Cry
- Pearl Krabs
- Pearl's Friends
- Bryan Flounder
- Dream Bryan Flounder
- Dream Dave
- Dream Nat Peterson
- Abigail Marge
- Dream Abigail Marge
- Dream Scooter
- Dream Martin
- Billy Fishkins
- Dream Billy Fishkins
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Naval Officer (in a picture)
- Frank the Red-Shirt-Wearing Fish
- Frank the Citizen
- Frankie Billy
- Tina Fran
- Monroe Timmy
- Nathiel Waters
- Miss Rechid
- Taylor Fishbowl
- Shelly Fishbowl
- Susie Rechid
- Jimmy Gus
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Dog Fish
- Squidward Tentacles
- Medley Fishbowl
- Marcy (mentioned)
- Julie Fish (mentioned)
- Angela (mentioned)
- Brad (mentioned)
- Cashier (debut)
- Sea-Pony (debut)
- Daydream Sea-Pony
- Green Shopper (debut)
Pearl Krabs has had fifteen horrible birthday parties and her sixteenth birthday is just one day away. Her father, Eugene H. Krabs, is forced to give Pearl the best birthday ever, or else.
Pearl's high school reputation will "collapse, she will have to drop out of highschool to avoid embarrassment, she will not go off to college, she will never leave home, and Mr. Krabs will have to support Pearl for the rest of her life." While Mr. Krabs works on the party, SpongeBob SquarePants is assigned the task of figuring out what Pearl would like for a birthday present. Mr. Krabs gives him his credit card, so that if something Pearl wants should be bought, it can be bought with any credit card. So SpongeBob trails Pearl and her friends through the Bikini Bottom mall and takes note of everything she desires. However, he uses Mr. Krabs' credit card to buy everything Pearl admires.Once Pearl arrives at her party with her friends, she is horrified to find that her dad's miserly ways have won out again. The popcorn is stale, the drinks are dishwater, Pearl's ice sculpture is made out of four-hundred pounds of raw Krabby Patties, the cake is made out of cardboard and frosting, and even Squidward Tentacles sings a song called "Four-Ply," instead of the Boys Who Cry, which disgusts everyone. Pearl is also extremely hurt that her father couldn't even stop being cheap for her, even despite the fact that he says he will make it up to her somehow. When Pearl runs outside crying, SpongeBob shows up with a truck-load of presents. Everything Pearl looked at in the mall SpongeBob bought maxing out Mr. Krabs' credit card in the process. Finally, he reveals one last gift: a live performance from Boys Who Cry. Pearl is thrilled and thanks her dad for getting everything she wanted, even though he's stifling his intense annoyance with SpongeBob.
This section is in need of cleanup in order to comply with Encyclopedia SpongeBobia's Manual of Style. Please help Encyclopedia SpongeBobia by making this section specific and short.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Happy Sponge Chase Vibes - Nicolas Carr [title card]
◦ It's All About You - Tom King, Andy Paley [plays on the radio]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr [Pearl wakes up]
‣ The Achterhoek Dances - Jan Rap ["Morning, Daddy!"/"I'm going to be 16!"]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Hawaiian sting]
‣ Surfer Baby (d) - Jerry Burnham [Pearl at high school]
‣ Jenny's Music Box - Peter Dennis [flashback to earlier birthday party]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill [Pearl crying]
‣ Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield ["Bubble wrap!"]
‣ Steel Sting (b) - Jeremy Wakefield [Pearl's list of things she wants at the party]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band [Krabs assigns SpongeBob to buy Pearl's gift]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["I can buy stuff with this piece of plastic?"]
‣ Unknown Track 45 - Nicolas Carr [choir]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band ["Remember, nothing's too good for me little Pearl."]
‣ Spongeburglar - Nicolas Carr ["Do some detective work."]
‣ Poppin' Around - Bruce Campbell [Pearl at the mall]
‣ The Dreadnought Tea Clipper (b) - Tim Laycock, Robert Alexander White ["I've had that since the day she was born."]
‣ Holiday Magic - Malcom Lockyer, Bert Weedon [sea pony]
‣ Steel Sting (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [Pearl riding pony]
‣ Lovely Scenery (c) - Mladen Franko [pony crushed]
‣ Holiday Magic - Malcom Lockyer, Bert Weedon [SpongeBob disguised as dog fish]
‣ The King's Codpiece - Paddy Kingsland [Krabby Patty sculpture of Pearl]
‣ Keel Row - Brian Peters ["Well, we've got the decor covered."]
‣ Four & Three - Harold Geller [SpongeBob getting Pearl's gifts]
‣ Steel Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I'm back, Mr. Krabs!"]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr ["It's a boy?!"]
‣ The Achterhoek Dances - Jan Rap [stale popcorn]
◦ 4-Ply - Vincent Waller, Andy Paley [Squidward sings this]
‣ Steel Licks (d) - Jeremy Wakefield [Pearl crying]
‣ Cream Pie - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [delivery truck arrives]
◦ It's All About You - Tom King, Andy Paley [ending]
- This episode is available on the Whale of a Birthday, Season 4 Volume 2, Complete Fourth Season, and First 100 Episodes DVDs.
- "Whale of a Birthday" was ranked #60 during the Best Day Ever event on November 9–10, 2006.
- As of August 11, 2016, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 7.3/10 based on 214 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a 6.7/10 based on 186 votes.
- This episode and "Karate Island" were shown before "Chimps Ahoy" and "Ghost Host" on YTV in Canada.
- They also have DVD releases of the same names.
- This is the Bikini Bottom High School's first appearance in the series.
- While Boys Who Cry were singing, Pearl's friends had copies of themselves:
- Three of her friends with the blue hair, and two yellow-haired.
- There are 20 hearts on the title card.
- This is the second episode to have hearts on the title card.
- Mr. Krabs could not stop being cheap, even for Pearl's 16th birthday, even though he was surprisingly generous in the later episode "Best Day Ever," paying for SpongeBob's play.
- This shows how selfish and miserable he can really be.
- When Mr. Krabs asks SpongeBob where Pearl's present is, SpongeBob says the delivery truck will be there momentarily.
- Mr. Krabs should have seen this as a red flag as to how much he actually spent.
- At the ending of recent airings, after SpongeBob said "You're a good dad, Mr. Krabs" the episode instantly ended when it cut to blank, leaving out Mr. Krabs' line "Don't push your luck, boy."
- This line was still heard on YTV/Nicktoons airings and DVD releases.
- The title card background was previously used in "Wormy" during the song.
- Mr. Krabs said he's kept the "It's a Boy" banner since Pearl was born. This could heavily imply that he is in fact her real dad.
- In the Croatian dub, the episode name is "Koraljkin Rođendan" or "Pearl's Birthday."
- In "Mid-Life Crustacean," Pearl states that the term "coral" is out. However, it was used in this episode.
- It is possible that this episode takes place before "Mid-Life Crustacean."
- Despite being shown to be really cheap, he buys the Flipper Slippers for Pearl in "Squeaky Boots."
- When Pearl said about a girl named Angela that she likes a guy named Brad, it could be a reference to Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie.
- In this episode "Master Carp" card was shown. It is a parody of the "MasterCard" credit-card.
- When Pearl runs out of her school, right directly across from her school is the Krusty Krab.
- In most episodes, right directly across from the Krusty Krab is the Chum Bucket.
- When Pearl runs into the citizens in the Krusty Krab crying, the tables are plain beige instead of their normal designs.
- Near the end, when Boys Who Cry sing, the red fish sings the line "You get your very own spotlight tonight" while the blue and green fish did the "oohs," if you look closely, you can see them mouthing the line.
- At the beginning of the episode, Pearl mentions that her birthday is the next day, but it seems to be the same day throughout the rest of the episode.
- When Pearl smashed her bedroom floor, Mr. Krabs says "Neptune's Trousers!" Closed captions on Sky say "Neptune's Treasures!"