"Whale of a Birthday" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season four. In this episode, Mr. Krabs sends SpongeBob to get Pearl a birthday present.
Pearl has had fifteen horrible birthday parties and her sixteenth birthday is just one day away. Her father, Mr. Krabs, is forced to give her the best birthday ever or else Pearl's high school reputation will "collapse, she will have to drop out of high school to avoid embarrassment, she will not go off to college, she will never leave home, and Mr. Krabs will have to support Pearl for the rest of her life." While Mr. Krabs works on the party, SpongeBob is assigned the task of figuring out what Pearl would like for a birthday present. Mr. Krabs gives him his credit card, so that if something Pearl wants should be bought, it can be bought with the credit card. So SpongeBob trails Pearl and her friends through the Bikini Bottom Mall and takes note of everything she desires. However, he uses Mr. Krabs' credit card to buy everything Pearl admires.
Once Pearl arrives at her birthday party with her friends, she is horrified to find that her dad's miserly ways have won out again. The popcorn is stale, the drinks are dishwater, Pearl's ice sculpture is made out of four-hundred pounds of raw Krabby Patties
, the cake is made out of cardboard and frosting, and even Squidward sings a song called "Four-Ply
" instead of Boys Who Cry, which disgusts everyone. Pearl is also extremely hurt that her father couldn't even stop being cheap for her, even despite the fact
that he says he will make it up to her somehow.
When Pearl runs outside crying, SpongeBob shows up with a truck-load of presents. Everything Pearl looked at in the mall SpongeBob bought maxing out Mr. Krabs' credit card in the process. Finally, he reveals one last gift: a live performance from Boys Who Cry. Pearl is thrilled and thanks her dad for getting everything she wanted, even though he's stifling his intense annoyance with SpongeBob.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Happy Sponge Chase Vibes - Nicolas Carr [title card]
◦ It's All About You - Tom King, Andy Paley [plays on the radio]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr [Pearl wakes up]
‣ The Achterhoek Dances - Jan Rap ["Morning, Daddy!"/"I'm going to be 16!"]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Hawaiian sting]
‣ Surfer Baby (d) - Jerry Burnham [Pearl at high school]
‣ Jenny's Music Box - Peter Dennis [flashback to earlier birthday party]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill [Pearl crying]
‣ Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield ["Bubble wrap!"]
‣ Steel Sting (b) - Jeremy Wakefield [Pearl's list of things she wants at the party]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band [Mr. Krabs assigns SpongeBob to buy Pearl's gift]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["I can buy stuff with this piece of plastic?"]
‣ Unknown Track 45 - Nicolas Carr [choir]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band ["Remember, nothing's too good for me little Pearl."]
‣ Spongeburglar - Nicolas Carr ["Do some detective work."]
‣ Poppin' Around - Bruce Campbell [Pearl at the mall]
‣ The Dreadnought Tea Clipper (b) - Tim Laycock, Robert Alexander White ["I've had that since the day she was born."]
‣ Holiday Magic - Malcom Lockyer, Bert Weedon [sea pony]
‣ Steel Sting (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [Pearl riding pony]
‣ Lovely Scenery (c) - Mladen Franko [pony crushed]
‣ Holiday Magic - Malcom Lockyer, Bert Weedon [SpongeBob disguised as dog fish]
‣ The King's Codpiece - Paddy Kingsland [Krabby Patty sculpture of Pearl]
‣ Keel Row - Brian Peters ["Well, we've got the decor covered."]
‣ Four & Three - Harold Geller [SpongeBob getting Pearl's gifts]
‣ Steel Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I'm back, Mr. Krabs!"]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr ["It's a boy?!"]
‣ The Achterhoek Dances - Jan Rap [stale popcorn]
◦ 4-Ply - Vincent Waller, Andy Paley [Squidward sings this]
‣ Steel Licks (d) - Jeremy Wakefield [Pearl crying]
‣ Cream Pie - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [delivery truck arrives]
◦ It's All About You - Tom King, Andy Paley [ending]
- "Whale of a Birthday" was ranked #60 during the Best Day Ever event on November 9–10, 2006.
- As of August 11, 2016, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 7.3/10 based on 214 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 6.7/10 based on 186 votes.
- 7:00 AM: Pearl wakes up.
- 2:46 PM: Pearl runs into the Krusty Krab crying
- 2:36 PM: Squidward shows Mr. Krabs his portrait of Pearl
- 3:47 PM: SpongeBob returns to the Krusty Krab/Pearl and her friends enters the Krusty Krab
- Almost 4:48 PM: Pearl runs out of the Krusty Krab Crying
- After "Help Wanted," "The Chaperone," and "Mid-Life Crustacean"
- One year before "Squeaky Boots"
- Before "Drive Thru"
- This episode and "Karate Island" were shown before "Chimps Ahoy" and "Ghost Host" on YTV in Canada.
- They also have DVD releases of the same names.
- This episode marks the first appearance of Bikini Bottom High School.
- While Boys Who Cry sing, Pearl's friends have copies of themselves:
- Three of her friends with the blue hair and two yellow-haired
- There are 20 hearts on the title card.
- This is the second episode to have hearts on the title card. The first is "Valentine's Day."
- When Mr. Krabs asks SpongeBob where Pearl's present is, SpongeBob says the delivery truck will be there momentarily.
- Mr. Krabs should have seen this as a red flag as to how much he actually spent.
- At the ending of recent airings, after SpongeBob says "You're a good dad, Mr. Krabs," the episode instantly ended when it cut to blank, leaving out Mr. Krabs' line "Don't push your luck, boy."
- This line was still heard on YTV/Nicktoons airings and DVD releases.
- The title card background was previously used in "Wormy" during the song "That's What Friends Do."
- In the Croatian dub, the episode's title is "Koraljkin Rođendan" or "Pearl's Birthday."
- In "Mid-Life Crustacean," Pearl states that the term "coral" is outdated. However, it is used in this episode.
- It is possible that this episode takes place before "Mid-Life Crustacean."
- When Pearl says a girl named Angela likes a guy named Brad, it could be a reference to Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie.
- In this episode, Master Carp card is shown. It is a parody of the MasterCard credit card.
- At the beginning of the episode, when Pearl wakes up, Pearl’s lipstick is stuck to the upper lip of her mouth. After the next two scenes, her lipstick returns to its normal position.
- When Pearl smashes her bedroom floor, the mat doesn’t fall through the floor as it is indestructible. Also, the mat disappears. Furthermore, when Pearl says, “Morning, daddy.”, the wooden pieces are gone.
- When Pearl smashes her bedroom floor, Mr. Krabs says "Neptune's Trousers!" Closed captions on Sky say "Neptune's Treasures!"
- At the beginning of the episode, Pearl mentions that her birthday is the next day, but it seems to be the same day throughout the rest of the episode.
- When Pearl runs out of her school, right directly across from her school is the Krusty Krab.
- In most episodes, right directly across from the Krusty Krab is the Chum Bucket.
- When Pearl runs into the citizens in the Krusty Krab, crying, the tables are plain beige instead of their normal designs.
- After Pearl says, “Now promise me, you won’t be cheap.”, the colour of her eyelid is grey instead of purple.
- When Pearl gives a long list to Mr. Krabs, you can see that the bubble wrap is gone after he rolls up the list.
- When Pearl and her friends are at the mall and she looks at the sea-pony, the first shot shows the dog fish tank right next to it, with a clear separation of the two tanks. A few seconds later (when the sea pony is huffing and puffing after dreaming what it would be like to be a pet to Pearl), the sea pony shares a tank with the dog fish.
- When Pearl and her friends meet Billy Fishkins, when facing in front, her lipstick disappears for a split second.
- When Mr. Krabs says, “...maybe I should have hired that ice sculptor.”, the box that has Pearl’s sculpture made of Krabby Patties on it is made of Krabby Patties instead of wood.
- When Judy and her friends laugh after looking at the banner saying, “It”s a boy.”, the colour of Pearl’s skin is dark grey instead of normal grey.
- When Pearl is angry looking at Mr. Krabs saying, “...and frosting.”, she is holding a fork with cardboard and frosting. However, when Pearl looks at Judy, the fork is gone.
- When Squidward says the last word, “Huh!”, while performing 4-Ply, he throws a tissue on the right side of himself. However, after the next two scenes, the tissue was gone.
- Near the end, when Boys Who Cry sing, the red fish sings the line "You get your very own spotlight tonight" while the blue and green fish do the "oohs," if one were to look closely, they can see them mouthing the line.