"Valentine's Day" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season one. In this episode, SpongeBob and Sandy try to give Patrick a Valentine's day gift.
On Valentine's Day, SpongeBob gives out Valentine's Day hearts to everyone. He even gives one to Plankton, which is delivered with the help of tweezers.
Next, SpongeBob goes to Sandy's treedome, where Sandy gives him an acorn nut with an arrow stuck through it, which he chucks away.
SpongeBob then takes out his bottle of chocolate syrup and blows out a chocolate heart bubble for Sandy's valentine. SpongeBob and Sandy then talk about what they have arranged to give Patrick for his Valentine Present, a hot air balloon made out of chocolate and how for everything to be arranged.
SpongeBob tells Patrick (who has made his Valentine's present for SpongeBob by putting a big rock on the ground and pounds the rock into the shape of a heart, but smashes the rock into a pile of dirt thinking that SpongeBob is in there and then realizing that SpongeBob is behind him (said by SpongeBob) and give him a pile of dirt for his Valentine Present) that he has the best present ever ready for him.
Patrick gets very blithe and impatient for his surprise present and the two go to the Valentine's Day Carnival. Since it is a surprise present, Patrick starts to guess what is even to the point that he thinks it his present is a bunch of paramecium and to even the point that he thinks that his present is on top of Mount Climb-up-and-Fall-off, in which he runs up the mountain and falls off a couple times.
Meanwhile, Sandy, who is in route to the carnival in the chocolate balloon, is attacked by a flock of chocolate-eating scallops, which causes the balloon to veer off course as she fights them off. Due to the delay, Sandy tells SpongeBob to take Patrick to the Ferris wheel to keep up his overexcited mood.
SpongeBob starts to think that Patrick would not get his Valentine and doesn't want to break his heart so he takes him to the Ferris wheel to keep up his morale. When SpongeBob and Patrick reach the top of the Ferris wheel, they wait for the surprise to be revealed.
However, Sandy contacts SpongeBob via his walkie-talkie, informing him of her troubles and since one of the scallops bit the balloon and the balloon is floating downwards that he will have to go with "Plan B." SpongeBob tells Patrick, who is so excited that he is literally shaken the entire Ferris wheel, that his present is a "friendly handshake".
That greatly disappoints him and after shaking SpongeBob hand, he stares at his own hand with a grumpy look on his face. SpongeBob laughs nervously and throughout their playtime in the carnival, SpongeBob laughs at the joys of the carnival whilst Patrick has the same grumpy look on his face.
When Patrick and SpongeBob are sitting down at a table, he has been thinking and thanks SpongeBob for the gift he gave him, but when he sees many other people thank SpongeBob for the gifts he gave them, including complete strangers (one man only asks for the time), he is pushed off the deep end and goes on a rampage.
He begins destroying the carnival and corners everyone there, including SpongeBob, seemingly with the intention of killing them all. Before he gets the chance, however, Sandy arrives, having tamed the scallops, who is now helping to keep her balloon afloat. SpongeBob tells him that his true Valentine Present is behind him, but Patrick thinks that isn't true. Even with the help of the crowd persuading him to turn around, he doesn't turn around until Sandy says his name, in which he turns around seeing his great Valentine Present.
Upon seeing this, Patrick takes a bite of his present in amazement, causing it to pop and covering the carnival in chocolate. Smiling at SpongeBob and completely forgetting his anger, Patrick joyfully says, "Aww, SpongeBob, you didn't have to get me anything!" as the episode ends.
‣ Nostalgic Hawaii
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
- Jan Rap [title card]
‣ Pikanterie - Gerhard Trede [opening]
‣ The Mob - Sam Spence [SpongeBob explaining the plan]
‣ On the Beach - Kapono Beamer [Patrick making a valentine out of a rock]
‣ The Main Event - Gregor F. Narholz [Patrick excited about SpongeBob's gift]
‣ On the Beach - Kapono Beamer [Patrick begs SpongeBob to tell him what the gift is]
‣ The Alpine Waltz - Dick Stephen Walter [Valentine's Day carnival]
‣ Flight in Panic 1 - Gregor F. Narholz [chocolate-eating scallops]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer [Patrick trying to guess what the gift is]
‣ Death Trap - Gregor F. Narholz [scallops attacking the balloon]
‣ Hawaiian Link (a) - Richard Myhill [Ferris wheel]
‣ Vibe Link (b) - Richard Myhill [SpongeBob is nervous]
‣ Death Trap - Gregor F. Narholz [Sandy fighting scallops]
‣ Night Butcher - Richard A. Harvey [Patrick is impatient]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill [friendly handshake]
‣ Pikanterie - Gerhard Trede [carnival montage]
‣ Stack of Leis - Kapono Beamer [later.../"And even though I was expecting more..."/"And not that it matters that we've been friends for so long..."/"So, as I was saying..."]
‣ House of Horror - W. Merrick Farran [Patrick snaps/Patrick gets more crazy]
‣ Lovely Scenery C - Mladen Franko ["I know I deserve this, but do they?"]
‣ Dangerous A - Mladen Franko [Patrick closing in on SpongeBob]
‣ Western Panorama - Len Beadle [Sandy arrives]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer [everyone telling Patrick to turn around]
‣ Hawaiian Holiday - Kapono Beamer [Patrick bites into the balloon]
‣ Moloka'i Nui A - Kapono Beamer [ending]
- As of September 9, 2018, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 8.6/10 based on 437 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 9.0/10 based on 203 votes.
- "Valentine's Day" was ranked #8 during The Ultimate SpongeBob SpongeBash event on July 17–19, 2009.
- This episode is #2 on Tom Kenny's Top 20 on iTunes. His description says:
"The first great Patrick episode! I love how Patrick instantly goes from having his feelings hurt to an Incredible Hulk-like rage. Bill Fagerbakke really came into his own in this one."
- There are 23 hearts on the title card.
- This episode is the first to be produced in the 2000's decade, and also the first one to be produced in 2000.
- This episode and "The Paper" only tend to air in reruns in the United States on or around Valentine's Day, making this and "The Paper" extremely rare and difficult to watch on TV, since they both aired on Valentine's Day and are a Valentine's Day special.
- There is a online game based on this episode called Love Hurts!.
- This is first episode where a micro-organism (excluding Plankton) is shown in the SpongeBob SquarePants series.
- This is the first appearance of Plankton without Mr. Krabs.
- The microscope is actually realistic.
- In the Dutch version of this episode, when the guy asks Patrick for the time, Patrick actually tells him the time (3:15 PM) instead of saying "Patrick needs love, too!"
- Patrick's quote "Heart on stick must die!" has become a famous Internet meme.
- This also applies for Patrick's other quote, "I defy you, heartman!"
- When Patrick goes on his rampage and the voice on the loudspeaker warns the crowd, the sound of an air raid siren can be heard during his rampage after the warning on the loudspeaker. It could be either for comedic effect or to also warn the crowd of Patrick.
- This episode marks the first instance of differing bubble transitions.
- When Patrick throws the last male fish that was about to thank SpongeBob for his gift and Patrick becomes crazy, he bangs his stomach and acts like Kerchak from the Disney movie Tarzan, and the Marvel character The Incredible Hulk in both rage and speech pattern.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick are on the Ferris wheel, SpongeBob's shoes look like heels.
- When one of the scallops pop a hole in the balloon for the first time, air is coming out, but when Patrick pops it again, chocolate sauce explodes out of it.
- While SpongeBob is delivering the valentines, at the beginning of this episode, the sky is pink; for the rest of the episode, the sky is blue. The pink sky may just be sunrise.
- When Sandy opens her helmet to receive the chocolate bubble, no water comes inside her helmet, even though they are in water.
- In the original scenes with the "Valentine's Day Carnival" sign Mount Climb-up-and-Fall-off is not seen, but when Patrick mentions it, it can be seen.
- When Sandy is on the chocolate balloon, her suit seems to be smaller.
- When Sandy fights the chocolate-eating scallops, the balloon's basket seems to be missing, only showing the string attached to it.
- The rides at the carnival change place throughout the episode. For example, the Heart-A-Whirl is to the right of the Ferris wheel at the beginning of the episode, but at the end when everyone is on the pier, the rides are still in the position it was at the beginning of the episode, even tough the pier is on the other side.
- An air raid siren can be heard during Patrick's rampage. But, it stops with the dramatic music, when Patrick give up trying to lift the swing ride. When the dramatic music turns back on, so does the siren. (As if the air raid siren was part of the music.)