|Sheldon J. Plankton|
|Residence:||(He lives in the Chum Bucket)|
|Occupation(s):||Owner and founder of the Chum Bucket|
|Aliases:||Peter Lankton, Clay, Shrimp, Bug, Plankton, Dirty Little Man, Planky, Mr. Brain-a-tron 2000, Professor Plankton|
|Friends:||SpongeBob SquarePants (F.U.N.)|
Mr. Krabs (New Leaf)
Mama Krabs (Enemy In-Law)
Professor Finbarr Calamitous (Nicktoons Unite!)
Vlad Plasmius (Nicktoons Unite!)
Mr. Denzel Crocker (Nicktoons Unite!)
King Neptune & Princess Mindy
|List of characters|
Sheldon J. Plankton Jr., or more common Plankton, is a fictional character in the Nickelodeon animated television series SpongeBob SquarePants. He is voiced by Mr. Lawrence and first appeared in the episode "Plankton!" on July 31, 1999. Plankton was created and designed by Stephen Hillenburg. The character is also in video games and other merchandise based on the series. Mostly, he has been featured on countless toys, games, plushies, and other popular toys and games.Sheldon J. Plankton (Mostly known as just Plankton.) is a fictional character and one-eyed typical cartoon villain in the animated series SpongeBob SquarePants. He is a technologically savvy, deep-voiced zooplankter with one central eye—a real-life characteristic of some copepods. Plankton is the smallest of the main characters in the series, able to fit in SpongeBob SquarePants' hand, as well as under Mr. Krabs' foot, as he is only slightly larger than a jelly bean (In fact, he was once mistaken for one in the episode F.U.N.). His size has actually differed from the earlier episodes to the later ones. In the latter he was depicted as bigger. Plankton is voiced by "Mr." Doug Lawrence.
In The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie, Plankton learns there are 26 letters in the alphabet and executes "Evil Plan 26"(Z), where he steals the crown of King Neptune, delivers it to Shell City (a gift shop located on the surface), and frames the theft on Mr. Krabs, whom Neptune freezes. While Krabs is frozen, Plankton successfully steals the Krabby Patty formula and begins producing Krabby Patties, giving free bucket helmets away with each one. The helmets are, in fact, mind-control devices which Plankton uses to make the citizens bend to his will and change Bikini Bottom to suit his image, renaming the city "Planktopolis." Unfortunately for Plankton, SpongeBob and Patrick manage to retrieve the crown and bring it back to Neptune, and frees everyone under Plankton's control by using the power of rock and roll. Plankton is stomped on and soon arrested, taken away by the authorities, but vows to return and destroy everyone.
Plankton is, as his name suggests, a zooplankton and the arch-nemesis (but former friend) of Mr. Krabs. He operates the Chum Bucket, located directly across the street from Krabs's restaurant, the Krusty Krab. The restaurant primarily sells chum, considered mostly inedible by the residents of Bikini Bottom, and as a result his restaurant is a total commercial failure. Despite its proximity to the Krusty Krab, the Chum Bucket itself is rarely seen in the cartoon, except for those episodes in which Plankton also appears.
His primary goal in the series is put Krabs out of business (thus gaining a monopoly on the restaurant business) by stealing the "Krabby Patty secret formula," a secret recipe used to make the Krusty Krab's flagship sandwich, in order to get customers. He has been trying to steal the formula for over twenty-five years, and shows no signs of giving up. Plankton frequently plays on the naive trusting nature of SpongeBob to try and get the recipe, along with engaging in various forms of trickery or theft to get either a Krabby Patty or the recipe; these schemes have ranged from posing as a psychiatrist for SpongeBob to switching lives with Mr. Krabs in order to get a taste of success. He often disguises himself in his plans; these disguises include a giant sea cucumber, a roach, a self-controlled robot version of Mr. Krabs, and even a dollar bill. Most of the time it is his own evil desire to steal the secret Krabby Patty formula that causes his plans to fail, such as in the episode "Plankton!", in which his lust over a Krabby Patty got him trapped in his own ingredient analyzing machine. In addition to stealing the formula, Plankton enjoys pursuing various forms of villainy, such as mind control and trying to destroy Bikini Bottom with an army of robots.
A running gag throughout the series is the fact that Plankton is much smaller than the other main characters; he is easily stepped on and/or sent flying back to the Chum Bucket with a mere flick of the finger. This size varies throughout episodes; sometimes Plankton is microscopic, and other times he is at about knee height. His small size has led to him developing a Napoleon complex, which is occasionally manifested as a desire for global domination (the most prominent illustration of this is in The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie). At one point, he was even described as being made up of "one percent evil, ninety-nine percent hot gas." However, despite his self-centered attitude, Plankton is often depressed because of his plans' continual failures (in "F.U.N.", Squidward even tells him he is the most hated creature in Bikini Bottom). He is also depressed because his small stature tends to make him ignored or squished (revealed in "Plankton's Army"). Plankton's main catchphrase is "I went to college!" which he usually says after one of his schemes to steal the Krabby Patty secret formula has been thwarted, though it has been used in other context. His other catchphrases include "I WIN! I WIN!", "You're all mine you sweet Krabby Patty!", "I wish to rule you!", "Hehhehehaaa!!", "Ouch," "Well, this stinks," and others.
Plankton is married to a supercomputer named Karen. She is his W.I.F.E. (both as an acronym for "Wired Integrated Female Electroencephalograph" and in the sense of a female spouse). She appears to have her own sentient mind and enjoys putting him down, though it's shown that they love each other. She sometimes gets fed up with his antics and forbids him from returning home. She tends to give Plankton most of his ideas to steal the Krabby Patty, but he usually takes them as his own ideas. Plankton's first name, Sheldon, amuses his computer wife to no end.
In the episode Band Geeks, Plankton, without much conflict, placidly participates in the band. At the performance he plays a keyboard. During the first rehearsal, however, he is shown with a triangle, and, later a harmonica. When Squidward asks if anyone has experience playing instruments, Plankton responds with "Do instruments of torture count?"
Plankton has his own theme music, and on numerous occasions, he has been seen listening to different versions of said music. In his debut episode, his theme song is a dramatic classical piece (with the alphabet song on the flip-side). In the "Employee of the Month" CD-ROM, where he is seen on a bus listening to a metal rock version of the alphabet song, realizes it, and flips his vinyl record over to listen to some classical music.
Plankton has a large extended family, whom he enlists help from in "Plankton's Army" while attempting to retrieve the Krabby Patty secret formula. Relatives include (but are not limited to): Clem, Zeke, Rufus, Jeke, Billy Bob, Billy Jim, Billy Billy Bo Billy Banana Fanna Fo Filly, Doug, Enis, Rainchild, and Fletcher McGee. His relatives, quite strangely enough already, seem to be a big bunch of friendly, gullible, multicolored, root-beer crazed, uneducated hillbilly plankton, whom Plankton himself barely even recognizes.
|Lord Planktonimor||Karen the Crystal Ball|
|Plankton's father||Other Planktons|
|Sheldon J. Plankton||Karen the Computer||Clem||Rest of Plankton Family|
- Mr. Krabs
Mr. Krabs and Plankton were once college room-mates, but they slowly developed a rivalry. This was revealed in the comics to have been caused by, being stepped on by Mr. Krabs (which did not annoy him at all), being closed inside Mr. Krabs' book (which aggravated him a little) and Mr Krabs going out with his date and Plankton's date (which started their rivalry). This was revealed in the comics to have been caused by Krabs squished Plankton constantly but accidentally (according to a two-page comic strip titled Plankton: The College Years printed in "Nickelodeon Magazine Presents the SpongeBob SquarePants Movie"). It is estimated that Plankton thought that his future enemy was trying to kill him and due to Krabs' greediness and advantages over Plankton (particularly when he discovered the Krabby Patty secret formula and decided to sell it), Plankton's jealousy of Krabs only grew stronger and when the Krusty Krab first came into being, the Chum Bucket was somehow built and opened by Plankton, so that he could start stealing the secret formula which Krabs refused to give away and soon start an ever-lasting rivalry between the two restaurants. This may be the reason why he hates his arch-rival so much and why he constantly reminds him that "he went to college".
In Dunces and Dragons it is implied that the Plankton-Krabs feud began centuries ago when Plankton's evil overlord ancestor was vanquished by a Krabby Patty. Since there is not any feud between Krabs and Plankton in their early childhood, it is possible that these families settled their differences-until the college years of Krabs and Plankton.
Shortly after Plankton left Krabs to make his own patty, he met Karen, a security computer. They fell in love and Plankton proposed to her on their third date.
- Betsy Krabs
In the episode Enemy in Law, Plankton, insisting Karen is just a computer and not an actual wife, he turned off Karen temporarily to date Mr. Krabs' mother. When this relationship failed, he turned Karen on again.
- In ESB: Battle for Bikini Bottom, Plankton appears as the main antagonist of the game. In the game, he makes an attempt to take over Bikini Bottom and taking the Krabby Patty formula by creating a robot machine called the Duplicatotron 3000. After he creates the robots, the robots do not obey him, because he forgot to set the switch from Do not Obey to Obey. Plankton decided to convince SpongeBob (with the help of Patrick and Sandy) to do all the work of destroying the robots, because SpongeBob thought the situation was his fault.
- In ESB: Lights, Camera, Pants!, Plankton appears as a playable character. In the game, he uses a robotic suit to act in the auditions (the parts that are played). Also, the "Captive" role, as well as the auditions for it, takes place in the Chum Bucket.
- In Nicktoons Unite!, Plankton was recruited by Professor Finbarr Calamitous to his team. He uses a crab mech to fight the heroes.
- In ESB: Creature from the Krusty Krab, Plankton was chased by an evil giant Krabby Patty but then enlarges himself to giant-size and goes on a destructive rage and then it's up to SpongeBob and Patrick to stop him.
- In ESB: SuperSponge Plankton has a brief cameo, in which he yells at Spongebob for stealing his time machine. "Blast you SpongeBrat! You have found my secret time machine! Well whatever you do, make sure you fill it up before you bring it back!
- In Nicktoons Racing Plankton appears as a Mystery Rider.
- Hypno-Pod: Hypnotizes jellyfish to be slaves as seen in the online game, Plankton's Pernicios Plot. 
- Time Machine: Seen in SuperSponge
- High-Powered Mechanical Bio Arm: Opens anything - revealed but malfunctioned in the episode, "Best Frenemies."
- Enlargetron: Makes things bigger, seen in Creature from the Krusty Krab.
- Robo-Krabs: Robot version of Mr. Krabs, Seen in Imitation Krabs, Operation Krabby Patty, New Leaf, and Spy Buddies.
The following is a list of plans Plankton set up in order to steal the Krabby Patty secret formula, or an attempt to dominate the world.
- Regrading Krabby Patty Formula
- Plan A: Request that Krabs relinquish Secret Krabby Patty Recipe.
- Plan B: Construct cockroach costume. Don masterful disguise and enter Krusty Krab undetected. Stealthily remove Secret Recipe. If required, use super science and pour droplet of chemical into test tube. Drink droplet. Instantly appear as cockroach surrounded by pink cloud. Stealthily remove Secret Recipe.
- Plan C: Attempt civil disobedience. Picket Krusty Krab and demand entry.
- Plan D: Stealthily remove Secret Recipe from Krusty Krab grill. Stealthily remove self from Krusty Krab. Quickly.
- Plan E: Give dim-witted fry cook shiny golden spatula. Convince dim-witted that tomorrow is my birthday. Convince dim-witted fry cook that we are friends, and friends give friends presents on their birthdays. Convince dim-witted fry cook to give me the Secret Recipe.
- Plan F: Enter slumbering fry cook's brain and engage Total Control Device. Instruct SpongeBob to deliver Krabby Patty to the Chum Bucket for examination.
- Plan G: Attend Krabs's talent show at the Krusty Krab. Use "magic" to make a Krabby Patty "disappear." Remove Krabby Patty and bring it to the Chum Bucket for examination.
- Plan H: Construct portable backpack device with robotic hands and propeller. Enter Krusty Krab. Remove Secret Recipe with robotic hands and enact airborne escape. Disguise Krabby Patty for undetected removal and examination if needed.
- Plan I: Pretend to be NICE and befriend misguided fry cook, who has the ridiculous notion that loneliness is the root of my evil. Ha! Sniff... Replace Krabby Patty with meticulously designed replica. Steal Krabby Patty for examination.
- Plan J: Construct mobile robot. Enter robot. Enter Krusty Krab. Convince gullible fry cook he has won $1 million—if he reveals Secret Recipe.
- Plan K: Construct robotic Krabs costume. Enter Krusty Krab and convince unsuspecting fry cook I'm his crustaceous boss, Krabs. Demand recitation of Secret Recipe. If required, trick gullible fry cook into handing over Secret Recipe by memorizing inflated Krusty Krab price list and insipid Secret Handshake.
- Plan L: Win unwitting fry cook in poker game from rival Krabs. Will require cheating. Fake NICENESS so fry cook will return kindness with Krabby Patties.
- Plan M: Plankton planted himself in a ketchup bottle, hoping someone will squeeze him onto a patty. Old Man Jenkins squeezes it into the air and shoots him into a wall and he fails.
- Plan N: Construct mechanical limbs for Krabby Patty. Mount Krabby Patty. Ride 'em, Krabby Patty.
- Plan O: Attend absorbent fry cook's party. Play putrid party game. Convince Krabs that the game card he receives says, "Discuss the Krabby Patty Secret Recipe."
- Plan P: Create an army of robots to steal the Secret Recipe and take over Bikini Bottom.
- Plan Q: Engage Secret Recipe Removal Lever.
- Plan R: Distract clueless fry cook with colorful bath toy. Stealthily remove Secret Recipe.
- Plan S: Construct robotic Krusty Krab customer. Enter robot. Enter Krusty Krab. Fake out Krabs by ordering something OTHER than a Krabby Patty. Pay for food with dollar bill. Leap from secret compartment in dollar bill and stealthily remove Secret Recipe.
- Plan T: Recruit Secret Recipe swipers from the sea bottom's seediest dives.
- Plan U: Assemble extended Plankton family and surround Krusty Krab. Seize Secret Recipe.
- Plan V: Have the Chum Bucket stay open for 23 hours, thereby getting Krabs to stay open for 24 hours. When SpongeBob cracks for exhaustion, get him to reveal the Krabby Patty Recipe.
- Plan W: Countersue Krabs for not having a wet floor sign. Get him to hand over the Krabby Patty Secret Formula.
- Plan X: Propose a marriage to Krabs's mother in order to get the Secret Formula.
- Plan Y: Pretend to reform and take up the knick-knack business. Befriend Krabs and coax him into giving me the formula.
- Plan Z: Steal King Neptune's crown. Send crown to Shell City. Frame Krabs. Mr. Krabs recieves wrath of King Neptune. Finally get my hands on the Krabby Patty secret formula! Make Krabby Patties and sell them at the Chum Bucket! Sell free Chum Bucket bucket (mind control) helmets. Activate mind control. Become Supreme Leader of Bikini Bottom! Plan Z can't possibly fail!
- Other Plans
- Nicktoons Racing - Takes up the title of the mystery rider who has a black car (faster and more control overall than the other nicktoons) and participates in the race where the prize is a lifetime supply of Krabby patties. When the game is beaten with good results, he is revealed to be the mystery rider, and says his tagline: "Well, this stinks!".
- In "Walking Small", after the beachers refuse to leave Goo Lagoon to construct the Mega Bucket, Plankton teaches SpongeBob how to be aggressive. He planned on having fun with him. In the end, it is revealed that Plankton is only using him to get SpongeBob make the beachers leave so he can make the mega bucket.
- Engage the Switch-Lives-Just-To-Know-What-It's-Like-O-Mogrifier and trade places with Krabs.
- In "Snowball Effect", Plankton plans to harness the energy of the snow, and take over the world, but there was too much snow and it covered him.
- In "Enemy In-Law", Plankton builds a giant robot to kidnap Bikini Bottomites and bring them to the Chum Bucket to eat food.
- In "Wishing You Well", Plankton uses the wishing well to wish to be big enough to crush his enemies. This is the only plan that Plankton succeeded in.
- The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie Game - Same plan as the movie.
- Creature from the Krusty Krab - He turns a krabby patty crumb into a huge Krabby Patty that comes alive and tries to eat him. He then makes himself huge to get revenge on the Patty and in the process also destroys the Krusty Krab.
Reception and merchandising
Plankton is a near-perfect asset to the show, and has his own following among the fans.
Plankton has been featured in various merchandises such as plush toys. In 2006, Ty Inc.'s Beanie Babies introduced a plush toy based on the character as part of the SpongeBob SquarePants series.
- ^ Plankton: The College Years
- ^ Template:Cite episode
- ^ Template:Cite episode
- ^ Template:Cite episode
- ^ Template:Cite episode
- ^ Ty Spongebob Squarepants Beanie Baby Sheldon J. Plankton. Amazon.com. Retrieved on 2 May 2013.
- ^ Sheldon J. Plankton. Ty Inc.. Retrieved on 2 May 2013.
- ^ TY Beanie Baby - SHELDON J PLANKTON (SpongeBob Squarepants) (9 inch). BB Toy Store. Retrieved on 2 May 2013.