"Two Thumbs Down" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season nine. In this episode, SpongeBob loses the use of his thumbs.
At SpongeBob's house, SpongeBob and Patrick play thumb war and SpongeBob wins. He gives Patrick a thumbs up, making him feel good. He then goes to work at the Krusty Krab and gives some customers thumbs up. He gives Mr. Krabs a thumbs up and Squidward two thumbs up. He later talks to Sandy on the street and gives her the thumbs up as well. Sandy asks SpongeBob if he feels like he's using the thumbs up too much, but he says "no" and goes to cross the street, giving everyone a thumbs up.
He does another one and then breaks both his thumbs. He goes to the hospital
and Dr. Manfish tells him he can't say for certain if he'll be able to use his thumbs again. He goes to the Krusty Krab where he can't cook Krabby Patties
anymore due to his injury. SpongeBob is upset and mopes around his house. Sandy finds him and tells him he needs to find a purpose in life again.
SpongeBob then mends his thumbs through training and goes to the Krusty Krab where Patrick has taken his job. They then have another thumb war to determine who gets the job. SpongeBob wins and gets his job back, happily.
Vincent Waller confirmed the episode on Twitter on October 11, 2015.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Sailor's Sting 4 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Title card]
‣ Sword Fight - Sam Fonteyn [Opening.]
‣ ? ["Thanks, SpongeBob, that means a lot."]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr ["Giving someone a thumbs up feels great!"]
‣ Sailor's Sting 2 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Boy, these Krabby Patties are delicious."]
‣ Fantasy Princess [#52] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["That thumbs up really touched my heart."]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (z) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob walks away.]
‣ Sailor's Sting 8 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs asks if SpongeBob counted the cups.]
‣ ? ["Yes, sir!"]
‣ Sailor's Sting 9 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Do you have one of your precious thumbs up for me?"]
‣ ? [Two thumbs up.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob goes back to the kitchen.]
‣ Unknown Track 2 - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob gives Sandy two thumbs up.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (q) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob leaves Sandy.]
‣ Jungle Baby - Hans Ehrlinger [SpongeBob giving everyone thumbs up.]
‣ Sword Fight - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [SpongeBob's thumbs break.]
‣ Unknown Track 19 - SpongeBob in the hospital.
‣ Sailor's Sting 4 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob trying to take the spatula.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (h) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I'm sorry, son."]
‣ Cartoon Sting 9 - Barry Anthony [Patrick enters the kitchen.]
‣ Sailor's Sting 14 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Patrick, I'm glad it's you."]
• Thumbs Song - Kaz Prapuolenis, Eban Schletter [Original composition.]
‣ Crazy Mind - Harry Lubin [Sandy visits SpongeBob.]
‣ Fates [#61] - Gregor Narholz ["Don't give up, SpongeBob!"]
‣ Giant Steps - Ramon Codas ["Enough sitting around feeling sorry for myself."]
‣ Sailor's Sting 22 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Patrick cooking patties.]
‣ Unknown Track 59 - "The job's taken."
‣ Sword Fight - Sam Fonteyn ["Thumb war."]
‣ Sword Fight Alt. End - Sam Fonteyn [SpongeBob wins the thumb war.]
‣ SpongeBob History Song - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Ending.]
- As of September 28, 2017, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 7.6/10 based on 102 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 5.4/10 based on 24 votes.
- The title card is similar to the one for "Mrs. Puff, You're Fired," except the background is green.
- This is the fourth episode in which SpongeBob gets a finger injury, the first being "No Weenies Allowed," the second being "Party Pooper Pants," and the third being "The Splinter."
- This is the fifth episode where Patrick works at the Krusty Krab and the second time he is fry cook. His first time working at the Krusty Krab in general is in "Big Pink Loser," his second overall and first time as a fry cook is in "Bummer Vacation," his third time is in "No Hat for Pat," and his fourth time is in "Restraining SpongeBob."
- This is the fourth episode where Sandy has been referred to by her full name, "Sandra." The first is "Patrick SmartPants," the second is "Atlantis SquarePantis," and the third is "Kenny the Cat."
- This episode premiered on the same day as the 2016 Kids' Choice Awards.
- This is the sixth time that an episode premiered on Kids' Choice Night. The first was "Help Wanted"/"Reef Blower"/"Tea at the Treedome" in 1999, the second was "Krusty Towers"/"Mrs. Puff, You're Fired" in 2006, the third was "Sentimental Sponge" in 2011, the fourth was "Are You Happy Now?"/"Planet of the Jellyfish" in 2012, and the fifth was "Kenny the Cat" in 2014.
- The live-action scenes played when SpongeBob's thumbs are breaking are supposed to represent how his thumbs are feeling at that moment in time. Here is a list of the live-action scenes that are used.
- Two steam locomotives colliding
- The 1940 Tacoma Narrows Bridge collapse (also seen in "To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants")
- A tree falling down on the ground
- A crow's call (supposedly is an omen for death)
- A baby crying
- Thumbhawk two mentions the episode’s title when he says, “We got two thumbs down. Repeat. Two thumbs down!”
- This episode premiered 14 years after Nautical Nonsense and Sponge Buddies were released, three years after The Complete Eighth Season was released, and two years after SpongeBob Comics #30 was released.
- This episode premiered in Canada on July 1, 2016, which is ironically Canada Day.
- This episode premiered in Germany on March 20, 2017.
- At the beginning of the episode, SpongeBob and Patrick are playing thumb war, which could be a reference to the show Thumb Wrestling Federation.
- The scene where the plum puller pulls a plum of a pie may be a reference to "Little Jack Horner."
- The video game controller SpongeBob uses borrows elements from the SNES controller (multicoloured buttons) and the PlayStation controller (overall shape and layout of the analog sticks and D-Pad).
- The game SpongeBob plays in the same scene also bears a resemblance to Geometry Dash.
- The mom and the baby on the bench appear during the "Thumbs Song," but they disappear when they zoom out and show the thumb convention.
- There's a scene where SpongeBob is shown walking outside of Bikini Bottom. Then the next scene shows him immediately walking to his pineapple house, which is located in Bikini Bottom.
- The red parachutes on the thumbs that showed when SpongeBob fell down with his broken thumbs are already burned in the next scene
SpongeBob SquarePants "Two Thumbs Down" Official Promo 0.5
SpongeBob SquarePants "Two Thumbs Down" Official Promo 1
SpongeBob SquarePants "Two Thumbs Down" Official Promo 2
SpongeBob SquarePants "Two Thumbs Down" Official Promo 3
SpongeBob SquarePants "Two Thumbs Down" YTV promo
SpongeBob SquarePants ‘Two Thumbs Down’ Official Extended Trailer Nick
SpongeBob SquarePants Official "Thumbs Song" Nick
SpongeBob SquarePants "Two Thumbs Down - Techno Remix” Sneak Peek Nick
SpongeBob SquarePants - Thumbs Up - Nickelodeon UK