"Trident Trouble" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season ten. In this episode, SpongeBob accidentally picks up King Neptune's magic trident.
Before the episode starts, the Greek chorus introduces themselves, telling the audience that they narrate the episode.
When the episode starts, the Greek chorus introduces King Neptune and his Trident, the Mother Kraken, and then SpongeBob. While SpongeBob is reading his favorite Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy comic book, he bumps into King Neptune while he is on his golden smartphone, and they both accidentally switch their hand-held objects. SpongeBob has Neptune's trident and Neptune has SpongeBob's spatula.
SpongeBob continues walking to the Krusty Krab late for work reading his comic book until it is eaten. Mr. Krabs and Squidward are worried and in frustration, because the customers want Krabby Patties. SpongeBob arrives in the kitchen and wishes the tomatoes and lettuce were chopped, not knowing that his trident can grant wishes.
He is surprised and does nit remember his spatula looking different and being able to grant wishes. Later, the trident produces dancing Krabby Patties that all customers are satisfied with that they can eat. SpongeBob produces more but instead, the Krabby Patties turn evil and bigger and attack the customers, therefore resulting in everybody to leave the Krusty Krab.
SpongeBob then thinks he can solve any problem. When a baby fish is sucking a pacifier, the parents drop it and the baby starts crying. SpongeBob soon hears the baby cry and thinks that it would put the pacifier back into the baby's mouth, it instead turns bigger and eats the baby from the trident's power without SpongeBob noticing.
Later, SpongeBob sees a fish who is upset because his grass wouldn't grow, but SpongeBob uses his trident and points at the grass and makes his grass grow. SpongeBob continues to walk. The grass eventually turns bigger and they start talking and attempt to mow the fish. SpongeBob then finds Patrick and introduces Patrick to his new powers while Patrick is holding an ice cream cone. The light of the Trident was so bright that it makes Patrick's ice cream melt as Patrick is upset but still continues to eat it. SpongeBob then tries to solve the problem by getting an ice cream truck filled with ice cream but it later disappears. After that, SpongeBob gives Patrick unlimited ice cream using his trident, but instead, it turns into a big flood of ice cream that floods the whole Bikini Bottom.
King Neptune, meanwhile doesn't realize he has SpongeBob's spatula. He tries to battle a monster's angry mother using SpongeBob's spatula thinking it is his trident, but nothing happens as he reads the spatula, reading "Property of SpongeBob." He is then beaten up and launched far away in the distance by the monster's mother for ruining her dress with the grease.
In Bikini Bottom, SpongeBob tries his best to stop the flood but can't and bemoans that he has ruined everything for the town.
Patrick tries to comfort his friend by saying that isn't the case but when he sees all the things SpongeBob has done to everyone and the bad aftermath, he is forced to agree with him. Neptune
then shows up giving SpongeBob back his spatula as SpongeBob finally learns the item he was carrying was really a trident.
After having to get his trident to submit, Neptune scolds it for the trouble it has caused before being happy to have it back and the trident becomes delighted. With the trident, Neptune repairs all the damage caused by SpongeBob as the town and citizens return to normal.
SpongeBob promises to repay Neptune as the latter says there is actually one way, he has SpongeBob join him as they create a giant Krabby Patty monster to go after the monsters that beat Neptune up earlier.
The episode name was confirmed in a tweet by Vincent Waller on November 12, 2016.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Maiden's Dance (a) - Robert Foster [Title card]
‣ Apolonia - Sammy Burdson [Opening credits]
‣ The Storyteller (a) - Francis Shaw [The opening]
‣ Roman Legions - John Cacavas ["Behold Neptune, god of the sea, with his mighty trident!"]
‣ The Storyteller (b) - Francis Shaw ["Behold the kraken!"]
‣ To Death or Glory - Laurie Johnson [Kraken appears.]
‣ Salute to Caesar 1 - Gregor F. Narholz ["Behold Neptune triumphant! What an awesome dude!"]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer ["Behold this idiot and beware, for trident trouble comes!"]
‣ Norman Buchan's Harp - Gordon McCulloch [Customers chanting for food.]
‣ Sailor's Sting 24 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob in the kitchen.]
‣ ? ["Oh, the toppings haven't been prepped!"]
‣ Space Horizons - Wolf Helling [Vegetables chopping themselves.]
‣ Sailor's Sting 31 - "37 Krabby Patties! Fast!"
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Huh, has my spatula always had three heads?"]
‣ The Storyteller (b) - Francis Shaw ["No! And it is not a spatula."]
‣ Dramatic Impact 5 - Ivor Slaney ["Get them patties out here fast, SpongeBob!"]
‣ Magic Castle - Paul Hart, David Arnold [Patties serving themselves to the customers.]
‣ Caesar's Entry - Gregor F. Narholz ["I will use this magic spatula to help everyone!"]
‣ Magic Castle - Paul Hart, David Arnold [SpongeBob runs off.]
‣ Hello Blues - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Baby cries after his pacifier falls.]
‣ Six Powerful Cues (d) - Wilfred Burns [Pacifier grows and puts baby in its mouth.]
‣ Hello Blues - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob sees a gardener that wants grass to grow.]
‣ Six Powerful Cues (a) - Wilfred Burns [Grass comes to life and chases the gardener.]
‣ Caesar's Entry - Gregor F. Narholz ["There is no problem I cannot solve, for I am SpongeBob, emperor of the sea!"]
‣ The Storyteller (b) - Francis Shaw ["Whoa, slow your roll! Only Neptune, true ruler of the sea, can control the trident."]
‣ Evil Mind 3 - Dick De Benedictis [Trident laughs evilly.]
‣ Sulla Riviera - Bruno Bertoli [Neptune talking to Queen Ampithrite.]
‣ Hide and Seek - Arthur Wilkinson ["There he is, mom! That's the man who hit me!"]
‣ Entry of the Heroes (a) - Gregor F. Narholz ["Let us battle!"]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks - Jeremy Wakefield ["This is dry clean only, you monster!"]
‣ Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Mother kraken punches Neptune.]
‣ The Storyteller (b) - Francis Shaw ["Hey, SpongeBob. You look so sparkly today."]
‣ Caesar's Entry - Gregor F. Narholz [Sun shines on SpongeBob, melting Patrick's ice cream.]
‣ Fates [#62] - Gregor F. Narholz [Patrick cries.]
‣ The Storyteller (a) - Francis Shaw ["Fear not, bestest of friends. You shall have all the ice cream you could ever eat!"]
‣ Unknown Track 10 - Nicolas Carr [Ice cream truck crashes against the ground.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (l) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Ahhh! Best day ever!"]
‣ Unknown Track 10 - Nicolas Carr [Ice cream truck fixed up.]
‣ Maiden's Dance (a) - Robert Foster ["You really don't! How do you not get that by now?"]
‣ Clownfish Capers - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Ice cream geyser.]
‣ Rescue - Cecil Milner [Ice cream flooding Bikini Bottom/Ice cream geyser reappears.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (h) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Patrick, I've ruined everything."]
‣ Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob and Patrick see all the disaster.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (s) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Okay, SpongeBob, you ruined everything."]
‣ Maiden's Dance (a) - Robert Foster ["We told you so."]
‣ Hawaiian Flower - Jon Jelmer [Neptune appears to give SpongeBob his spatula and take back his trident.]
‣ The Storyteller (a) - Francis Shaw ["Too long away from its true master, the trident has run wild."]
‣ Sword Fight - Sam Fonteyn [Trident blasting at Neptune.]
‣ Sword Fight Alt. End - Sam Fonteyn [Trident returns to Neptune.]
‣ Sulla Riviera - Bruno Bertoli ["You have been one naughty trident."]
‣ Tower of Evil - Magnum Opus [Ice cream geyser disappears.]
‣ You're Nice - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Everything goes back to normal.]
‣ Kriti Sirtaki (a) - Jorgos Xerinis [Neptune gives SpongeBob his spatula back.]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Well, there is one way."]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Transition to next scene]
‣ Slide Whistle Song - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [The ending]
- As of July 27, 2017, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 9.0/10 based on 44 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 7.2/10 based on 3 votes.
- This episode currently holds the record for longest title card in time.
- Mermaid Man, Barnacle Boy, and Man Ray make a cameo appearance on the comic SpongeBob is reading.
- This is Bubble Bass' tenth appearance in the series.
- Queen Amphitrite from "The Clash of Triton" reappears in this episode, but she is missing her crown.
- When Patrick exclaims "Best day ever!" after the power of King Neptune's trident brings him an ice cream truck, this may be a reference to the episode of the same name.
- This is the first episode to have a separate title card and opening credits music. Usually, episodes have their title card music playing during the title card and the opening credits.
- This is the first episode to have characters talking in a title card.
- This episode marks King Neptune's first appearance since "The Clash of Triton."
- This is the second episode where the title card is voiced over, the first being "SB-129."
- This is the fourth episode to feature a smartphone. The first is "Goodbye, Krabby Patty?," the second is "Whirly Brains," and the third is "Snooze You Lose."
- This episode takes place after "Neptune's Spatula" because King Neptune knows SpongeBob.
- This episode premiered on Gene Shalit's 91st birthday and seven years after "One Coarse Meal" premiered.
- This episode premiered in Canada on the tenth anniversary of Charles Nelson Reilly's death and seven years after Comic Crazy: Take 2 was released and "Gullible Pants" and "Overbooked" premiered in Poland.
- This episode marks the first usage of the APM track "Hawaiian Flower" since "A Day Without Tears."
- This is the third King Neptune-themed episode of the series. The first two are "Neptune's Spatula" and "The Clash of Triton" respectively.
- Squidward is seen wearing his Krusty Krab employee hat even though Tom ate it when it fell off from Squidward by being yanked from the customers.
- Mr. Krabs is seen wearing his shirt and pants despite them being pulled off after being dragged by the hungry customers.
- When Mr. Krabs chases the fish through the ice cream geyser, Harold "Bill" Reginald presents even though he was just seen running from the geyser when it was heading into Bikini Bottom.
- When SpongeBob says "Whoa!," his two front teeth are missing.