- Patrick Star
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Gary the Snail (mentioned)
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Squidward Tentacles
- Krustomer (mentioned)
After four days in Jellyfish Fields, SpongeBob and Patrick are still silently waiting for the jellyfish to move. Finally, they swim away, and the chase is on! The plan is for SpongeBob to take one side, and Patrick then takes the other. But, as both approach the jellyfish, they end up colliding, letting the jellyfish escape.They continue chasing the jellyfish. They don't watch where they are going and accidentally fall off a cliff, falling way down to a county-like village and land on a port-a-potty. Many of the trench billies gang up on SpongeBob and Patrick and capture them with a rope. They take them to Ma Angler, who says that they are "awful purdy." Ma Angler orders them to an initiation. SpongeBob and Patrick question them and Ma Angler sentences them to a series of challenges, being: a banjo contest, "hootin' and hollerin'" contest, and a wrestling match. SpongeBob and Patrick win the first two competitions but decline to the wrestling match, claiming that "they don't like to wrestle." Ma Angler is surprised and asks them what they like to do for fun. SpongeBob claims that they like to jellyfish. They show the trench billies how to jellyfish and collide, once again. Ma Angler enjoys this. The trench billies laugh at them and call them dumb. Ma Angler certifies them as official honorary trench billies and gives them novelty teeth. SpongeBob gives a short speech and attempts to leave, however, they are stopped by a group of trench billies. One of the trench billies says that they have to take care of Ma Angler for the rest of their lives. SpongeBob and Patrick try to convince them to let them leave but the trench billies won't let them.
Meanwhile, at the Krusty Krab, Mr. Krabs and Squidward lightly chat, SpongeBob and Patrick burst through the door and the trench billies follow them. The trench billies destroy the Krusty Krab out of anger. Mr. Krabs nervously asks them for their orders, they all order something to eat. Mr. Krabs says that Ma Angler, who is eating a lot of Krabby Patties, will make Customer of the Week. One of the trench billies sees Mr. Krabs making "goo-goo eyes at the Ma Angler" and as the episode ends, Mr. Krabs is forced to get "hitched" (married) to Ma Angler.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Hillbilly Party - Nicolas Carr [title card]
‣ Excited Tension 2 - Phil Green [opening at Jellyfish Fields]
‣ Sponge Monger - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob, Patrick chasing the jellyfish]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Your what?"]
‣ Unknown Track 1 - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Patrick, there it goes!"]
‣ Rescue - Cecil Milner [SpongeBob and Patrick fall down a trench]
‣ Horror Crash - Harry Lubin [they land in an outhouse]
‣ ? [trenchbillies introduced]
‣ Closing the Door - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob and Patrick tied up]
‣ Unknown Track 60 - "Well, tell me again."/"When not so much as a warning shout, these here varmints dun dropped..."
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Um..."]
‣ The Great White (h) - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob and Patrick gulp]
‣ Unknown Track 61 - "Go get your fiddle."
‣ Hillbilly Dual - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [fiddle song]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr [trenchbilly takes off suspenders]
‣ Hillbilly Dual - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [song continues]
‣ Steel Licks (e) - Jeremy Wakefield ["It looks like he was the real... star."]
‣ Skipping to School - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [singing competition]
‣ Hillbilly Party - Nicolas Carr [Wrestling match]
‣ ? [SpongeBob nervous]
‣ Sponge Monger - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["What the...?"]
‣ ? [everyone laughs]
‣ Unknown Track 62 - "Go get 'em, tiger."
‣ Dramatic Bridge 1 - Phil Green [trenchbillies won't let SpongeBob and Patrick leave]
‣ Cloak and Dagger [#69] - Phil Green ["Taking care of Ma?"]
‣ Unknown Track 60 - "You know, carry her purse..."
‣ Steel Licks (d) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Well, that all sounds like fun..."]
‣ Terror Hunt - Phil Green ["You folks ain't going nowhere."]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob and Patrick gone]
‣ Sailor's Sting 10 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [at the Krusty Krab]
‣ Drama Link (g) - Hubert Clifford ["Mr. Krabs!"]
‣ Hillbilly Party - Nicolas Carr [Trenchbillies destroying Krusty Krab]
‣ Sailor's Sting 15 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs nervous]
‣ Sailor's Sting 4 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Trenchbillies eating Krabby Patties]
‣ Hillbilly Party - Nicolas Carr [Ending]
- As of August 19, 2016, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 6.8/10 based on 76 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a 7.3/10 based on 78 votes.
- This was set to premiere on January 28, 2011, but it was released a day later.
- This originally was supposed to be paired up with "The Main Drain," but the episode became paired up with "Sponge-Cano!" instead.
- Running Gags: Cletus poking people with the pitchfork: and someone saying "It's now or never."
- The scene where SpongeBob and Patrick are in a "musical challenge" is a parody of the famous banjo scene from Deliverance.
- The instrument that Patrick plays in the challenge is actually the sound of a jaw harp.
- The trench billies in this episode do not have pupils due to that fact that they strike a resemblance to the angler fish which lives deep into the ocean and doesn't see along with no pupils hence the trench billies having no pupils. However, the trench billies in "The Good Krabby Name" do have pupils.
- This is one of the rare episodes where Squidward cares about the Krusty Krab customers (since he's complaining that Mr. Krabs didn't give the customer his money back).
- This is the second time SpongeBob was used as a guitar/banjo. The first was in "Rodeo Daze."
- If this story is true, then this episode reveals that Patrick has better eyesight than SpongeBob.
- This episode premiered three years after the To Love a Patty DVD was released.
- This is the second episode where SpongeBob and Patrick wound up lost in a city deep at the bottom of the seabed. The first time was in the episode "Rock Bottom."
- The name Trenchbilly is a parody of a Hillbilly.
- The episode's name may be a parody of the Adult Swim show, Squidbillies.
- Another similarity is that Ma Angler is like Rusty's mother in Squidbillies in that they are both extremely fat and cannot move from one place to another on their own.
- It is unknown how SpongeBob, Patrick, and the Trenchbillies got out from the trench.
- When Teether went out of the house, the smoke becomes gray, but when he came back, it is black again.
- Several times when SpongeBob was looking at the jellyfish from his binoculars, his mouth crossed over his arm.