Thomas James "Tom" Kenny (born July 13, 1962; age 56) is an American actor, voice actor, singer, and voice director best known as the voice of SpongeBob SquarePants in the franchise of the same name. His other SpongeBob SquarePants roles include Gary the Snail, Harold SquarePants, and the French Narrator. Additionally, he has written several songs for the show (such as "The Best Day Ever") and has held the position of voice director since season 9. In addition to voice acting, he has also portrayed some live-action characters, such as Patchy the Pirate and live-action cameo appearances as himself. Throughout the series, he has spoken at least one line in each episode, with the exception of the dialogue-free episode "Reef Blower."
Kenny was born in Syracuse, New York in 1962. He is the husband of Jill Talley (the voice of Karen Plankton). Kenny is a prolific voice actor outside of SpongeBob, known for voicing characters such as the Ice King in Adventure Time, the Mayor in both incarnations of The Powerpuff Girls, Heffer in Rocko's Modern Life, and Dog in CatDog.
List of live-action cameos
- Note: This list does not include the Patchy the Pirate appearances.
- "Karate Choppers" - The drop of Volcano Sauce
- "Suds" - The guy taking a shower and used to help cure SpongeBob of the suds and Hans
- "Neptune's Spatula" - The same guy taking a shower, but this time, he is greatly frightened by King Neptune.
- "Krusty Love" - The imported pianist
- "Ugh" - One of the choir member and X-29488
- "SpongeHenge" - As the sun, saying, "Time for work, SpongeBob."
- "Feral Friends" - The French narrator in his diver suit.
- "Patnocchio" - Hans giving Patnocchio a high five.
- The following is a list of works where Tom Kenny played a role, outside of the SpongeBob SquarePants series.
- Rocko's Modern Life - Heffer Wolfe, numerous other characters
- Dexter's Laboratory - ValHallen, Douglas Peepers, Creature #1, Robot, Scientist #1, Alien, Narrator, Fish, Gage, Student #3, Rocker
- Johnny Bravo - Carl Chryniszzswics
- CatDog - Dog, Cliff
- The Powerpuff Girls - The Mayor of Townsville, Narrator, Elf#1, Little boy
- Brandy and Mr. Whiskers- Ed the Otter
- Teen Titans - Mumbo Jumbo
- The Fairly OddParents - Cupid
- Codename: Kids Next Door - Knightbrace, Common Cold, Chester, Cuppa Joe, President James Nixon McGarfield, Mr. John Wink, Principal, Hall Monitors, Interesting Twins From Beneath the Mountain (Boy), Sheldon, Bartie Stork/Numbuh 35 ("Operation: U.N.D.E.R.C.O.V.E.R."), Goof (Member of the Six-Gum Gang), Ned the Guard, President Jimmy Robot, Numbuh 30c, Nerd Zombie Leader, Numbuh 34, Numbuh 142, Billy Hocslawger, Teen Ninjas, Ice Cream Men, Candy Pirates, Hoagie Gilligan IV (Numbuh 2's grandson), Narrator of "Operation: N.A.U.G.H.T.Y.," Rowdy Hooligans from Across the Square, Trevor, Eggbert Eggleston, Bruce of the Delightful Children From Down The Lane
- The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy - Wiggly, Big Bad Wolf, Boo Boo Bear, King Cobra, Viper
- Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends - Eduardo
- My Life as a Teenage Robot - Various characters
- Handy Manny - Pat the Hammer
- Camp Lazlo - Scoutmaster Lumpus, Slinkman
- The X's - Copperhead, Wally
- The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius - Red Nanobot, Various characters
- My Gym Partner's a Monkey - Jake Spidermonkey
- Transformers: Animated - Starscream, Isaac Sumdac, Wasp, and some other bots
- Batman: The Brave and the Bold - Plastic Man
- Big Time Rush episode "Big Time Beach Party" - Patchy the Pirate
- Adventure Time - Ice King, Gunter
- Wander Over Yonder - Peepers
- Mighty Cat Masked Niyander & Mighty Cat Masked Niyander ZXL - Nyago Nyanoko/Niyander
- Mixels - Flain
- Breadwinners - Sway-Sway's father
- Clarence - Sumo
- Miles from Tomorrowland - Leo Callisto
- Talking Tom and Friends - Hank
- Puppy Dog Pals - A.R.F. (Auto-Doggie Robotic Friend), Various characters
- Xiaolin Showdown - Raimundo, Grand Master Dashi, Vlad and the Hannibal Roy Bean
- Rick and Morty - Squanchy, King Jellybean, Million Ants
- The Haunting Hour: The Series - Uncle Howee
- Cake Wars
This list is incomplete, but you can help Encyclopedia SpongeBobia by expanding it.
- Here Comes Peter Cottontail: The Movie - Peter Cottontail, Junior, Antoine
- Happily 'N-Ever After - Many minor voice roles
- Rabbit in Winnie the Pooh (2011 film), replacing Ken Sansom and taking over after Sansom's death in October 2012.
- Sky High - Mr. Timmerman
- The Legend of Frosty the Snowman - Mr. Tinkerton.
- Transformers (film series) - Wheelie, Skids
- The Nut Job 2: Nutty by Nature - Buddy
- Fairly OddBaby - Cupid
- Wishology - Cupid / Fairy Geek #2 / Voice / Eliminator #4 / Eliminator #6 / Guardian / Eliminator #3/Elder #2
- Abra-Catastrophe! - Cupid / Muffin Man / Kid / Fairy Sergeant/flashback fariy
- Fairy Idol - Cupid
- Wally: Opening Day - Wally the Green Monster
This list is incomplete, but you can help Encyclopedia SpongeBobia by expanding it.
- Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage
- Spyro: Year of the Dragon
- Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly
- Spyro Reignited Trilogy - Spyro the Dragon
- He voices Stink Bomb from the Skylanders games starting with Swap Force
- The Powerpuff Girls: Relish Rampage - Narrator, Mayor, Snake
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike - Biggs
- Teen Titans - Mumbo Jumbo
- Xiaolin Showdown (video game) - Raimundo Pedrosa
- Cartoon Network Racing - Carl
- Marvel Heroes - Doctor Octopus, Morph
- Marvel Super Hero Squad: The Infinity Gauntlet - Iron Man, MODOK
- Samurai Jack: The Shadow of Aku - Various characters
- Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader - Biggs, Rebel Wingman 3, Transport Captain 2
- Scooby-Doo! Mystery Mayhem - Various characters
This section is in need of cleanup in order to comply with Encyclopedia SpongeBobia's Manual of Style. Please help Encyclopedia SpongeBobia by making this section specific and short.
- Over the years, many fans of the show have asked Kenny to lend SpongeBob's voice to their voice email and answering machines. In an interview, he joked that these custom messages might be more common than the factory - default voice.
- Kenny also does the voice of the announcer at the Nickelodeon Kids Choice Awards every year.
- Kenny first used the voice for SpongeBob for a minor female alligator character called Al on Rocko's Modern Life. This is also the first time Kenny and Stephen Hillenburg worked together. Hillenburg wanted Kenny to use that voice for SpongeBob, so he showed him a clip of Al in Rocko's Modern Life to remind Kenny of the voice.
- SpongeBob SquarePants is the longest-running Nickelodeon series, which makes Kenny the most successful voice actor on Nickelodeon.
- He also voiced Han "Chuck" Solo in the Angry Birds Star Wars Cinematic Trailer. Han's laugh also sounds similar to SpongeBob's.
- To produce SpongeBob's trademark laugh, Kenny pats his throat while saying "ah."
- His birthday is one day before SpongeBob's, on July 14.
- "Mall Girl Pearl" is the only episode where Tom Kenny voices SpongeBob once (due to the character only having one line in the episode).
- When SpongeBob jellyfishes he wears glasses that look similar to those of his portrayer.
- He is the only actor of the series to get credited on every episode of the show.
- In the 2017 San Diego Comic Con, he said his favorite SpongeBob meme is "Mocking SpongeBob."
- For a full list of episodes where Tom Kenny is credited, see List of episode credits.
|1a - "Help Wanted"||Voice of SpongeBob SquarePants, Narrator, bus driver, and Gary the Snail|
|1b - "Reef Blower"||Voice of SpongeBob|
|1c - "Tea at the Treedome"||Voice of SpongeBob|
|2a - "Bubblestand"||Voice of SpongeBob|
|2b - "Ripped Pants"||Voice of SpongeBob and Narrator|
|3a - "Jellyfishing"||Voice of SpongeBob and Narrator|
|3b - "Plankton!"||Voice of SpongeBob and Gary|
|4a - "Naughty Nautical Neighbors"||Voice of SpongeBob|
|4b - "Boating School"||Voice of SpongeBob and Gary|
|5a - "Pizza Delivery"||Voice of SpongeBob|
|5b - "Home Sweet Pineapple"||Voice of SpongeBob, Gary, and Dad|
|6a - "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy"||Voice of SpongeBob, Gary, Dad, Chef, and Young Mermaid Man|
|6b - "Pickles"||Voice of SpongeBob and Gary|
|7a - "Hall Monitor"||Voice of SpongeBob, Narrator, and Bill|
|7b - "Jellyfish Jam"||Voice of SpongeBob, Gary, Jellyfish, and Narrator|
|8a - "Sandy's Rocket"||Voice of SpongeBob and Gary|
|8b - "Squeaky Boots"||Voice of SpongeBob and Gary|
|9a - "Nature Pants"||Voice of SpongeBob, Gary, and Snail|
|9b - "Opposite Day"||Voice of SpongeBob and Gary|
|10a - "Culture Shock"||Voice of SpongeBob, Gary, Guy #1 and Mr. SpongeBob|
|10b - "F.U.N."||Voice of SpongeBob, Cop, and Guy #1|
|11a - "MuscleBob BuffPants"||Voice of SpongeBob, Gary, Fish Guy, and Skinny Fish|
|11b - "Squidward the Unfriendly Ghost"||Voice of SpongeBob|
|12a - "The Chaperone"||Voice of SpongeBob, Billy Fish, and Photo Fish|
|12b - "Employee of the Month"||Voice of SpongeBob|
|13a - "Scaredy Pants"||Voice of SpongeBob, Mom, Gary, and Narrator|
|13b - "I Was a Teenage Gary"||Voice of SpongeBob, Doctor, and Gary|
|14a - "SB-129"||Voice of SpongeBob and Narrator|
|14b - "Karate Choppers"||Voice of SpongeBob, Narrator, TV fish, and Volcano Sauce drop|
|15a - "Sleepy Time"||Voice of SpongeBob and Gary|
|15b - "Suds"||Voice of SpongeBob, Gary, Guy in shower and Hans|
|16a - "Valentine's Day"||Voice of SpongeBob, Vender Fish, and Kid|
|16b - "The Paper"||Voice of SpongeBob and Gary|
|17a - "Arrgh!"||Voice of SpongeBob and Customer|
|17b - "Rock Bottom"||Voice of SpongeBob|
|18a - "Texas"||Voice of SpongeBob, Fish #1, #2, and #3|
|18b - "Walking Small"||Voice of SpongeBob, Fish #1, #2, #3, and Doll|
|19a - "Fools in April"||Voice of SpongeBob, Gary, and Guy #1|
|19b - "Neptune's Spatula"||Voice of SpongeBob, Guy #1 and Guy in shower|
|20a - "Hooky"||Voice of SpongeBob, Gary, and Narrator|
|20b - "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy II"||Voice of SpongeBob, Gary, and Narrator|
|21a - "Your Shoe's Untied"||Voice of SpongeBob, Gary, Monkey|
|21b - "Squid's Day Off"||Voice of SpongeBob, Narrator|
|22a - "Something Smells"||Voice of SpongeBob, Gary|
|22b - "Bossy Boots"||Voice of SpongeBob, Gary|
|23a - "Big Pink Loser"||Voice of SpongeBob, Narrator|
|23b - "Bubble Buddy"||Voice of SpongeBob, Narrator, Vendor #1|
|24a - "Dying for Pie"||Voice of SpongeBob|
|24b - "Imitation Krabs"||Voice of SpongeBob, Hans, Fish #1, Narrator|
|25a - "Wormy"||Voice of SpongeBob, Fish #2|
|25b - "Patty Hype"||Voice of SpongeBob, Fish #2, Scotsman, Ladies, Fish #50|
|26a - "Grandma's Kisses"||Voice of SpongeBob|
|26b - "Squidville"||Voice of SpongeBob, Squid Guard, Squid #2|
|27a - "Prehibernation Week"||Voice of SpongeBob, Fish #71, Muscle Guy|
|27b - "Life of Crime"||Voice of SpongeBob, Muscle Guy, Balloon Salesman|
|28 - "Christmas Who?"||SpongeBob, Patchy, Narrator, Old Fish, Singer #1, Gary, Jellyfish|
|29a - "Survival of the Idiots"||Voice of SpongeBob|
|29b - "Dumped"||Voice of SpongeBob, Gary, Larry|
|30a - "No Free Rides"||Voice of SpongeBob, Dad, Narrator|
|30b - "I'm Your Biggest Fanatic"||Voice of SpongeBob, King Jellyfish|
|31a - "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy III"||Voice of SpongeBob|
|31b - "Squirrel Jokes"||Voice of SpongeBob|
|32a - "Pressure"||Voice of SpongeBob, Seagull|
|32b - "The Smoking Peanut"||Voice of SpongeBob, Narrator, Guy|
|33a - "Shanghaied"||Voice of SpongeBob, Patchy, Narrator|
|33b - "Gary Takes a Bath"||Voice of SpongeBob, Gary|
|34a - "Welcome to the Chum Bucket"||Voice of SpongeBob, Robot|
|34b - "Frankendoodle"||Voice of SpongeBob, Narrator, Gary, Jellyfish|
|35a - "The Secret Box"||Voice of SpongeBob, Gary|
|35b - "Band Geeks"||Voice of SpongeBob, Narrator|
|36a - "Graveyard Shift"||Voice of SpongeBob, Narrator|
|36b - "Krusty Love"||Voice of SpongeBob, Narrator, Woman, Waiter|
|37a - "Procrastination"||Voice of SpongeBob, Gary, Clock|
|37b - "I'm with Stupid"||Voice of SpongeBob, Gary|
|38a - "Sailor Mouth"||Voice of SpongeBob, Sailor, Fish 1|
|38b - "Artist Unknown"||Voice of SpongeBob, Fish 1|
|39a - "Jellyfish Hunter"||Voice of SpongeBob, Narrator, Jellyfish|
|39b - "The Fry Cook Games"||Voice of SpongeBob, Big Guy, Vendor|
|40a - "Squid on Strike"||Voice of SpongeBob, Narrator, Fish #156 Teenager 1|
|40b - "Sandy, SpongeBob, and the Worm"||Voice of SpongeBob, Narrator, Gary, Hook Fish, Fish 156|
|41a - "The Algae's Always Greener"||Voice of Alternate-Universe SpongeBob, Fish #83 Old Man|
|41b - "SpongeGuard on Duty"||Voice of SpongeBob, Narrator, Old Man Fish #83|
|42a - "Club SpongeBob"||Voice of SpongeBob|
|42b - "My Pretty Seahorse"||Voice of SpongeBob, Narrator, Flower 2, Old Man Jenkins|
|43a - "Just One Bite"||Voice of SpongeBob|
|43b - "The Bully"||Voice of SpongeBob, Gary, Old Man|
|44a - "Nasty Patty"||Voice of SpongeBob, Narrator|
|44b - "Idiot Box"||Voice of SpongeBob, Police, Astronaut|
|45a - "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy IV"||Voice of SpongeBob, Narrator, Fish #3, Fish#4|
|45b - "Doing Time"||Voice of SpongeBob, Mrs Puff's Dad, Writer, Fish #3, Fish #4|
|46a - "Snowball Effect"||Voice of SpongeBob, Gary, Narrator, Jellyfish, Mad Fish|
|46b - "One Krabs Trash"||Voice of SpongeBob, Narrator, Skater Fish, Fish #1, Gary|
|47a - "As Seen on TV"||Voice of SpongeBob, Narrator, Gary, Old Fish, Tall Fish|
|47b - "Can You Spare a Dime?"||Voice of SpongeBob, Narrator, Gary|
|48a - "No Weenies Allowed"||Voice of SpongeBob, Narrator, Line Fish #1|
|48b - "Squilliam Returns"||Voice of SpongeBob, Narrator|
|49a - "Krab Borg"||Voice of SpongeBob, Gary, TV announcer|
|49b - "Rock-a-Bye Bivalve"||Voice of SpongeBob, Gary, Narrator|
|50a - "Wet Painters"||Voice of SpongeBob, Narrator|
|50b - "Krusty Krab Training Video"||Voice of SpongeBob|
|51 - "Party Pooper Pants"||Voice of SpongeBob, Narrator, Gary, Patchy, Announcer|
|52a - "Chocolate with Nuts"||Voice of SpongeBob, Elderly Woman's Mom, Maitred|
|52b - "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy V"||Voice of SpongeBob, Geek fish, Pillow fish, Dirty Bubble|
|53a - "New Student Starfish"||Voice of SpongeBob, Gary, Fish 1|
|53b - "Clams"||Voice of SpongeBob|
|54 - "Ugh"||Voice of SpongeBob, Narrator, Gary, Patchy, Robot, Choir|
|55a - "The Great Snail Race"||Voice of SpongeBob, Gary, Narrator|
|55b - "Mid-Life Crustacean"||Voice of SpongeBob, Narrator, Kid Fish #2, Old Fish #2, Scout|
|56a - "Born Again Krabs"||Voice of SpongeBob, Narrator, Pinch-o-Matic|
|56b - "I Had an Accident"||Voice of SpongeBob, Gary, Jellyfish, Old Fish, Pinch-o-matic|
|57a - "Krabby Land"||Voice of SpongeBob, Gary, Narrator|
|57b - "The Camping Episode"||Voice of SpongeBob|
|58a - "Missing Identity"||Voice of SpongeBob, Gary, Peterson|
|58b - "Plankton's Army"||Voice of SpongeBob, Narrator, Cousin #1|
|59 - "The Sponge Who Could Fly"||Voice of SpongeBob, Narrator, Gary, Grandpa SquarePants, Fish #86, Fish #1, Patchy the Pirate|
|60a - "SpongeBob Meets the Strangler"||Voice of SpongeBob, Narrator|
|60b - "Pranks a Lot"||Voice of SpongeBob, Narrator, Geek fish, Poo fish, Eyeball #1|
|List of episode credits|
|Awards and nominations for SpongeBob SquarePants (V • E)