- French narrator
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- SpongeBob RoundPants (debut)
- Man on the Tacoma Narrows Bridge
- People in the rain
- Screaming woman
- Gary the Snail
- Patrick Star
- Patty Rechid
- Margaret SquarePants (mentioned)
- Sandy Cheeks
- Squidward Tentacles
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Debbie Rechid
- Nat Peterson
- Dennis (citizen)
- Frank (red shirt)
- Frankie Billy
- Harold "Bill" Reginald
- Ivy (gray)
- Old Man Jenkins
- Abigail Marge
- Nathiel Waters
- Tina Fran
- Nancy Suzy Fish
The episode starts with the narrator talking about a horrible tragedy, and showing an over-water hurricane, and then showing footage of the 1940 collapse of Tacoma Narrows Bridge (Galloping Gertie), with a guy running from the bridge before it's collapse. After that, it goes to a rainy day at SpongeBob's pineapple where inside is SpongeBob with the calendar on January 10. The narrator said that the tragedy happened three days ago; it then flips the calendar back to January 7. SpongeBob is seen doing chores, including laundry, with his pants and Gary's shell. Then, Patrick calls SpongeBob to show that he can make funny sounds with his tongue for a very long time; SpongeBob asks Patrick if it can wait, but Patrick refuses, so he continues on.
Meanwhile, Gary gets his shell out of the laundry. By the time SpongeBob gets to the laundry machine, his pants had shrunk. He goes to the store to buy new ones, but Patty Rechid declares that there will not be any square pants for months. He then looks through the pants, he tries many pairs but is not interested, he then finds a pair of round pants with the same design as his normal pants
While walking with his round pants, SpongeBob bumps into Patrick, but Patrick does not recognize him. He bumps into Sandy, who pretends that she does not know SpongeBob saying that they must call him SpongeBob FancyPants. Then, SpongeBob passes Squidward's house, and Squidward pretends not to recognize SpongeBob in order to get him to leave him alone. Being gullible, SpongeBob really thinks that Patrick, Sandy, and Squidward do not know him, so he starts making himself over, naming himself, SpongeBob RoundPants.
SpongeBob gets his job at the Krusty Krab again, and looks to Squidward for pointers. Squidward gives SpongeBob his bad routine of being a Krusty Krab employee (including not throwing the trash in the dumpster, being rude to the customers, nasally laughing like Squidward, burning Krabby Patties, taking too long in the bathroom, and even sleeping on the job). Mr. Krabs realizes what is going on, and he does not joke around when he sees SpongeBob. SpongeBob then tells Mr. Krabs that he cannot be SpongeBob SquarePants again, as he has round pants. Mr. Krabs then suggests that he just remove them if that was the case. Then, SpongeBob takes off his pants, but Sandy calls him "SpongeBob UnderPants," and the episode ends with SpongeBob looking at his underwear and screaming with embarrassment.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Hawaiian Train - Victor Cavini [title card]
‣ Hawaiian Flower - Jon Jelmer [opening]
‣ Twilight Zone - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [stock footage of storm]
‣ Marching to Honolulu - Kapono Beamer [laundry day]
‣ Cartoon Sting 1 - Phone call from Patrick
‣ Steel Sting (b) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Yeah, Patrick."]
‣ Dramatic Impact 3 - Ivor Slaney [all of SpongeBob's pants shrunk]
‣ Steel Licks - Jeremy Wakefield ["I'm gonna need to get new pants."]
‣ Ballet Shoes [#60.03] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [mall exterior]
‣ Steel Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield [they're out of square pants]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob puts on long pants]
‣ ? - SpongeBob puts another pants
‣ Unknown Track 51 - Nicolas Carr [Hippy pants]
‣ Unknown Track 26 - Nicolas Carr [rock guitar sting]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr [round pants]
‣ Parting of the Clouds - Nicolas Carr [round pants]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob tries them on]
‣ Skipping to School - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick doesn't recognize SpongeBob]
‣ Hello Blues - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Patrick's so full of tartar sauce."]
‣ ? [banjo music]
‣ Hello Blues - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["But I know my best buddy Squidward will recognize me."]
‣ Comic Walk - Nicolas Carr [Squidward ignoring SpongeBob]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob gets an idea]
‣ Comic Walk - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob shows pictures to Squidward]
‣ Steel Licks (d) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob walks away]
‣ Seaweed - Steve Belfer ["Hello, can I help you?"]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill ["I guess I'm not SpongeBob SquarePants anymore."]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band ["Hello, sir, I'd like an application please."]
‣ Captain Lenoe's - Michael Arthur, Colin Cater, Mick Graves, The Folk Players, Sarah Graves, Simon Ritchie [Squidward punches himself]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr ["Here are the applications."]
‣ Botany Bay - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob filling out application]
‣ Sailor's Sting 2 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Squidward showing SpongeBob the ropes]
‣ Shellfish Behavior - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob copying everything Squidward does]
‣ The Drunken Sailor - "What are you two doing?"
‣ Goofy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Do these pants look square to you?"]
‣ Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick sitting at a table]
‣ Hawaiian Adventures SpongeBob Theme - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob's To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants, Season 6 Volume 1, and Complete Sixth Season DVDs.
- As of January 2, 2018, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 6.3/10 based on 159 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 7.3/10 based on 148 votes.
- This episode aired exactly 10 years after the first official SpongeBob SquarePants episode premiered.
- This episode aired on July 17, 2009, three days after SpongeBob's 23rd birthday.
- This episode was the first to premiere in The Ultimate SpongeBob SpongeBash.
- The episode's title sometimes shortened by a word. This is because:
- On the To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants DVD-credits, this episode is listed as "To SquarePants or Not To."
- In Southeast Asia, in the UK, Turkey and Poland, this title card only says: "To SquarePants or Not to" because the original title is considered too long.
- During the live-action intro in this episode, footage of the 1940 Tacoma Narrows Bridge collapse is used, which was also used in "Two Thumbs Down" as part of the segment when SpongeBob breaks his thumbs.
- In this episode, the French Narrator says "SpongeBob SquarePants CHANGED his pants!" like it was a surprise, but SpongeBob has changed his pants a lot of times when he woke up. He is even shown in this episode pulling multiple pairs of pants out of his washing machine.
- Gary the Snail has buttocks under his shell in this episode and in "Welcome to the Bikini Bottom Triangle," but in "Shell Shocked," he only has organs and a slug body.
- The jeans that SpongeBob took out from the sale had holes in them, indicating it was already used.
- Or it could be a design.
- The round pants SpongeBob wears in this episode are quite similar in appearance to his pants in "The Sponge Who Could Fly" after being inflated, though they are much smaller and obviously not inflated.
- It is unknown why Patrick thought SpongeBob was a stranger throughout the episode, but it is possibly due to his low level of intelligence.
- Sandy pretended to not recognize SpongeBob because she was possibly teasing him as she kept calling him with different last names ("SpongeBob FancyPants" and "SpongeBob UnderPants").
- Squidward tried to get SpongeBob to go away, so he pretended not to recognize him.
- When SpongeBob was saying what goes on a squirrel's head is similar to "Squirrel Jokes."
- When SpongeBob talked about what goes on inside a squirrel's head, an image of a chattering squirrel is shown and SpongeBob cringes afterwards. This scene has become a fad on YouTube, with random scenes replacing the squirrel image.
- When Squidward pretends he doesn't know SpongeBob, SpongeBob pulls out some photos to jog Squidward's memory but it is unknown how those pictures were inside those pants if they were new and the original ones shrunk.
- The picture shown by SpongeBob when he forgot where the last picture took place actually took place in the episode "Choir Boys" when Squidward was singing in the shower at the very beginning of the episode. However, we did not see SpongeBob in front of the shower in "Choir Boys" for some odd reason.
- When SpongeBob takes out the first pair of pants when he was in the store, but when Mr. Krabs walks out of his office, look at the guy in front of the order line and look at the pants. It's the same pants as the first pair SpongeBob took out in the store.
- This is the first time Squidward is seen reading the House Fancy magazine.
- This is the second appearance of SpongeBob's laundry room, the first was in "Dumped." Although, it looks different in this episode than it did in that episode.
- This episode premiered on David Hasselhoff's 57th birthday and ten years after the premiere of "Bubblestand" and "Ripped Pants."
- There is a book based on this episode called "SpongeBob RoundPants."
- In the Croatian dub, the episode name is "Skockani ili Ne" translating to "SquarePants or Not."
- In the Greek dub, the episode name, "Τετραγωνοπαντελονής ή Όχι", can be translated to the same one in the Croatian dub.
- The time card "Much, Much Later" is similar to the title card of "The Algae's Always Greener."
- The title is a parody of the famous Shakespeare quote "To Be or Not to Be?"
- This episode was inspired by the Twilight Zone episodes.
- The plot of the episode is similar to the episode Murray's Shirt from the first season of The Wiggles when Murray had changed into a new shirt and didn't get recognized by his friends just like SpongeBob did when he got changed into his round pants.
- Patty Rechid says that it will take months for SpongeBob to get new square pants, however 3 days later (at the beginning of the episode's narration), he is wearing square pants again.
- The first time Sandy pretends not to recognize SpongeBob, he just shrugs and says "Course it was just Sandy, and Neptune knows what goes on inside a squirrel's head." The second time she pretends not to recognize him however, SpongeBob doesn't take the situation lightly.
- After SpongeBob says, "I'll have to start all over again!," he just fills out an application and got the job. In the pilot episode, "Help Wanted," however, he did not ask for an application. He has to complete a challenge first.
- When Mr. Krabs says "I'm used to Squidward sleeping on the job, but I expect more from you, Mr. SquarePants." the yellow flag behind Mr. Krabs' eyes turns white for a split-second.
- When SpongeBob is talking to Mr. Krabs and says "They're round." his eyes turn green for a split-second.