- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patty (debut)
- Squidward Tentacles
- Purple Salty Spitoon patron (debut)
- Tough Guy
- Therapist (mentioned)
- Gary the Snail
- Patrick Star
- Sandy Cheeks
- Snake (mentioned)
- Martha Smith (first name revealed)
- Monroe Timmy
- Stunt scallops
- Eugene H. Krabs
At the Krusty Krab, SpongeBob is seen cooking Krabby Patties. He makes several Krabby Patties and falls in love with one, naming it "Patty." The patties are taken to customers who start wolfing down on the food. Consumed by guilt, SpongeBob rescues Patty by replacing her with a shoe, which the customer still enjoys.
SpongeBob takes Patty to his house. Patrick and Sandy arrive, both hoping to play with SpongeBob, only for SpongeBob to ignore them in favor of spending the day with Patty. Patrick is especially dismayed to have been rejected. Meanwhile, SpongeBob takes Patty to several activities, such as going to the fair eating cotton candy, the mall, the beach, and when clams try to eat Patty, SpongeBob attacks them with karate. Later, they ride a boat down a river, and they go down a waterfall and Patty falls apart in the water. SpongeBob puts the sandwich back together, but now Patty is soggy and gloomy looking.
After six hours of activity, SpongeBob takes Patty on a picnic in the park, but by now, the patty has spoiled. Somewhat oblivious to this, SpongeBob decides to take it on a date to the Krusty Krab. Once there, SpongeBob informs Mr. Krabs about his date and Mr. Krabs gets excited, thinking he is dating a rich girl, but finds it strange when he discovers the date is a Krabby Patty, with a rancid smell that drives off other customers. Squidward tries to tell SpongeBob that his date is just a rotten Krabby Patty, but SpongeBob still thinks Patty is beautiful until he smells her, then sees the hideous appearance of the spoiled patty.
SpongeBob questions how this came to be. Mr. Krabs tells the fry cook that he once fell in love with a Krabby Patty. He then tells SpongeBob that Krabby Patties are meant to be loved and eaten. SpongeBob finally knows what he must do and eats his date, feeling nauseous afterward. The episode ends with SpongeBob asking for a doggie bag.
There were 12 different models made for what SpongeBob would look like after Patrick ties him up.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ The Drunken Sailor - Nicolas Carr [title card]
◦ Surreptitiously Mine - Casey Alexander [SpongeBob sings this]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr ["Hey!"]
‣ Earl's Revenge - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob making Krabby Patties]
‣ Romeo & Juliet Overture - Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky, Fiachra Trench [SpongeBob falls in love with one of them]
‣ Keel Row - Brian Peters [SpongeBob gives the other patties to Squidward]
‣ Tearjerker [#78] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["A patty like you comes around once in a lifetime."]
‣ Space Fanfare - Gregor F. Narholz ["No, the job must come first."]
‣ The Legend Spreads - Steve London [sacred fry cook oath]
‣ Bad to the Spongebone - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony, Roberto Vergara [table of tough guys]
‣ Steel Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield [patty sheds tear]
‣ Tearjerker [#78] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["I can't let them eat you!"]
‣ Comic Walk - Sidney Torch [Squidward teases SpongeBob]
‣ Bad to the Spongebone - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony, Roberto Vergara [grilled shoe]
‣ Alekoki - Kapono Beamer [SpongeBob at home]
‣ Dramatic Cue (b) - Ronald Hanmer ["Fire!"]
‣ Steel Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob still running around]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer [Patrick at the door]
‣ Spring Cleaning [#5] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["...with Patty. As soon as the little lady dries her hair, we're heading out."]
‣ Spring Cleaning [#4] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["No time for karate today. After our walk, I'm going for a rowboat ride with Patty."]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill ["I've been replaced by a sandwich!"]
◦ I Can't Keep My Eyes Off of You - Zeus Cervas, Eban Schletter
‣ Bliss - Alec Gould [SpongeBob on a picnic]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band [Krabs wondering where SpongeBob is]
‣ Place Bleu - Werner Von Overheidt [SpongeBob in a tuxedo]
‣ Elegance [#27] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [limo arrives]
‣ The Pollywog Strut - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [customers leave]
‣ Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield [shot of moldy patty]
‣ Background Blues - Otto Sieben [reserved seat]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford [patty filled with maggots]
‣ Elegance [#27] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["She's the most gorgeous creature in the sea!"]
‣ The Jitters - Raymond C. Jones ["Patty...?"]
‣ House of Horror - W. Merrick Farran ["What's happened to you?!"]
‣ The Dreadnought Tea Clipper (b) - Tim Laycock, Robert Alexander White [patties are meant to be eaten]
‣ Romantic Ending [#32] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["I see what I must do."]
‣ Drunken Sailor (b) - Robin Jeffrey, Tim Laycock [ending]
- This episode is available on the To Love a Patty, Season 5 Volume 1, Complete Fifth Season, and First 100 Episodes DVDs.
- As of August 17, 2016, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 6.6/10 based on 145 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a 6.5/10 based on 142 votes.
- This episode aired in Germany on June 7, 2007, before it aired in the USA.
- There are 32 hearts on the title card.
- The tough fish who wanted to eat Patty, but instead got a shoe burger, is the same tough fish that was the first fish in the telescope in "Shanghaied." He's also one of the fish who helps SpongeBob stall the kids in "Krabby Land." This episode also reveals that he loves grilled shoes.
- The song "I Can't Keep My Eyes Off of You" was used for Rock Band 2 DLC.
- The Patty gone rottenness is similar to the one they once tried to feed the Health Inspector in "Nasty Patty." Considering Patty was given cotton candy, and dropped in dirty water, it did go through an arguably similar ordeal to the Nasty Patty.
- In "Born Again Krabs" and "Nasty Patty," spoiled Krabby Patties were potentially lethal if consumed.
- SpongeBob did not notice the patty was rotten until Mr. Krabs and Squidward revealed it to him.
- This is the first time Patrick cries by covering his eyes. The second was "No Hat for Pat," the third was "Truth or Square," the fourth was "Yours, Mine and Mine," the fifth was "That Sinking Feeling," the sixth was "The Main Drain," the seventh was "Hide and Then What Happens?," the eighth was "Big Sister Sam," and the ninth was "The Googly Artiste."
- This is one of the few episodes in which Mr. Krabs offers a discount to a patron.
- This episode premiered four years after "Gary Takes a Bath" premiered and one year after "New Leaf" premiered in Australia.
- In Dutch, this episode is called "Allerliefste Krabby" which means "Beloved Krabby."
- In the Croatian dub, the episode name is "Zaljubljena Spužva" which means "Sponge in Love."
- The song SpongeBob sings to his patty sounds a little similar to "Go Your Own Way" by Fleetwod Mac.
- Squidward saying "How should I know? Do I look like my idiot's keeper?" is a reference to the Bible, when Cain answers God's question by saying "Am I my brother's keeper?"
- Even though SpongeBob says it is his and Patty's six hour anniversary, by the time Patty arrives at the Krusty Krab only an hour has gone by between when SpongeBob left with her and the date.
- The appearance of SpongeBob's Krabby Patty keeps changing throughout the episode. Example: When Squidward holds the patty, there are worms. But when SpongeBob holds it, there is mold.