- Frankie Billy
- Harold "Bill" Reginald
- Squidward Tentacles
- Patrick Star
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Therapist (mentioned)
- Purple Doctorfish
- Nurse Rechid (last name revealed)
- Mable (name revealed)
- Fred (normal; blue)
- Jennifer Millie
- King Neptune (mentioned)
- Abigail Marge
- Martha Smith
- Nancy Suzy Fish
- Shelly Fishbowl
- Tina Fran
- Debbie Rechid
- Miss Shell
- Nathiel Waters
- Nat Peterson
- Vera Fishbowl
- Frank the Lifeguard
- Jimmy Gus
- Frank the Red-Shirt-Wearing Fish
- Medley Fishbowl
- Monroe Timmy
- Susie Rechid
- Grandma Tentacles or Squidward's Maternal Grandma (mentioned)
- Frank the Goldfish
- Officer Rob Johnson
- Taylor Fishbowl
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Miss Rechid
- Officer John Slugfish
- Purple Fish
- Gary the Snail (cameo in picture)
- Other Bikini Bottomites
The episode begins with SpongeBob and Patrick singing 'squidward had a krabby patty' at the Krusty Krab. Squidward becomes very annoyed, so he tells them to stop. However, they ignore him and continue singing, so Squidward goes to the door of the kitchen to yell at them, but just as he reaches the door, the door swings open as SpongeBob comes out singing, and it hits squidward in the face. Squidward is in great pain, and yells at SpongeBob to take him to the hospital. At the hospital, SpongeBob is nervously pacing up and down and chewing on Krusty Krab hats, when the Purple Doctorfish opens the door to the waiting room. SpongeBob bursts into tears and asks if Squidward is going to be okay, to which the Doctorfish replies by saying they won't know for two weeks.
There is a bubble transition, and two weeks later, SpongeBob goes into the hospital holding a Bouquet of flowers. He gives one of the flowers to Mable, who is apparently suffering from amnesia, and then he walks into Squidward's operation room. The Purple Doctorfish says that Squidward had asked to keep SpongeBob far away from him, but SpongeBob promises to stay out of the way. Just as the Doctorfish is about to cut the bandages, SpongeBob interrupts him, saying to not rush it. He then interrupts a second time asking if Squidward has enough 'emensmansera', to which the doctor says he has never heard of. SpongeBob interrupts a third time saying the readings on a brain meter (which is actually a television) are wrong, and a forth time with a television programme. SpongeBob interrupts to apologise for interrupting, and then the bandages are finally cut. Squidward's face is so handsome it causes the doctor and a nurse to faint, and when Squidward looks in a mirror, he is thrilled to see he really is handsome.
As Squidward is walking through town, multiple fish see him, call him handsome and faint. One fish crashes a car, and an old lady regains the ability to walk, a blind fish regains the ability to see, and one fish becomes able to fly. Many fish begin taking photographs of Squidward, and one asks for an autograph. Squidward is enjoying the attention. A limo is waiting for Squidward and SpongeBob, which return them to Squidward's house. Many fans follow the limo, and take pictures of Squidward as he walks to his house. Squidward goes to sleep, while a group of fish are chanting 'handsome handsome handsome' outside his house all night. In the morning, Squidward remembers he is handsome, and goes out to greet the crowd, which has grown significantly over night. Suddenly, the fans start trying to take his shirt and eyelids, and Squidward rushes back inside. Squidward instead decides to play them a song on his clarinet, and the crowd cheer for him. But then, someone grabs his clarinet from him as he is leaning out the window, and that fish is attacked by the crowd who also want the clarinet.Squidward tries to take his mind off the incident by having a herbal bath, but someone reaches through the window and grabs his soap. Squidward tries to enjoy his bath, but a huge fish emerges out of his bath, and then fish start coming through his window, door and even toilet, and try to 'get' him. Squidward jumps out the window, but the crowd is still outside, and they start to approach him. He runs into SpongeBob's house, who is trimming his toenails, and Squidward begs SpongeBob to help him get his old life back. SpongeBob and Squidward cut through the crowd and run to the Krusty Krab, with the crowd chasing after them.
When they arrive, Mr. Krabs is thrilled to see a crowd of people outside the Krusty Krab, and tells the crowd they can pay to touch Squidward. Squidward asks SpongeBob to smash the door in his face before Mr. Krabs opens the doors to the Krusty Krab. SpongeBob doesn't want to hurt Squidward on purpose, but Squidward tells SpongeBob to hurt him or he will hurt SpongeBob, so SpongeBob repeatedly slams the door in Squidward's face. This ends up making Squidward even more handsome, then suddenly a shoe falls through a hole in the roof. Before it hits Squidward in the head, SpongeBob shoves him out of the way, and he stumbles face first into a pole. This returns Squidwards face to normal, and the crowd leaves. In an attempt to bring them back, Mr. Krabs repeatedly slams the door into Squidwards face, to no avail. Then the episode ends.
In this episode, SpongeBob says, "Handsome. But she spelled it wrong." after Squidward asks what Sadie had called him a moment before. This was an inside joke, where the word, "Handsome" was missing the "d" on the storyboards of that scene.
Originally, the thing that was going cause Squidward to get a broken face was a truck. It was changed to SpongeBob slamming the door on his face because it would've been too frightening to be shown.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Tentically Speaking - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
‣ The Achterhoek Dances - Jan Rap ["Welcome to the Krusty Krab."/"Remind me to fire my therapist."]
‣ King Conga - Dennis Farnon [SpongeBob and Patrick dancing]
‣ Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward getting angry]
‣ She'll Be Coming Round the Mountain - Harry Bluestone, James Bland, Emil Cadkin [SpongeBob sings as he slams the door in Squidward's face]
‣ Dramatic Impact 3 - Ivor Slaney [Squidward screams]
‣ Classic Soap 14 - Dieter Reith [at the hospital]
‣ Hello Blues - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [two weeks later]
‣ Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield ["Right."]
‣ Menace [#42] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [doctor's about to remove Squidward's bandages]
‣ Steel Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield ["That is a television set put here for the patients' enjoyment."]
‣ Menace [#42] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [SpongeBob interrupts]
‣ Classic Soap 1 (a) - Dieter Reith [SpongeBob watching TV]
‣ Menace [#42] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [SpongeBob interrupts again]
‣ Steel Sting (b) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I just wanted to say sorry for interrupting you before."]
‣ Menace [#36] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [bandages removed from Squidward]
‣ Mists of Illusion - Gilbert Vinter [doctor faints]
‣ Get 'em Off! (a) - Richard Myhill ["Handsome!"]
‣ Evil Mind 8 - Dick de Benedictis [Squidward looks in a mirror]
‣ Get 'em Off! (a) - Richard Myhill ["Wait a second... that nurse was right!"]
‣ Simply Fab - Larry G. Wilcox [everyone swooning over Squidward]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr [Squidward wakes up the next morning]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [huge crowd outside Squidward's house]
‣ Box Office [#76] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["Good morning, my people."]
‣ ? - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Squidward playing clarinet]
‣ Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [someone takes Squidward's clarinet]
‣ Fruity Flute - Harry Bluestone [Squidward taking a bath]
‣ Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [everyone bursts into Squidward's bathroom]
‣ Dramatic Impact 5 - Ivor Slaney [crowd chases Squidward]
‣ ? [SpongeBob clipping toenails]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill [Squidward wants his old life back]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Hmm, I know just what to do."]
‣ 60s Dreamer - Michael Rheault, Miles F. Hill [they run to the Krusty Krab]
‣ The Dreadnought Tea Clipper (b) - Tim Laycock, Robert Alexander White ["You know what the Krusty Krab means to me, don't you?"]
‣ Paroxysms (i) - Trevor Duncan ["We don't have much time."]
‣ Steel Licks - Jeremy Wakefield ["This is going to hurt me more than it's going to hurt you."]
‣ Votre Toast - Georges Bizet, Paul Pritchard [Squidward's even more handsome]
‣ Vesti La Giubba - Daryl Neil Alexander Griffith, Ruggero Leoncavallo [shoe falls from the sky]
‣ Box Office [#80] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Squidward's back to normal]
‣ Steel Sting (b) - Jeremy Wakefield [everyone leaves]
‣ What Shall We Do with the Drunken Sailor - Okko Bekker [ending]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob's WhoBob WhatPants?, Season 5 Volume 2, Complete Fifth Season, and First 100 Episodes DVDs.
- This episode has been banned in some countries, because both of the new "handsome" Squidwards, especially the second "even more handsome" Squidward, really terrified younger viewers.
- Another reason is because of the constant hitting Squidward in the face with the door, which a lot of places don't tolerate.
- Ironically, the "even more handsome" Squidward has also become a popular Internet phenomenon.
- The color of the text in the title card could possibly represent the color of Squidward's pupils and eyeballs.
- This episode shows that the characters have an obsession with the alphabet to the point where they can't speak without using it.
- The episode is banned in some countries due to the constant hitting Squidward with the door, and the two handsome versions of Squidward.
- The original way how Squidward got his face back to normal was that he got hit by a car, but it got changed to a support beam in the Krusty Krab, likely because the original scene would have been too frightening for young viewers.
- Purple Doctorfish, the doctor, differs from his previous episodes in terms of mean behavior and voice.
- This episode was paired with "The Inmates of Summer" during its first airing in Super Stuffed Nicksgiving Weekend 2007.
- This was Charlie Bean's only episode as writer and storyboard director.
- Squidward will have a change in appearance after a head injury into a baby in "Squid Baby."
- In the scene where SpongeBob is clipping his toenails, there is incense burning in the background.
- During the hospital scene, there is a television set in Squidward's room which Purple Doctorfish said "for the patient's enjoyment," which Squidward can't possibly watch due to the bandages on his head.
- Squidward's head was really broken twice in this episode because before Squidward's face was broken in the beginning, he was shown as a thermometer, and when the mercury was reaching to the boiling point, his forehead breaks off.
- This is the first time Squidward is on a title card.
- The second was in the title card of a later episode called "Oral Report."
- When SpongeBob and Patrick are first seen, SpongeBob is not wearing his Krusty Krab Employee Hat.
- The second time they are seen, SpongeBob is wearing his hat.
- This is the first episode where Squidward has his face changed physically. The second is "Not Normal."
- This is one of the few occasions when Squidward was acting like a friend to SpongeBob.
- On Squidward's second "handsome phase" it shows that he wears a belt on his shirt.
- Running Gags: Squidward getting hit in the face with the door and whenever Gill Gilliam tries to cut the bandages, SpongeBob shouts: "Wait!" or "Hold it!"
- In this episode, Squidward plays his clarinet well, while in others, he is shown to be very bad at it.
- During the scene where SpongeBob pushes Squidward out of the way to avoid the other falling bowling shoe (and reverting him back to his old self), the opera Pagliacci's aria "
- In the patient's room, when SpongeBob watches television, it shows Fred as a doctor with a female fish.
- When SpongeBob is hitting Squidward repeatedly with the door, you hear some cracking noises.
- This could mean he is breaking some bones or his face.
- Vesti la giubba" by Ruggero Leoncavallo was heard in the background during the scene when Squidward avoids a falling shoe.
- Squidward's second "handsome face" became a famous meme and running gag on the internet, being especially used as a Facebook profile picture or on other social sites and galleries.
- It has also been used in the One Direction fandom, where a mathematical formula shows One Direction's Zayn Malik being added to Squidward's "even more handsome" stage, resulting in one of the guys from The Wanted.
- This is Frankie Billy's 50th episode appearance.
- "Squidward Had a Krabby Patty" is a reference to "Mary Had a Little Lamb." The other two songs are set to "The Can Can" and "She'll Be Comin' 'Round The Mountain When She Comes," respectively.
- This episode's title spoof of the 1957 film, The Three Faces of Eve
- When Squidward looked even more handsome, he resembles Auguste Rodin's The Thinker and Sylvester Stallone.
- This episode seems to be an extended tribute to The Twilight Zone episode "The Eye of the Beholder.
- This episode is similar to The Simpsons episode Pygmoelian, where Moe gets plastic surgery to make himself "handsome."
- In the Krusty Krab, when Squidward's face is back to normal, there are only a few characters in the background as if the others had left. When the camera cuts outside, they're back before they leave.
- The floor in SpongeBob's House is brown, instead of the usual sand floor.
- When Squidward walks in on SpongeBob clipping his nails, he is wearing only a towel, and nothing else.
- When Squidward pulls SpongeBob by him, SpongeBob is wearing his normal clothes.
- SpongeBob's legs were unusually hairy and bulged while he was clipping his toenails.
- When SpongeBob and Squidward rush into the Krusty Krab and get chased by the Bikini Bottomites, the Chum Bucket across the street cannot be seen.
- At the Krusty Krab, a red fish in the background only has eye pupils for a moment while Mr. Krabs is speaking. In the next shot, his full eyeballs are back.