The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie is a film based on Nickelodeon's hit TV show SpongeBob SquarePants. In this movie, SpongeBob and Patrick set off for Shell City to retrieve King Neptune's crown in order to stop Plankton from taking over Bikini Bottom.
The movie was released in theaters in the United States on November 19, 2004 by Paramount Pictures. The movie was first aired on TV on November 10, 2006, during the Best Day Ever marathon. It was distributed in Switzerland, Spain, and Netherlands by Universal Pictures. On March 29, 2011, Paramount released the movie on Blu-ray. On December 30, 2014, Paramount re-released the movie on Blu-ray.
- The Seagulls
- The Pirates (debut)
- Captain Bart
- Upper Deck
- The Parrot
- Concessions guys
- Other audience members
- French Narrator
- Dream Officer Rob Johnson
- Dream Officer John Slugfish
- Dream Officer Nancy O'Malley
- Dream Paco
- Dream Dennis Rechid
- Dream Taylor Fishbowl
- Dream Susie Fishbowl
- Dream Vera Fishbowl
- Dream Thaddeus
- Dream Tina Fran
- Dream Sadie
- Dream Monroe Timmy
- Dream Medley Fishbowl
- Dream Harv
- Dream Pilar
- Dream Nat Peterson
- Dream Dale
- Dream Martin
- Dream Tom
- Dream Mr. Krabs
- Dream Frankie Billy
- Dream Scooter
- Dream Dave
- Dream Harold
- Dream Evelyn
- Dream Cara
- Dream John
- Dream Charlie
- Dream Clay
- Dream Debbie Rechid
- Dream Old Man Jenkins
- Dream Billy
- Dream Sandals
- Dream Fred
- Dream Sadie
- Dream Frank (Lifeguard)
- Dream Abigail Marge
- Dream Anchovies
- Dream SpongeBob
- Dream Martha Smith
- Dream Joe
- Dream Harold "Bill" Reginald
- Dream Perry
- Dream Nancy
- Dream Nazz-Mimi
- Dream Frank (red shirt)
- Phil's wife (mentioned)
- Phil's children (mentioned)
- Dream Jimmy Gus
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Gary the Snail
- Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy (cameo on a poster)
- Squidward Tentacles
- Patrick Star
- Perch Perkins
- Jimmy Gus
- Nancy Suzy Fish
- Abigail Marge
- Norma Rechid
- Harold "Bill" Reginald
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Phil (yellow)
- Nat Peterson
- Frank (looks a bit different)
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Karen Plankton
- Sandy Cheeks
- Mrs. Puff
- Dennis Rechid
- Billy Fishbowl
- Pearl Krabs
- Debbie Rechid
- Old Man Jenkins
- King Neptune's watch-guards (debut)
- King Neptune's guards (debut)
- Other royals
- Squire (debut)
- King Neptune
- Mindy (debut)
- Royal crown polisher (debut)
- Goofy Goober clock (debut)
- Walter the Waiter (debut)
- Other Goofy Goober customers
- Goofy Goober organist (debut)
- Goofy Goober (debut)
- Popeye and other old cartoon characters (seen on the back wall of the Nut Bar)
- Carriage seahorses
- Clay (possibly Plankton's voice in disguise)
- Floyd and Lloyd (debut)
- Boat jacker (debut)
- Miss Shell
- Dennis (debut)
- General patrons of the Thug Tug (debut)
- Victor (debut)
- DJ (debut)
- Twins (debut)
- Larry the Lobster (cameo)
- Frogfish/Mr. Whiskers/Ice cream stand owner
- Giant Eel (debut)
- Trench Monsters (debut)
- Maximus (debut)
- Cyclops (debut)
- "Alexander Clam Bell" (mentioned) (debut)
- Unnamed pufferfish (debut)
- David Hasselhoff (debut)
- Person on the floating sailboat
- Living toys
- Officer John Slugfish
- Officer Nancy O'Malley
- Sandy Cheeks
A group of pirates get tickets to watch SpongeBob SquarePants The Movie from a treasure chest. The pirates then sing the "SpongeBob SquarePants Theme Song," enter a movie theater, raid it, and sit down to watch the movie.
The movie properly begins with an emergency at the Krusty Krab, complete with police helicopters, large crowds, and news reporters. Suddenly, SpongeBob SquarePants, "the manager," arrives in a sleek, awesome sports car. Mr. Krabs says that it started with a simple order, a Krabby Patty with cheese. "When the customer took a bite, no cheese!" Mr. Krabs starts crying, leading SpongeBob to slap him. He enters the Krusty Krab and meets a fish named Phil. SpongeBob then opens his suitcase, takes out a pair of tweezers, and dramatically puts cheese on the Krabby Patty. The day is saved, and the crowd starts cheering for SpongeBob. Their cheers soon degenerate to the sound of SpongeBob's alarm clock, and he wakes up, revealing the opening scene to be a dream.SpongeBob is extremely excited, as today is the grand opening of the "Krusty Krab 2," and he is confident he will be chosen as the new manager and prepares himself for the day. Patrick Star's rock lifts up, and Patrick congratulates SpongeBob, saying that to celebrate, they are going to go to Goofy Goober's Ice Cream Party Boat after work. SpongeBob and Patrick sing the Goofy Goober theme song, and afterwards, SpongeBob goes off to the Krusty Krab. Plankton envies Mr. Krabs, and states he tried every plan in his cabinet from "A to Y." There are actually 26 letters of the alphabet, and Plankton does not notice it at first, but Karen, his computer wife, tells him. Plankton finds "Plan Z" in the back of the drawer. He thinks it is his best plan yet. He goes outside, only to be stepped on by SpongeBob. He pulls Plankton off his shoe, and asks him if he is going to the 'grand opening ceremony.' Plankton replies, "No, I am not going to the 'grand opening ceremony'! I'm busy planning to rule the world! Ha, ha, ha!" SpongeBob does not understand this, wishes Plankton luck, then runs off again, leaving Plankton to walk away saying, "Stupid kid." Meanwhile, Mr. Krabs is preparing the grand opening ceremony of the Krusty Krab 2, which is an exact replica of the original and is located directly next-door to it, the only difference being a giant glowing "2" on the Krusty Krab sign. SpongeBob rushes up to the stage to accept his promotion, but Mr. Krabs announces that Squidward is the new manager instead, much to SpongeBob's shock. Mr. Krabs tells a heartbroken SpongeBob that he is too immature and childish to handle the task, and SpongeBob sulks away, saying "I'm ready ... depression." Patrick suddenly flies by laughing, naked, with a SpongeBob banner in his bum crack, and crashes into the set, causing a fire.
Later, Plankton flies towards King Neptune's castle, as part of "Plan Z." Inside, Neptune is attempting to punish his royal crown polisher for touching his crown, but his more intelligent daughter, Princess Mindy, stops him. The brutish and tyrannical king tries to explain to his daughter that he must enforce his power as king in order to be respected, and that she will have to do the same when she is Queen. He begins to explain the importance of his crown, and as he talks, Plankton arrives and steals it. Neptune, who is "bald," (but he only has hair on his side) is horrified to discover that his crown is missing, Plankton having stolen it.
Meanwhile, SpongeBob is at Goofy Goober Ice Cream Party Boat brooding over his loss. Patrick arrives thinking SpongeBob is the manager, but he was told the truth about being a kid SpongeBob starts to leave, but then Patrick gets a Triple Gooberberry Sunrise, and SpongeBob comes back. They begin to eat dozens of Surprises burying the waiter in ice cream continuously saying "waiter." The two become "drunk" from all the ice cream, and SpongeBob falls asleep in the restaurant, experiencing hangover-like symptoms the morning afterwards.
Meanwhile, Neptune arrives at the Krusty Krab after receiving evidence planted by Plankton of Mr. Krabs stealing his crown, which is a note, saying, "I stole your crown. Signed, Eugene Krabs." Krabs denies stealing the crown, but a message then plays on the phone of a man thanking Mr. Krabs for giving him the crown and saying that he sold it to Shell City. This call is actually from Plankton. Neptune gets frustrated and plans to burn Mr. Krabs. However, before doing that, Neptune asks if anyone has anything to say to defend Mr. Krabs, and a "drunken" SpongeBob arrives and bad-mouths Mr. Krabs for not giving him the manager job, saying, "I've worked for Mr. Krabs for many years, and always thought he was a great boss. I now realize that he's a great big jerk! I deserved that manager job, but you didn't give it to me because you said I'm a kid! Well, I am 100 percent man, and this man has something to say to you!” He blows a long raspberry and then finishes his statement, “There! I think I made my point!" Neptune burns Mr. Krabs, but Mr. Krabs plunges into a barrel filled with water. Upon realizing the severity of the situation, SpongeBob returns to his normal self and refuses to let Neptune kill him. Neptune then prepares to fry them both, but Mindy convinces her father to give SpongeBob a chance to prove Mr. Krabs' innocence. Neptune orders SpongeBob to be back with his crown in 6 days (it was originally going to be 10 but Patrick appeared out of nowhere and argued it down to 6). SpongeBob and Patrick agree to travel to the dreaded Shell City, and return with the crown, and freezes Krabs right there until the crown is returned. Squidward panics, mostly over his paycheck not being signed. Originally SpongeBob, Patrick, and Squidward go on the trip, but the latter refuses and walked out of the Krusty Krab. Mindy, whom Patrick develops a crush on, gives SpongeBob and Patrick a magical Bag of Winds to return home with and warned about the trip.
With 6 days to retrieve the crown (there were originally 10 until King Neptune and Patrick argued it down to 6), SpongeBob and Patrick take the "Patty Wagon," a car shaped like a Krabby Patty. They soon reach a gas station located on the county line, where the hillbilly owners laugh at them, finding the duo and their vehicle stupid. They tell SpongeBob and Patrick that they would not last for ten seconds over the county line. When SpongeBob and Patrick cross the line, a thug immediately steals their car. SpongeBob and Patrick then realize that they lasted for twelve seconds, and begin laughing at the hillbillies, who are dumbfounded by their idiocy, as they continue on foot. Later, they find their car parked at the "Thug Tug," a bar for tough, muscular fish. SpongeBob has Patrick distract the thugs so he can get the key. (Unfortunately, Patrick just said, "I have to go to the bathroom," making SpongeBob unsuccessful, and getting his hands dirty in the process.) SpongeBob heads for the bathroom and criticizes Patrick for this, as the latter realizes his mistake. SpongeBob then washes his hands, and when he uses the soap dispenser, it produces bubbles. SpongeBob and Patrick begin having a "Bubble Party," but one bubble floats over to the leader of the "Thug Tug," who reminds the other bar patrons of the policy that all "Bubble Blowing Babies" will be severely beaten. The leader goes on a "Bubble Blowing Baby Hunt" by turning on the Goofy Goober Theme song, where the first person to start singing is determined to be the culprit. SpongeBob and Patrick struggle not to start singing, then the owner notices their strain and starts singing it to SpongeBob and Patrick in a mocking tone, causing SpongeBob's eyes to water and Patrick to start melting. Just as they are about to sing, they are saved when Siamese Twins burst out in song. The other thugs begin beating them, allowing SpongeBob and Patrick to steal the key amid the confusion and depart.
By the following day, Plankton, with Mr. Krabs incapacitated, obtains the Krabby Patty secret formula, and begins serving Krabby Patties at the Chum Bucket. He stole the formula by sneaking by Mr. Krabs while he was frozen, going into his office, entering the safe code, and stealing the formula. Plankton starts selling Krabby Patties at the Chum Bucket, along with free bucket helmets. He has also learned about SpongeBob and Patrick are trying to get the crown back and hires a professional mercenary named Dennis to ensure that SpongeBob and Patrick do not reach Shell City. The next day, Squidward sees that everyone is wearing helmet buckets. After a woman tells him that Plankton is giving them away free with the Krabby Patties, he goes to confront Plankton. Squidward figures out that Plankton was the one who stole King Neptune's crown to get the Krabby Patty formula. He decides to report him to King Neptune, but before he leaves the Chum Bucket, Plankton activates a mind-control device, revealing that the bucket helmets are actually mind controlling helmets. Squidward tries to escape, but the enslaved citizens corner and capture him, taking down the last opposition to Plankton in Bikini Bottom and transforms the city into "Planktopolis."
SpongeBob and Patrick are traveling through a field of skulls, laughing over their victory at the Thug Tug. They see an Ice Cream Stand, but when SpongeBob goes to order, the old woman running the stand is revealed as the tongue of a monstrous Frogfish using the Ice Cream Stand as bait. The Frogfish chases the scared fleeing duo, eventually driving off a cliff and getting out of the car just in time. The Frogfish is lured off the edge, and subsequently is eaten by an even larger beast, which is a gigantic sea serpent that appears from the trench. Unable to pass through a monster-filled trench, SpongeBob decides to give up and accepts the fact that he and Patrick are just kids. However, Mindy arrives and shows them what has happened to Bikini Bottom while they were gone, and gives them fake mustaches in the form of seaweed, convincing them that they are now men. SpongeBob and Patrick pass through the trench without fear (singing, "Now That We're Men"), but meet up with Dennis on the other side. He rips off their fake mustaches and explains to them that they are not really men, and prepares to kill them by crushing them under his boot. However, before he can do so, a gigantic boot crushes Dennis, belonging to a monstrous scuba diver known as "The Cyclops," who abducts SpongeBob and Patrick to the surface.
SpongeBob and Patrick wake up in a goldfish bowl filled with freshwater and sedimentary pebbles. They see the Cyclops making "knick-knacks" from "dead" sea creatures, much to their horror, and are soon taken out of the bowl and put on a table under a heat lamp, and start to dry up. Soon, SpongeBob laments that they have failed, and that Bikini Bottom will remain under Plankton's mind control, Mr. Krabs will be executed, and they too will die. Patrick points out a sign reading "Shell City: Marine Gifts and Sundries." SpongeBob realizes that they are in Shell City, which is in fact a gift shop. They see the crown, and SpongeBob then realizes that they did at least make it to Shell City, and did pretty well for "a couple of goofballs." They both shed a tear and begin singing the Goofy Goober song, just as they shrivel up: their faces become smaller, Patrick's body shape gets round bevel edges, and SpongeBob's arms and legs roll up into his sleeves. As they sing the last verse of the song, their faces vanish from their bodies as they become the real-life equivalents of their species, indicating that they have both died. Back in the movie theater, all the pirates mourn the loss of SpongeBob and Patrick, but a talking parrot points out that the movie is not over yet and they continue watching it. The "Tear of the Goofy Goobers" slides down a wire into the power outlet, causing it to short-circuit and let out smoke, which rises up and activates the fire suppression sprinkler system, causing all the sea creatures to reanimate and the table with the lamp to cool off. As the water drips from the system, SpongeBob and Patrick first get saturated colors and then they become cartoon again upon resurrection, which makes the whole audience in the theater cheer. As the sea creatures (which include a mariachi band playing a song from Mexico) beat up "The Cyclops," for killing them, SpongeBob and Patrick grab the crown and carry it out to the beach. There, SpongeBob reads the manual of the Bag of Winds, and Patrick accidentally releases it, leaving them stranded on the beach. However, David Hasselhoff arrives and carries them across the ocean on his back.
On the way back home as they cheered for David Hasselhoff saying nothing will stop them but during the middle of their swim, SpongeBob and Patrick see the big boot belonging to the same diver that kidnapped them and who squished Dennis, rises up sea, and an angry Dennis emerges from below it, intent on finishing the job Plankton gave him and goes after Patrick and SpongeBob with his dagger in hand (much to Hasselhoff's discomfort). He corners SpongeBob, who attempts to reason with Dennis (by bribing him with five Goober dollars); Dennis is uninterested, so SpongeBob proceeded to more offers - including a bubble-blower that sends a stream of bubbles to Dennis's eyes, blinding him and making him even angrier. However, just as he is about to stomp on them with his boot, he ends up being knocked into the ocean by a floating sailboat. As the duo arrive over Bikini Bottom, King Neptune is about to execute Mr. Krabs, but is being "stalled" by Mindy, but Neptune just thinks so. Hasselhoff opens his pectoral muscles, prepares countdown, and shoots the duo down into Bikini Bottom at fast speed, where they crash through the roof of the Krusty Krab 2, the crown deflecting the trident blast that nearly kills Mr. Krabs, and ends up burning Hasselhoff. Unfortunately, that does not stop Plankton, as he dumps a King-sized Chum Bucket Helmet on Neptune, also putting him under his control.
As Plankton's minions surround the heroes, SpongeBob realized that Plankton did not care whether Krabs should be fried or not he just wanted the power of the seas under his control, having used the theft of the crown to lure Neptune into the trap, thus SpongeBob thinks that Plankton cheated. He states to SpongeBob that it is not that he cheated, but that he is an evil genius and SpongeBob is just a kid. When he discovers that Plankton is right, SpongeBob makes a speech about being who you are and how he did things others doubted him on in his journey before transforming into a wizard and breaking out into a bizarre rock version of the Goofy Goober theme song (based on the Twisted Sister's I Wanna Rock). Seeing his moves, Plankton yells for his minions to seize SpongeBob but the latter uses his electric guitar's laser beams to destroy all the brain-control buckets with. Patrick wears fishnets and high heels and helps SpongeBob by dancing along. Plankton yells at Karen to do something, she is too lured by the rock and roll to listen.
Irritated, Plankton tries to command Neptune to stop SpongeBob but SpongeBob quickly destroys his helmet before he can finish speaking. Out of options, Plankton tries to escape but is trampled before he can do so. Then trampled into a shape similar to cookie dough, he gets arrested for the crimes of brainwashing the Bikini Bottom citizens, scapegoating Mr. Krabs, and also for stealing Neptune's crown, and the cops put him in a little cage and take him away as he yells of vengeance . Neptune reaches an understanding not only with Mr. Krabs, but also with his daughter, and thanks SpongeBob and Patrick. He then turns to leave, but Mindy reminds him about Mr. Krabs. He unfreezes Mr. Krabs, turning him into a fat little boy. Neptune then reveals that he had his trident set to "Real Boy Ending." He then turns Mr. Krabs into a crab again and apologizes to him for falsely accusing him, and Mr. Krabs also apologizes to SpongeBob for doubting him. Squidward suggests to SpongeBob that he has learned that he does not really need to be the manager of the Krusty Krab 2, but SpongeBob eagerly takes the position anyway. Images shown throughout the end credits shown the sole two differences between the job of manager and fry-cook is that there is a giant hat with the word manager imprinted on it and an extra cent in his paycheck. Nonetheless, SpongeBob takes on the role of manager of the Krusty Krab 2 with great pride, as the film signifies the conclusion of the franchise's story.
In a post-credits scene, the usher tells the pirates to leave the theater so she can clean up the mess they left.
- Tom Kenny as SpongeBob SquarePants
- Clancy Brown as Eugene H. Krabs
- Rodger Bumpass as Squidward Tentacles
- Bill Fagerbakke as Patrick Star
- Doug Lawrence as Sheldon J. Plankton
- Jill Talley as Karen Plankton
- Carolyn Lawrence as Sandy Cheeks
- Mary Jo Catlett as Mrs. Puff
- Jeffrey Tambor as King Neptune
- Scarlett Johansson as Princess Mindy
- Alec Baldwin as Dennis
- David Hasselhoff as himself
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz [treasure chest]
• SpongeBob SquarePants Theme Song - Derek Drymon, Stephen Hillenburg, Mark Harrison, Blaise Smith [pirates sing this]
‣ Maui Beach - Hans Haider ["Ah, the sea."]
‣ Bob Squad - Tom Rothrock [police outside the Krusty Krab]
‣ Love Elegy - Mike Sunderland [Phil whimpering]
‣ Bob Squad - Tom Rothrock [SpongeBob putting cheese on the Krabby Patty]
‣ Crime International - Graham De Wilde ["Three cheers for the manager!"]
‣ Marching to Honolulu - Kapono Beamer [SpongeBob wakes up]
‣ Hawaiian March - The Waikikis [SpongeBob getting dressed]
• Goofy Goober Song - Eban Schletter, Stephen Hillenburg, Derek Drymon, Tim Hill, Kent Osborne, Paul Tibbitt, Aaron Springer [SpongeBob and Patrick dance to this]
‣ Non Stop - John Malcolm [news report about Krusty Krab 2]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz ["Curses! It's not fair!"]
‣ ? - Plankton imagines the Krabby Patty secret formula
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Z?!"]
‣ Sleazy Sax - Richard Myhill [Plankton looking at Plan Z]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz ["It's evil... it's diabolical... it's lemon-scented!"/"I'm busy planning to rule the world!"]
‣ Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield ["Stupid kid."]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz [grand opening ceremony/Krabs describes the new manager for the Krusty Krab 2]
‣ Pua Paoakalani B - Kapono Beamer, Queen Lili'uokalani ["But... But why?"/SpongeBob being upset that he did not get the job]
‣ Hawaiian Adventures SpongeBob Theme - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Hooray for SpongeBob!"]
‣ Steel Licks - Jeremy Wakefield ["Hello? Where'd everybody go?"]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz [later that evening.../Prisoner is brought to the room]
‣ Airs and Graces (a) - Paddy Kingsland [Neptune lectures Mindy about his crown]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz [Plankton stole Neptune's crown]
‣ Camptown Races - Edwina Travis-Chin [at Goofy Goober's]
• Goofy Goober Song - Eban Schletter, Stephen Hillenburg, Derek Drymon, Tim Hill, Kent Osborne, Paul Tibbitt, Aaron Springer [kids sing along]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob crying]
‣ Piano Presto A - Ted Atking, Alian Feanch [SpongeBob and Patrick eating ice cream]
‣ Too Tired A - Hans Ehrlinger [SpongeBob drunk]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band ["Now pay attention, Squidward."]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz [Neptune arrives/"Stay in the coach, daughter. This won't take long."/"Nay! I'm on to you, Krabs! You have stolen the royal crown, you cannot deny."/"Relinquish the royal crown to me at once!"/Clay's phone call/"Prepare to burn, Krabs."]
‣ Too Tired A - Hans Ehrlinger [drunk SpongeBob arrives/"I deserve that manager's job!"]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz [Krabs on fire/"you... will..."/"I'm flattered you would do this on my account, but being manager isn't worth killing Mr. Krabs over."]
‣ So Tired - Sammy Burdson, John Charles Fiddy [Neptune laughs]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz ["I have a crab to cook."/"I'll have to fry you both!"/Mindy enters the Krusty Krab/Neptune frozens Mr. Krabs/"Come along, Mindy."/Mindy describing the road to Shell City/SpongeBob and Patrick leave the Krusty Krab]
‣ Happy Jose - Ulrich Hans Wenzel [elevator music]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz [The Patty Wagon/Plankton steals the formula]
• Goofy Goober Song - Eban Schletter, Stephen Hillenburg, Derek Drymon, Tim Hill, Kent Osborne, Paul Tibbitt, Aaron Springer [SpongeBob and Patrick approach a gas station]
‣ Kentucky Banjo - Guy Fletcher, Rod Williams [hillbillies laugh]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz ["Shell City?!"]
‣ Kentucky Banjo - Guy Fletcher, Rod Williams [hillbillies laugh again/SpongeBob and Patrick laugh]
‣ Curtain-Raiser - Alan Braden [Krabby Patties at the Chum Bucket]
‣ Emotion 2 - John Fox, Otto Sieben ["He confided in me a secret wish."]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz [Free bucket helmets/"Karen, baby, I haven't felt this giddy since the day you agreed to be my wife."/Dennis introduced]
‣ Drowsy Reef - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob and Patrick getting tired]
‣ You Better Swim - Motorhead [The Thug Tug]
‣ Can Can - Jacques Offenbach, George Wilson [bubble party]
• Goofy Goober Song - Eban Schletter, Stephen Hillenburg, Derek Drymon, Tim Hill, Kent Osborne, Paul Tibbitt, Aaron Springer [baby hunt]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob and Patrick trying not to sing along]
‣ Song Dedicated to the Giant Squid of the World - The Snails [double-baby]
‣ John and Terry - Tim Garland [Squidward riding his bike]
‣ Killer Squad - Simon Benson, Eugenio Grandi ["Chum Bucket? Free? Krabby Patty?"]
‣ Party Time - Keith Mansfield [at the Chum Bucket]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz ["It means you set up Mr. Krabs."/Brain control devices/Customers capture Squidward/SpongeBob and Patrick driving/SpongeBob goes to get ice cream/Ice cream monster/Dennis blows a bubble]
‣ Can Can - Jacques Offenbach, George Wilson [SpongeBob and Patrick's faces appear in the bubble]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob and Patrick still being chased by the ice cream monster]
‣ Steel Licks - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob and Patrick with dumbfounded looks]
• Gregor F. Narholz - "On the other side of this... deep, dark... dangerous..."/SpongeBob says he's going home/Mindy appears/Plankton taking over Bikini Bottom
‣ Renaissance Dance - David Farnon [hair in a can]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz ["It doesn't matter if you're kids."]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill [SpongeBob and Patrick crying]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz [Dennis approaches]
‣ Lonely Heart's Club A - David Bell, Otto Sieben [SpongeBob and Patrick still crying]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz [mermaid magic]
‣ Lonely Heart's Club A - David Bell, Otto Sieben ["Did you hear that, Patrick?"]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz [Mindy puts seaweed on their faces/"Patrick, you have a mustache!"/SpongeBob and Patrick scream/SpongeBob and Patrick land on the ground]
• Now That We're Men - Will Schaefer, Stephen Hillenburg, Derek Drymon, Tim Hill, Kent Osborne, Paul Tibbitt, Aaron Springer [SpongeBob and Patrick sing as they go through the trench]
‣ Fight! Fight! Fight! A - Will Schaefer [background music to "Now That We're Men"]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz [Monsters walk away]
‣ Fight! Fight! Fight! A - Will Schaefer ["Well, Patrick, we should be there in one more verse."]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz ["Finally. I got you right where I want you."/Dennis pulls the seaweed off SpongeBob and Patrick's faces/Dennis about to step on SpongeBob and Patrick/Cyclops kidnaps SpongeBob and Patrick/Knick-knacks/Cyclops puts google eyes on a clam and puts SpongeBob and Patrick under a lamp/SpongeBob and Patrick dehydrating/SpongeBob and Patrick see Neptune's crown at Shell City/SpongeBob and Patrick die/SpongeBob's and Patrick's teardrop rolls down into the electrical outlet]
‣ Build Up - Robert Sharples [SpongeBob and Patrick brought back to life]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz [they try to take the crown/Sea creatures begin to come to life]
‣ Jarabe Tapatio A - Gerhart Frei, Carlos Periguez [mariachi band/Sea creatures beat up the Cyclops]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz [bag of winds]
‣ Stirred Not Shaken! A - Gregor F. Narholz [David Hasselhoff appears]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz [March 14]
‣ Stirred Not Shaken! A - Gregor F. Narholz ["Hooray for Hasselhoff!"]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz [Dennis returns/Neptune about to kill Mr. Krabs]
‣ Say it with a Smile (a) - Dick Stephen Walter [Mindy stalling]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz [fight with Dennis/"See ya."]
‣ Say it with a Smile (a) - Dick Stephen Walter [Mindy still stalling]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz ["I have had enough of this nonsense!"/Hasselhoff arrives at Bikini Atoll/Hasselhoff catapults SpongeBob and Patrick into Bikini Bottom/"Hooray! We made it!"/King-size helmet]
‣ Here I Go Again - David Coverdale, Bernard Marsden [SpongeBob's speech]
• Goofy Goober Rock - Dee Snider, Derek Drymon, Tim Hill, Stephen Hillenburg, Kent Osborne, Aaron Springer, Paul Tibbitt [SpongeBob sings this]
‣ Just a Gigolo/I Ain't Got Nobody - David Lee Roth [SpongeBob scatting]
‣ I'll See You in Hawaii - The Diamond Head Beachcombers ["Well, Mindy, I have to admit you were right."]
• ? - Gregor F. Narholz ["I think I know what it is."]
• Ocean Man - Ween [First credits song]
• SpongeBob and Patrick Confront the Psychic Wall of Energy - The Flaming Lips [Second credits song]
• Just a Kid - Wilco [Third credits song]
• The Best Day Ever - Andy Paley, Tom Kenny [Fourth credits song]
As of August 2014, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 7.0/10 based on 264 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 8.6/10 based on 23 votes. Despite the huge success of this film, the failure of Rugrats Go Wild! (2003) and Hey Arnold! The Movie (2002) prevented anymore Nickelodeon animated feature films from being made until 2010. This movie also received positive reviews in contrast to previous Nickelodeon movies such as Harriet the Spy (1996), Good Burger (1997), The Rugrats Movie (1998) and Clockstoppers (2002), which received mixed to negative reviews.
- The movie is available on The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie DVD, UMD, and Blu-ray release.
- It is also available on VHS, but since the VHS format was discontinued in 2006, this version is now out of print. The VHS version can still be bought used from a thrift store, or from online sites such as Amazon and eBay, although the VHS version on Amazon and eBay can get expensive as of 2018.
- It is also available on The SpongeBob Movie Collection, Blu-ray, Nickelodeon 6-Movie Collection, Really Big Box Set, and SpongeBob StarPants.
- November 19, 2004 (Canada)
- December 3, 2004 (Mexico)
- December 16, 2004 (Chile)
- December 17, 2004 (Brazil)
- December 23, 2004 (Switzerland and Germany)
- December 25, 2004 (Venezuela)
- January 1, 2005 (Colombia)
- January 6, 2005 (Argentina, Australia, and New Zealand)
- January 7, 2005 (Panama)
- January 13, 2005 (Peru)
- January 28, 2005 (Spain)
- February 2, 2005 (Belgium)
- February 3, 2005 (Netherlands)
- February 9, 2005 (France)
- February 11, 2005 (UK and Ireland)
- February 16, 2005 (UAE)
- February 18, 2005 (Norway)
- March 11, 2005 (Austria)
- March 16, 2005 (Kuwait)
- March 17, 2005 (Czech Republic, Austria, and Singapore)
- March 31, 2005 (Georgia, Middle East)
- April 6, 2005 (Philippines)
- April 8, 2005 (Iceland and South Africa)
- April 14, 2005 (Israel)
- April 16, 2005 (Indonesia)
- May 13, 2005 (Turkey)
- June 10, 2005 (Denmark)
- June 26, 2005 (Sweden)
- July 8, 2005 (Finland)
- August 2, 2005 (Hungary)
- September 15, 2005 (Greece)
- September 23, 2005 (Italy)
- September 30, 2005 (South Korea)
- April 22, 2006 (Japan)
- June 20, 2013 (Albania)
- video game based on the original film was released for PlayStation 2, PC, Game Boy Advance, Xbox, and GameCube on October 27, 2004. The home-console version was developed by Heavy Iron Studios, the Game Boy Advance version was developed by WayForward Technologies and was published by THQ. A
- The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water. The film was released on February 6, 2015, over ten years after the first movie's release. On February 28, 2012, Paramount Pictures announced a sequel to The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie. It is officially titled
- In the Ice Cream Dreams storybook, Mr. Krabs, unlike in the movie, does not correct himself after saying "don't you understand-ager?" to Spongebob.
- There are more bubbles in the film than a regular SpongeBob episode. For instance, whenever the characters move or pull something, bubbles appear.
- After the movie was made, Nickelodeon released a special issue of Nickelodeon Magazine about this film. It included interviews with the cast, an article about SpongeBob's origin, Patrick recounting his journey to Shell City, and a comic about Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy trying to stop Plankton during the events of the movie.
- There are 2 online games based on this movie called Bubble Bustin' Game and The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie 3D Game.
- Some footage from the opening scene appears in the second movie's trailer.
- SpongeBob, Patrick, Squidward, Mr. Krabs, Plankton, and Karen are the only characters from the series who play large roles in this movie. Sandy, Mrs. Puff, Pearl, and Gary all have lines as well but do not play a large part.
- Several other characters from the series make non-speaking cameo appearances:
- Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy appear on a poster in SpongeBob's bedroom.
- Several jellyfish appear as part of SpongeBob's bedroom mobile, and one appears on a poster.
- Larry the Lobster gets a small, non-speaking cameo in the Chum Bucket as one of the customers whose bucket helmet becomes a mind control device. He is never seen afterward.
- Many of the Bikini Bottomites, such as Fred and Tom, appear in crowd shots. However, most background characters' color palettes were altered significantly for the film.
- In the book Ice Cream Dreams, it says the grand opening for the Krusty Krab 2 is March 3. However, in this movie, the grand opening is March 7.
- Additionally, the book Bubble Blowers, Beware! changes the rule of the Thug Tug into being laughed at if they blow bubbles rather than being beaten.
- While seasons 1, 2, and 3 were highly praised, the film only received slightly positive reception for critics, although the audience loved it.
- The teaser trailer for the movie was aired during the 2004 Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards.
- In the final fight, SpongeBob isn't seen destroying the control aerial on the Chum Bucket controlling the citizens and is only seen destroying the bucket helmets. However, when Plankton goes to jail and every one is celebrating (even King Neptune), it would have been possible that the control aerial had been destroyed by SpongeBob's guitar.
- In this movie, SpongeBob's voice is changed to a higher pitch for unknown reason, but it might be how older Tom Kenny is getting or the creators wanted his voice to be higher.
- This change even carried on to later episodes, up to season 8.
- Show creator Stephen Hillenburg confirmed that this movie takes place after the TV series. This actually makes sense, because in all of the episodes after the movie (including the second film), SpongeBob isn't the manager, Plankton is still at the Chum Bucket and trying to get the formula, and there is only one Krusty Krab, not two.
- This would explain the 374 consecutive Employee of the Month awards SpongeBob displays to Gary at the start of the movie.
- However, it is quite common for events to considerably change the normal state of affairs during the course of an episode, only for everything to be returned to normal by the start of the next episode, without explanation.
- This would explain the 374 consecutive Employee of the Month awards SpongeBob displays to Gary at the start of the movie.
- Patrick's quote "Have you seen my underwear?" is later reused in the online game Dutchman's Dash.
- The song "The Best Day Ever" heard during the end credits and in the movie's soundtrack would later be used in the episode "Best Day Ever," but shortened.
- The scene where SpongeBob and Patrick, after escaping from Shell City, encounter Sandy on the surface, who here has the appearance of a real-life squirrel, was planned for the film but was cut for time. The animatic for the scene is included as a deleted scene on the DVD. The scene was removed due to the fact that Patrick barfs a lot in it.
- The scene where SpongeBob and Patrick have their mouths wide open became popular on YouTube and a popular internet meme.
- The Surprised Patrick face returns in Scavenger Pants.
- The scene where SpongeBob says "Whoo!" has become a very popular internet meme.
- In other countries such as the Philippines, this movie is rated G. This is because their rating systems think that toilet humor can be suitable for all.
- The series features a totally different King Neptune. Although in "Krusty Towers," Squidward mentions King Neptune XIV, possibly meaning that there are multiple King Neptune's which could explain this inconsistency.
- In a deleted scene, during SpongeBob's awakening in Goofy Goober's Ice Cream Party Boat, he asks for a "double fudge spiny." This rejected line was used in a storybook based on this movie released during the time called Ice Cream Dreams.
- The movie was dedicated in memory of Jule Engel (1909–2003). In September 2003, during production, Engel, Hillenburg's mentor when he studied experimental animation at the California Institute of the Arts, died. Hillenburg dedicated the film to him: "He truly was the most influential artistic person in my life. I consider him my 'Art Dad'."
- The teaser trailer uses footage from submarine films: Das Boot (1981), The Hunt for Red October (1990), and U-571 (2000).
- Elmer's Glue, a real-life glue item, makes a product placement in this movie when the Cyclops is making a shell and when a lobster shoots it at him at the Shell City Gift Shop.
- This is the second time Mrs. Puff and Sandy interact (even though this isn't an episode). The first was "Party Pooper Pants."
- This is the only time that Plankton actually succeeds in stealing the formula.
- Perch Perkins is seen in purple instead of blond.
- SpongeBob says that Patrick was wearing the same 'Goofy Goober' underwear for 3 years straight but at the start of the movie when Patrick is seen he isn't wearing underwear.
- This is the fourth time SpongeBob loses his arm(s). The first time was "I was a Teenage Gary," the second time was "Big Pink Loser," the third time was "Graveyard Shift," the fifth time is "Sing a Song of Patrick," and the sixth time is "SpongeHenge."
- This movie is a movie inside a movie, because the Pirates are watching the SpongeBob movie in an actual theater.
- Plankton getting flattened by the crowd is similar to how Squidward gets trampled by the same crowd in "Squid on Strike." Both scenes involve Sandals stepping on them first, them looking completely flat and filled with footprints, and the crowd running towards the Krusty Krab.
- The Paramount Pictures (closing) logo appeared after the post-credit scene fades to blank. In the original theatrical release of this movie, the MPAA PG screen is shown after the logo fades to blank.
- The Goofy Goober underwear that Patrick wears appears again in "Born to Be Wild."
- This movie reveals that by an unspecified period of time, SpongeBob learns how to drive a stick-shift vehicle.
- During the first half of the closing credits to this movie, SpongeBob's Krusty Krab employee hat appears to be bigger than normal, and it vertically reads "MANAGER."
- In the movie, Plankton is more evil and depraved than he was in the series. While in the series, he was comical, and in episodes after this movie, became less evil (while Mr. Krabs has gotten more greedy and evil), but in the movie, he stole King Neptune's crown, frames Mr. Krabs for it, enslaves Bikini Bottom, shows excitement and joy when Mr. Krabs is going to be executed, and hires Dennis to kill SpongeBob and Patrick rather than merely get rid of them.
- A sequel to this movie was announced on February 28, 2012 and was released on February 6, 2015.
- SpongeBob tells Squidward that his fly is down even though he doesn't wear pants.
- When Patrick and King Neptune argue about how many days they should get for their journey, it is similar to how he and the Flying Dutchman argue about how many wishes SpongeBob and he should get in "Shanghaied."
- Patrick also argued to King Neptune before in "Neptune's Spatula" on how many challenges SpongeBob will have.
- This film is mentioned in the 2012 movie, Piranha 3DD by David Hasselhoff, who guest starred in this film.
- A clip of SpongeBob in the grand opening ceremony from the movie was featured in the 2017 film, Daddy's Home 2.
- This isn't in high definition/widescreen when it was shown on Nickelodeon despite it being HD on other channels. However, when Nickelodeon HD was launched, it reran in HD.
- The movie foreshadows Goofy Goobers, when a toy of the Goofy Goober Peanut is seen in SpongeBob's toy chest near the beginning.
- This movie has a unique animation style in that the characters have distorted-looking looks and bodies and color scheme (for the fish). It will be used again the second film (in Bikini Bottom).
- This movie is one of the few times where Gary speaks. He says "Meow, Plankton."
- The pufferfish in Shell City may be a reference to the episode "Krusty Love," in which Mrs. Puff's husband's horrible fate was being turned into a pufferfish lamp.
- Plankton says that Plan Z is "evil, diabolical, and lemon-scented." This could possibly be a reference to Every Villain is Lemons from The Adventures of Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy.
- When The Adventures of Tintin aired on Nickelodeon on October 14, 2014, it shows the first seconds of the Paramount logo from that movie, before cutting to the normal movie, instead of Tintin.
- This movie was released in Colombia on Doug Lawrence's 36th birthday.
- This movie was released in Australia, New Zealand, and Argentina one year after the release of The Seascape Capers DVD and VHS and And the Winner Is....
- This movie was released in Peru on Charles Nelson Reilly's 74th birthday.
- This movie was released in Spain two years after the release of Tales from the Deep, Bikini Bottom Bash!, and Deep Sea Sillies.
- This movie was released in Belgium one year after They Blow Up So Fast! was released.
- This movie was released in Austria on Johnny Knoxville's 34th birthday.
- This movie was released in South Africa on Biz Markie's 41st birthday and five years after the premiere of "Hooky" and "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy II."
- This movie was released in Indonesia on Billy West's 55th birthday.
- This movie was released in Greece on Amy Poehler's 34th birthday and two years after the Krusty Krab Adventures book was released.
- This movie was released in South Korea two years after the release of Christmas DVD and VHS and Nicktoons Christmas.
- King Neptune was using a paper bag as a crown while he was waiting for his real crown to be delivered to him.
- This film was originally intended to be the series finale, but since Nickelodeon wanted more episodes, the show continued.
- This film was released in between the episodes "Pranks a Lot" and "Fear of a Krabby Patty."
- This is the first SBSP production to be presented in widescreen.
- In Russian version, Plankton's line "Karen?", when he sees Karen in crowd of people wasn't dubbed (Plankton just moves his mouth without saying any word).
- "Rock!", "No!", and "Thanks!" also wasn't dubbed in Russian dub.
- In the Latin Spanish dub, they had the same Spanish dubbing actors from the other characters.
- This movie was the first non-Rugrats movie to have a sequel from Nickelodeon Movies.
- Originally, the ending to the film featured "Mourning Glory" by Ween playing over the credits. When it tested poorly, it was ultimately swapped out for the more popular "Ocean Man".
- The movie contains references to the epic Greek poem "The Odyssey" by Homer, specifically the Bag Of Winds and "The Cyclops" (undersea diver).
- The song "Goofy Goober Rock" is a parody of the song "I Wanna Rock" by Twisted Sister.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick are in the Nut Bar a picture of Popeye, a panel from his comic strip series, and a panel from the comic strip Krazy Kat can be seen framed on the wall behind them.
- When Cyclops is making a knick-knack out of a clam, he names it "Alexander Clam Bell" which is a parody of Alexander Graham Bell with a telephone replica attached. Alexander Graham Bell was the inventor of the telephone.
- The Cyclops is some what similar to Sid Phillips from Disney/Pixar's Toy Story.
- After SpongeBob hops from David's right leg to his left Dennis says: "You got guts kid!" This could a reference to an old Nickelodeon game show called: "Nickelodeon Guts," in which three competitors would go through a series of obstacle courses, and in the end the host would say, "These kids got guts!"
- When SpongeBob and Patrick burp after eating the ice cream, it sounds exactly like the burp of Barney Gumble from FOX's animated TV series The Simpsons.
- In one scene, SpongeBob mistakenly believes he is hired as the new manager of the Krusty Krab 2, while in reality, it was Squidward who was hired as manager. This might be a reference to a scene from the beginning of the 2001 Paramount Picture movie Zoolander, where the main character Derek is under the belief he will win an award, although another character named Hansel receives the reward instead.
- King Neptune, who made his first appearance in "Neptune's Spatula," and his daughter, Mindy, who made her debut appearance in this movie, might be a spoof of King Triton and Ariel from The Little Mermaid.
- The Patty Wagon is a reference to the Burger car from another Paramount and Nickelodeon Movie Good Burger.
- King Neptune trident being accidentally set to "Real Boy Ending" could be reference to the common ending in some stories.
- The Ice Cream Lady's cat "Mr. Whiskers" has the same name as the rabbit "Mr. Whiskers" from Disney Channel's cartoon series Brandy and Mr. Whiskers.
- In one scene, there are 2 fishes head banging to Goofy Goober Rock. They might be a reference to the characters from the 1993 MTV series Beavis and Butt-head because the 2 fishes have the same color scheme as them and the same hair color as them.
- Mr. Krabs says near the end of the movie "I'm going to do something that I should have done 6 days ago." He means 7 because it was the day after when SpongeBob got the 6-day challenge to get the crown.
- When Patrick and SpongeBob are at Goofy Goober's, Patrick never orders a meal, but he is given one.
- It's possible that he pre-ordered it on the phone or came around earlier and told them.
- SpongeBob had his shoes on while he put his pants on, but in the scene before that, he was only wearing his socks.
- The size of the crown changes through most of the movie. When Plankton is carrying it, he is as big as the tip. When SpongeBob attempts to lift it, it looks gigantic compared to him.
- When there's a close-up of the Patty Mobile's pickle-like wheels, they are bumpy. However, in the next scene, they are regular wheels instead.
- When SpongeBob smears Plankton on the ground, Plankton's smear appears, but after SpongeBob picks up Plankton, the green smear disappears.
- When Mindy talks to King Neptune, she has her golden band, however the next scene her golden band disappears.
- During the scene where SpongeBob and Patrick are eating lots of the Triple Gooberberry Sunrises, there are the glass bowls the ice cream came in lying around the bench, but no spoons. The spoons have miraculously disappeared.
- While King Neptune was screaming, the rest of his hair turns into 3 strings of hair.
- Even in Bikini Bottom, kids would not be left alone in a restaurant, that is outside of town, at night.
- When Mr. Krabs is frozen, his position in the restaurant changes through most of the movie.
- Even from the distance Mindy was, she should have seen Patrick's underwear.
- After Patrick tells SpongeBob to be careful while he is fighting Dennis while on Hasselhoff, Dennis's color scheme goes paler for one scene but changes back after SpongeBob looks down.
- Before the execution, Karen is not there, but after SpongeBob and Patrick get to the Krusty Krab 2, she is. It's possible she either went there before SpongeBob and Patrick got to the Krusty Krab 2 or she was already there but she was unseen.
- When Plankton was looking through his binoculars, there were two eyes, with two pupils. This would not be possible, as Plankton has only one eye.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick were eating their Triple Gooberberry Sunrises, pink strawberry (presumably) ice cream was splattered on the waiter, however there was no pink ice cream visible on the sundae.
- There was also a few strawberries that got on the waiter, but there was again no strawberries visible on the ice cream.
- When Mr. Krabs is being interviewed his pants are purple and don't change to blue until the end of the movie.
- When King Neptune is fed up with being stalled from the execution, he tells Mindy to go wait outside, then places a lock on the door. After SpongeBob and Patrick arrive, the lock disappears.
- When King Neptune first enters the Krusty Krab, the clock above the doors is absent.
- The film takes place after every episode of the series. However Plankton states that he never had one customer. In later episodes he actually has customers.
- Patrick asking if they are dead yet.
- SpongeBob being called a "kid."
- Plankton looking at his arms when someone says his arms are stubby.