"The Splinter" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season six. In this episode, SpongeBob gets a splinter at work.
The Krusty Krab opens on a seemingly average morning and SpongeBob is extremely happy. He gets the Krabby Patties ready and soon gets an order of two Krabby Patties plus an insult from Squidward, which is to no effect. His excitement eventually causes him to accidentally throw his spatula into the ceiling and when trying to get it out, he falls, nearly being injured by scissors and swords.
Upon landing, all is well but he trips on tartar sauce. His thumb drags across the wooden floor and rams into a small slab that breaks in half, giving him a splinter that immediately makes his thumb red and swollen. His weak arms keep him from getting it out and even biting it doesn't work. The customer that ordered earlier is turning impatient and the splinter keeps SpongeBob from holding the spatula needed to serve him. He decides to tie it on his nose and Squidward soon finds out about it and tricks SpongeBob.
Squidward then convinces SpongeBob that he will get sent home by Mr. Krabs if he sees the splinter and flushes his hat and spatula down the toilet. SpongeBob begs Squidward not to get him sent home but is unsuccessful. Squidward also hints that he'll tell Mr. Krabs about the splinter. After Squidward gets his full enjoyment about the situation, Mr. Krabs drives a customer away with his cheap behavior.
SpongeBob calls Patrick to get treated for it, who comes in a fake doctor's uniform to cure the splinter. Patrick's 'treatment' only ends up with the splinter further into SpongeBob's thumb, making it swell more and even infecting it. He then acts like as a fake doctor, saying that his 'shift' is over. SpongeBob soon runs into Mr. Krabs and Squidward and tries to hide the splinter from them. When he holds his thumb up, Squidward faints at the disgusting image. Mr. Krabs soon sees the splinter and takes it out easily, curing SpongeBob and causing confetti and a big eruption of pus from his thumb to impact Mr. Krabs, who holds up an umbrella to it.
Squidward then discovers that he could get sent home early and still get paid by getting injured, called worker's compensation. Accordingly, he injures himself with the cash register harshly, only to find out that his shift had ended two minutes ago.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Hawaiian Adventures SpongeBob Theme - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
‣ Sailor's Sting 5 - "Open for business!"
‣ Tripping Upstairs - Brian Peters [SpongeBob enters the kitchen]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Hmm..."]
‣ Comic Walk - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob trying to pull the spatula off the ceiling]
‣ Unknown Track 68 - swords
‣ Comic Walk - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob stills trying to pull the spatula]
‣ Drama Link (g) - Hubert Clifford [SpongeBob falls]
‣ Comic Capers (b) - Charlie Brissette, Norman Mamey ["I guess this is it."]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob stops falling]
‣ Terror by Night - Hubert Clifford [SpongeBob gets a splinter in his thumb]
‣ Rasping Brass - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["Hey, a splinter."]
‣ Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield ["You have got to go...now."]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford [SpongeBob trying to remove the splinter]
‣ Tomfoolery - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob bites the splinter.]
‣ Steel Licks - Jeremy Wakefield ["Okay, fine, stay."]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band [SpongeBob ties the spatula to his nose]
‣ Cockney Capers - Ray Davies ["Can I ask you something?"]
‣ Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob explains how he got the splinter]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr [Squidward gets an idea]
‣ Monocle and Pocket-Watch - Brian Douglas Gulland [Squidward tells SpongeBob he'll get sent home early]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill [SpongeBob cries]
‣ Monocle and Pocket-Watch - Brian Douglas Gulland ["No, no, no, no, no, no..."]
‣ Dramatic Impact 2 - Ivor Slaney ["Well, maybe."]
‣ Monocle and Pocket-Watch - Brian Douglas Gulland ["...because he already knows."]
‣ House of Horror - W. Merrick Farran [SpongeBob screams]
‣ Unease - Dick Stephen Walter ["It's almost as if... he can smell it."]
‣ The Dreadnought Tea Clipper (b) - Tim Laycock, Robert Alexander White [Krabs sniffing around]
‣ Seaweed - Steve Belfer [SpongeBob calls Patrick]
‣ Murder Scene 2 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["We're gonna make it go away."]
‣ Menace [#42] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Patrick pounds the splinter in further]
‣ Dramatic Cue (e) - Ronald Hanmer [SpongeBob's thumb swells up]
‣ Steel Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick smears garbage on it]
‣ Dramatic Cue (e) - Ronald Hanmer [SpongeBob's thumb gets infected]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr [Patrick's watch beeps]
‣ Steel Licks - Jeremy Wakefield ["Call me in the morning, if you can still dial the phone."]
‣ Dramatic Impact 6 - Ivor Slaney [SpongeBob gasps]
‣ Drama Link (c) - Hubert Clifford [SpongeBob's hat covering his thumb]
‣ Voodoo Victim - Gilbert Vinter ["Have you always had three legs?"]
‣ Drama Link (b) - Hubert Clifford [swollen thumb revealed]
‣ Drama Link (f) - Hubert Clifford [Squidward faints]
‣ Unknown Track 40 - Nicolas Carr [Krabs pulls out the splinter]
‣ Unknown Track 45 - Nicolas Carr [choir]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band ["I thought I was gonna have to pay you workman's compersation."]
‣ Tympup (a) - Sammy Burdson, John Charles Fiddy [Squidward's eyes open]
‣ Marlin March - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
- As of May 3, 2017, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 4.4/10 based on 250 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 4.9/10 based on 178 votes.
- When this episode premiered, a re-run of "Suction Cup Symphony" was paired with this episode.
- The premiere of this episode did not feature the episode's credits. Instead, the credits of "Spongicus" and "Suction Cup Symphony" appeared.
- This is the second episode where SpongeBob has something stuck in the kitchen, the first is "Employee of the Month." Ironically, both start at the grill and became stuck on the ceiling.
- This episode marks the second time Patrick impersonates a doctor. The first is in "Suds." At both times, he is confident on how to do his job.
- In "Suction Cup Symphony," SpongeBob would be the doctor instead and Patrick doesn't know this during "The Splinter."
- If one would look closely when the spatula is in the freezer getting the Krabby Patties, there is a frozen caveman.
- This is the second episode where SpongeBob's skeleton is shown despite being an invertebrate. The first is "Squid on Strike."
- This episode premiered three years after the SpongeBob SquarePants 4-D: Ride opened and two years after "All That Glitters" and "Wishing You Well" premiered.
- This is the second episode where Mr. Krabs is seen with an umbrella. This first is "Karate Choppers."
- When Squidward squishes his "hand" together, pretending to crush the customer's head, this is a reference to something people sometimes do when they are bored. It was started by the comedy scout Kids in the Hall, on an episode of a show with the same name.
- According to "You Don't Know Sponge," SpongeBob is ambidextrous, meaning that he can use both hands. If this were the case, he wouldn't need to use his nose to flip his spatula while his right hand had the splinter.
- When Patrick put the garbage compress on SpongeBob's thumb, it turns dark purple and green pus comes out of it. However, when SpongeBob later shows Mr. Krabs and Squidward his thumb, it is red.
- When SpongeBob opens the box he took out from his pants, it is halfly in the table, but there clearly isn't a hole there before he puts the box down.
- The kitchen ceiling suddenly becomes much higher when SpongeBob realizes his spatula is stuck in it.
- At first, SpongeBob makes two Krabby Patties but in a later scene, they disappear.
- At first, when Patrick changes, his mouth turns brown. It changes to red in the next shot.
- When Patrick puts SpongeBob's foot in his mouth, one can see his shoe and sock is removed. When the scene cuts back to SpongeBob and Patrick, the sock is still on his foot, and when Patrick removes the foot from his mouth, the shoe is also on.
- Spongebob puts the open box full of ingredients on the grill, but when he looks at the Krabby Patty, its gone.