"The Sewers of Bikini Bottom" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season nine. In this episode, after accidentally flushing Mr. Krabs' safe, SpongeBob and Squidward must go into the sewers to find it. Meanwhile, Mr. Krabs visits a new stadium, which is having plumbing issues.
The episode opens at the Krusty Krab, where SpongeBob and Squidward are working and Mr. Krabs comes to tell them that Bikini Bottom's newest stadium will be named after the Krusty Krab. He then tells them that employees have to stay at the restaurant to continue working. Mr. Krabs puts Squidward in charge of the Krusty Krab while he is gone and as he leaves.
SpongeBob wakes up a sleeping Squidward, asking for jobs to do. Squidward tries to find some work, but notices SpongeBob has done most of them already. Squidward then has SpongeBob clean some more but he does all of the work in seconds. Squidward, after running out of ideas, tasks SpongeBob to flush things down the toilet, so SpongeBob goes into the bathroom to do so. Squidward realizes his mistake and tries to stop SpongeBob. Before, SpongeBob flushes a mop down the toilet and Squidward finds it exciting. He and SpongeBob then flush various objects down the toilet but are horrified after accidentally flushing down Mr. Krabs' safe, which contains the Krabby Patty secret formula. SpongeBob decides to flush himself to go and get it and Squidward, realizing he needs SpongeBob to cook the Krabby Patties for the customers, follows SpongeBob down the toilet.
At the Krusty Krab Stadium, Mr. Krabs is talking to Crupski and Charlton Hawkfish about Mr. Krabs buying the stadium. Customers outside are complaining about the plumbing and Charlton is angered to not only see that the pipes have a reducer in it, but are also made out of cardboard. Charlton worries that the pipes won't hold but Crupski says it's a way to save money much to the delight of Mr. Krabs. Meanwhile, SpongeBob and Squidward make it to the sewers where they begin their search for the safe. They manage to spot the safe where it gets stuck in the pipes. As Squidward tries to reach for it, the safe gets unstuck and floats away. Squidward fails to grab it again and a couple of lampreys bite at his hands. SpongeBob helps get the lampreys off and spots the safe floating in the distance. SpongeBob and Squidward go after it once more and, suddenly, a large sewer snake emerges from the water.
Back at the stadium, Charlton warns Mr. Krabs and Crupski that it's time for the "halftime wave," where every toilet flushes at once. Mr. Krabs ignores this and continues to watch the game. Back in the sewers, SpongeBob and Squidward are running away from the sewer snake but end up running inside of it instead. Squidward, afraid, starts to run around frantically and SpongeBob spots the safe nearby trying to inform Squidward of it. Eventually, the sewer snake vomits up SpongeBob, Squidward, and the safe where it lands on Squidward's head. Meanwhile, everyone at the Krusty Krab Stadium starts to use the restrooms where Charlton warns that the pipes are going to burst. However, the pipes do burst and large amounts of water pour inside of the stadium. Charlton dives underwater and activates his fail safe which is a giant plunger that plunges away all of the water. Charlton blames Mr. Krabs and Crupski's cheapness for causing the problems and the sewer snake rises above in the stadium.
However, Charlton uses his nose to pop the sewer snake and it goes back into the sewers. SpongeBob and Squidward end up back in the Krusty Krab in the safe where they are ready to get back to work. However, the customers all run out screaming.
Vincent Waller confirmed the episode on Twitter on September 17, 2015.
‣ Unknown Track 79
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
- Title card.
‣ The Great White - Gregor F. Narholz [Opening credits.]
‣ Daily Chores Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Opening at the Krusty Krab]
‣ Buckle Down March - Sam Spence ["The Krusty Krab Stadium! Wow!"]
‣ Variety Link (d) - Dick Walter ["Hooray for Mr. Krabs!"]
‣ Short Military Bridge - Nicolas Carr [Krabs leaves]
‣ Solo Steel 4 - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward sleeping]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [Squidward wakes up]
‣ A Fishy Conversation - Barry Anthony [Squidward tells SpongeBob to clean everything one more time/Squidward orders SpongeBob to flush things down the toilet.]
‣ Harpsichord Classical Bits - Barry Anthony ["I hear and obey, my liege."]
‣ Lap Steel Lullabye - Nicolas Carr [Squidward goes back to sleep]
‣ Prologue of a Drama #9 - Hans Conzelmann, Delle Haensch ["What have I done?!"]
‣ Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Flushing things down the toilet]
‣ Tragic Bridge 4 - Phil Green [SpongeBob and Squidward panic]
‣ A Hero's Story (a) - Gregor Narholz [SpongeBob flushes himself down the toilet]
‣ Down in Davy Jones' Locker - Nicolas Carr ["I flushed SpongeBob down the toilet"]
‣ Terror - Alan Braden [Customers scream and run out]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (k) - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward looks at the toilet.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (f) - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward flushes himself down the toilet]
‣ American Military Parade - Gerhard Trede [At the stadium]
‣ Acquital - David Lindup [Charlton examines sewer blueprints]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks - Jeremy Wakefield ["That's what my grandma's dentures are made of."]
‣ Rescue - Cecil Milner [Squidward falling down the drain]
‣ Unknown Track 23 - "SpongeBob, are you down here?"
‣ Planet Surface - Gregor Narholz [SpongeBob and Squidward exploring the sewers]
‣ ? - Kaz Prapuolenis, Nicolas Carr [Cha-cha music]
‣ Planet Surface - Gregor Narholz [SpongeBob and Squidward continue exploring the sewers]
‣ ? - Kaz Prapuolenis, Nicolas Carr [Cha-cha music]
‣ Planet Surface - Gregor Narholz [Squidward tries to take Krabs' safe.]
‣ Slide Whistle Song - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Lampreys on Squidward's arms]
‣ ? [SpongeBob sings "Oh, sole mio."]
‣ Slide Whistle Song - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob and Squidward ride through the sewers in a barrel.]
‣ King Kong Coming - Gregor Narholz [Bubbling]
‣ The Creature (a) - Gregor Narholz ["Sewer snake!"]
‣ Fight for Ol'Schaefer U. - Will Schaefer [back at the stadium]
‣ Winds of War [#8] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["The halftime wave, man!"]
‣ The Creature (a) - Gregor Narholz [Snake chasing SpongeBob and Squidward]
‣ High Hazard - Philippe Pares [Sewer snake diagram]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (k) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob's to do list]
‣ Sponge Monger - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward panics]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [Safe hits Squidward]
‣ Fight for Ol'Schaefer U. - Will Schaefer [Halftime]
‣ Battle Zone - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Everyone goes to the bathroom]
‣ Bloodbath - Harry Lubin [Charlton pulls fail-safe switch]
‣ Battle March Link (f) - Keith Mansfield [Charlton climbs out of the sewer]
‣ At the Ready - Harry Edwards [Charlton's speech]
‣ Unknown Track 79 - Sewer snake appears
‣ Sylvia - Cortege de Bacchus - Leo Delibes [Charlton fights sewer snake]
‣ House of Horror - William Farran [Ending]
- As of September 27, 2016, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 7.8/10 based on 120 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 6.0/10 based on 35 votes.
- This episode premiered 12 years after Friends Forever was released, ten years after "Have You Seen This Snail?" premiered, five years after "The Great Patty Caper" premiered, four years after "A SquarePants Family Vacation" premiered, and two years after "SpongeBob You're Fired" premiered.
- This was the first episode Kaz wrote since "I Had an Accident" and his first credited episode since "SpongeBob Meets the Strangler."
- This was also the first episode that Dave Cunningham was officially credited for working on as storyboard supervisor.
- The things on SpongeBob's "To do" list are:
- Have tea with Squidward
10 500 chocolate bars
Digested by Sewer Snake
- Wear tux to breakfast
- Take road trip to moon
- Learn the Cha Cha (√)
- Wear all my socks
- Camping with Sandy
- Some of the things on SpongeBob's list reference five things:
- Eating 500 chocolate bars references "Chocolate with Nuts."
- The check mark next to "Learn the Cha Cha" references the scene in this episode where SpongeBob was doing his "Sewer Sewer Cha Cha."
- "Camping With Sandy" references "To Save a Squirrel."
- "Take road trip to the moon" references both "Sandy's Rocket" and "Mooncation."
- "Have Tea With Squidward" references "Not Normal," when Squidward and SpongeBob have tea.
- The list says "camping with Sandy," which means this episode took place after "Tea at the Treedome."
- Things that were flushed down the toilet:
- A mop
- Rolls of toilet paper
- A batch of Krabby Patties
- A toaster with toasts
- A photo of Mr. Krabs
- An armchair
- A trash can
- A clock
- Two barrels
- An anchor
- Safe with Krabby Patty secret formula
- This is one of the few episodes without bubble transitions, the others being "Reef Blower," "The Camping Episode," "Squidtastic Voyage," and "Driven to Tears."
- This was the last episode to premiere in 2015.
- This was the last episode to premiere before the November 2015 Paris attacks.
- This episode takes place after "Skill Crane" because Squidward mentions the teddy bear that he obtained in that episode.
- The snake in the sewers of Bikini Bottom could be a nod to the urban legend of alligators living in sewers.
- This episode doesn't air in the Middle East except Turkey. Instead, its sister episode, "Patrick! The Game," airs with "Patrick-Man!"
- The title card is mistakenly skipped in French airings of this episode.
- In the opening credits, Lynne Naylor is misspelled as Lynn Naylor.
- Squidward comments that he flushed SpongeBob down the toilet. However, SpongeBob flushed himself down the toilet.
- It is seen that Squidward and SpongeBob threw things down the toilet and flushed them. One of the things is the cash register, yet in later footage, it's still at the boat counter.
- When SpongeBob and Squidward are in the bathroom, there's only one toilet, while there's usually three.
- When Charlton says there's only five minutes until halftime, the TV clearly says there's 10:42 left. The score and time on the scoreboard and TV are also inconsistent throughout the entire episode.
- When the stadium first gets flooded, one can clearly see the grandstands are full of people when all of them left to use the bathroom. This error is fixed in the next shot when the football players are running away from the flooding.
- In the credits, "SpongeBob's shoe" is misspelled as "SpongBob's shoe."
- In the last shot, where everyone is fleeing from the Krusty Krab, neither SpongeBob nor Squidward are visible inside. The Galley Grub and Order Here signs are also missing throughout the entire episode.
- In several scenes, SpongeBob's arms are much longer than usual.
- Charlton only says he designed every cesspit in the stadium, so Mr. Krabs should've been fine with shaking his hand.
- When Charlton, Crupski, and Mr. Krabs watch the fish talk through the window, Crupski's eyebrows are smaller and thinner than usual.
- When Charlton first unrolls the map, there are no markings or writing anywhere on it. Later on, when Mr. Krabs is talking about the Bikini Bottomites, the map is only a grid with no drawings on it.
- The flags on the wall near the TV's in the Krusty Krab Stadium continuously change size and distance from each other.
- The safe shouldn't have fit in the toilet, seeing as the safe is a lot bigger than the toilet itself.
- When Charlton pulls himself out of the hole the flooding caused, there are more people shown on the field than there was in the far shot of the field. Also, when Charlton's talking, the fish in the grandstands have no pupils in their eyeballs.
- When Charlton confronts Crupski and Mr. Krabs on the field, there are suddenly no fish that appear in the grandstands. This error occurs for the remainder of the episode.
- On both shots of the outside of the Krusty Krab, there is a fish on the inside whose pupils are facing the ceiling and the ground. There's also more people who appear in the Krusty Krab than there is on the outside shot of it.