"The Pink Purloiner" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season four. In this episode, SpongeBob accuses Patrick of stealing his jellyfishing net.
During the annual jellyfish migration, SpongeBob and Patrick go to Jellyfish Fields to see several rare and exotic species of jellyfish. The two begin jellyfishing, with SpongeBob using Ol' Reliable. At the end of the day, SpongeBob was very successful while Patrick was unable to catch anything. SpongeBob boasts the superiority of his net to Patrick, who says "I would kill for a net like that! (You know, something small, like a carrot)." The following morning, SpongeBob finds Ol' Reliable missing and begins panicking, posting missing jellyfish-net posters all over town with a promise of a reward, even interrupting the local news to announce this.
SpongeBob is unsuccessful in his search and gives up on finding Ol' Reliable. That night, he sees Patrick happily playing with his jellyfishing net before he goes to bed, and when SpongeBob realizes that Patrick's net disintegrated yesterday, he believes that Patrick has stolen Ol' Reliable. The following morning, SpongeBob gives Patrick a Confess-a-Bear (which he made himself) to try to make Patrick confess that he took the missing net. Patrick does not mention this--but does say he knocked SpongeBob's toothbrush into his toilet and put it back on the counter without washing it, stopping the conversation and making a horrified SpongeBob rub his tongue in disgust. Later on, SpongeBob goes to Patrick's rock to talk and sees Patrick's shadow with a net. But Patrick still shows no sign of the net.
The next day, SpongeBob pretends to go to work, but actually spies on Patrick for eight hours, but he sees nothing but Patrick standing still. He eventually sees Patrick carrying a box and uses a false mustache to disguise himself as a man who is interested in purchasing what is inside the box for $1 billion. Patrick says he would not sell it for any price because it is his friend SpongeBob's... and SpongeBob stops him right there, finally believing it was Patrick while taking off his mustache. Since Patrick didn't realize it was him in disguise, SpongeBob points this out to him. Patrick questions his reasons for it as SpongeBob accuses him of stealing his net as Patrick defends himself as his friend but SpongeBob insults him and brings up his earlier sentence. Patrick then finishes that sentence, saying "...gift." To his great surprise, it is revealed that the box contains a net built by Patrick for SpongeBob to replace Ol' Reliable with. SpongeBob is torn between gratitude for Patrick's generosity and guilt for accusing his friend falsely.
Patrick gets upset at SpongeBob for ever suspecting him, and prepares to leave Bikini Bottom. The bus arrives, and Patrick is about to climb aboard when SpongeBob grabs hold of him, begging his friend not to go while pleading earnestly for Patrick's forgiveness. The bus driver demands to know what the hold-up is, and when he sees that it is SpongeBob and Patrick, he gives SpongeBob Ol' Reliable, saying he left the net on the bus (as he does every week).
To make up for his accusations against Patrick, SpongeBob gives Ol' Reliable to his friend. Patrick is utterly overwhelmed by this gesture, and immediately decides to forgive SpongeBob for his thoughtlessness, and stay in Bikini Bottom after all. Everyone on the bus cheers, much to the chagrin of the bus driver, who claims that the two do this kind of thing all the time. SpongeBob and Patrick then run off to Jellyfish Fields together to enjoy their new nets during the last days of the jellyfish migration.
‣ Happy Sponge Chase Vibes
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
- Nicolas Carr [title card]
‣ Blue Danube - Fiachra Trench, Johann Strauss Sr [SpongeBob and Patrick jellyfishing]
‣ On the Beach - Kapono Beamer [Patrick's net disintegrates]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob's net is missing]
‣ Dramatic Cue (a) - Ronald Hanmer [SpongeBob screams]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [one pair of pants later]
‣ Dramatic Cue (e) - Ronald Hanmer ["Patrick, Ol' Reliable's been stolen!"]
‣ Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield ["I'm all done."]
‣ Bikini Bottom News Theme - Nicolas Carr [news on TV]
‣ Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Attention, Bikini Bottom! My jellyfishing net has been stolen!"]
‣ Keel Row - Brian Peters ["I am prepared to offer a large reward for its safe return."]
‣ Steel Sting (h) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Guys, I know it's a slow news day, but come on."]
‣ Tomfoolery - David Snell [Patrick calling SpongeBob]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob looks outside]
‣ Steel Licks (d) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Patrick's lucky."]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob's eyes open]
‣ Goofy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [the next morning]
‣ Toy Piano - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Confess-a-Bear]
‣ House of Horror - W. Merrick Farran [SpongeBob screaming]
‣ Toy Piano - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["You're mad at me, aren't you, Confess-a-Bear?"]
‣ Steel Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield [later]
‣ Terror by Night - Hubert Clifford ["I'm not decent! The house is a mess! There's a radiation leak!"]
‣ Seaweed - Steve Belfer [Patrick is nervous]
‣ Spongeburglar - Nicolas Carr ["Patrick wouldn't steal Ol' Reliable... would he?"]
‣ Against the Law (c) - Wilfred William Burns ["I would kill for a net like that."]
‣ Closing the Door - Nicolas Carr ["I must know for sure."]
‣ Spindlelegs - Cedric King-Palmer ["Good morning, Patrick."]
‣ Mission Improbable - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [eight hours later]
‣ Goofy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["What are you doing?"]
‣ Mission Improbable - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["You're acting weird."]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr ["Okay, bye!"]
‣ The King's Codpiece - Paddy Kingsland [SpongeBob with a fake mustache]
‣ Tales from the Swamp (c) - Ron Goodwin ["Aha!"]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer ["Patrick, I'm the scary mustache guy!"]
‣ Hawaiian Flower - Jon Jelmer [Patrick made SpongeBob a new net]
‣ Fates [#61] - Gregor F. Narholz [Patrick's about to leave]
‣ Parting of the Clouds - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob left his net on the bus]
‣ Whisper from the Past [#64] - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob gives his net to Patrick]
‣ Romeo & Juliet Overture - Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky, Fiachra Trench [SpongeBob and Patrick hug]
‣ Wahini Wobble - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
- As of May 3, 2017, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 7.3/10 based on 157 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 8.2/10 based on 126 votes.
- One Pair of Pants Later
- Eight Hours Later
- This episode aired in Germany on December 9, 2006, before it aired in the USA.
- This is one of the episodes that aired on the "Patrick for President" marathon, along with "Driven to Tears," "Rule of Dumb," "The Gift of Gum," "Rise and Shine," "Waiting," and "Sing a Song of Patrick."
- The jellyfish on the title card have no spots.
- Ol' Reliable was previously used as the name of SpongeBob's jellyfish net in "Nature Pants." However, that was a traditional bamboo net, whereas the one shown in this episode has more advanced technology built into it, not unlike SpongeBob's new net (not given any special name) in the episode "Best Day Ever."
- This is the first episode to show Patrick's house with stairs.
- It is revealed in this episode that Patrick can stand in the same spot for eight hours straight.
- SpongeBob is never shown leaving Ol' Reliable on the bus.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick are heading home, SpongeBob does not have his net with him, which hints that he left it on the bus.
- It is revealed SpongeBob leaves Ol' reliable on the bus every week either purposely or by accident.
- This episode was released on the Season 4 Volume 2 DVD box set, before it aired on TV in the USA.
- The title is a reference to The Pink Panther.
- The Confess-A-Bear is likely a reference to the meme called Confession Bear, which has a picture of a Malaysian sun bear on a log and supposedly confessing something.
- SpongeBob's line "Come here you big lug!" is a reference to the 2006 DreamWorks film Over the Hedge.
- The line where Patrick confesses to having dropped his toothbrush in the toilet may be a reference to a line from the Seinfeld episode "The Pothole," where Jerry says "I bruised my lip. I was drinking a Cel-ray, and I brought it up too fast and I banged it on my lip, and then I knocked your toothbrush into the toilet and I wasn't able to tell you before you could use it."
- When SpongeBob catches a swarm of the rare jellyfish, they turn into a normal run-of-the-mill jellyfish when they are in the net.
- When SpongeBob catches a jellyfish while doing a flip, the actual net is not attached to Ol' Reliable's ring. The end of the net itself is off-screen as if the net continued motion without SpongeBob or Ol' Reliable.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick arrive home and the former opens his door, there is a duplicate door behind it.
- While SpongeBob spies on Patrick having fun with a net, he views Patrick's house from an impossible angle, because Squidward's house is directly between their houses, which is shown in the view of all the houses from the rear side.
- The hinge on Patrick's house is in a different position when SpongeBob first sees him with a new net than when he confronts him with a mustache.
- When SpongeBob picks up Patrick's jellyfish net that Patrick made for him, SpongeBob's top left hole is outlined with black for a split second.
- When Patrick holds SpongeBob's new net and says "Gift," his freckles are not colored in.
- After the bus takes off at the end, one of the passengers' faces changes color.