"The Nitwitting" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season twelve. In this episode, Patrick inducts SpongeBob into his prestigious society of dullards and doofuses.
The episode starts at the Barg'N-Mart, where the announcer there says there is a SpongeBob is in aisle 6. This makes everyone scream and run away from SpongeBob and Patrick, who come out of the aisle, with the former with a blindfold in front of his eyes and Patrick on top of him. They exit from the back of the store and then land on area with a lot of boxes. SpongeBob asks Patrick why he had to wear a blindfold, and Patrick says it was so that he wouldn't get anything in his eyes, and then he shows his eyes to show him. SpongeBob gets disgusted by them.
Patrick then goes to his club and tells SpongeBob about the empty head society. SpongeBob decides to join and goes in. However, Patrick says he needs to use the automatic door mat, and he uses a stick to draw a rectangle for SpongeBob and himself to step on and go inside the box. Inside the box is the members of the empty head society, doing their own thing. SpongeBob and Patrick wait in line at the check-in station to take out their brains and give them to the guy there. They are then given a fez to wear. Sheldon then approaches them and Patrick does the empty head handshake with him.
One of the club members than looks at a clock and drops a cinderblock on himself to signal that a meeting is gonna start. Everyone then rushes to the meeting area. The ice cream king comes up on the stage and gets the secretary to read the minutes. His secretary comes out of the ice cream kind's belly and then reads off a Kelpo cereal box. Then the ice cream king kicks the secretary and then asks if there are any new initiates in the club. Patrick tells SpongeBob that since he is new, he has to go up on the stage. SpongeBob comes up, but the ice cream king is suspicious. However, SpongeBob slamming himself into a plank of wood makes the ice cream king convinced and gives him a badge.
The ice cream king then says that it is time to pass the jar, and then some of the empty heads pour their saliva into a jar. Then they give it to SpongeBob to drink out of it, which he does, but everyone gets grossed out by it. The ice cream king then shows him the thing he was supposed to drink, which was the lemonade, but gives him another badge because he thought of SpongeBob's action as dopey. He then tells everyone that they'll now be helping Bikini Bottom by doing their civic duty there. SpongeBob doesn't understand, but Patrick tells him they call it "The Nitwitting." Then the empty heads sing "The Nitwitting Song" and then go to Bikini Bottom to do their civic duty.
When the empty heads reach there, everyone gets scared and hide. They start messing up Bikini Bottom instead of helping it. Patrick is then seen breaking parking meters and SpongeBob replacing them with bowls of soup. SpongeBob thinks he and his club are confused of what civic duty is, but Patrick says it's about using your patootie. Patrick and SpongeBob are then seen in front of a trash can, with Patrick wondering why people put their trash in those cans. SpongeBob says that maybe their pockets were full, but the ice cream king comes and thinks of SpongeBob as not as brainless as the rest of them. SpongeBob then gets sad and goes away, saying "well, bye, buddy." Patrick thinks his name is buddy after SpongeBob said it though, and then he and the ice cream king smash their heads into each other while having garbage cans on their heads.
SpongeBob is then seen walking down the sidewalk, with his head short-circuiting. SpongeBob realizes he's lost, but says he's still got brain stem and that he'll figure it out. However, the brain stem rots and he becomes full on stupid. SpongeBob, stupidly, thinks he'll find out how to get back by going backwards, but doesn't work. He then tries asking a lady for directions, but he scares her. SpongeBob is later seen in a dark alley, going to a chair. However, he can't even sit on the chair because of his stupidity. Charlie then appears, saying SpongeBob is not the "sharpest tool in the shed."
Patrick comes to SpongeBob with a jar of brains, and SpongeBob puts them in him to try and find his brain. SpongeBob eventually finds his brain, but he still can't function right. Patrick asks him to say "I'm ready" but SpongeBob says different phrases. Eventually, SpongeBob says the right one, and decides that he'll fix Bikini Bottom. However, when he comes out of the dark alley, he realizes that it has already been cleaned. He sees a still messy area, and he bumps into Sandy. SpongeBob is glad Sandy cleaned everything up, and then she says that she belongs in a group called F.E.M.A. and asks SpongeBob if he'd like to join. However, SpongeBob denies, saying he needs brain vacation. However, Sandy sees the empty heads rolling into the area, and the two hide in the trash can. The empty heads sing "The Nitwitting Song" once again, with Patrick riding his vehicle into the screen, breaking it.
The episode was confirmed by Vincent Waller on November 12, 2018.
• The Nitwitting Song
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
- Kaz Prapuolenis, Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Title card]
‣ Shop-O-Rama - Nicolas Carr, Fabian Fernandez [Opening at Barg'N-Mart]
‣ Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob and Patrick riding on a unicycle through Barg'N-Mart]
‣ Seaweed - Steve Belfer ["I still don't understand why you had me wear a blindfold."]
‣ Danse Comique - Kenny Graham [Patrick tells SpongeBob about his club]
‣ Comikarama - Dennis Farnon [SpongeBob and Patrick enter at the clubhouse]
‣ Corny Playoff - Wally Asp [Ice Cream King walks up to the stage]
‣ Mr Wobbly - Norman Dane [Ice Cream King's secretary reads the minutes]
‣ Fight! Fight! Fight! A - Will Schaefer [Ice Cream King kicks his secretary off the stage]
‣ Slap and Tickle - Roger Roger [SpongeBob walks up to the stage]
‣ ? - "It's time to pass the jar!"
‣ Zoom D - Dick De Benedictis [Club members spitting in the jar]
‣ Evil Mind 4 - Dick De Benedictis [Club members spitting in the jar]
‣ Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob drinks disgustingly the jar of saliva.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (f) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob burps]
‣ Flash Harry - Dick Walter [SpongeBob wins another badge]
‣ Proud to be a Hillbilly - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["It's now time to go out in the community and help the citizens of Bikini Bottom by doing our civic duty. Whatever that means."]
• The Nitwitting Song - Kaz Prapuolenis, Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Club members sing this]
‣ Ride of the Valkyries - Richard Wagner [All of club members riding on mini boats through Bikini Bottom]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (z) - Jeremy Wakefield [At bowling alley]
‣ Greenhorn Rag - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Club members doing "civic duty" through Bikini Bottom]
‣ Charge - Nicolas Carr [Patrick hits parking meter with baseball bat]
‣ Jubilee Sports - Dennis Berry, Stuart Crombie [SpongeBob replacing destroyed parking meters with soup bowls]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (s) - Jeremy Wakefield [Charlie throws a penny into the bowl of soup]
‣ Slippery Sid - Roger Roger [Patrick puts a garbage can over his head]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (h) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I guess I'm just not Empty Head material."]
‣ Slippery Sid - Roger Roger ["My name's Buddy now?"]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer [SpongeBob's head short-circuits]
‣ Shock - Cornelus Joh Bolten [SpongeBob's face begins to deform]
‣ Pig and Whistle - Paul Gerard [SpongeBob becomes brainless]
‣ Gorgeous Girl - Kurt Schick [SpongeBob talking to a lady]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [Lady hits SpongeBob with her purse and run away]
‣ Blue Tide - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob walks into an alley and tries to sit down on a chair]
‣ Danse Comique - Kenny Graham ["Obviously not the sharpest tool in the... tool thing."]
‣ Stupid Plan - Steve Belfer [Patrick gives SpongeBob his brain back]
‣ Unknown Track 37 - Nicolas Carr ["I'm ready! I'm ready!"]
‣ Unknown Track 1 - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob decides to repair all the damage made during the Nitwitting]
‣ Jovial Jack - Philippe Pares ["Hey, you'd better hurry because you're getting smaller!"]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (XII) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob runs out of the alley]
‣ Fraidy Cat - Fredric Bayco [SpongeBob sees everything in Bikini Bottom has back to normal]
‣ Alekoki - Kapono Beamer [Sandy cleaned everything up in Bikini Bottom]
‣ ? [Club members riding on mini boats again]
• The Nitwitting Song - Kaz Prapuolenis, Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Club members sing this again]
- As of January 18, 2019, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 6.1/10 based on 8 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 0.0/10 based on 0 votes.
- This episode was originally titled "Village Idiots."
- This is the first episode to premiere in 2019.
- This is the first episode to premiere after Stephen Hillenburg's death.
- This is the Ice Cream King's second appearance after "Patrick's Coupon."
- Many of the graffiti seen in the alley are references.
- Graffiti of DoodleBob appears on the corner of a building.
- A graffiti of Man Ray appears on the wall.
- Man Ray appears similarly to Kilroy.
- The "Squidward Smells" graffiti from the Krusty Krab dumpster in "Sailor Mouth" and "Mall Girl Pearl" reappears.
- "I'M DIRTY DAN" is shown, but it is spelled as "I'M DIRTY DAH."
- Other graffiti tags include "KRABS," "Chum Bucket
4 Life STINKS!", "MY LEG" and "Man Ray was Here."
- A Kelp Shake from "Best Frenemies" returns in this episode.
- When this episode premiered, it was paired with a rerun of "FarmerBob."
- The scene where a fish puts a coin in a bowl of soup is a reference to the end of "Married to Money."
- The title card music is the same as the Laurel and Hardy theme.
- Gorgeous Girl plays for the first time since "Goodbye Krabby Patty?"
- The titular location from "Larry's Gym" returns except it's now a generic gym and the anchor on the sign is gone.
- The Snail-Po truck from "Have You Seen This Snail?" and "The Getaway" returns.
- This is the second episode where a bus full of anchovies appears, the first being "Help Wanted."
- The tow truck from "Hall Monitor" can be seen at the crossing when SpongeBob sees that the mess is cleaned up.
- At the crossing where the shark draws smiles on the lights, the garbage truck and one of the trash inspectors from "Sanitation Insanity" can be seen.
- Howard Blandy is revealed to be a member of the Empty Head Society.
- This episode reveals that Patrick and Sandy are in clubs. Patrick being in the Empty Head Society and Sandy being in F.E.M.A..
- This is the second episode to show a character being a part of a society. The first was Squidward in "Cephalopod Lodge."
- This is currently the second least-watched episode in the series with 1.05 million behind "ChefBob" with 1.04 million.
- The F.E.M.A. acronym could be a reference to FEMA, or the Federal Emergency Management Agency in the United States.
- The Man Ray graffiti is a reference to the famous Kilroy was here graffiti.
- This is the series' second reference to Kilroy. The first was in "Teacher's Pests."
- Dave Cunningham is credited as Supervising director when it's actually Adam Paloian.
- SpongeBob is a darker shade of yellow when he gets out the saliva jar.