- Monroe Timmy
- Taylor Fishbowl
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Other Sun-N-Fun Island campers
- Patrick Star
- Counselor Kraus (debut)
- Barney (debut)
- Prison Warden (debut)
- French Narrator
- Matty Mollusk (name on role call list)
- Billy Blenny (name on role call list)
- Percy Perch (name on role call list)
- Tom Tarpon (name on role call list)
- Lois Flatfish (name on role call list)
While waiting at the Bikini Bottom Dock & Shipyard, SpongeBob prepares for summer camp at Sun Fun Island. All of a sudden, Patrick comes running to SpongeBob mentioning to him that he never told Patrick that he was leaving. They both were crying and hugging each other as the other campers went to Sun Fun Island and the Inferno Island boat appears. SpongeBob planned Patrick to come to camp with him not knowing they are going to prison camp. SpongeBob did not know about the camp so well, he thought Sun Fun Island was boring.
The warden greeted the prisoners to Infernal Island, but got assaulted through the sound of cheering from SpongeBob and Patrick. The warden even got annoyed when SpongeBob whispered to Patrick that he felt like eating him (not literally). Patrick felt kind of hungry when the warden mentioned it and he gave SpongeBob and Patrick tires to eat. The warden and the others were assumed about both of them eating the tires. The warden had SpongeBob and Patrick digest the tires in a low, narrow hole with chum buried on top of them.
Three days later, the warden lets SpongeBob and Patrick out of the hole, but they did not felt punished since they thought it was an enjoyable soap. The warden felt so ashamed that he made the activities very boring and difficult. Apparently, SpongeBob and Patrick thought that the "Coal Breaking" activity was fun and challenging even though they were wearing heavy ankle weights.
SpongeBob comes to the conclusion that Patrick and him are having more fun than the other prisoners. Patrick suggests that they do a fun activity altogether, then they would be having the same amount of fun as each other. This hatches an idea in SpongeBob's brain, so he works on a play all night. The warden finds the script and in the morning yells at the prisoners to find out which one of them wrote the paper. SpongeBob speaks out and says it was a play for "amusement and inspiration."
SpongeBob builds a boat for the play to take place in. One of the prisoners notices that they could use the boat to escape. After the play, the prisoners attempt to escape from the island, until they realize that the boat is just a prop and is not real, leading them to sink. The prisoners swim back to the island, and the warden is now furious. Suddenly, the Counselor of SpongeBob's camp comes to Infernal Island, to retrieve SpongeBob, who was absent from his camp. The prisoners, seeing their chance, all say that they are SpongeBob so they can be taken to Sun Fun Island. The warden asks the counselor what kind of activities they do at his Sun-N-Fun Island. The counselor says that they make macaroni art, sing campfire songs, and help and support each other. So, at the end, the inmates, prisoners, and SpongeBob and Patrick make macaroni art. Patrick confesses that he likes the other island better and so does SpongeBob.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Cream Pie - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
‣ Queen's Aloha Oe (c) - Kapono Beamer, Queen Lili'uokalani [opening]
‣ Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["SpongeBob! SpongeBob!"]
‣ Whisper from the Past [#64] - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob and Patrick crying]
◦ Sun Fun Island - Aaron Springer, Eban Schletter [campers sing as they board the boat]
‣ Slave Caravan 1 - Gregor F. Narholz [prison boat appears]
‣ Steel Licks (d) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob decides to bring Patrick with him to summer camp]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [transition to next scene]
‣ Goofy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["This stuff is just my carry-on."]
‣ Slave Caravan 2 - Gregor F. Narholz [boat leaves dock]
◦ Sun Fun Island - Aaron Springer, Eban Schletter [campers singing]
‣ Mounting the Scaffold 1 - Gregor F. Narholz [exterior of Inferno Island]
‣ Death March - Eric Allen ["Could that have been an unrequested sound off?"]
‣ Tympup (a) - Sammy Burdson, John Charles Fiddy ["Holy fish paste!"]
‣ Unknown Track 29 - "We got ourselves a couple of rabble-rousers!"
‣ Steel Sting (h) - Jeremy Wakefield ["The food coma is setting in."]
‣ Mounting the Scaffold 1 - Gregor F. Narholz ["Did you say a nap?!"]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob, Patrick smile]
‣ Beheading of the King - Laurie Johnson [the hole]
‣ The Horror Never Ends 60 - Gregor F. Narholz [chum poured in]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr [3 days later]
‣ Unknown Track 29 - "All right, let 'em out."
‣ Wooden Bear - Gil Flat, Tony Tape, Florian Voelxen [SpongeBob and Patrick ate all the chum]
‣ Steel Licks (d) - Jeremy Wakefield [prisoners coughing]
‣ Slave Caravan 2 - Gregor F. Narholz [breaking rocks]
‣ Alekoki - Kapono Beamer ["What's wrong, SpongeBob?"]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr [Spongebob gets an idea]
‣ Worker's Symphony - Hans May [SpongeBob typing]
‣ Unknown Track 29 - "Rise and shine!"
‣ Dress Rehearsal [#4] - Harry Bluestone [SpongeBob and Patrick building a boat]
‣ Slinky Panther Pants - Nicolas Carr [prisoners plan to escape]
‣ Vaudeville Knees Up [#40] - Harry Bluestone [opening night]
◦ Together - Chris Reccardi, Tuck Tucker, Eban Schletter [prisoners sing this]
‣ Gala Premiere - Laurie Johnson [after the play]
‣ Dramatic Cue (g) - Ronald Hanmer [prisoners escape on the boat]
‣ Legends of the Silver Screen - Cedric King-Palmer [curtain comes back up]
‣ Dramatic Cue (a) - Ronald Hanmer [warden sees prisoners escaping]
‣ Steel Licks - Jeremy Wakefield [The boat sinks completely.]
‣ Circus Flourish (a) - Daniel Jean Jeannin [SpongeBob and Patrick bow]
‣ Unknown Track 29 - "I'm stumped."
‣ Drama Link (g) - Hubert Clifford [camp counselor arrives]
‣ Goofy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [counselor explains]
‣ Parting of the Clouds - Nicolas Carr ["...and we help and support each other."]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford ["STOP!"]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr [warden gets an idea]
‣ Tentically Speaking - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob's Pest of the West, Season 5 Volume 2, Complete Fifth Season, and First 100 Episodes DVDs.
- As of August 17, 2016, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 7.7/10 based on 128 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 8.2/10 based on 119 votes.
- This episode was set to premiere with "The Two Faces of Squidward," but aired with "To Save a Squirrel" instead.
- The title card background for this episode is similar to that of "Skill Crane."
- List of campers:
- Mattie Mollusk (on Kraus' list)
- Billy Belenny (on Kraus' list)
- Percy Perch (on Kraus' list)
- Tom Tarpon (on Kraus' list)
- Lois Flatfish (on Kraus' list)
- Monroe Timmy (waiting on dock)
- Four other campers
- R. Lee Ermey, the portrayer of the Warden, in fact used to be in the military, just like his character.
- The other campers do not react when they are holding the chum, but when Patrick breathes, they do react to it.
- Ironically, it took many days for the Sun-N-Fun Island councillors to notice that SpongeBob was missing.
- This is the second episode to have a drill sergeant-type character. The first is Sergeant Sam Roderick from "Mrs. Puff, You're Fired."
- This is the fourth episode where a real language is mentioned, which is English. Italian is mentioned "Wormy" at first. The second instance is in "Christmas Who?," where Portuguese is mentioned, and the third instance is in "New Student Starfish," where Spanish is mentioned.
- Also, French is referenced in "Gary Takes a Bath."
- This is the sixth episode in which, at no point, SpongeBob wears his normal clothes. The first is "Ripped Pants." The second is "Walking Small." The third is "The Fry Cook Games." The fourth is "SpongeGuard on Duty." The fifth is "Mermaid Man vs. SpongeBob."
- The episode's title is a reference to Don Henley's song "The Boys of Summer" or "The Inmates of Alcatraz."
- Inferno Island is based off Alcatraz.
- The Warden is a parody of Gunnery Sargent Hartman from the classic Stanley Kubrick film Full Metal Jacket.
- The Warden is voiced by R. Lee Ermey, the same actor who played Gunnery Sargent Hartman in Full Metal Jacket (Ermey's portrait of Hartman has been parodied in popular culture).
- The Warden is similar to the Warden in the novel and its movie adaptation Holes.
- The plot is similar to the Animaniacs episode "Boot Camping" where the Warners mistake a basic training camp for Summer Camp.
- The guitar Patrick is seen playing resembles a Paul Gibson Flying "V."
- In some recent airings of this episode, it skips the title card and goes to the opening credits.
- The quarter that SpongeBob tips to the Warden falls on the ground. Then, when the Warden boaows the coffin into the water, the quarter is missing.
- SpongeBob's paint brush is lime green, but there is no green paint on the boat.