- Squidward Tentacles
- Patrick Star
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Fredrick T. Nitpick (debut)
- Ted (name revealed)
- Abigail Marge
- Frankie Billy
- Harold "Bill" Reginald
- Jimmy Gus
- Norma Rechid
- Paco (cameo)
- Thaddeus (cameo)
- Medley Fishbowl
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Nathiel Waters
- Frank the Lifeguard
- Jennifer Millie
- Nancy Suzy Fish
- Nat Peterson
- Martha Smith
- Frank the Red-Shirt-Wearing Fish
- Debbie Rechid
- Tina Fran
The episode starts at Squidward's house. Squidward is shown pushing what appears to be a sculpture with a sheet over it into his yard. Then, Patrick and SpongeBob call to him and ask if he wants to join them in making arts and crafts. He solemnly says, "No" and tells them that he is a true artist and has a hat to prove it. SpongeBob said he weaved a basket, a wallet and money. Patrick was trying to weave a basket but fails (due to the fact that he kept hammering his finished piece). Squidward walks away bitterly and Patrick becomes upset that he can't make art like SpongeBob and Squidward. SpongeBob shows Patrick how to make a rock with googly eyes on it. Patrick repeats this process and SpongeBob is very impressed (though his rock had googly eyes all over it instead of two normal eyes.) Squidward insults their artwork and soon after an art critic visits and judges Squidward's work (which was a statue of himself). The art critic says that it is hideous and confiscates Squidward's hat. Then, the art critic judges SpongeBob's art and says it is lame. He then judges Patrick's art and mentions how it was so wonderful and creative. He gives him $50 and Squidward's hat for it. Squidward is angry at this and repeatedly says over and over "I bet he won't sell another" until SpongeBob stops him. After Patrick sold 4 more rocks Squidward states that he actually would prefer to go to work and both SpongeBob and Squidward leave to go to the Krusty Krab.
Meanwhile, Patrick's artwork becomes so famous that he runs out of rocks, so he tries to find something else to make art with. First, he paints a beautiful scenery of the night sky and says it is lame. Then, he sculpts a man sitting down, thinking and says that it stinks. Patrick goes to the Krusty Krab since it is his lunch time and he orders art advice. Squidward complains it wasn't on the menu until Patrick points out that it is: Mr. Krabs has put it on the menu for $25. Mr. Krabs tells Squidward to give Patrick art advice. But Squidward doesn't want to give advice to the artist who upstaged him and only tells him to concentrate on his patty. This gives Patrick the idea to put googly eyes on the patty. His Googly Patty gets famous once the art critic mentions that it is the next big thing. Everyone rushes to the Krusty Krab to get one. When Mr. Krabs hears the sound of cha-ching, he rushes to the cash register and finds no money. He is surprised until he looks up and sees customers pay Patrick for Patties. He then sees SpongeBob sending Krabby Patties out to Patrick. He pulls SpongeBob and Patrick into his office and demands an explanation and, to his fury, learns that Patrick is buying Krabby Patties for $3 for his googly art which he then sells for $50. Squidward sneers at them for getting into trouble, but Patrick explains that he was following Squidward's advice. Hearing this, Mr. Krabs realized this is all Squidward's doing and gets very angry at him. So, Mr. Krabs put good use to Squidward to punish him and get money.
Now, Krabby Patties are sold at $50. The fish who buys the patty said it was not expensive. Then, the fish went to Patrick's stall. Patrick calls his apprentice, which is really Squidward. Squidward adds glue on the fish's patty and Patrick says that Squidward could be an artist one day. Squidward then bursts into tears as the episode ends.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Coconut Cream Pie - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
‣ Cartoon Sting 3 - "It's a great day for the art world."
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer [arts and crafts]
‣ Steel Sting (j) - Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick cries]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Now let me see."]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob gets an idea]
‣ Befuddled - Pat Irwin [rock with googly eyes]
‣ Deadline - Sam Spence ["I shall make the attempt."]
‣ Befuddled - Pat Irwin ["Privacy, please."]
‣ Fanfare (b) - Nicolas Carr ["I've done it!"]
‣ ? [rock covered in glue and googly eyes]
‣ Bumbling (b) - Bernd Gesell [art critic arrives]
‣ Circus Parade (a) - Dick Stephen Walter [Venus de Squidward]
‣ Clumsy (a) - Bernd Gesell [critic praises Patrick's "art"]
‣ Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield ["Well, about, um..."]
‣ Cartoon Sting 9 - Patrick selling more "art"
‣ Seaweed - Steve Belfer [line of people at Patrick's house]
‣ Armed Attack - Jean Clero ["I'm all out of rocks!"]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr [Patrick gets an idea]
‣ Unknown Track 33 - Patrick throws paint on a canvas
‣ Solid Brass 16 A - Marcin Pospieszalski ["Tartar sauce!"]
‣ Unknown Track 33 - Patrick makes a sculpture
‣ Glorious Fin 08 C Maj - Marcin Pospieszalski ["That stinks too!"]
‣ Glissando Hit 09 C Maj - Marcin Pospieszalski [Patrick's stomach growls]
‣ Sailor's Sting 10 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Patrick goes to the Krusty Krab]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [Krabs adds "artistic advice" to the menu]
‣ Steel Sting (a) - Jeremy Wakefield ["You can borrow mine."]
‣ Sailor's Sting 9 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Make yourself comfortable, Mr. Patrick."]
‣ Steel Licks - Jeremy Wakefield ["Why don't you just concentrate on your patty?"]
‣ Glorious Fin 08 F#Maj - Marcin Pospieszalski ["I know now what I must do!"]
‣ Busy Finale 07 B Maj - Marcin Pospieszalski [Patrick puts googly eyes on the Krabby Patty]
‣ Fanfare (b) - Nicolas Carr [Krabby Patty with googly eyes]
‣ Film Fanfare (a) - Dick Stephen Walter [art critic pays Patrick]
‣ Curtain-Raiser - Alan Braden [crowd rushes in]
‣ Sailor's Sting 3 - "Ooh, money!"
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr [empty cash register]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford [Krabs gasps]
‣ Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["SpongeBob! Patrick!"]
‣ Danger Sign - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["It's my art."]
‣ Steel Licks (d) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I was just following your advice."]
‣ Peg Leg Waltz - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton [ending]
- This episode is available on the Sweet and Sour Squid, SpongeBob and Friends: Patrick SquarePants, and Complete Eighth Season DVDs.
- As of September 30, 2017, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 6.5/10 based on 68 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 8.8/10 based on 69 votes.
- The rock that SpongeBob makes resembles Pete from the episode "Sentimental Sponge," except Pete's eyes weren't googly eyes.
- This episode premiered on Robin Williams' 60th birthday and two years after the To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants DVD was released.
- In the Croatian dub, the episode's title is "Nepoznati Umjetnik," which translates to "The Unknown Artist."
- The googly rock may be a parody of the pet rock, which was just a rock sold at a high price with the gimmick of being a pet. Likewise, in the episode, people shell out vast sums of money for rocks just because they have googly eyes glued onto them.
- The statue Squidward does is similar to the famous statue Venus de Milo. Also, in the Latin Spanish version, Squidward calls the statue "Venus de Calamardo," which means "Venus de Squidward" in Spanish.
- The painting that Patrick creates is Starry Night by Vincent van Gogh, and the statue he made is The Thinker by Auguste Rodin.
- Comcast cable providers list this episode as, "The Googly Artist."
- While Harold says he's so eccentric, Norma's facial features are seen slightly detached from her face (seen right).
- When Patrick looks at the Krusty Krab menu, Krabby Patty is misspelled as "Krabby Pattie." This error also happens in "Séance Shméance."
- In the overview of the crowd Archie is shown ahead of Norma but when it cuts to the front of the line, Archie is gone