The Curse of Bikini Bottom is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season seven. In this episode, the Flying Dutchman turns SpongeBob and Patrick into ghosts.
SpongeBob and Patrick are lying around, bored. So they sneak into Squidward's shed, and find his lawn mower. But then, they notice Squidward coming in, so they hide on the tool wall. Of course Squidward sees them, and SpongeBob explains to Squidward that they want to play with "that thingy" over there. Squidward says it's his lawn mower, and then he's about to yell, but he comes up with the thought that the two would get shaved in and get killed. So Squidward pulls the cord, and SpongeBob and Patrick ride it. But eventually the two get out of control, and they end up in the cemetery. They don't care about this.
The Flying Dutchman is trying to pick out a shirt for his date, and finally finds one. But then, the two run over the grave, and dirt gets all over the Dutchman's shirt. He comes up, only to get his beard shaved off by the mower. The Dutchman gets mad, so he stops SpongeBob and Patrick and starts yelling at them. Then SpongeBob explains they don't know what it's like to be a ghost. So Dutchy turns them into ghosts.
The two fly over to Squidward's, and they try to scare Squidward, but they only get sprayed by his hose. So the bubble fade comes to night, and SpongeBob picks up his key, but it falls through him. He leans on the door, but he falls through. So SpongeBob goes through the walls and doors to get to his bedroom. When he lays down, he falls through many walls, and eventually ends up underground.
The next morning, it reveals that both didn't get enough sleep, as Patrick could see through his eyelids. So SpongeBob goes to the Krusty Krab for work, and goes to the kitchen. He picks up his spatula, but like his house key, it falls through. SpongeBob then breaks it, and its ghost comes out. But when he flips patties, they fall through his spatula. He tries this over and over, but no patty is made. He goes through the door, crying. Patrick has problems, too. He explains that the food goes right through him, and Mr. Krabs and Squidward get grossed out. Then, the customers notice the two, and they run off screaming thinking they were mermaids. So SpongeBob and Patrick become upset, so they go to the cemetery to visit the Dutchman.
When they get there, they plead the Dutchman to turn them back to normal, so he does, but does not succeed. The Dutchman says the curse will not wear off until his beard grows back for his date, so SpongeBob and Patrick decide to give him a "makeover". At the end, SpongeBob replaces Dutchy's beard, and the "Several Months Later" card comes. The two are eventually normal, lying around, bored again, but then the Dutchman comes and tells them the date wants to marry him. Then popping out of the horizon of the background, is a giant, grotesque, hideous monster, which is apparently the Dutchman's date and causes the Dutchman to scream and run away.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Gothic Adventure - Mark Cousins, Adam Saunders [title card]
‣ ? [opening]
• You're Nice - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Let's go look for something to do in Squidward's shed!"]
‣ Goofy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob and Patrick enter the shed]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford [Squidward screams]
• Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["You want to play with my lawnmower?"]
‣ Happy Boy - Jack Shaindlin [start of Squidward's daydream]
• ? - Ron Wasserman [end of Squidward's daydream]
‣ Chase Cue 1 - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob, Patrick playing with Squidward's lawnmower]
‣ ? [pan down to Flying Dutchman's lair]
‣ Spanish Ladies (b) - Robin Jeffrey, Tim Laycock [Dutchman getting dressed]
• Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr [Dutchman hears SpongeBob, Patrick]
‣ Chase Cue 2 - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob, Patrick still playing with the lawnmower]
‣ Malleus Mallificarum (a) - Dave Hewson [Dutchman gets angry]
• ? - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Dutchman's beard shaved off]
‣ Drama Link (b) - Hubert Clifford [Dutchman looks in a mirror]
‣ Frankenstein's Niece A - Gregor F. Narholz ["Who dares disturb the Flying Dutchman?!"]
‣ The Beast Within - Paddy Kingsland ["You morons cut off my beard!"]
‣ Finger of Suspicion 2 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Dutchman turns SpongeBob and Patrick into ghosts]
‣ Day of Reckoning - Andrew James Blaney ["You're having too much fun."]
• ? - Jeremy Wakefield ["Yay!"]
‣ Haunted House - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [SpongeBob and Patrick trying to scare Squidward]
• ? - Jeremy Wakefield ["I knew I shouldn't have lent them my lawnmower."]
‣ ? [that night]
‣ Alien Abduction - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [SpongeBob floats underground]
‣ Horror Chords (b) - Paddy Kingsland [Patrick's transparent eyelids]
• ? - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob goes to work]
‣ Evil Alien Attack 1 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [customer runs out screaming]
• ? - Nicolas Carr ["What happened to your legs?"]
• ? - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob trying to cook Krabby Patties]
• ? - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob cries]
• ? - Nicolas Carr ["Yeah, let's go see the Flying Dutchman."]
• Botany Bay - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["At least I still have my personality."]
‣ Epic Tragedy - Gerhard Trede ["Change us back! Change us back!"]
‣ Quizzical Bridge 6 - Harry Bluestone [Squidward drinking tea]
‣ Day of Reckoning - Andrew James Blaney ["I'll lift the curse from you."]
• Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield ["Hey, we're still ghosts."]
‣ The Dreadnought Tea Clipper (b) - Tim Laycock, Robert Alexander White ["The curse will wear off when my beard grows back."]
‣ ? [SpongeBob and Patrick get an idea]
‣ Co Co Baby A - Gil Flat ["Makeover!"]
‣ The Drunken Sailor - ? [SpongeBob and Patrick giving the Dutchman a makeover]
• ? - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Dutchman's "new beard"]
‣ ? [several months later]
‣ Spanish Ladies (b) - Robin Jeffrey, Tim Laycock ["I can't do it."]
‣ Straight from Hell - Gregor F. Narholz [ending]
- The title card is the same as Gone, only with different sand ground.
- SpongeBob breaks his spatula, and its "ghost" comes out. Objects like a spatula don't have spirits, but it does seem alive, as seen in All That Glitters.
- On January 29, 2011, this episode aired after Trenchbillies.
- This was the first episode to premiere after Nickelodeon's 2009 logo change.
- When the Flying Dutchman says "At least I still have my personality", it mirrors a scene in Pre-Hibernation Week where a fish says the same quote after having his face burnt to a crisp.
- There are many errors that show ghosts being hit. When a person is a ghost, stuff goes through them. This is supported by:
- A lawn mower shaved the Flying Dutchman's beard off even though he is a ghost, it would just go through him.
- When Squidward sprays ghost SpongeBob and Patrick, the water hits them like it would do if they weren't ghosts.
- When the Flying Dutchman comes out of the ground, he has dirt on him. The dirt would immediately go through him.
- Patrick holds a Krabby Patty in his hand. Immediately after, when he eats the Krabby Patty, it goes straight through his body.
- When Squidward was in his shed with SpongeBob and Patrick he has yellow teeth in one scene.
- The Flying Dutchman said that it takes a thousand years to grow his beard back, but several months later, he is shown to fully grown it back.
- A spatula does not have a ghost, as it is an inaimate object.