"The Check-Up" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season eleven. In this episode, Mr. Krabs is too afraid of his medical examination, but if he fails it, the Krusty Krab will get closed.
The episode opens at the Krusty Krab with SpongeBob inside of a curtain, with a lady who turns out to be a nurse. She tells SpongeBob to stop moving, but he tells her that he has never had a checkup before. After she passes him, she checks Squidward. SpongeBob tells Mr. Krabs not to be scared, but Krabs still is despite what the nurse says. Squidward then screams at the nurse when he is forced to urinate. She looks at him, but he asks for privacy. She passes Squidward and then calls Mr. Krabs. Krabs runs away and the nurse tells Squidward and SpongeBob that if they do not check Mr. Krabs, the Krusty Krab will be closed. SpongeBob comes up with an idea. He tells the nurse that he and Squidward will finish his checkup themselves during the weekend. The nurse approves and leaves.
As a first attempt, SpongeBob and Squidward begin their quest by hiding in a box that says "Free Money Inside." Krabs, who can't resist, tries to move his hand in there. As Squidward and SpongeBob's first job is to pinch Mr. Krabs, they do so, crushing and breaking his claws. They then disguise as employees at a shop to fool Mr. Krabs into taking the reflexes part of the test. Krabs leaves in anger when he finds out that the "employees" are abusing him rather than giving him the correct suit. SpongeBob then opens a photo booth to take an X-ray of Mr. Krabs. When Krabs enters, Squidward asks how many X-rays he took and SpongeBob tells him 25,000, but Squidward says the list only said to do one. Mr. Krabs comes out all mutated and walks away.
As Mr. Krabs is complaining about his day. SpongeBob, unknown to Krabs, comes out of a massage parlor and asks if he wants a massage. Krabs agrees and they go inside. SpongeBob sets a trap which throws Mr. Krabs in the freezer. Squidward then tells SpongeBob that he had to measure Mr. Krabs' cold temperature to compare if it is the same to the water around him, not freeze him to death.
Mr. Krabs comes out of the freezer and SpongeBob tells him that he can work out to pass his physical throughout the weekend. SpongeBob then breaks the ice with a mallet, but Mr. Krabs' shell cracks and his teeth fall out. In which, he then starts crying. During the weekend, Mr. Krabs is unable to do any of the workouts, which results in cracking his shell once again. SpongeBob and Squidward fear that the nurse will close down the Krusty Krab for sure, now that Mr. Krabs looks more terrible than before. However, Krabs tells them that he has a plan.
The nurse comes back and tells "Mr. Krabs" that he passed and she adds that he also looks handsome. She then leaves stating she will be back next year. Larry, who was the one impersonating Mr. Krabs, says he wants money because he helped the real Krabs, but Mr. Krabs quickly escapes as the episode comes to an end.
This episode was confirmed by Vincent Waller on May 24, 2017.
‣ Cream Pie
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
- Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Title card]
‣ Cartoon Sting 7 - "What do you think the nurse is doing to him in there?"
‣ Dramatic Encounter - Gregor F. Narholz [Silhouettes of SpongeBob and the nurse.]
‣ Spongey Bubbles - Steve Belfer [The nurse tries to test SpongeBob's reflexes/"Ah... You seem fine... physically, at least."]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (x) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Wow! Imagine if it was this easy to get your boating license!"]
‣ The Fruitcake Vendor - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [SpongeBob describes his checkup to Mr. Krabs.]
‣ Stupid Plan - Steve Belfer [Squidward gives the nurse an ink sample.]
‣ Dramatic Cue (c) - Ronald Hanmer [Krabs hides in his office.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (e) - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward laughs.]
‣ Wargames Linking Section (g) - Keith Mansfield ["Every employee must get their checkup or the restaurant will be closed under orders of Bikini Bottom Better Business Bureau."]
‣ Unknown Track 45 - Nicolas Carr ["Everybody wins!"]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [Nurse takes Squidward's money.]
‣ Cartoon Sting 4 - SpongeBob and Squidward waiting Mr. Krabs behind a building.
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Free money, eh?"]
‣ Cartoon Sting 5 - SpongeBob trying to do the the pinch test on Mr. Krabs/Squidward's nose gets grabbed by Mr. Krabs' claw.
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr ["... Mr. Krabs himself!"]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford [SpongeBob makes Krabs pinch himself.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (h) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Me achin' pinchers!"/"Pinch test failed."]
‣ Lazybones - Xavier Edmunds, Zoltan Biscotti [Eyestalk test at tailor shop.]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Transition to next scene.]
‣ Unknown Track 17 - SpongeBob disguised convincing Mr. Krabs to use the photo booth.
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Well, I am very photogen-eric."]
‣ Zoom (d) - Dick de Benedictis [X-rays of Krabs.]
‣ Evil Mind 4 - Dick de Benedictis [X-rays of Krabs.]
‣ Alien Spacecraft (a) - Gregor F. Narholz [Krabs exits the photo booth.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (r) - Jeremy Wakefield [Transition to next scene.]
‣ Unknown Track 58 - SpongeBob appears disguised as a hippie.
‣ Battle at Sea - Johnny Pearson [Krabs launched into freezer.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (m) - Jeremy Wakefield ["SpongeBob, you moron!"]
‣ Cartoon Sting 7 - Krabs frozen.
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (j) - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs cries.]
‣ Surf Happy Fun (Underscore) - Billy Lincoln [Krabs doing exercise at Mussel Beach.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (h) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I don't know what we did wrong, Squidward!"]
‣ Dirgey - Nicolas Carr, Steve Marston ["I guess that nurse is gonna close the Krusty Krab after all."]
‣ The Drunken Sailor - Krabs says he has a plan.
‣ Lite Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Nurse returns to the Krusty Krab.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (d) - Jeremy Wakefield [Larry pretending to be Mr. Krabs.]
‣ Sailor's Sting 23 - "Whoo-hoo! We did it, boys! The Krusty Krab lives to see another day!"
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [Krabs disappears.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (v) - Jeremy Wakefield [The ending]
- As of February 8, 2018, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 9.5/10 based on 173 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 9.0/10 based on 3 votes.
- This is Goo Lagoon's first appearance since "Squid Plus One" from season 9.
- The text design on the title card is similar to that of "Model Sponge."
- Mr. Krabs mentions his underwear being on fire when he is having his X-rays. This is a reference to his quote "Me underwear's on fire!" from The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie.
- This is the second time Mr. Krabs is seen lifting weights, the first being in "Larry's Gym."
- This is the fifth episode where Mr. Krabs is seen without his shell.
- This episode marks the second time SpongeBob wears a kelp mustache, the first being The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie.
- This is one of the few episodes in which the Krabby Patty secret formula appears, but Plankton does not.
- This episode marks the fifth time Squidward has ink, the previous four being "Giant Squidward," The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water, "Mutiny on the Krusty," and "Krusty Katering."
- This episode premiered four years after "Little Yellow Book" and "Bumper to Bumper" premiered in Greece, three years after "Krusty Towers" and "Mrs. Puff, You're Fired" premiered in Poland, two years after The Adventures of SpongeBob SquarePants was released in Australia, and one year after "SpongeBob LongPants" and "Larry's Gym" premiered in Canada and "Patrick! The Game" premiered in Poland.
- The dash between Check and Up could be a reference to a check as in money, due to this episode mainly being focused on Mr. Krabs.
- When Mr. Krabs is seen eating his arms in fear, it is a reference to when SpongeBob does the same in "Graveyard Shift" when Squidward is telling the story of the hash-slinging slasher.
- This is the first episode where Larry the Lobster works at the Krusty Krab. This later becomes a plot element of "Larry the Floor Manager."
- This episode was confirmed exactly a month before it aired.
- One of the photos seen on the sign for SpongeBob and Squidward's photo booth is a parody of the American Gothic.
- When Squidward is doing his "ink test" (using a plastic container to store ink in this case), and says that he wants "a little privacy," this shows that the "ink test" is similar to a real-life urine test.
- At one point, Spongebob tells Squidward that he is going to make Mr. Krabs an "offer he can’t resist." This is a reference to the quote "I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse" from The Godfather.
- On DirecTV, this episode is listed in Season 10, Episode 10, instead of Season 11, Episode 2. Its sister episode, "Spot Returns," shares this trait.
- The nurse says that every Krusty Krab employee must have their checkup when Mr. Krabs refuses. However, Mr. Krabs does not technically count as an employee, as he is the founder and boss of the Krusty Krab.
- When SpongeBob says "It's your turn, Mr. K!" his eyelashes are missing for a second.
- Mr. Krabs did not have his money with him when he ran away at the end, so Larry could have just gone into his office and gotten money.