"Tea at the Treedome" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season one. In this episode, SpongeBob meets Sandy Cheeks.
The episode starts out with SpongeBob hunting jellyfish in Jellyfish Fields. Suddenly, he spots a young female squirrel wrestling with a giant clam. He takes out his field guide book, and identifies her as "Land Squirrel." SpongeBob thinks that she is in trouble, and goes to wrestle the clam himself. The squirrel manages to escape the clam, but SpongeBob ends up inside it. The squirrel then rescues SpongeBob, and throws the clam out of the area. SpongeBob introduces himself, and the squirrel says that her name is Sandy Cheeks.
SpongeBob inquires about the helmet she wears, and Sandy tells him that it's her air helmet. SpongeBob doesn't know what air is, but he doesn't tell her this, instead he says that he loves air. Sandy, surprised that SpongeBob is fond of air, invites him to her treedome for "Texas tea and cookies."
SpongeBob quickly runs over to his best friend Patrick Star and tells him everything that happened. Patrick tells him that 'putting on airs' is fancy talk. He then tells SpongeBob if he wants to be fancy, to hold his pinky finger high above him.
When SpongeBob arrives at Sandy's treedome, Sandy is in a purple bikini, since she does not need her air helmet inside. SpongeBob goes inside, and notices that the water level drops to almost nothing. He panics, and tells Sandy that there is no water. She tells him that, it's just air. SpongeBob says that there isn't any problem and tries hard to breathe. He doesn't realize that sea creatures need water to survive.
Sandy gives him a tour of her treedome, showing him that she has an oak tree, a bird bath, and other things. During this, SpongeBob quickly sneaks over to the bird bath, which is filled with water, and soaks up the water. The bird then angrily kicks him out.
SpongeBob gives Sandy some flowers. Sandy is very pleased and she decides to get a vase for them. Sandy asks SpongeBob if he needs anything, and he replied "Water would be nice," though Sandy does not reply to that, and simply leaves to gets the vase.
Meanwhile, Patrick, watching from outside the treedome, tells SpongeBob to keep his pinky finger up. Sandy comes back and puts the flowers in a vase, filled with ice cold water, on the picnic table. SpongeBob tries to resist drinking the water. Sandy asks him to tell her about himself, and remarks that being a "sea critter" must be fascinating. However, the oven dings and Sandy goes to get the tea and cookies.
SpongeBob eventually gives in (After a mental battle of assuring himself that he doesn't need the water, and finally screamed "I NEED IT!"), drinks it, and runs for the door, declaring that he is a quitter. Patrick, thinking he is being shy around Sandy, quickly enters the treedome and tries to convince him to stay. After a moment, Patrick also realizes that there is no water. The two struggle to get out of the treedome, but are unsuccessful.
When Sandy comes back, she shrieks as she spots both Patrick and SpongeBob dried up on the grass. She helps them by giving them water-filled helmets and mentions that if they needed water, they should have asked. In the end, Sandy proposes a toast to new friends, and they drink their tea. SpongeBob and Patrick drink by gulping the tea-filled water in their new helmets (due to being unable to drink the tea from their glasses while wearing their water helmets) with their pinky fingers pointing up.
SpongeBob and Patrick holding their pinkies up.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Moloka'i Nui A - Kapono Beamer [title card]
• SpongeBob Closing Theme - Steve Belfer, Nicolas Carr [opening]
‣ On Fire - Gregor F. Narholz [Sandy fighting a clam]
‣ Death Trap - Gregor F. Narholz [clam attacks Sandy]
‣ Charge - Will Schaefer ["Hold on, little squirrel."]
‣ The Adventure Begins - Jonathan Neal ["You have fought well, giant clam."]
‣ Wild Panic - Gregor F. Narholz ["Your shell is mine!"]
‣ Return of the Surfin' Headhunters - The Mel-Tones ["Hold on there, little square dude."]
‣ Moloka'i Nui A - Kapono Beamer [Sandy introduces herself]
‣ Heroes Win - Gregor F. Narholz ["Oh, yeah? Watch this!"]
• Twelfth Street Rag - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Sandy invites SpongeBob over]
‣ Cocktail Lounge - Dick Stephen Walter ["That's just fancy talk."]
‣ Armed Attack 1 - Mladen Franko [SpongeBob banging on Sandy's door]
‣ Merlin's Hill - Jennifer Jones [harp music]
‣ Aloha - Dick Stephen Walter ["Course there's no water."]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill [Sandy giving SpongeBob a tour]
‣ Hippo's in my Bath - Richard Myhill ["Pinky, pinky!"]
‣ Dead March 2 - Frederic Chopin, Alfred Kluten ["I brought you some flowers."]
‣ Encirclement - Jean Clero ["I gotta get out of here!"]
‣ Merlin's Hill - Jennifer Jones ["I like you, SpongeBob."]
‣ Encirclement - Jean Clero [SpongeBob struggling to open door]
‣ Cocktail Lounge - Dick Stephen Walter ["When in doubt, pinky out."]
‣ Tribute to the King - Gregor F. Narholz ["I don't need water! Water's for quitters!"]
‣ Action Cut A - Gregor F. Narholz ["I don't need it... I don't need it..."]
‣ Kung Fu Saturdays - The Mel-Tones ["I NEED IT!"]
‣ Dramatic Cue (h) - Ronald Hanmer [SpongeBob and Patrick dried up]
• You're Nice - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
- As of September 9, 2014, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 8.5/10 based on 382 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a 8.7/10 based on 438 votes.
- This episode is number 17 on Tom Kenny's Top 20 on iTunes.
- "Tea at the Treedome" was ranked #97 during the Best Day Ever event on November 9–10, 2006.
- Before every other Sandy appearance and SB-129
- In this episode, the water helmets have two openings.
- In the episodes following this one, there is only one.
- SpongeBob and Patrick are shown to dry up without water.
- In "Pressure," "Survival of the Idiots," The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie and its sequel, they manage without it.
- In the former and the two movies, they actually go above water.
- This is supposedly because of moisture in the air, with snow (In "Survival of the Idiots") and mist and the sea spray on the island and the beach.
- Running gag: Patrick constantly tells SpongeBob to hold up his pinky finger, all just to be fancy.
- This is the first episode to be a third episode in the 30 minute block.
- This is the first episode to use an under angle.
- This is one of the only episodes to have the second door in Sandy's treedome is used.
- In most the rest of the series, it is just the door that is on the outside of the dome is used.
- Even though it both doors still exist.
- The scene which shows SpongeBob completely dried up from lack of water and saying "I need it!" has become a popular internet meme.
- When Sandy says There's The Cookies! The bell that dings is too loud. As if it was sitting on the picnic table.
- Though this is probably because she has to hear it to go inside.
- When Sandy and SpongeBob meet, Sandy's tail is missing.
- Sandy's tail is missing throughout the first season when she is in her water protection suit.
- In the scene where Sandy finds SpongeBob and Patrick dried up, if one goes frame by frame, she lifts up the plate to drop it before a shocked expression is seen on her face.
- When Sandy is fighting the clam, her suit has a yellow badge on it. It is supposed to have an acorn on it.
- During the fight scene it appears to be 3 dots.
- The red light on Sandy's front door where the water gets drained isn't there when SpongeBob and Patrick first walk up to the treedome.
- The ice cubes in the vase shouldn't be floating and sinking up and down.
- When Sandy finds SpongeBob and Patrick dried up, they have no clothes on.
- When Patrick tries to open the door to get out, and SpongeBob jumps on his back his eyes are small dots, but when he falls underneath Patrick, his eyes are back to their original color.
- When SpongeBob tries to sneak away to Sandy's birdbath, his sunken-in eyes return to normal until after Sandy leaves.
- In Indonesia, instead of saying "I need it!," SpongeBob says "I need water!"
- On the Deep Sea Sillies VHS, Edgar Larrazabal was mistakenly credited at the Animation Director instead of Tom Yasumi.
- When sandy comes outside with the cookies, She says Come and get it! Ya'll gonna like this... WHAAA!!! as if she was talking to SpongeBob AND Patrick.
- She still only has two glasses of tea though.
- She also never seems surprised that Patrick was there. As if she knew he was there. This may be explained in a reference inside Battle for Bikini Bottom, Where when you're in Sandy's Treedome, You can find Patrick looking through the glass.
- The map Sandy gave SpongeBob was very inaccurate. As it just said You Are Here. Not saying where 'Here' is.