The Squidward-Patrick relationship is a relationship throughout the course of the series. Squidward is usually shown to have a considerable dislike towards Patrick, for constantly ruining his day and driving him up the wall with his annoying antics and annoying things. This dislike would grow in the later episodes, despite doing nothing wrong. Though, once in a while, Squidward occasionally shows kindness towards Patrick under certain circumstances.
Interactions throughout the series
Although Squidward hates both SpongeBob and Patrick, he is far more rude to Patrick. Unlike SpongeBob, Patrick actually notices that Squidward does not like either of them but was misled by SpongeBob. Like SpongeBob, Patrick also acts friendly to Squidward, oblivious to his hatred towards them.
However, Patrick is more likely to be mean to Squidward. Sometimes, Patrick thinks Squidward does not like them, as seen in "Jellyfishing." Another example is in "Wishing You Well," where Squidward and Patrick begin pushing each other and engage in a fight. In "Restraining SpongeBob," Squidward feels Patrick is much more annoying than SpongeBob, as seen when he crosses out SpongeBob's name on his restraining order and replaces it with Patrick's; as of that moment, Squidward now hates Patrick more than SpongeBob.
It should also be noted that Patrick has a habit of ignoring Squidward - for example, in "Buried in Time," Squidward rejects Rocky from being placed in the time capsule, but Patrick begins to do it anyway.
Times where Patrick acts mean to Squidward
While Patrick considers Squidward a friend, and is usually oblivious of his hatred, he is far more likely to confront him than Spongebob, as well as being capable of detecting his sarcasm and malice more often.
- "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy IV" - He thinks a shrunken Squidward was a toy played with him for comedy, until SpongeBob tells Patrick what occurred. However, he still attempts to punch a shrunken Squidward with a "giant fist," despite what SpongeBob told him.
- "Krusty Towers" - After Squidward brings Patrick's bags up to his hotel room and discovers his suitcase is full of rocks, Patrick angrily retorts, "I don't tell you how to live your life!"
- "Wishing You Well" - Patrick pushes Squidward and starts a fight with him. The former is the victor.
- "Big Sister Sam" - Patrick and Sam refer to both Squidward and SpongeBob as "meanies," and argue with the latter two throughout the whole episode. However, Patrick sees Squidward was somewhat right after SpongeBob points it out to him.
- "Restraining SpongeBob" - Patrick attacks Squidward (beginning a fight between the two), only stopping when SpongeBob tells him its Squidward. This act results in Patrick knocking SpongeBob off of Squidward's restraining order and being put on it himself.
- "Little Yellow Book" - Patrick throws tomatoes at Squidward for reading SpongeBob's work diary. When Squidward accuses Patrick of reading it too, Patrick says, "Blame everyone but yourself, that is so you!" He then throws another tomato at him.
- "Patrick! The Game" - As the police arrive to arrest Squidward, Patrick writes this as a repeat offender and gives the note to the officer. Squidward is thankful for this at first, but after encountering the same inmate, Squidward asks for someone to say his name.
- "Mimic Madness" - When Squidward, along with Plankton, intend on hurting SpongeBob in order to make him stop mimicking others, Patrick angrily demands them to leave him alone.
Times where Squidward acts nice to Patrick
Squidward is rarely nice to Patrick, having been hostile to him far more than to SpongeBob. However, there have been a few occasions where Squidward has acted nice towards Patrick. He generally sees Patrick to be less annoying than SpongeBob, as he hardly pays him any mind.
- "Naughty Nautical Neighbors" - Squidward expresses gratitude to Patrick after he saves him from choking to death on a fork, but immediately kicks him out for sleeping during his music session.
- "SB-129" - After being in the past and the future, Squidward admits he misses SpongeBob and wants to go home. When he gets home, he sees SpongeBob and Patrick, saying to them, "You don't know how happy I am to see you guys". Though he quickly becomes annoyed by the fact that he invented jellyfishing.
- "Christmas Who?" - Squidward, dressed as Santa Claus, sells his clock to Patrick, who mistakes it for a wrist watch.
- "Idiot Box" - When Squidward kicks the box, he starts an avalanche. Squidward becomes worried about SpongeBob and Patrick and checks inside the box to see if they are alright.
- "The Camping Episode" - After being warned multiple times about sea bears by SpongeBob and Patrick and attacked multiple times by one, Squidward finally believes and joins them in their anti-sea bear circle, which serves as a defense against attack. Squidward expresses gratitude to SpongeBob and Patrick for saving his life.
- "Patrick SmartPants" - Squidward is impressed by Patrick's suddenly, but temporarily heightened intelligence.
- "Breath of Fresh Squidward" - After Squidward is shocked by his own electrical fence, he turns nice towards SpongeBob and Patrick.
- "Enchanted Tiki Dreams" - Squidward appreciates SpongeBob and Patrick for creating the Enchanted Tiki Island, and even dances with them.
- "Squidward's School For Grown-Ups" - After Patrick grows a "beard," he acts more mature and becomes friends with Squidward. Though at the end of the episode, this friendship breaks after the "beard" turns out to be a sea urchin.
- "Patrick's Coupon" - Squidward prevents Mr. Krabs from stealing Patrick's coupon, as he knew the latter was too naïve to realize he is being conned. Though, Squidward later becomes angry with Patrick as usual but this is because he had to explain to Patrick what Mr. Krabs was really doing. Patrick believes Squidward's explanation but becomes paranoid.
- "Spin the Bottle" - Squidward asks Patrick nicely what happened to him.