- Squidward Tentacles
- Bubble Bass
- Suburban dad figurine (debut)
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patrick Star
- The Moth (cameo as action figure)
- Jumbo Shrimp (cameo as action figure)
- Pi-Right Ponderer (cameo as action figure)
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Nat Peterson
- Harold "Bill" Reginald
- Thaddeus (cameo)
- Unnamed green eel (debut)
- Flats the Flounder (cameo)
- Fish at the Near Mint Comic Books store (debut)
- Grandma SquarePants (mentioned)
At the Krusty Krab, Squidward is playing his clarinet to the annoyance of the customers. This causes Mr. Krabs to rush out of his office and tell Squidward to stop driving his customers batty. Squidward informs Mr. Krabs that he is practicing for an important open mic night that will be going on that night. Mr. Krabs tells him to practice elsewhere since the Krusty Krab is a jazz free zone. Squidward then claims he will take his music to the people and walks out of the Krusty Krab.
Squidward then stands outside the Near Mint Comic Books store where Bubble Bass is showing off a first generation talking suburban dad figurine to a few other fish. Squidward then begins playing his clarinet outside which causes Bubble Bass to drop and break the figurine. Angered, Bubble Bass rushes outside and jumps on top of Squidward. Bubble Bass tells Squidward to remove his clarinet from the premises, or he'll snap the reed. He then gets off Squidward causing him to roll all the way into his own front door.
Squidward angrily storms upstairs and begins playing his clarinet out the window. This annoys Patrick who is sitting outside playing with a couple of rocks. Patrick looks up and thinks that Squidward is being attacked by a pointy screeching monster. Patrick yells that he'll save Squidward and throws a rock which hits Squidward's clarinet and pins his head to a wood mount on his wall. Patrick yells "You're welcome!" and walks away. Squidward then puts his clarinet to bed for a pre-performance nap. After an hour passes, Squidward returns to find that his house has been broken into and his clarinet is missing. This begins the colorless segment of the episode.
Squidward begins monologuing about how his world has lost color since his clarinet went missing. He then notices his first suspect, SpongeBob, who is playing out in the rain. He goes outside and asks SpongeBob what he did with his clarinet. SpongeBob beleives it to be a game. Squidward then slaps him and asks him again. SpongeBob slaps himself and says he does not know. He then gives Squidward an alibi that he was at his Grandmother's house and shows the kiss marks on his head to prove it. SpongeBob suggests they ask their friends for answers and asks if he can join Squidward. Squidward reluctantly agrees.
The two then drive to the Krusty Krab to interrogate their first subject. They rush into Mr. Krabs office and Squidward tells him he wants to ask him a few questions. The two begin pampering Mr. Krabs which angers him. Squidward then asks him what he did with his clarinet. Mr. Krabs claims he didn't do anything since he was in his office counting his money all day. They believe him and mousy on their way. Mr. Krabs yells at them to bring him the clarinet when they find i so he can smash it.
They then return to the comic store where Squidward intends to interrogate Bubble Bass. The store is closed but they can here Bubble Bass and the other fish inside at the table. The two bust through the door and Squidward yells "Bubble Bass!". Bubble Bass then rushes off while SpongeBob sends a Mermaid Man figurine to fight the Suburban dad figurine. It turns out to be SpongeBob and Bubble Bass just bashing the figurines together. SpongeBob asks him what he did with Squidward's clarinet. He claims he had been at the comic store all day. Bubble Bass then drops and breaks the Suburban dad figurine again which causes him to cry.
The two then return to Squidwards house where Patrick is seen at the scene of the crime. Squidward then lays out what he believes Patrick did when he stole the clarinet. Patrick claims he did not steal it and says the goo he is eating is jellyfish jelly. This leads SpongeBob and Squidward to believe that the thief is at Jellyfish Fields.
The three then drive to Jellyfish Fields. When they arrive they see a jellyfish holding on to the clarinet. Squidward runs over and grabs the clarinet from the jellyfish, thus returning the color to his world. Squidward begins playing his clarinet in Jellyfish Fields. Patrick says they should solve another mystery which SpongeBob replies with, "How about the mystery of where all my coins went". This then results in all of his missing coins falling on his head.
At night Squidward plays for the Open mic night which takes place at a place called "jelly" in Jellyfish Fields. The audience consists entirely of Jellyfish who enjoy the music, as well as Mr. Krabs, SpongeBob, and Patrick, whom all have their ears plugged.
As part of the SpongeBob: You Bring The Color promotion, people were able to color images of several scenes in this episode to be part of the actual episode. The competition ended on November 10, 2017.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Blue Lamp Blues - Ralph Dollimore [Title card.]
‣ ? - Nicolas Carr [Squidward playing clarinet.]
‣ Cartoon Sting 2 - Steve Marston, Nicolas Carr ["You're driving me customers batty!"]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (o) - Jeremy Wakefield ["And if I see that clarinet again, it'll be going into the woodwind chipper, you hear me?"]
‣ Fooling Around - Barry Anthony [Bubble Bass shows the other fish his suburban dad figurine.]
‣ ? - Nicolas Carr [Bubble Bass hears Squidward's clarinet.]
‣ Dramatic Impact 6 - Ivor Slaney [Figurine breaks.]
‣ ? - Nicolas Carr [Bubble Bass sees Squidward playing clarinet.]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [Bubble Bass jumps onto Squidward.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (f) - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward emerges from under Bubble Bass.]
‣ Lite Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["You will remove that subpar woodwind from the premises."]
‣ ? - Nicolas Carr [Squidward playing clarinet in his house.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward's head is missing.]
‣ Alekoki - Kapono Beamer ["It's time for our pre-performance nap."]
‣ Dramatic Impact 5 - Ivor Slaney [Squidward's clarinet is missing and his window is broken.]
‣ Blue Lamp Blues - Ralph Dollimore ["And that's how it began... my life smashed to bits."]
‣ Secret Sleuth - Max Saunders [Squidward interrogates SpongeBob.]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Huh?"]
‣ The Hurry Up - Kenny Graham [Squidward and SpongeBob drive to the Krusty Krab.]
‣ Stool Pigeon - Kenny Graham [Squidward enters Krabs' office.]
‣ Bobmatisme - Achille Alberto Scotti [SpongeBob and Squidward pampering Mr. Krabs.]
‣ Sleazy Sax - Richard Myhill [Close-up of Mr. Krabs' makeover.]
‣ Silhouette No.3 - Johnny Hawksworth ["What in the salty seven seas are you two doing?"]
‣ Stool Pigeon - Kenny Graham [Squidward interrogating Mr. Krabs.]
‣ Subversion - Ralph Dollimore [SpongeBob and Squidward drive to Near Mint Comic Books.]
‣ Highway Hullabaloo - Kenny Graham [SpongeBob and Squidward burst through the doors.]
‣ Mermaid Man Sting - Nicolas Carr [Mermaid Man action figure.]
‣ Highway Hullabaloo - Kenny Graham [Mermaid Man action figure and suburban dad figurine fight.]
‣ Drama Link (g) - Hubert Clifford ["No!"]
‣ Funeral March - Frederic Chopin [Bubble Bass crying.]
‣ Today - Ralph Dollimore ["Come on, SpongeBob, let's go. This is a dead-end."]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Hmm...Yeah, how'd you know?"]
‣ Dicey - Kenny Graham [Squidward interrogates Patrick.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks - Jeremy Wakefield [Shot of Patrick's hand full of jelly.]
‣ Rat Trap - Syd Dale [SpongeBob and Squidward realize the thief must be at Jellyfish Fields.]
‣ Drainpipe Drag - Ralph Dollimore [Squidward, SpongeBob, and Patrick drive to Jellyfish Fields.]
‣ Catfish Row - Benny Carter ["My baby!"]
‣ Tentically Speaking - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward retrieves his clarinet.]
‣ ? - Nicolas Carr [Squidward playing clarinet.]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Huh?"]
‣ A Brighter Day - David Luong [Jellyfish jazz club.]
‣ ? [Ending sting.]
- As of January 2, 2018, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 9.3/10 based on 55 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 9.8/10 based on 2 votes.
- This episode premiered in the U.S. as part of the event based on the You Bring the Color game, where players color a screenshot from the opening of the show and scenes of this episode. There was a chance for them to see their colors live on TV.
- Also, on the original airing of the episode, the viewers also had a chance to color the last minute of this episode.
- This is, to date, the only episode to have a 3D title card.
- The Moth from "Night Light" makes a cameo in this episode as an action figure.
- Jumbo Shrimp and Pi-Right Ponderer also make cameo appearances as action figures.
- The plot of this episode is similar to that of the short "GumShoe SquarePants."
- Running gag: SpongeBob losing his coin.
- Flats the Flounder made a cameo in this episode. This marks his first appearance since the season 3 episode "The Bully."
- SpongeBob's alibi is a reference to the episode "Grandma's Kisses."
- This episode premiered eleven years after "Best Day Ever" premiered and six years after "Mooncation" premiered.
- The title is a reference to the concept of film noir (French for "black film"), a genre of crime movies popular in the 1940s and 50s.
- Coincidentally, this episode aired 4 days before L.A. Noire remastered released worldwide.
- The title card is similar to the typical film noir ones.
- One of the comics on the Near Mint Comic Books is titled "Blobfish." This is a reference to the fish of the same name.
- When Bubble Bass' friends comfort him when his Suburban Dad action figure broke, the veil one of the friends wears disappears for a split second.