- Patchy the Pirate (narrator)
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patrick Star
- Sandy Cheeks
- The Patty Gadget (debut)
- Squidward Tentacles
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Abigail Marge
- Don the Whale
- Miss Rechid
- Nat Peterson
- Nathiel Waters
- Norma Rechid
- Taylor Fishbowl
- Monroe Timmy
- Jennifer Millie
- King Neptune (cameo)
- Frankie Billy
- Vera Fishbowl
Patchy the Pirate is back, and reads a story about Squidward and SpongeBob. Squidward invents the machine, that he calls the Patty Gadget, and he insists that Mr. Krabs fire SpongeBob because it can make patties faster and Mr. Krabs does not have to pay for it. Then, SpongeBob declares a Krabby Patty War against the Patty Gadget.
First, SpongeBob seems to be faster, but the machine is not an easy challenge for him. Everyone was enjoying the fight (except for Patrick who had to go to the bathroom.)
Squidward then bursts out the handle of the Patty Gadget, causing it to overload. Despite this, SpongeBob keeps pace and eventually overwhelms the Patty Gadget, causing it to explode in defeat. However, SpongeBob collapses after winning the fight. A short memorial service is held, giving the appearance that SpongeBob has passed, but then SpongeBob appears and celebrates his victory, revealing that the grave is for the Patty Gadget. Patchy closes the book with the picture of the machine's tombstone and then the word, The End beside it. The word, The Legends of SpongeBob in the end of the book is just like from the beginning. Patchy lastly mentions he has to go and polish his hook.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ The Drunken Sailor - Nicolas Carr [title card]
‣ Unknown Track 8 - opening
‣ Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward's acne]
‣ Tripping Upstairs - Brian Peters ["What is this contraption you've hauled into me place?"]
‣ Unknown Track 8 - "The machine wanted his job."
‣ Sea Battle [#49] - John Fox [Patty war.]
‣ Sea Battle [#44] - John Fox [Patty war.]
‣ The Jovial Buccaneers [#36.02] - John Fox ["I won't lose to that thing!"]
‣ Pirate Ship - David Farnon [gadget explodes]
‣ The Jovial Buccaneers [#38] - John Fox ["It was all over, finished and done."]
‣ The Jovial Buccaneers [#36] - John Fox [SpongeBob collapses.]
‣ Dirgey - Nicolas Carr, Steve Marston [tombstone]
‣ The Drunken Sailor - patty gadget buried underground
‣ Unknown Track 8 - ending
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob's Atlantis SquarePantis, Season 5 Volume 1, Complete Fifth Season, and First 100 Episodes DVDs.
- As of January 27, 2017, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 7.1/10 based on 154 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a 7.9/10 based on 110 votes.
- This episode aired in Germany on June 14, 2007, before it aired in the USA.
- On the title card, every capital letter of a word is in the color red.
- The story "The Legend Of SpongeBob SquarePants" was not a real book, but it looked like one in this episode.
- At the beginning of the episode, Patchy opens a book. Its cover says, "The Legend Of SpongeBob SquarePants." A similar book title is seen on the "Legends of Bikini Bottom" episodes.
- This episode shows that Squidward might have a hand for inventing.
- This episode clearly demonstrates Squidward's sheer hatred for SpongeBob, as he tries to get SpongeBob fired and replaced by a machine.
- This episode proves that Squidward does know the recipe for the Krabby Patty. In past episodes, Squidward says he doesn't know the recipe at all, though he could have learned it over time.
- The way Patchy narrates the episode is similar to the story "Twas the Night Before Christmas," and how the Dr. Seuss stories are told.
- Patchy narrates the story in a way similar to a poem, with words rhyming after every line.
- This is the second episode to contain a title of two characters versing each other. The first episode was "Krabs vs. Plankton," the third will be in "Mermaid Man vs. SpongeBob," and the fourth will be in "SpongeBob SquarePants vs. The Big One."
- The fifth would've been the alternative title for "It Came From Goo Lagoon," being "SpongeBob vs. the Goo."
- This is the second time Patchy is a narrator. The first time was in "Christmas Who?"
- This is the second time Squidward goes to the cemetery. The first was in "One Krab's Trash."
- This is the fourth short of Season 5, The first was "Rise and Shine," the second was "Waiting," and the third was "Boat Smarts."
- This is also the last short of Season 5.
- This is the only episode that's not a special with Patchy the Pirate in it.
- This is also the only short with Patchy the Pirate in it.
- This is one of few times where Patchy appears without Potty the Parrot.
- This episode premiered eight years after the premiere of "Jellyfishing" and "Plankton!"
- In Indonesia, Patchy is also confused when SpongeBob isn't buried.
- The story is a parody of the legend of tall tale John Henry challenging and defeating a steam drill. Just like how SpongeBob faints after winning the battle, John Henry passed away due to exhaustion.
- Patchy said 20 patties, but there were actually 15.
- Also, SpongeBob puts patties on the grill, but a few seconds later, the patties he put on the grill are gone and he puts on more.
- On Squidward's final attempt to beat SpongeBob, he broke the lever on the Patty Gadget, but just before the machine explodes, the lever is in one piece again.
- After the scene where SpongeBob faints, there is a normal-sized grave. In the next scene, it was smaller.
- All though when Patchy said "It was all over," the patty gadget was completely destroyed but when he says "You thought SpongeBob was buried down there? They just buried the gadget!" then there are just some holes in it.