"SpongeBob vs. The Patty Gadget" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season five. In this episode, Squidward makes a machine that cooks Krabby Patties, so SpongeBob challenges it to a patty war.
Patchy the Pirate is back, and reads a story about Squidward and SpongeBob. Squidward invents the machine, that he calls the Patty Gadget, and he insists that Mr. Krabs should fire SpongeBob because it can make patties faster and Mr. Krabs does not have to pay for it. Then, SpongeBob declares a Krabby Patty War against the Patty Gadget.
First, SpongeBob seems to be faster, but the machine is not an easy challenge for him. Everyone was enjoying the fight (except for Patrick who had to go to the bathroom.)
Squidward then bursts out the handle of the Patty Gadget, causing it to overload. Despite this, SpongeBob keeps pace and eventually overwhelms the Patty Gadget, causing it to explode in defeat. However, SpongeBob collapses after winning the fight. A short memorial service is held, giving the appearance that SpongeBob has passed, but then SpongeBob appears and celebrates his victory, revealing that the grave is for the Patty Gadget. Patchy closes the book with the picture of the machine's tombstone and then the word, The End beside it. The word, The Legends of SpongeBob in the end of the book is just like from the beginning. Patchy lastly mentions he has to go and polish his hook.
‣ The Drunken Sailor
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
- Nicolas Carr [title card]
‣ Unknown Track 8 - opening
‣ Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward's acne]
‣ Tripping Upstairs - Brian Peters ["What is this contraption you've hauled into me place?"]
‣ Unknown Track 8 - "The machine wanted his job."
‣ Sea Battle [#49] - John Fox [Patty war.]
‣ Sea Battle [#44] - John Fox [Patty war.]
‣ The Jovial Buccaneers [#36.02] - John Fox ["I won't lose to that thing!"]
‣ Pirate Ship - David Farnon [gadget explodes]
‣ The Jovial Buccaneers [#38] - John Fox ["It was all over, finished and done."]
‣ The Jovial Buccaneers [#36] - John Fox [SpongeBob collapses.]
‣ Dirgey - Nicolas Carr, Steve Marston [tombstone]
‣ The Drunken Sailor - patty gadget buried underground
‣ Unknown Track 8 - ending
- As of July 31, 2018, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 7.1/10 based on 208 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 7.9/10 based on 110 votes.
- Although this episode premiered in 2007, it was made in 2006 according to the credits.
- This episode aired in Germany on June 14, 2007, before it aired in the USA.
- On the title card, every capital letter of a word is in red text.
- The story The Legend Of SpongeBob SquarePants was not a real book, but it looked like one in this episode.
- At the beginning of the episode, Patchy opens a book. Its cover reads "The Legend Of SpongeBob SquarePants." A similar book title is seen on the "Legends of Bikini Bottom" episodes.
- This episode clearly demonstrates Squidward's sheer hatred for SpongeBob, as he tries to get SpongeBob fired and replaced by a machine.
- This episode proves that Squidward does know the recipe for the Krabby Patty. In past episodes, Squidward says he doesn't know the recipe at all.
- In a future episode called "Sweet and Sour Squid," Squidward says again that he doesn't know the recipe, so it's likely that this episode takes place after that one.
- The way Patchy narrates the episode is similar to the story "Twas the Night Before Christmas," and how the Dr. Seuss stories are told.
- The episode's plot is similar to the folktale "John Henry.” In both cases, the main character races against a machine while performing the same task.
- This is due to a proposition: SpongeBob battles the Party Gadget to keep his job; John Henry fights a railway steam drill for an ownership of land being worked on.
- Patchy narrates the story in a way similar to a poem, with words rhyming after every line.
- This is the second episode to contain a title of two characters versing each other, the first being "Krabs vs. Plankton."
- This is the second episode to have Patchy as a narrator. The first is "Christmas Who?"
- This is the fourth short of season 5. The first is "Rise and Shine," the second is "Waiting," and the third is "Boat Smarts."
- This is the first non-special episode to feature Patchy the Pirate.
- This is also the only short to date with Patchy in it.
- This episode marks one of few times where Patchy appears without Potty the Parrot.
- This episode premiered eight years after "Jellyfishing" and "Plankton!"
- In Indonesia, Patchy is also confused when SpongeBob isn't buried.
- The story is a parody of the legend of tall tale John Henry challenging and defeating a steam drill. Just like how SpongeBob faints after winning the battle, John Henry passed away due to exhaustion.
- Patchy says 20 patties, but there are actually 15.
- Also, SpongeBob puts patties on the grill, but a few seconds later, the patties he put on the grill are gone and he puts on more.
- On Squidward's final attempt to beat SpongeBob, he breaks the lever on the Patty Gadget, but just before the machine explodes, the lever is in one piece again.
- After the scene where SpongeBob faints, there is a normal-sized grave. In the next scene, it is smaller.
- Although when Patchy says "It was all over," the Patty Gadget was completely destroyed, but when he says "You thought SpongeBob was buried down there? They just buried the gadget!," then there are just some holes in it.