"SpongeBob You're Fired" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season nine. In this episode, when Mr. Krabs fires SpongeBob to save money, SpongeBob must find other work, at other restaurants.
SpongeBob is working at the Krusty Krab and is making a Krabby Patty while Squidward sleeps on the job. When he finishes making it, Mr. Krabs comes and tells him he is fired. Krabs says the reason why he is firing him is because he found out he can save a nickel if he cuts off SpongeBob's salary completely. Squidward asks if he can be fired but Mr. Krabs states he can't be fired as he has seniority, to his dismay. SpongeBob offers to work for free but Mr. Krabs stated he already thought of that, though he had found out he cannot because it is illegal and he would lose his vendor's license. As a result, SpongeBob starts crying and floods the Krusty Krab with his tears. Not sympathetic to this, Squidward tells him he should come back "as a customer," which makes him cry again before Squidward closes the blinds on a sulking SpongeBob. Then, he congratulates Mr. Krabs for his decision and asks him who is going to make the patties. Krabs tells him that he was a "golden spatula fry cook" in the navy, so he is going to be the new chef before the spatula spontaneously burst into flames as Squidward comments on the impending disaster.
SpongeBob then goes home, crying about his situation, as he is comforted by Gary who also wants to be feed. SpongeBob feeds him but continues to cry as he hears Patrick crying because he is doing so too. Feeling bad, SpongeBob invites him to come inside, before (at first unsuccessfully) telling him about his situation. However, Patrick tells him that being fired is the best gig that he knows and tells SpongeBob he is going to come back the next day to tell him the steps of glorious unemployment.
The next day, SpongeBob appears depressed and disheveled, as Patrick tells him the 3 steps of glorious unemployment, or as Patrick likes to call it, "fun-employment." The steps are breakfast with Squidward, taking a mid-morning siesta, and free lunch with friends. First, they go to Squidward's house and step on his plants. Angered, Squidward throws food at them to go away. That is how they get their breakfast. Next, Patrick and SpongeBob stick themselves to the rock, but SpongeBob falls down. Then, they go to Sandy's treedome, where she is handing out food which is toxic waste that gives off mutations such as a puffy face and extra forehead for Patrick.
Sandy then notices SpongeBob who tells her he lost his job and tries to eat the food she made but she quickly prevents him from eating the slop since she explains her real goal is doing a psychological test to determine how much stuff (she doesn't even know what this "stuff" is) they eat, for free. Sandy then tells SpongeBob that he needs to get a new job. Motivated by her words, SpongeBob tells Patrick that "funemployment" may be fun for him but he needs to get a new job. While Patrick's second head insults him, Patrick angrily hits the latter for insulting his friend and tells SpongeBob to go ahead with his decision. With that, he turns from a depressed sponge to back to a happy and joyful sponge again and he goes looking for a job.
The first job SpongeBob arrives at is the Weenie Hut, where he gets employed by Mr. Weiner. However, Weiner soon fires SpongeBob due to him making Weenie Patties instead of hot dogs. Next, SpongeBob goes to Pizza Piehole where he gets hired by Pizza Pete to make pizzas, but SpongeBob makes a Pizza Patty, much to Pizza Pete's disapproval, resulting in SpongeBob getting fired again. Next, SpongeBob goes to Taco Sombrero; he gets hired and makes a Burrito Patty, and Señor Taco asks a customer to taste it. Pilar volunteers, but when he takes a bite, the burrito meat gets into Billy and Frank's faces, so he gets fired once again. SpongeBob then cries an excuse to Señor Taco, but the latter just strictly fires him. Next and shortly, a crying SpongeBob goes to Wet Noodle, but he gets fired yet again, and Noodleman throws the Noodle Patty on SpongeBob, causing him to say he'll take his cooking home.
SpongeBob is crying about being fired several times in one day as he goes home. When he arrives home, Gary asks him for snail food, but he says he does not have any, so he makes a homemade can of snail food for Gary. SpongeBob tastes a bit of it, saying it tastes great. Gary eats the food, saying it is the best food he ever tasted. Patrick also eats the food.
Then, there is a knock on the door, which SpongeBob answers. The Hotdog Minions trap SpongeBob in a hot dog bun and take him away. It turns out Mr. Weiner kidnapped him and "promotes" him because of his idea of Weenie Patties while ignoring his mentioning of firing him. SpongeBob can't leave because he got chained until Pete comes along and frees him with Pizza Sauce, only for him to kidnap him with bread. Soon it is a war against all the owners of each restaurant until the Killer Krabby Patty defeats them and takes him back to the Krusty Krab, where angry customers are leaving because of Mr. Krabs' cooking. Krabs thanks Killer Krabby Patty, who is then revealed to be Squidward in disguise, for bringing SpongeBob back. Squidward admits that even though he hates SpongeBob, he hates the smell of burnt Krabby Patties even more. He begs SpongeBob to come back and become a fry cook again.
SpongeBob says he would if it was okay with Mr. Krabs who apologizes to SpongeBob for his foolish firing him in the first place since the Krusty Krab is falling apart without him, and rehires SpongeBob. Ecstatic at being rehired, SpongeBob cleans the whole restaurant and gives Mr. Krabs and Squidward a new suit and dress.
SpongeBob later serves the customers patties again, even inviting his old bosses over for a meal to make amends. Mr. Krabs then says that to make up for the nickel he lost, he installed a pay toilet, which costs a nickel to use.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Bikini Bottom Bound - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (l) - Jeremy Wakefield [opening]
‣ Tentically Speaking - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob making Krabby Patties]
‣ Dragon Flight A - Daryl Neil Alexander Griffith [SpongeBob jumps into the air]
‣ A Pirate's Life for Me (a) - Ron Goodwin [SpongeBob mops the floor while tied to the ceiling]
‣ Tentically Speaking - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob goes back to the kitchen.]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob gets a idea]
‣ Tentically Speaking - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob choose a pickle jar.]
‣ Unknown Track 13 - SpongeBob puts pickles on a pattie
‣ Circus Parade (b) - Dick Stephen Walter ["Order up!"]
‣ Fanfare (b) - Nicolas Carr ["One perfect patty on a pristine plate!"]
‣ Monocle and Pocket-Watch - Brian Douglas Gulland ["You're fired."]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford ["WHAT?!"]
‣ Sailor's Sting 16 - "Well, I've been doing some calculating..."
‣ Saltwater Works - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob cries]
‣ Sailor's Sting 8 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs says he'll be running the grill]
‣ Hebrew Lament - John Leach [SpongeBob sadly comes home]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob hears Patrick crying]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (j) - Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick at the window]
‣ Cartoon Sting 4 - SpongeBob stutters trying to say "fired"/"Great. See you then."
‣ Skipping to School - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [The next morning]
‣ Dramatic Impact 3 - Ivor Slaney [SpongeBob answers the door]
‣ Skipping to School - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Ready for your first day of unemployment?"]
‣ Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward gets angry]
‣ Cartoon Sting 5 - Mid-morning siesta
‣ Fooling Around - Barry Anthony [SpongeBob sitting outside Patrick's rock]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr ["Yippee."]
‣ The Fruitcake Vendor - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Sandy's experiment]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks - Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick punches his forehead]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (l) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Thanks, Patrick."]
‣ Unknown Track 40 - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob loses five o'clock shadow.]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob loses five o'clock shadow]
‣ Cream Pie - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["I'm ready! Whoo-hoo!"]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob grins enthusiastically]
‣ Comic Walk - Sidney Torch [Weenie Hut kitchen]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford [SpongeBob screams]
‣ Comic Walk - Sidney Torch [weenie patties]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (t) - Jeremy Wakefield ["But Mr. Krabs, why?"]
‣ Via Porchio - Mario Tomasso, Serge Tomassi [Pizza Piehole]
‣ Parting of the Clouds - Nicolas Carr [shot of pizza patty]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (u) - Jeremy Wakefield ["But who will make the Krabby Patties?"]
‣ Guaracha Senorita - Heidi Pehofer [Taco Sombrero]
‣ Solo Steel - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob cries]
‣ ? [Wet Noodle]
‣ Unknown Track 30 - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob sadly come home]
‣ Unknown Track 1 - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob making snail food]
‣ Drama Link (g) - Hubert Clifford [SpongeBob kidnapped]
‣ Stealth by Night - Jack Coles [SpongeBob chained to Weenie Hut grill]
‣ Dramatic Impact 5 - Ivor Slaney ["Parmesan crusted breadstick?"]
‣ Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [restaurant owners fighting over on SpongeBob]
‣ Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [restaurant owners holding over on Spongebob]
‣ Adventurers - Larry Hochman ["Stop! Unhand that sponge!"]
‣ Bloodbath - Harry Lubin [Killer Patty beats up restaurant owners]
‣ Sponge Monger - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Well, here we go again."]
‣ Sailor's Sting 9 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["How can you serve this slop?"]
‣ Solo Steel - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs re-hires SpongeBob]
‣ SpongeBob History Song - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob cleaning the Krusty Krab]
‣ Sailor's Sting 4 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [ending]
- This episode was criticized and panned with negative reviews for its references to unemployment, especially from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, which caused the media matters for America to take action, and prompted MSNBC's Al Sharpton to "stick up for poor Americans."
- As of September 27, 2017, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 5.1/10 based on 200 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 4.4/10 based on 78 votes.
- This is the last episode to premiere in 2013.
- This is the first season 9 special to air.
- There is an online game based on this episode.
- The title of this episode is similar to that of "Mrs. Puff, You're Fired."
- This is the last episode to be produced before The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water began production.
- Τhis episode aired in Greece on July 3, 2013, before it aired in the USA.
- In this episode, Mr. Krabs does a terrible job making Krabby Patties, and all the customers hate them, even though in "Friend or Foe," a flashback shows he made delicious Krabby Patties. It's possible he forgot how to properly cook them over the years.
- This is the last episode where all captions in an episode are in uppercase.
- The plot of this episode is similar to "Bummer Vacation" and "Model Sponge."
- In "Bummer Vacation," SpongeBob gets bored when he takes a vacation from work.
- In "Model Sponge," SpongeBob thinks he is being fired, when he was not.
- In this episode, he was actually fired.
- The restaurants that SpongeBob worked at but got fired from were:
- This is the third time SpongeBob gets fired from his job at the Krusty Krab.
- The first was in "Karate Choppers" and the second was in "Squid on Strike."
- He also got fired in the episode "Sleepy Time," though it was only because SpongeBob ruined Mr. Krabs' dream.
- Also in "Hooky," he was fired after not listening to Mr. Krabs though not really fired as it was a ploy by Mr. Krabs and Squidward.
- He also got fired in "Dying for Pie," but not necessarily because Mr. Krabs hung the Help Wanted sign on the window because he thought SpongeBob's spot in the Krusty Krab would be empty soon due to the bomb pie he ate.
- This was fourth 30-minute SpongeBob SquarePants special to air on November 11. The first three were "Have You Seen This Snail" in 2005, "The Great Patty Caper" in 2010, and "A SquarePants Family Vacation" in 2011.
- Since SpongeBob didn't know what a hot dog was, this episode probably takes place before "SpongeGuard on Duty" and "Krusty Dogs."
- This is a rare time where Squidward physically attacks someone.
- Squidward reveals that he hates the smell of burnt Krabby Patties more than SpongeBob.
- However, he actually gave the customers burnt Krabby Patties in "The Play's the Thing." This likely explains where he developed the hatred.
- SpongeBob's mug says "Best Day Ever." This is a reference to the episode of the same name.
- SpongeBob is able to make the Snail-Po recipe. It is possible that he remembered the taste that he had from "Missing Identity."
- This episode is a bit out of character for both Squidward and SpongeBob. SpongeBob makes a remark about Pizza Pete, saying "I hope his pepperoni falls off," and Squidward went out of his way to save SpongeBob (something he would most likely despise).
- Weenie Hut may be a reference to Weenie Hut Jr's.
- When Mr. Krabs says "golden spatula fry cook", this might be a reference to the Golden Spatula collectibles of the SpongeBob video games, most notably, Battle for Bikini Bottom, where SpongeBob has to collect golden spatulas to enter new levels. He might also be referencing the same spatula seen in "Plankton!."
- SpongeBob gets his pink slip in the form of a shirt. When one receives a pink slip, it's on paper, and then they get fired.
- In the same scene, SpongeBob also holds a can and an ax. The can means "Being Canned" (which means "Getting Fired"); the axe, and the way it falls on SpongeBob and slices him in half, may be supposed to be a visual pun on "Getting Axed" (which also means "Getting Fired").
- This episode aired on March 31, 2014 in Southeast Asia except for the Philippines, in which it aired on April 2, 2014. Both premieres were before the Kids' Choice Awards.
- This episode is similar to "Le Big Switch," where SpongeBob also makes patties out of ordinary food. In both episodes first his bosses hate it, then they love it.
- This is the second time Patrick's forehead is shown with the ability to speak, the first being time being in "Chum Bucket Supreme."
- This is one of the few times where Mr. Krabs wears the Krusty Krab employee hat, the other being the "What if SpongeBob Was Gone? (Mr. Krabs)" short.
- This episode is similar to "Can You Spare a Dime?," except for the fact that SpongeBob suffers being fired instead of Squidward.
- This is one of few episodes to sneak in controversial content under the radar.
- In the promo for this episode, it said "Will the greatest fry cook of Bikini Bottom hit Rock Bottom?" This may have been a reference to the episode "Rock Bottom."
- The episode name was actually said in "Karate Choppers," which is an older episode. This may just be a coincidence.
- The TV Guide on Xfinity/Comcast displays the title as "SpongeBob, You're Fired!"
- This episode was aired alongside various specials from this cartoon and The Fairly OddParents leading up to the Nickelodeon movie 100 Things to Do Before High School.
- This episode premiered in the Philippines on Martin Olson's 62nd birthday, nine years after Nickelodeon Blimp premiered, three years after "Sentimental Sponge" premiered and "Greasy Buffoons" and "Model Sponge" premiered in Poland, two years after "Restraining SpongeBob" premiered, and one year after "Patrick's Staycation" and "Walking the Plankton" premiered in Greece.
- This episode premiered ten years after Friends Forever was released, eight years after "Have You Seen This Snail?" premiered, three years after "The Great Patty Caper" premiered, and two years after "A SquarePants Family Vacation" premiered.
- This episode premiered two years before the premiere of "Patrick! The Game" and "The Sewers of Bikini Bottom."
- This episode premiered in Canada on Shannon Tweed's 57th birthday, Jon Hamm's 43rd birthday, and five years after Surf's Up SpongeBob! was released.
- This episode premiered in Southeast Asia seven years after the premiere of "Born to Be Wild" and "Best Frenemies" and two years after the premiere of "Are You Happy Now?" and "Planet of the Jellyfish."
- This is the fourth time SpongeBob's tears caused flooding, the first being "Grandma's Kisses," the second being "Funny Pants," and the third being "A Day Without Tears."
- On the Complete Ninth Season DVD, this episode is incorrectly listed as "SpongeBob, You're Fired!," adding a comma and exclamation point to the title.
- When SpongeBob's corner grew back after he ate it, the scene skipped a part, paused, and then started again.
- Mister Weiner knows where SpongeBob lives.
- However, SpongeBob could have told him when applying.
- When SpongeBob is smelling (looking) at the paper, his buck teeth are together for a split second.
- When SpongeBob says, "They're Weenie Patties!" and "But you just fired me," his Weenie Hut hat is replaced with his Krusty Krab hat.
- At the end of the episode, the four restaurant owners are seen at the Krusty Krab despite being beat up earlier.
- When Mr. Weenie says, "My customers love your little sliders!," the Weenie Patty is smaller.
- When SpongeBob is forced out of the Krusty Krab by Squidward, there are no tables inside.
- When Patrick is disturbing Squidward when he is gardening, there are 3 markers for plants. When SpongeBob says, "Hey, Squidward, look at me, I'm fun-employed!", there's only one plant marker.
- When SpongeBob wraps his arm around the custom Snailpo can while opening it, in the next scene when he gives it to Gary, his arm is wrapped around the can more.
- The order wheel was not seen in the order window at the end of the episode.
- When SpongeBob is feeding Gary the first time, he uses Slimy Can Snail food, but later he makes some Snailpo and even says before he makes the snail food, "I'll open up a can of Snailpo for you Gary."
- When SpongeBob goes to the cupboard to get some snail food for Gary the first time, if one looks closely, one can see there are multiple cans inside, but when SpongeBob says "I'll open up a can of Snailpo for you" while opening the cupboard, it is empty.
- After SpongeBob got fired from the Wet Noodle, he said that he is been fired five times in one day. However, he was fired from the Krusty Krab a day ago, so he was actually fired four times in one day, it is possible that it might have been later that day.
- When the Hotdog Minions were kidnapping SpongeBob out of his house, his house was a lot wider than usual.
- Throughout SpongeBob's "funemployment", twice his coffee cup spilled, yet later, it is full again without SpongeBob going back to his house to refill his coffee mug.
HQ *NEW* SpongeBob You're Fired! - Official Promo
HQ SpongeBob You're Fired! - Weenie Hut - Promo
SpongeBob You're Fired Pizza Piehole
SpongeBob You're Fired Taco Sombrero