- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Squidward Tentacles
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Billy (cameo)
- Harold "Bill" Reginald
- Nat Peterson
- Sandy Cheeks
- Patrick Star
- Devil (mentioned)
- Awesome Eddie (debut)
- Big G (debut)
- Chip (debut)
- Silent Stan (debut)
- Twitch (debut)
- Narrator (debut)
- Jack Kahuna Laguna (debut)
- Flying Dutchman
- Sally (mentioned)
- Davy Jones (debut)
- The Big One (debut)
- Nathiel Waters
- Frank the Lifeguard
- Nancy Suzy Fish
- Jimmy Gus
- Archie (normal; pink body)
- Abigail Marge
- Frank the Red-Shirt-Wearing Fish
- Jennifer Millie
- Monroe Timmy
- Shelly Fishbowl
- Thaddeus (normal; yellow; gray; dark gray; blue; light blue)
- Vera Fishbowl
- Gary the Snail
- Larry the Lobster
- Pearl Krabs
- Miss Rechid
- Tina Fran
It is a very hot day in Bikini Bottom, and the Krusty Krab is seeing no business. The employees are annoyed being in the restaurant because of how hot it is and the fan stops working. To get some customers, Mr. Krabs moves his business to the middle of the sea at Goo Lagoon, where he, Squidward, and SpongeBob meet up with Patrick and Sandy. Patrick then tries to get on the board on which the grill is, but ends up tipping it vertically into a wave, sending them off to separate places: SpongeBob, Patrick, and Squidward end up on an island with young surfers, Mr. Krabs is stranded in the middle of the Dutchman's Triangle (which he identifies by red waterspouts, raining doughnuts, and still waters), and Sandy ends up on a small island in the middle of nowhere. SpongeBob, Patrick, and Squidward come across the locals, who claim to be junior college dropouts and take them to a hut made of bat droppings (guano), where they learn that the only way back to the mainland is by surfing. SpongeBob, who does not know how to surf, starts panicking.
Meanwhile, the Flying Dutchman accidentally rams into Mr. Krabs on his way home from the grocery store and spills his groceries. As a result, the Dutchman then tries to get money to get more groceries from Mr. Krabs by stealing his cash register (which he now calls Cashy), and a fight brews.
While this is happening, SpongeBob, Patrick, and Squidward receive lessons from the locals, but struggle to focus, until they are told to head downriver to see Jack Kahuna Laguna (aka JKL), who was supposedly last seen upriver. After a while of enjoying the sights, SpongeBob stops to retie his shoes but stumbles upon the cove where JKL was last seen. Patrick and Squidward follow him further and discover JKL, who they watch surf for 2 and a half hours. He later starts a fire and tells them to look into it, claiming that doing so will show them the secrets to surfing, but Squidward refuses, saying it is ridiculous.
Meanwhile, Sandy thrives by building a 5-star hotel, a helicopter, a steam-powered generator, a cappuccino shop, a coconut-milk-powered car, and a control tower, but decides to head back home. Meanwhile, at the Dutchman's Triangle, the Flying Dutchman gets hold of the cash register, but accidentally releases the tray, which hits him and sends him to Davy Jones' locker, where "Davy Jones" is revealed to be the real-life actor of the same name.
Back with JKL, the latter continues to teach SpongeBob and his friends how to surf, but during the middle of the final lesson, JKL leaves to head towards a temple, and SpongeBob and his friends follow. It begins raining as soon as SpongeBob and his friends hit the top, and JKL tells them that every 1,000 years or so, the planets align in such a way that the perfect wave forms, known as "the Big One," and that this time has come, and SpongeBob and his friends must ride it back home, or else be trapped on the island forever. SpongeBob and his friends are also told by JKL that the Big One requires a sacrifice to stay "alive" for the whole trip and that one of them will not return. SpongeBob and his friends head off to the Big One, but immediately, it eats up Patrick and Squidward's boards. SpongeBob allows them onto his board, when Mr. Krabs shows up and gets swallowed by the Big One, but JKL shows up and rescues him. Mr. Krabs then accidentally drops Cashy into the wave. JKL jumps into the wave to recover it, and as a result gets absorbed by the Big One, sacrificing himself allowing SpongeBob and the others to get home safely. SpongeBob then surfs them back home while playing a tribute song to JKL's sacrifice.
Meanwhile, Sandy crashes into Goo Lagoon in her helicopter, where the beach visitors mistake her for an alien. SpongeBob, Patrick, Squidward, and Mr. Krabs wash up a few seconds later, soon followed by JKL who somehow survived the Big One and they welcome them back home with a luau. JKL gives Mr. Krabs Cashy, and the episode ends with them dancing at the beach.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ ? [title card]
‣ Solo Steel - Jeremy Wakefield [opening at Krusty Krab]
‣ Monocle and Pocket-Watch - Brian Douglas Gulland [Krabs forgot to pay the power bill]
‣ Fanfare (b) - Nicolas Carr ["We're going to the beach today!"]
‣ Unknown Track 5 - Goo Lagoon aka the beach
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer [Patrick emerges from the water]
‣ Monster Wave - Nicolas Carr, Fabian Fernandez, James King [Patrick tries to climb onto the surfboard]
‣ Alone in the Old House - Gregor F. Narholz ["Where'd the beach go?"]
‣ Menace [#42] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["Water spouts... of blood?!"]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr [jelly donuts]
‣ Unease - Dick Stephen Walter ["I've landed right in the middle of Dutchman's Triangle!"]
‣ Malleus Mallificarum (a) - Dave Hewson ["Right above Davy Jones' locker... in the Devil's Galley!"]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob, Patrick, and Squidward wash up on an island]
‣ Hawaiian Happiness - Jon Jelmer [SpongeBob dragging seaweed around]
‣ Unknown Track 51 - "Om..."
‣ Hula Guitars - Eric Spencer ["We've been here since we dropped out of junior college."]
‣ Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield ["Great."]
‣ Dramatic Cue (e) - Ronald Hanmer ["I don't know how to surf!"]
‣ Surfing Sponge - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [surf lessons]
‣ Guitar Island - Eric Spencer [legend of Jack Kahuna Laguna]
‣ Closing the Door - Nicolas Carr [dramatic sting]
‣ Dramatic Cue (e) - Ronald Hanmer [Sandy wakes up on another island]
‣ ? ["I'm stranded!"]
• Bee Line for the Tree Line - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield
‣ Steel Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob stops to tie his shoe]
‣ Sea Fanfare - John Fox [SpongeBob finds Kahmamoku Cove]
‣ ? [banjo music]
‣ War Statement 3 - Laurie Johnson [Patrick sees a straw hut]
‣ Unknown Track 52 - extremely long surfboard
‣ The Power Within - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [JKL surfing]
‣ Unknown Track 51 - Nicolas Carr ["Just keep breathing."]
‣ Unease - Dick Stephen Walter [Krabs going crazy]
‣ Sailor's Sting 3 - Krabs talking to his cash register
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford ["Ah! It's the Flying Dutchman!"]
‣ Drama Link (g) - Hubert Clifford ["Ah! It's some guy I've never seen before!"]
‣ The Dreadnought Tea Clipper (b) - Tim Laycock, Robert Alexander White ["Who be disturbing the Flying Dutchman's walk home from the convenience store?"]
‣ Malleus Mallificarum (a) - Dave Hewson [lightning]
‣ Unknown Track 51 - Nicolas Carr [JKL appears/JKL goes]
‣ ? ["We just have to stare into this fire all night."]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [meanwhile...]
‣ Hawaiian Happiness - Jon Jelmer [Sandy making a fire]
‣ Lionheart - Larry Hochman [helicopter]
‣ The Dreadnought Tea Clipper (b) - Tim Laycock, Robert Alexander White ["I didn't mean to spill your groceries!"]
‣ Steel Licks (d) - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward wakes up]
‣ Unknown Track 51 - Nicolas Carr ["You obviously didn't stare into the fire all night."]
‣ Apprehensive 2 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [thunderstorm]
‣ Death Clock (c) - Dick de Benedictis [planets align]
‣ Death Clock (a) - Dick de Benedictis [JKL describing the big one]
‣ ? ["You'll have to catch it... or you'll be stuck here..."]
‣ ? ["...forever."]
‣ Closing the Door - Nicolas Carr ["The big one... is almost upon us."]
‣ Dirgey - Nicolas Carr, Steve Marston [Dutchman trying to take Krabs' cash register]
‣ Malleus Mallificarum (a) - Dave Hewson ["Liar!"]
‣ Tomb Raider - Norman Dane ["This weather sure is dangerous."]
‣ Finger of Fear - Fredric Bayco [cash register hits Sandy's helicopter]
‣ Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield [Dutchman knocked out]
‣ Wild Eyes - Ronald Hanmer ["Mayday...!"]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr ["Cashy!"]
‣ ? [Dutchman sinks]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr [Dutchman wakes up]
‣ Drama Link (b) - Hubert Clifford [Davy Jones' locker]
‣ Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield [Dutchman groans]
‣ Daydream Believer - The Monkees [Davy Jones throws socks at Dutchman]
‣ Alone in the Old House - Gregor F. Narholz ["Get ready, dudes, it's coming."]
‣ The Creature (b) - Gregor F. Narholz ["The big one always demands a sacrifice."]
‣ Dramatic Sea Battle - Gerhard Trede [paddling toward the wave]
‣ Unknown Track 70 - "I never even got a chance to tell him that I..."
‣ Wild Panic 30 - Gregor F. Narholz [JKL rescues Krabs]
‣ ? ["I guess the big one prefers a high protein meal."]
‣ Unknown Track 52 - SpongeBob playing bongos
‣ Unknown Track 51 - Nicolas Carr [JKL appears in the sky]
‣ Drama Link (f) - Hubert Clifford [Sandy's helicopter crashes at Goo Lagoon]
‣ Dramatic Impact 6 - Ivor Slaney ["Don't make any funny moves, spaceman!"]
‣ Steel Licks (d) - Jeremy Wakefield [everyone walks away]
‣ Unknown Track 5 - "Welcome home!"
‣ Sponge Twist - Nicolas Carr, Fabian Fernandez, James King [dance music]
‣ Unknown Track 52 - JKL returns
‣ Sponge Twist - Nicolas Carr, Fabian Fernandez, James King [ending]
‣ Daydream Believer - The Monkees [closing credits]
- This episode is available on the SpongeBob vs. The Big One, Season 6 Volume 1, and Complete Sixth Season DVDs.
- On the Winner Take All Sunday, this episode was #9.
- The episode very first aired at a party celebrating 10 years of SpongeBob at the Sundance Film Festival, which lasted from January 15 to 25, 2009. The airing of the special includes differences from the final version:
- The animation wasn't done at that time, as for the most part, there were still images.
- There is a stunning amount of missing music and SFX (except for the song when they surf to JKL).
- There are two scenes with Plankton that are not in the special.
- There is a sudden amount of other dialogue from the cast.
- This episode aired in Germany on April 10, 2009, before it aired in the USA.
- There are 12 tikis on the title card.
- The background of the title card is the same as "Culture Shock," except it is blue instead of red.
- To date, this is the only episode in the series to include SpongeBob's full name in the title.
- This episode was available on the SpongeBob vs. The Big One DVD one month before it premiered on TV.
- This episode was on SpongeBob.com before it aired on its original airdate.
- In some countries, including Latvia, Ukraine, Australia, and Germany, they use an alternate title card that reads "The Secret of Kahuna Laguna."
- This episode could take place before "Sportz?" because in that episode Squidward and Sandy knew each other.
- This could've also taken place before "Scaredy Pants."
- Johnny Depp guest starred as Jack Kahuna Laguna, who bears a resemblance to him.
- JKL's advice to surfing is mainly "just keep breathing."
- Both sides of JKL's surfboard are never seen at the same time.
- Sandy manages to survive and thrive on a nearby island. This is similar to how she can also survive in "To Save a Squirrel," where she also used her bare hands to survive.
- List of things Sandy created while "thriving:"
- Davy Jones from "The Monkees" appears in this episode. Also, "Daydream Believer," a song sung by him, is heard when he throws a sock at the Flying Dutchman.
- Both Davy Jones and his locker appear in this episode, as opposed to other episodes where only his locker appears.
- The music for the end credits of this episode is the Monkees' "Daydream Believer."
- SpongeBob says he didn't know how to surf in this episode, but he was seen surfing in "Ripped Pants" and "Pranks a Lot." This episode possibly takes place before these two episodes but he does know how to tie his shoes so it must take place after "Your Shoe's Untied."
- This is the Flying Dutchman's only appearance in season 6.
- This episode and "Pet or Pests" are the first episodes to use a new sad music track.
- This episode marks the third year in a row that a double-length episode aired in April, after "Friend or Foe" in 2007 and "Pest of the West" in 2008.
- This is the fourth episode to have tikis on the title card. The first was "Hall Monitor," the second was "Culture Shock," and the third was "I Was a Teenage Gary."
- This is the fourth episode to contain a title of two characters versing each other. The first episode is "Krabs vs. Plankton," the second is "SpongeBob vs. The Patty Gadget," and the third is "Mermaid Man vs. SpongeBob."
- In Indonesia, Twitch says "That's right. Kemosabe Island. Although, we sometimes refer to it as an... island." That means either he knows the name of the island, or Indonesia didn't have a translation for the word kemosabe.
- The German title of this episode, is "Die Welle Zuruck" which means "The Wave Back."
- The Dutch title of this episode is "Het geheim van Kahuna Laguna," which means "The secret of Kahuna Laguna."
- The Japanese title of this episode is "スポンジ・ボブとビーーッグウェ～ブ" which means "SpongeBob and (the) Big Wave."
- This episode premiered on Victoria Beckham's 35th birthday and two years after "Friend or Foe?" was released.
- In 2010, the episode was nominated at the Golden Reel Awards for Best Sound Editing: Television Animation.
- There is a Nintendo DS game called Beach Party Cook-Off that is based on this episode.
- The title card and opening credits is longer than any other episode, lasting about 15 seconds instead of the regular 10 seconds for most other episodes. This is due to the multiple guest stars.
- Alongside, it is the first episode to have six opening credit transitions.
- The Dutchman's Triangle is a reference to the Bermuda Triangle.
- The song that plays under the surfing narration sounds similar to "Papa Oom Mow Mow" by the Rivingtons.
- Kahanamoku Cove is a reference to famous surfer Duke Kahanamoku, considered to be the father of modern surfing.
- It is unknown how JKL survived the Big One, since he was the sacrifice.
- It is not possible that Squidward, SpongeBob, Mr. Krabs, the grill, and the cash register could possibly balance on the surfboard.
- When Sandy is running saying "Where is everybody?!", footprints are shown behind her. But before she kneels down and says "I'm stranded." footprints are not shown behind her.
- In the Greek dub, Mr. Krabs calls himself mistakenly "Eugene Squidward," while promoting Krabby Patties at the sea.
- Typically, SpongeBob, Patrick, and Squidward could have been found by Sandy, another helicopter, or a ship passing by. Therefore, surfing was not the only way back to Bikini Bottom.
- In the picture SpongeBob shows Patrick, Squidward's shirt is white instead of brown.
- After Sandy's Helicopter hit the Flying Dutchman, it veers toward a different island. However, she crash lands on Goo Lagoon.
- It is unknown how Twitch and his friends got to Bikini Bottom, though it is possible that they also surfed.
- In some parts of the episode, Squidward's Krusty Krab Employee Hat disappears.
- ^ https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=el&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.espressonews.gr%2F%CF%80%CE%B5%CF%81%CE%B9%CE%B5%CF%87%CF%8C%CE%BC%CE%B5%CE%BD%CE%BF%2F22549%2F%CF%80%CE%AC%CF%81%CF%84%CE%B9-%CE%BC%CE%B5-%CE%B4%CE%AD%CE%BA%CE%B1-%CE%BA%CE%B5%CF%81%CE%AC%CE%BA%CE%B9%CE%B1-%CE%B3%CE%B9%CE%B1-%CF%84%CE%BF%CE%BD-%CF%83%CF%86%CE%BF%CF%85%CE%B3%CE%B3%CE%B1%CF%81%CE%AC%CE%BA%CE%B7
- ^ http://spongebob.nick.com/videos/clip/spongebob-at-sundance.html
|Awards and nominations for SpongeBob SquarePants (V • E)
Golden Reel Awards