|The following is an ongoing discussion that has been created by a bureaucrat. Please feel free to voice your opinion, but be sure to follow the rules.
You can use any of the following prior to your comments to show your opinion.
After one month of discussion, we got a lot of feedback during Round 3 of Rename the Wiki. We are now onto Round 4 of Rename the Wiki. Here I put a summary of the results from the discussion of Round 3 and describe how Round 4 will work.
In Round 4, we will, like the other rounds, discuss each of the names and our opinions toward them. This time, however, there are only 4 remaining suggestions. We will then determine the top suggestion for the rename, that is, the suggestion that recieves the most support over oppisition. I will also open continued discussion into our current name.
Round 4 will last 1 month, so discussion will end on Sunday, March 25, 2014 at midnight, eastern standard time.
Clarification: What does this mean?
Some people appear to be confused about the renaming process. The change is significant and insignificant at the same time. We will not be changing our URL. We will always have the same web address (spongebob.wikia.com). "The SpongeBob SquarePants Wiki," will most likely remain in the title if the name is changed, it will be a subtitle. The only changes are:
- We will be calling the wiki by another name
- There will be a new logo
- We will market ourselves under another name
Summary of Round 3
Here is a summary of Round 3. I opened up discussion for opinions on each of the top 10 name suggestions from Round 2. I also opened up suggestions for a final time, and 3 names were suggested. I also provided a section for those to give feedback into the current name. Here are the results:
I was going to narrow down the list to 5 suggestions, but SpongeBob WikiPants (ranked #4) and SpongeBob EncycloPants (ranked #5) received more negative comments than the others. However, since one of the new suggestions (The Spongey Database) had a positive reaction, I included it to yield more discussion.
- 1. Spongebob wikipants (average rating: 9) (score: 96)
- 2. SpongeBob Knowledge Base (average rating: 1.5) (score: 35)
- 3. SpongeBase Galaxy (average rating: 0.5) (score: -3)
- 4. The Spongey Database (rating: 3)
- Key to the above:
- The average rating is the average rating between Round 2 and Round 3.
- The score is the total score added from Round 3.
- The rating for the The Spongey Database is the rating from Round 3.
The image below shows the logo concepts. The images are 250px by 65px and all include "the SpongeBob SquarePants Wiki" as a subtitle. We can decide whether or not we want to include a subtitle. Note: These logos ARE NOT final. We will decide later what our new logo will be. There may be a contest.
Summary of Comments of Top 4
The follow is a summary of the comments toward the top 4 name suggestions.
- 1. Encyclopedia SpongeBobia
- Overwhelmingly strong support for a strong name described as a nice play on words, is interesting, and cool. The only negative comment was that it sounded corny, but that was even a 9/10 support opinion.
- 2. SpongeBob Knowledge Base
- Supporters agree that it fits, others say it is corny, dull/boring, and unattractive.
- 3. SpongeBase Galaxy
- One of the names to drop a rank. People have mixed opinions over the use of the word "galaxy."
- 4. The Spongey Database
- One of the newer suggestions that received positive comments, although there is question in regards to the use of "spongey."
The current name: Should we change it?
And in regards to the current name, The SpongeBob SquarePants Wiki. Here is a list of pros and cons to changing the name, and to the actual name, as brought up everywhere I can find:
Pros & Cons: Changing the name
Here are the pros and cons to changing the name of the wiki:
- Renaming and rebranding for a fresh new-ness
- Anticipation of the second movie yielding possible new viewers and excitement
- Giving the wiki an official name
- Possible confusion
- Search engine optimization (however, we would still remain at spongebob.wikia.com)
Pros & Cons: Our current name
Here are the pros and cons of our current name, "The SpongeBob SquarePants Wiki."
- It's familiar
- It describes the wiki as a whole
- It's boring
- It's unoriginal
- It's outdated
As I stated in Round 3, we will no longer have suggestions, as our list is now narrowed down to a top 4. As with the previous rounds, I want everyone to give your opinions into each of the suggestions, with your support, oppose, or neutral opinion. This time, be more critical and try to come to a conclusion to which one you feel is best for the wiki.
The Suggestions to Rename
Encyclopedia SpongeBobia (Current Rank: #1)
- Summary of previous discussion: Overwhelmingly strong support for a strong name described as a nice play on words, is interesting, and cool. The only negative comment was that it sounded corny, but that was even a 9/10 support opinion.
- Support - - there is overwhelming support for this, with it's play on "Encyclopedia Britannica." It sounds exciting and describes this wiki as a whole.
- Neutral - - I enjoy the pun of the Encylopedia. I wouldn't mind. It's pretty good. Tanhamman 22:35, February 24, 2014 (UTC)
SpongeBob Knowledge Base (Current Rank: #2)
- Summary of previous discussion: Supporters agree that it fits, others say it is corny, dull/boring, and unattractive.
- Oppose - - I am being more critical here. This is a good name, as it describes the wiki, but it is not great. — AMK152 18:43, February 24, 2014 (UTC)
- Oppose - - It's not great. It describes what we do, but doesn't give a good ring. Tanhamman 22:33, February 24, 2014 (UTC)
SpongeBase Galaxy (Current Rank: #3)
- Summary of previous discussion: One of the names to drop a rank. People have mixed opinions over the use of the word "galaxy."
- Oppose - - I think this name is too similar to "SpongeBob Universe," which was a failed project we were involved in. I don't think we should be associated with that anymore. — AMK152 18:43, February 24, 2014 (UTC)
- Oppose - - SpongeBase is good, but galaxy has no warm ring to it. Tanhamman 22:36, February 24, 2014 (UTC)
The Spongey Database (Current Rank: #4)
- Summary of previous discussion: One of the newer suggestions that received positive comments, although there is question in regards to the use of "spongey."
- Oppose - - At first, I liked this suggestion, but I think "spongey" does not sound right and "database" sounds too technical. — AMK152 18:43, February 24, 2014 (UTC)
- Support - - I like the name. Database tells everyone who we are. I believe if "Spongey" were changed to something with a better ring, such as "The Sponge's Database" (only a suggestion), it'd do better. Tanhamman 22:38, February 24, 2014 (UTC)
Our Current Name
In this section, there are two discussions:
- 1. Changing the name - discuss your overall opinions in regards to changing the name.
- 2. The Name Itself - how do you feel about the current name of the wiki? Do you feel there are better names or not?
1. Changing the Name
Ask yourself: Should we change the name of the wiki? Why or why not? Here is a table of pros and cons. Feel free to add your own pros and cons.
- Support - I support the idea of changing the name since before SpongeBob Universe. We need an official name. I don't think it would cause confusion, as some suggestion. We will remain at the same web address, so no one will get lost. We are not moving, but simply changing our name. I think a name change will stir excitment. — AMK152 18:46, February 24, 2014 (UTC)
- Support - A name change is in order. The current name is old, and if we have a new name, perhaps more people will come to this site. Plus, a new name can keep us updated with the "now". Tanhamman 22:39, February 24, 2014 (UTC)
2. The Name Itself
Ask yourself: How do I feel about the name "The SpongeBob SquarePants Wiki"? It is a good enough name to keep? Is there a better name or not? Would it be better to use the current name as a subtitle of a new name? Here is a table of pros and cons. Feel free to add your own pros and cons.
- Oppose - the name just fell into place by default. It is familiar and it does describe us, but as I mentioned in my comments above, a name change would be good. The current name is really generic and outdated. I agree with a comment that Loopa said regarding it's unoriginality, noting that wikis such as "Narutopedia" have an original name. — AMK152 18:49, February 24, 2014 (UTC)
- Neutral - This name is what we have now. If we replace it, we could take away everything we've completed. However, a new name will give us a fresh look, and it doesn't hurt to have change. It's boring, and old. Newer names would keep us updated with "today", and we can always change back (I think). Tanhamman 22:41, February 24, 2014 (UTC)