- Patrick Star
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Mr. Ranger (debut)
- Singing Coral (debut)
- Larry the Lobster
- Barnacle Boy
- Mermaid Man
- Old Man Jenkins
- Squidward Tentacles
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Mayor (debut)
- Bailiff (debut)
- Abigail Marge
- Debbie Rechid
- Frank (red shirt)
- Frankie Billy
- Fred (blue; green)
- Jimmy Gus
- Miss Shell
- Nancy Suzy Fish
- Nat Peterson
- Nathiel Waters
- Tina Fran
- Fish with the Pizza
- Susie Rechid
- Fish in Boat
- Toll Booth Fish
- Gorilla (mentioned)
- Taylor Fishbowl
- Mr. Buxton (debut)
- Gary the Snail (cameo)
- Sandy Cheeks
- Construction Worker
- Fish on Magazines
- Officer John Slugfish
- Officer Rob Johnson
- Grandma SquarePants or Grandma Bubblebottom (mentioned)
- Cletus Star (mentioned)
- Shelly Fishbowl
- Confetti Girl (debut)
- Parade Band (debut)
- Blue Clown (debut)
- Mascot (debut)
- Fish on Stilts
- Conjoined Twins (debut)
- Santa Fish (debut)
- Mable the Gray Fish
- Purple wrestler
- Scottish Group (debut)
- Choir (debut)
- Rock Band (debut)
- Medley Fishbowl
- Norma Rechid
- Karen Plankton (cameo)
- Monroe Timmy
- Ben Flenny (debut)
- Perch Perkins (mentioned)
- Gus' parents (mentioned)
- Dr. Slean (mentioned)
- Sally (mentioned)
- Mabel (mentioned)
- Julie (mentioned)
- Gus' pals in El Tuna (mentioned)
- Gang at the Pudgy Flipper (mentioned)
- Jennifer Millie
- Martha Smith
- Mrs. Puff
- Frank the Lifeguard
SynopsisJellyfish Fields, ready to go jellyfishing. They slowly watch the Ranger go to open the gate to the Fields. They show him their jellyfishing licenses and take pride in doing it, to which he is not amused. SpongeBob then takes a moment to realize how lucky he and Patrick are to be among the jellyfish, and they take the time to pay tribute, and sing "the Jellyfishing Song." Patrick then notices a large billboard and points it out to SpongeBob. They read the sign and find out that the Shelly Superhighway is going to be built over Jellyfish Fields, so SpongeBob goes into town alone, trying to stop the destruction of Jellyfish Fields. No one listens, so SpongeBob goes to work, very sad. Mr. Krabs says he is actually supporting the construction of the highway, much to SpongeBob's dismay. He explains that he will get more customers if the highway is built. SpongeBob discovers that Plankton is the founder of this highway and that his plan was to build over the Krusty Krab to run them out of business. The ending of the highway leads to the Chum Bucket to steal all the customers that Mr. Krabs once had. Mr. Krabs storms over to the Chum Bucket where he orders Plankton to stop this highway. He then tells the two that he has already had everyone in town agree. It cuts to a flashback to a court where people were told to say "I" if they support the construction of the highway. The people who agreed included Mr. Krabs, who humorously agreed only because he likes saying, "Aye!" Mr. Krabs remembers this in pity.
SpongeBob and Patrick then pass out flyers and sing "Give Jellyfish Fields a Chance" trying to get Bikini Bottom to save Jellyfish Fields. They find out that people are on the highway's side when they are pelted with their own flyers. Nat then tells SpongeBob and Patrick that the highway is what everyone wants by crushing the sitar that SpongeBob was playing as part of the song. The police then come and control the riot, arresting SpongeBob and Patrick because SpongeBob didn't have a license on his sitar (actually resisting the highway project) even though SpongeBob claims his grandma gave him the sitar and it didn't come with a license. The police then throw them out in the middle of nowhere (or edge, Patrick corrects SpongeBob). During this time, Patrick remembers what his Great-uncle Cletus said before he was arrested in a Freedom March and urges them to continue to support Jellyfish Fields. After they are abandoned, they think a parade would get people to go down with the Highway, but as soon as they are brainstorming (literally), a parade for the highway passes by, followed by Plankton, with a Paver, to build the highway. SpongeBob tries to stop him, only to be crushed by the Paver while Patrick plays the trumpet. All the life is sucked out of Jellyfish Fields as well, causing all of the jellyfish to retreat.Bikini Bottomites to panic. Just as Mr. Krabs is about to sell the formula to Plankton, Mr. Krabs flees while Plankton is grabbed and stung by the jellyfish. SpongeBob uses this chance to convince the Bikini Bottomites to restore Jellyfish Fields through a news broadcast. Everyone still replies no until SpongeBob asks if they were kidding, to which they reply yes. Soon SpongeBob rides Plankton's paver in an attempt to demolish the highway, but it does not budge. A severely stung, but still standing Plankton appears and gloats that his highway is indestructible. However, the Bikini Bottomites help SpongeBob by pushing the paver, giving them enough momentum to unpave the highway and restore Jellyfish Fields. Panicked, Plankton tries to stop it but is crushed by the paver. The Krusty Krab is back in business and the episode ends with the Bikini Bottomites in Jellyfish Fields singing The Jellyfishing Song.
Nickelodeon officially announced the episode on a press release on April 5, 2010. According to the network, "SpongeBob and Patrick learn the 'Shelly Super Highway' is coming to Bikini Bottom - right through Jellyfish Fields! They must find a way to galvanize their neighbors, or it could be the end for Jellyfish Fields forever."
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Wahini Wobble - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
‣ Solo Steel - Jeremy Wakefield [opening]
‣ You're Nice - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [ranger opens Jellyfish Fields]
‣ Grand Pastures [#33] - Harry Bluestone [SpongeBob and Patrick jellyfishing]
‣ New Country [#41] - Harry Bluestone ["You like it here so much you feel yourself being moved to a song?"]
‣ New Country [#48] - Harry Bluestone ["Let's just start with the song."]
• The Jellyfishing Song - Aaron Springer, Eban Schletter
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr [big sign]
‣ Apprehensive 2 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["Superhighway?!"/"So what you're saying is, that if they go though with their plans..."]
‣ Command Post 2 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [SpongeBob vows to keep the Shelly Superhighway from being built]
‣ Unknown Track 5 - Larry lifting weights
‣ Aloha Oe - Hans Haider, Queen Lili'uokalani [Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy at Shady Shoals]
‣ Pell-Mell - Sam Spence [APATHY!!!]
‣ Comic Walk - Nicolas Carr ["I'm sorry, SpongeBob."]
‣ Steel Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob falls apart]
‣ Botany Bay - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [at the Krusty Krab]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr ["Really, Mr. Krabs?"]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford [SpongeBob screams]
‣ Sailor's Sting 12 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs explains why he's in favor of the highway being built]
‣ Danger HQ - Norman Dane [SpongeBob reveals the highway plan]
‣ Wargames Linking Section (g) - Keith Mansfield ["Plan approved by Sheldon Plankton Enterprises."]
‣ Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield ["Think this piece will get the point across?"]
‣ Cartoon Sting 1 - Krabs orders Plankton to stop the highway/SpongeBob begins ranting at Plankton.
‣ ? [town hall meeting]
‣ Zelle 501 - Gerhard Trede ["I've got superhighway preparations to attend to."]
‣ Sailor's Sting 13 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Well, I'm gonna do the only thing I can do..."]
‣ ? [SpongeBob says he's not giving up]
‣ Darting Around - Harry Bluestone [SpongeBob and Patrick giving out flyers]
• Give Jellyfish Fields a Chance - Aaron Springer, Eban Schletter
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Hey, wait a minute."]
‣ Steel Sting (j) - Jeremy Wakefield ["This is one of our flyers."]
‣ Dramatic End [#49] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["I'll tell you what it means!"]
‣ Bikini Bottom Police - Nicolas Carr [cops arrive]
‣ Dramatic Impact 6 - Ivor Slaney [SpongeBob and Patrick arrested]
‣ Unknown Track 58 - "Let not your heart walk away from you..."
‣ Dramatic Cue (e) - Ronald Hanmer [SpongeBob and Patrick left on the edge of nowhere]
‣ Steel Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield [Now Entering Nowhere]
‣ Unknown Track 68 - rain cloud above SpongeBob and Patrick
‣ Steel Licks (c) - Jeremy Wakefield [still raining]
‣ Final Summit (a) - Mladen Franko ["I'm not ready to give up just yet!"]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr ["Oh, a parade!"]
‣ Super Highway March - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Shelly Superhighway parade]
‣ Unknown Track 33 - people murmuring
‣ For He's a Jolly Good Fellow - everyone sings
‣ Super Highway March - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [Plankton paving over Jellyfish Fields]
‣ Unknown Track 59 - "I won't let you do it, Plankton!"
‣ Super Highway March - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony [parade music]
‣ ? [Plankton paving over Jellyfish Fields.]
‣ Spritely Sprite [#67] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [the highway's finished]
‣ Sailor's Sting 14 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [concrete arch over Krusty Krab]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr [fax machine]
‣ Dirgey - Nicolas Carr, Steve Marston ["Mr. Krabs, what are you saying?"]
‣ International Intrigue - Joe Sherman ["It's time to active Plan Zed-Dash-Niner-Niner."]
‣ Dramatic Impact 6 - Ivor Slaney ["Zed-Dash-Niner-Niner?!"]
‣ Imminent Action - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Krabs tries to explain]
‣ Drama Link (e) - Hubert Clifford ["I'm selling the Krabby Patty formula to Plankton!"]
‣ Drama Link (o) - Hubert Clifford ["Tell me that I'm dreaming."]
‣ Background Blues - Otto Sieben [Karen massaging Plankton]
‣ Botany Bay - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs at the door]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr [Plankton hears something]
‣ Death and Destruction 1 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [jellyfish invade the Chum Bucket]
‣ Unknown Track 30 - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob's sad]
‣ Death and Destruction 1 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [jellyfish invade Bikini Bottom]
‣ Bikini Bottom News Theme - Nicolas Carr [news on TV]
‣ Drama Link (f) - Hubert Clifford [jellyfish chasing SpongeBob]
‣ International Law - Peter Yorke ["STOP THE MADNESS!"]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["You're kidding, right?"]
‣ The Adventurers - Paddy Kingsland [SpongeBob tries to destroy the highway]
‣ Battle March Link (a) - Keith Mansfield ["Good effort, SpongeDope!"]
‣ Fanfare (b) - Nicolas Carr ["Larry Lobster!"]
‣ Sports and Games - Gerhard Narholz ["Sandy Squirrel! Mrs. Puff! Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy! Patrick!"]
‣ The Silver Blade - Ilona Sekacz [everyone helps SpongeBob destroy the highway]
‣ Parting of the Clouds - Nicolas Carr [choir]
• The Jellyfishing Song - Aaron Springer, Eban Schletter
This section is too short. You can help the Encyclopedia SpongeBobia by expanding it.
- Running gag: Patrick misunderstanding SpongeBob's questions and answering something that he already knows.
- The band in the parade is seen wearing the same outfits as Squidward's band in "Band Geeks."
- This episode is declared the SpongeBob Earth Day Special.
- This is the second episode where Patrick has a badge pinned through his skin without feeling any pain. The first is "Stuck in the Wringer."
- This episode had an online game featured on SpongeBob.com, which also helped Nickelodeon's The Big Help (an organization/movement about people playing on an online game, who would do events/things to save the environment and biodiversity in real life, in order to get points in their game; also, the Big Help was promoted by various Nickelodeon stars, like Miranda Cosgrove, among others).
- This is the first episode to be premiered simulcast in the United States, Canada. and Latin America in the same date, in this case, the 2010 Earth Day.
- Also, this is the second episode to be aired simulcast in the US and Latin America. The first one was "Dunces and Dragons."
- The Krusty Krab sign is different, now stating, "over 2,478,921,437 served," as a parody of the McDonald's sign, which reads "Billions and billions served."
- Coincidentally, both this episode and "SpongeBob SquarePants vs. The Big One" aired in April and their DVDs were released in March.
- This is the first episode where Plankton is stung by a jellyfish.
- The second time was in the short "Plankton Pays."
- This episode is famous to environmental protesters since it features environmental protesting, which was SpongeBob and Patrick protesting against the construction of Shelly Superhighway which threatened Jellyfish Fields.
- It is revealed Plankton has been stealing Mr. Krabs' mail for the past five years.
- The parade includes flower girls, a marching band, a float with clowns and models, a fish with long legs, conjoined twins, a Santa fish on a limo, old folks being whipped by the wrestlers from "Krusty Krushers," a bagpipe band, a giant cat float, a choir, rock stars, and Plankton in a bulldozer.
- This is the second episode where Sandy has fleas.
- The first was "A Flea in Her Dome."
- Sandy has real fur in this episode. She wouldn't have been relieved by scratching if she wore a pelt.
- In "Someone's in the Kitchen with Sandy," Sandy wears a pelt.
- This episode premiered after a Three-Hour Long SpongeBob Jellyfish Earth Day Marathon.
- During the song "Give Jellyfish Fields a Chance," many references are made to past episodes.
- This is the first episode that a fax machine appears in the series.
- It looks identical to a Microsoft ColorJet and an HP Deskjet F2210 which represents the HP Deskjet series, the only difference is that the fax machine is blue.
- When the crowd throws trash at SpongeBob and Patrick, fish skeletons are seen.
- However, most of the Bikini Bottomites are fish.
- The Chum Bucket's slogan "Chum is Fum" is seen again.
- This is a reference to the episode "Chum Bucket Supreme."
- The middle part of "The Jellyfishing Song" is based on the song "Smoke Two Joints."
- The leaf hats they wore had five leaves, perhaps representing marijuana, however, they could've been feather plumes that so happen to look like leaves, or palm tree leaves.
- In the online game Super Brawl, there is a stage based off this episode.
- There is garbage and graffiti all around the road bridge above the Krusty Krab.
- It's currently unknown why there can be such that things, since the bridge is new.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick are abandoned by the police, SpongeBob loses his shoes.
- Before the commercial break, he has his shoes.
- Afterwards, he doesn't have shoes anymore.
- Before the commercial break, he has his shoes.
- Plankton's plan to build a highway over the Krusty Krab makes no sense because people could still get inside the Krusty Krab.
- In Brazil, the title of this episode is "Bob Esponja Protesta," which translates to "SpongeBob Protests" in English.
- After SpongeBob says, "It's working, Patrick! They're booing the highway," the booing stops from the soundtrack, but the crowd's lips are seen, still booing.
- After the Shelly Superhighway is built, a shot of the Krusty Krab is shown.
- Notice the graffiti on the concrete in front of the Krusty Krab.
- Later, a different shot is seen and the graffiti is notably different.
- In this episode, Karen is seen running without being plugged in and most likely had no batteries.
- When SpongeBob gets in the way of Plankton's steamroller, he's wearing an outfit similar to what he wears in "Band Geeks."
- However, when he gets run over, he's in his underwear.
- On the highway supports around the Krusty Krab is a range of different writing & drawings.
- One is a drawing of an alien with 'Paul' written next to it.
- This is a reference to the movie 'Paul', which is about an alien.
- One is a drawing of an alien with 'Paul' written next to it.
- The choir from "Choir Boys" and "A Day Without Tears" is seen again.
- A season four episode of Rugrats had an episode with a similar title called "Angelica's Last Stand."
- "Plan Zed-99" (Niner niner as Mr. Krabs pronounces it) means surrender the formula to Plankton. Zed is the pronunciation of letter Z in some countries, the last letter of the alphabet, and when it comes to two-digit numbers, 99 is the very last number.
- In the first scene with Ben Flenny, he uses shoes, but in the second, when Bill appears, the reporter is not wearing shoes.
- Plankton breaks the fourth wall when he says "Observe in this conveniently timed flashback."
- The title card is popping up through the Shelly Superhighway.
- On the highway supports around the Krusty Krab is a range of different writing and drawings. One is a drawing of Squidward.
- After the highway goes over the Krusty Krab and goes over a loop, it goes into the Chum Bucket, but that's impossible because the Chum Bucket is across the street to the Krusty Krab.
- The area after the highway was built looks similar to the other side of the county line from The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie.
- A clip of this episode was used in an announcement commercial informing viewers that Viacom was going off the air from DirecTV back in July 2012.
- Patrick has the hat he wore in the Super Band in this episode. Since they all probably bought the outfit at the same time, this episode is most likely after "Band Geeks."
- This episode premiered four years after The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie was released in Japan and one year after the premiere of SpongeBob & You Save the Big Blue, Educate and Activate, Educate and Activate 2, Separation Anxiety, Surfing Dreams, and SpongeBoard.
- This is the first episode where SpongeBob and Patrick dress up like hipsters. The second time is in the episode "There's a Sponge in My Soup."
- The way that the Bikini Bottomites unite to destroy the Superhighway is reminiscent of how thousands of people united to destroy the Berlin Wall that divided Germany in 1989.
- In this episode, Patrick talks about his Great-Uncle Cletus, who was named after the slack-jawed yokel on The Simpsons (Cletus DelRoy Spuckler).
- The Shelly Superhighway might be a reference to the Eisenhower Interstate System.
- The song "Give Jellyfish Fields a Chance" is a reference to both John Lennon's "Give Peace A Chance" and Bob Dylan's "Subterranean Homesick Blues."
- The episode's title is a reference to "Custer's Last Stand" (also called the "Battle of the Little Bighorn"), a battle during the Great Sioux War of 1876-77, in which the Lakota and Northern Cheyenne Native American tribes completely defeated the 7th Calvary Regiment of the United States Army.
- The line "Frankly, my dear sponge, I don't give a barnacle" is a parody of a famous line from Gone with the Wind.
- When Plankton says "I love the smell of tar in the morning," it is a parody the famous line "I love the smell of napalm in the morning" from the film Apocalypse Now.
- The Shelly Superhighway plan is also a reference to Robert Moses' plans for the Long Island Transportation System.
- The line "And stop calling me Eugene" is a possible reference to the quote "And don't call me Shirley" from the film Airplane!
- In the final scene. before the camera zooms out, if one can pause it at the right moment, they will notice that some of the characters' eyes are slightly off.
- Also in that scene, how did Squidward get there?
- Before Mr. Krabs says that he likes saying "Aye,' the fish next to him is yellow, but when he says it, the fish is green.
- Right before the commercial break, the rainwater is spreading, but afterward become a circular puddle.
- At the beginning, when SpongeBob and Patrick are catching jellyfish, Patrick says he caught a "five-spotted jellyfish," but it only has one spot.
- However, due to Patrick's immense stupidity, he probably can't even tell the difference between five spots and one spot, so this may not be an error at all.
- Oddly, after Plankton builds the highway, all the other streets in Bikini Bottom disappear.
- Patrick plays the trumpet with his left hand, when he is actually right-handed.
- SpongeBob drives a bulldozer, even though he does not have a license.
- SpongeBob announces Sandy's name as "Sandy Squirrel", when her actual last name is "Cheeks."
|This page uses content from Wikipedia (original • authors). Both Encyclopedia SpongeBobia and Wikipedia are licensed under the CC BY-SA 3.0 Unported license.|