- Squidward Tentacles
- Clam (mentioned)
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Slimy Trash Can Creatures (debut)
- Fish on the cover of Gratitude Magazine
- Gary the Snail (cameo)
- Frankie Billy
- Nathiel Waters
- Jimmy Gus
- Shelly Fishbowl
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Fred (blue)
- Nat Peterson
- Norma Rechid
- Abigail Marge
- Miss Shell
- Frank the Lifeguard
- Martha Smith
- Medley Fishbowl
- Susie Rechid
- Miss Rechid
- Don the Whale
- Frank the Goldfish
- Frank the Red-Shirt-Wearing Fish
- Harold "Bill" Reginald
- Jennifer Millie
- Vera Fishbowl
- Green Officer
- Officer John Slugfish
- Monroe Timmy
- Tina Fran
- Old Man Jenkins
- Debbie Rechid
- Dolphin Warrior (debut)
- Francis (light brown; normal with Green lips)
- Taylor Fishbowl
At Squidward's house, Squidward Tentacles attempts to make a self-portrait when he is interrupted by a song that SpongeBob is singing about how he has an "attitude of gratitude." After Squidward tells SpongeBob to stop, he slips on some spilled paintbrushes, falls down the stairs and through the floor, breaks a plumage pipe, resulting in spewing water. When SpongeBob offers to help, Squidward denies that he needs help and tells SpongeBob not to help him ever again. He tightens the pipe so much that the water can't get through. Squidward then walks off grumpily as he's late for work.At the Krusty Krab, Squidward says "Pardon me!" to a purple fish while entering, then walks to the counter and tells SpongeBob to stop staring at him. He then says he doesn't have time to count them when a fish tries to buy a Krabby Patty for $3 with a huge pile of pennies, comments at a blue fish eating a Krabby Patty tapping his foot on the floor, gets mad with Nat Peterson for holding the door, thinks people are leaving "trash" on the table, insults a frail woman's clattering dentures, and a red fish's tall hat. He even scolds a blue fish for taking too long to eat and another for taking too long in the bathroom. When SpongeBob passes by still singing about his attitude of gratitude, Squidward scolds him to stop. SpongeBob asks whether he has an "attitude of gratitude," but Squidward says that he is the most miserable person in Bikini Bottom and doubts it can get worse. Immediately afterwards, a previously dormant volcano erupts. Everybody in the Krusty Krab evacuates because it is falling to pieces. Mr. Krabs sees no point in trying to run away and demands Squidward's and SpongeBob's life essence after the cash register is destroyed until someone points out the shelter.
In the shelter, the mayor is trying to calm everyone, but they won't stop worrying. When the mayor also thinks that Bikini Bottom is doomed, a mysterious dolphin warrior comes in and says that they must sacrifice the most miserable person. When Squidward goes towards the door, SpongeBob says that they must find the most miserable person, but Squidward mocks him. They then realize Squidward is the most miserable person, so they attempt to sacrifice him. Before they throw him in the volcano alive, SpongeBob offers to be thrown in because he made Squidward miserable. Squidward accidentally falls off a ledge and asks SpongeBob to help him. When SpongeBob reminds him of his promise, Squidward takes it back and SpongeBob saves him. Meanwhile, the pipe at Squidward's house has built up so much water that it sends the house flying, and it falls into the volcano. The dolphin then says that he was going to say that the most miserable person's HOUSE must be sacrificed, and the people are once again calmed; except for Squidward, who now has no roof to sleep under. SpongeBob then lets Squidward sleep under his pineapple.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Prehistoric Feeling - Nicolas Carr [title card]
‣ Hawaiian Slide - Nicolas Carr, Jeremy Wakefield [opening]
• Attitude of Gratitude - Casey Alexander, Derek Iversen, Eban Schletter
‣ Steel Sting (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward falls down the stairs]
‣ Unknown Track 28 - "This is your fault!"
‣ Sailor's Sting 9 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Squidward goes to work]
‣ Cartoon Sting 1 - Squidward complaining
‣ Unknown Track 33 - "SpongeBob, I hate my job."
‣ Hand to Hand Combat 2 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [volcano erupting]
‣ Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield ["Oh, yes, of course, ma'am."]
‣ Action Stations 1 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [volcano shelter]
‣ Chinese Mystery - Nino Nardini ["We've got it under control."]
‣ Steel Licks - Jeremy Wakefield [parking tickets]
‣ African Conflict - Norman Dane [ancient warrior introduced]
‣ Out of the Crypt - Harry Lubin ["I was the only one who knew how to stop it."]
‣ Drama Link (c) - Hubert Clifford ["A sacrifice must be made of the most miserable person."]
‣ Steel Sting (b) - Jeremy Wakefield [everyone arguing]
‣ Prehistoric Feeling - Nicolas Carr [everyone taking Squidward to the volcano]
‣ House of Horror - Larry Hochman [Squidward about to be sacrificed]
‣ Drama Link (o) - Hubert Clifford ["It is I who make Squidward miserable."]
‣ Dramatic Bridge 4 - Phil Green ["SpongeBob, help!"]
‣ Dramatic Cue (b) - Ronald Hanmer ["Please, SpongeBob, I didn't mean any of that!"]
‣ Fates [#61] - Gregor F. Narholz ["I'm grateful for the life I'm living."]
‣ Red Alert [#8] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["Goodbye, everyone!"]
‣ Horror Crash - Harry Lubin [Squidward falls]
‣ Historical Fanfare [#68.02] - Harry Bluestone [SpongeBob rescues Squidward]
‣ Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward's house blowing away to the volcano]
‣ Traveling Along - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
- As of August 19, 2016, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 6.8/10 based on 76 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 7.3/10 based on 78 votes.
- Mr. Krabs calls the cash register "Cashy," once again. The first time he did this was in "SpongeBob SquarePants vs. The Big One." The third time will be in "The Krabby Patty That Ate Bikini Bottom."
- The person who had the recording tape to record Squidward's voice was the same as from what happened in "Boating Buddies" where he did it to SpongeBob.
- This episode first aired with "The Main Drain." Later in a rerun on March 6, 2011, it was paired with "Trenchbillies."
- This is the first time a dolphin in SpongeBob SquarePants actually talks. The second time will be The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water.
- This is the fourth time that Squidward admits that he likes SpongeBob. The first time was in "SB-129," the second was in "Fools in April" and the third was in "Graveyard Shift."
- When SpongeBob asks the mayor about parking tickets, he said he didn't have a car. Boatmobiles are the main transportation, thus SpongeBob should have said he doesn't have a boat. The first time he said car was in The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie and second time is in "Hide and Then What Happens?"
- When a real underwater volcano erupts, it will create islands and sometimes makes tidal waves.
- Squidward also claims that he is miserable in two other Legends of Bikini Bottom episodes titled "Welcome to the Bikini Bottom Triangle" and "The Main Drain."
- This episode premiered eight years after the release of Tales from the Deep, Bikini Bottom Bash!, and Deep Sea Sillies and six years after The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie was released in Spain.
- This episode reveals that Squidward's eyes can change color since it turned blue when he was imitating SpongeBob.
- This is the second time someone uses a tape recorder to prove that Squidward said something that he's denying. The first time was in "Boating Buddies."
- This is the fourth time everyone cheered except for Squidward, the first was "Texas," the second was "Squid Wood," and the third was "Slimy Dancing."
- The Volcano Shelter has a thatched roof, thus it would have burned quicker than the Krusty Krab's wooden roof.
- The volcano is located across the street from the Krusty Krab, which is exactly where the Chum Bucket is supposed to be. Consequently, Plankton, the owner of the Chum Bucket, does not appear in this episode.