"Spin the Bottle" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season eleven. In this episode, Plankton poses as a wish-granting genie in his latest scheme to get the secret formula.
Plankton is dressed up as a genie and has a new Genie Bottle that he is going to break and to make Mr. Krabs think is a real genie bottle so Krabs can take Plankton out and put him in another bottle (the Krabby Patty secret formula). Plankton puts the bottle in front of Mr. Krabs' house so Mr. Krabs can take it to the Krusty Krab. Mr. Krabs kicks the bottle as he reaches out for a newspaper and a cup of coffee.
The bottle rolls all the way over to the Krusty Krab, where SpongeBob is on time to work and Mr. Krabs tells him to throw the bottle out in the trash can. As soon as SpongeBob is about to do so, SpongeBob looks at the bottle and is fascinated by it. He later tells Mr. Krabs that he is going for his lunch break.
SpongeBob then walks to his house while playing with the bottle, which tortures Plankton. Gary is seen watching football on TV, and SpongeBob shows Gary the bottle as he plays with it for a few seconds. As SpongeBob finds out the bottle is magic, he rubs the side of the bottle for a genie to come out. Eventually, Plankton comes out of it, pretending to be a genie, and attempts to trick SpongeBob to take him to the Krusty Krab, while SpongeBob doesn't realize it is actually Plankton.
SpongeBob asks Plankton to make a wish for three of his friends, including Squidward, Patrick, and Mr. Krabs all in order. He knocks on Squidward's door and Squidward wishes for a golden clarinet. Plankton then quickly disappears and is found painting Squidward's original clarinet golden while he isn't looking. Plankton later disappears and Squidward walks up to the clarinet, surprised about that it's gold, not realizing that it actually was just painted a few seconds prior he noticed. He blows the clarinet and tests it out. Squidward is in amusement while Plankton hides in the clarinet. The golden paint on the clarinet doesn't dry out yet, therefore the paint is still on Squidward's lips but he doesn't notice.
Later SpongeBob takes Plankton and the bottle to Patrick as the latter wishes for a friend to talk to while SpongeBob is at work. Plankton then agrees to make Patrick's wish come true and tells both SpongeBob and Patrick to close their eyes. Plankton uses a black marker to roughly draw a face similar to him on Patrick's hand. Patrick is happy with his new friend and names him "Noggin." Patrick tells Noggin to say "hello" to SpongeBob, but Patrick, not knowing it is just a drawing on his hand, gets angry at Noggin as he tells him two more times to say "hello" to SpongeBob, but nothing happens. Patrick lets SpongeBob and Plankton go as he tries to "teach Noggin a lesson" as they both go into Patrick's rock and get in a fight inside as noise is heard from the outside.
Later, SpongeBob takes Plankton and the bottle to the Krusty Krab, where SpongeBob saves Mr. Krabs' wish for last. Mr. Krabs, not believing it at first, ignores it. He later wishes to have one thousand dollars, not knowing that it would work. Plankton then goes to the bank and asks them to withdraw all his money from his bank account. He later brings a stack of money to the Krusty Krab which is likely one thousand dollars. Mr. Krabs thinks it's real and tries to get possess the bottle.
All three of Patrick, Squidward, and Mr. Krabs fight over the bottle, as they believe it is real and all try to possess it so they could get three more wishes. SpongeBob comes up with the idea of spinning the bottle and whoever it lands on, it is theirs. It at first lands on Squidward, but Plankton inside rolls it to the left side to Mr. Krabs. Mr Krabs then wishes for the Krusty Krab to be painted gold. Since Plankton cannot take it anymore, he admits the genie is him all along and can't keep up the charade anymore. The real Genie appears and finds his bottle. He is angry at Plankton that his bottle got damaged while under his care, but Plankton cared less. Squidward and Patrick come in and tried to claim the bottle is theirs.
The genie is outraged at their greed and sees that they have desecrated the great spirit of the bottle. As punishment, he shrinks Squidward, Patrick, Mr. Krabs, and Plankton, and traps them in another bottle with his magical powers. The genie disappears with his bottle just as SpongeBob throws away the bottle that contains his friends, thinking it is spoiled ketchup.
This episode was confirmed by Vincent Waller on May 11, 2017.
‣ Oriental Juggler
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
- Victor Cavini [Title card.]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr [Karen sees a bottle.]
‣ ? [Plankton emerges from the bottle disguised as a genie.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I wish you back in the bottle."]
‣ Arabian Bazaar - Gregor Narholz [Plankton explains his new plan to steal the Krabby Patty formula to Karen.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (e) - Jeremy Wakefield [Karen stuffs Plankton into the bottle.]
‣ Sailor's Sting 10 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Mr. Krabs opens the door of his house.]
‣ Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Mr. Krabs kicks the bottle away.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield ["And a good morning to you, Mr. Krabs."]
‣ Unknown Track 21 - "Whoa, it's so pretty!"
‣ Marching Comedians (a) - Otto Sieben, Peter Balding [SpongeBob takes the bottle to his house.]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer [SpongeBob discovers that the bottle has a genie inside.]
‣ ? ["Alakazam! I am the genie of the bottle!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (l) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Oh, yeah!"]
‣ Oriental - Aubrey Johnson [SpongeBob tells the genie to grant three wishes to his friends.]
‣ Seaweed - Steve Belfer [Squidward asks a wish to the genie.]
‣ ? ["Your wish is my command.]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Huh?"]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (VIII) - Jeremy Wakefield [Plankton paints Squidward's clarinet gold.]
‣ Unknown Track 38 - "I'll be an ocean monkey's uncle!"
‣ More Oboe [#48] - Michael Hoppe, Christopher Bleth [Squidward playing clarinet.]
‣ Unknown Track 21 - "Oh, magic is real!"
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (l) - Jeremy Wakefield [Plankton comes back outside.]
‣ Unknown Track 38 - Plankton suggests Mr. Krabs.
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (V) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Oh, for cod's sake."]
‣ Holiday Playtime - Cedric Palmer [Patrick asks a wish to the genie.]
‣ Harem Harry - Bernard Ebbinghouse ["All right, your crummy wish is my command!"]
‣ Goblin Ballet - Ernest Tomlinson [Face drawn on Patrick's hand.]
‣ Lazybones - Xavier Edmunds, Zoltan Biscotti [SpongeBob gives his last wish to Mr. Krabs.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (h) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob starts to cry and Mr. Krabs asks for a wish.]
‣ ? ["Your wish is my command!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [Plankton takes all his money from the bank.]
‣ Shock Headed Peter - Ronald Hanmer [Krabs, Squidward and Patrick want the bottle to ask wishes to the genie.]
‣ Arnold is Back 1 - Gregor Narholz ["You hand me that bottle!"]
‣ Christmas Fantasy - Gregor Narholz [SpongeBob says they shouldn't be fighting.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (I) - Jeremy Wakefield ["We're gonna play a little game called spin the bottle."]
‣ Merry as a Grig - Van Phillips [SpongeBob, Patrick, Mr. Krabs, and Squidward playing spin the bottle.]
‣ Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Mr. Krabs shaking the bottle.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (j) - Jeremy Wakefield [Plankton oozes out of the bottle.]
‣ Saltwater Works - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Plankton gives up on his plan.]
‣ Islam - Laurie Johnson [A real genie appears.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (m) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Who's this clod with my bottle?"]
‣ Middle East Mosaic - Gilbert Vinter [Genie stuffs Patrick, Squidward, Mr. Krabs, and Plankton in a ketchup bottle.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (h) - Jeremy Wakefield [Genie kisses his bottle and takes it.]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Hmm?"]
‣ Puka B - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["It's so heartwarming to live in a world with real magic."]
‣ Kalua Jubilee - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Ending.]
According to the rough storyboard version, there was originally supposed to be a scene where SpongeBob found the bottle, thinking that it was water, and almost swallowed Plankton.
|| I can turn into a skyscraper!
This section is too short. You can help the Encyclopedia SpongeBobia by expanding
- As of February 8, 2018, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 9.5/10 based on 169 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 9.1/10 based on 4 votes.
- Along with "Sportz?," this episode premiered before the 2017 Kids' Choice Sports Awards.
- Along with "Sportz?," this episode premiered on Will Ferrell's 50th birthday, nine years after "MuscleBob BuffPants," "Squidward the Unfriendly Ghost," "The Chaperone," and "Employee of the Month" premiered in Poland, and two years after "Lost in Bikini Bottom" and "Tutor Sauce" premiered.
- This is the third episode to premiere before Kids' Choice Sports Awards. The first two were "Lost in Bikini Bottom" and "Tutor Sauce."
- The original U.S. airing doesn't have the intro; instead it has live coverage of the Orange Carpet to the 2017 Kids Choice Sports.
- There are 46 genie bottles on the title card.
- The sports channel from "Your Shoe's Untied" and "The Sponge Who Could Fly" reappears in this episode on SpongeBob's TV.
- The headline of the newspaper that Mr. Krabs is reading that reads, "School drop out rate soars" is a reference to "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy."
- This episode reveals that Thaddeus lives on Anchor Way.
- This episode takes place after "Wishing You Well" and "Shanghaied" as Squidward and Mr. Krabs believe in magic here while in those episodes they didn't or were skeptical. However, their beliefs are presumably solidified when seeing an actual genie before them.
- The bottles in the title card appear to be pixelated.
- When this episode first aired, some TV Guides listed this episode with "There's a Sponge in My Soup," even though that episode had not yet been released.
- In addition, the credits to said episode can be found on the Nick.com print of this episode.
- This is the first episode where a character vomits on-screen.
- The answers to the word search Mr. Krabs had are "Bucks," "Cent," "Cash," "Money," "Coin," and "Dough."
- This episode takes place after "Band Geeks" because while Plankton helps Squidward play his "golden" (yellow) clarinet, he says "Good thing I spent that last summer in evil band camp!"
- In addition, he plays the harmonica in that episode by running to the holes and blowing into them, and in this episode, he runs to the holes in the clarinet and plugs them up while Squidward plays.
- This episode, along with "There's a Sponge In My Soup," "No Pictures Please," "Stuck on the Roof," "Krabby Patty Creature Feature," "Teacher's Pests," "Squid Noir," "Scavenger Pants," "Cuddle E. Hugs," and "Pat the Horse," premiered in Canada on December 26, 2017 as part of the SpongeBoxing day Festival.
- This is the first usage of the APM track Arnold is Back since "Mrs. Puff, You're Fired."
- This episode takes place before "Bottle Burglars," because in said episode Plankton dresses as the same genie as he does in this episode.
- SpongeBob mentions the episode's title when he says, "We're gonna play a little game called Spin The Bottle!"
- The title of this episode is a reference to the game spin the bottle.
- The genie has a few similarities to Genie from the 1992 film Aladdin.
- The phrase "for cod's sake" is a play on the blasphemous phrase "for god's sake."
- SpongeBob quotes "Friendship is magical too," possibly a reference to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.
- Plankton's quote "Izzy Wizzy Let's Get Busy!" is a popular catchphrase from the UK character Sooty.