"Slimy Dancing" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season five. In this episode, Squidward, SpongeBob and Patrick participate in a dance contest.
Squidward makes a trophy case. SpongeBob and Patrick make it to the finals of the Bikini Bottom Dance-A-Thon competition while Squidward's confidence for the win is crushed when he fails to proceed to the finals, and is subsequently banned for life from the contest (and booted out of the building) when he tries to steal the trophy. Squidward's desire to win coaxes him to be the coach for SpongeBob and Patrick. Squidward wanted to see SpongeBob and Patrick's dance moves, but Patrick ends up with a butt cramp after trying to pass the limbo stick. He ends up rolling around in pain, and Squidward lets him roll out the door. Squidward asks for SpongeBob's moves, but all he has is wiggling his arms, going around and laughing. Squidward soon finds himself inside SpongeBob, which gives him an idea: Squidward gets inside of SpongeBob and controls the dancing.
On the night of the big competition, lots of people come, as well as a coin dancer who wows the crowd and ends with a high rating. SpongeBob thinks he cannot compete against that, but Squidward thinks different. When SpongeBob's up, Squidward dances, but the crowd is not enjoying it. Soon Squidward gets a cramp in some of his tentacles, causing him to scream in pain and hold it whilst hopping around. Soon, the crowd leaves, and Fred is the last to leave. But after catching a glimpse of Squidward reacting to his cramp, he begins to call the crowd back. In pain from the cramp, Squidward has to pull up his knee, making SpongeBob question if this is part of the act. Soon enough Squidward's remaining tentacles get cramped too, causing Squidward to pull that knee up too, and hold them in pain, causing SpongeBob with no arms or legs, to fall over. The crowd actually applauds at the end, which leads to SpongeBob and Squidward getting the trophy. SpongeBob pops out his arms and legs and begins to take the trophy, but Squidward beats him to it, causing him to have to swallow the trophy to get to Squidward. SpongeBob then says he could not have done it without Squidward, and pulls Squidward out of him, revealing that partnered dancers are disqualified. The trophy is confiscated from Squidward, and it turns out that literally everyone was partnered, even the coin dancer (he had someone named Pedro hidden in his hair, and he had something that popped out coins). The only individual dancer in the contest is number 52, which is indeed Patrick who also got a real cramp like Squidward did, winning him the trophy. SpongeBob says he is impressed with Patrick's new dance, whence Patrick screams before saying "Thanks."
In the epilogue, Sadie comes into her son Tommy's room to find him doing the cramp dance, but Sadie thought he was hurt. She calls 911, but Tommy gets up and tells his mom that he is doing the cramp. Sadie laughs about kids' "crazy dance fads," and soon SpongeBob, Squidward, Mr. Krabs, and Patrick show up. Everyone does the cramp, ending the episode.
‣ Earl's Revenge
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
- Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
‣ Soljering On - Sammy Burdson, Jean-Claude Madonne [dance training]
‣ Crime Squad - John Cameron ["It's time to go get it!"]
‣ Tympup (a) - Sammy Burdson, John Charles Fiddy [Squidward runs into limbo pole]
‣ Palm Limbo II - Victor Cavini* ["Want to give me a ruling, SpongeBob?"]
‣ Parting of the Clouds - Nicolas Carr [Squidward's trophy case]
‣ Steel Sting (a) - Jeremy Wakefield ["You are a true friend."]
‣ Vivat Regina - Laurie Johnson ["I am going forth to meet my destiny."]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [Squidward runs into the limbo pole again]
‣ Dance Floor - Dave Arch, David Arnold, Simon David Chamberlain [dance tryouts]
‣ Comic Walk - Sidney Torch ["If those two nitwits made it, then I'm a shoo-in."]
‣ Flying Rhythm - Patrice Sciortino [Squidward auditions]
‣ Weeping Willow - Patrice Sciortino [Squidward auditions]
‣ Wooden Bear - Gil Flat, Tony Tape, Florian Voelxen ["You didn't make the cut."]
‣ Steel Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward crying]
‣ Tympup (a) - Sammy Burdson, John Charles Fiddy [Squidward runs into the limbo pole]
‣ Steel Licks (d) - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward cries again]
‣ Tomfoolery - David Snell [Patrick gets a cramp]
‣ Palm Limbo II - Victor Cavini* [SpongeBob dances]
‣ Goofy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Dancing isn't supposed to be fun."]
‣ Ballett Walzer (Ballet Waltz) - Norbert Pawlicki [ballet music]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford ["Where am I?"]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Wait a minute."]
‣ Ballett Walzer (Ballet Waltz) - Norbert Pawlicki [ballet music]
‣ Comic Walk - Sidney Torch [Squidward in SpongeBob's body]
‣ Coppelia Ballet Suite - Mazurka - George Wilson, Leo Clement Delibes [dance recital]
‣ The Circus Comes to Town! - Dick Stephen Walter [whale balancing act]
‣ ? [seahorse]
‣ Sabre Dance - Aram Khachaturian [guy does coin tricks]
‣ Open and End Fanfare - Nino Nardini [SpongeBob announced]
‣ Flying Rhythm - Patrice Sciortino [SpongeBob/Squidward's act]
‣ Weeping Willow - Patrice Sciortino [SpongeBob/Squidward's act]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill [audience leaves]
‣ Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward gets a cramp]
‣ Once Upon a Dream - Clive Richardson [everyone cheers]
‣ Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward revealed]
‣ Dramatic Impact 3 - Ivor Slaney [quarter guy cheated]
‣ Steel Sting (b) - Jeremy Wakefield [everyone else cheated]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer [trophy awarded to Patrick]
‣ Saxaboogie - Harry Bluestone [epilogue]
‣ Dramatic Impact 5 - Ivor Slaney [woman screams]
‣ From the Dead - Ronald Hanmer [woman calls 911]
‣ Holiday Playtime - Cedric King-Palmer ["I'm just doing the cramp."]
‣ Saxaboogie - Harry Bluestone [Ending]
- As of July 31, 2018, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 7.1/10 based on 208 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 7.9/10 based on 110 votes.
- Although this episode premiered in 2007, it was made in 2006 according to the credits.
- This episode aired in Germany on June 14, 2007, before it aired in the USA.
- There are 10 dancing footsteps on the title card.
- In "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy IV" and various other episodes, when the inside of SpongeBob is seen, his inside is brown and he has organs, intestines, a stomach, a heart, lungs, a brain, etc. However, in this episode, when Squidward was inside SpongeBob, the inside was empty and not brown and SpongeBob was somehow still alive without organs.
- When Squidward says to SpongeBob, "You have two left feet," SpongeBob's feet pop out and shows Squidward he's right. This might be a reference to the episode, "Neptune's Spatula" where SpongeBob says he has two left hands.
- When Squidward was teaching SpongeBob to dance his way, Squidward asks SpongeBob to give him his arms, and Squidward takes them, SpongeBob's sleeves aren't on the arm. When they pull out, and Squidward puts his arms in SpongeBob's arms place, the sleeves aren't there or on the arm.
- During the auditions, SpongeBob and Patrick partnered up, but they're not supposed to be partnered up in the competition according to the end of the episode.
- The order of contestants during the Final Dance Contest (before the awarding of the trophy):
- A whale holding a ball in a tutu
- A costumed seahorse
- Coin dancer
- SpongeBob and Squidward
- When Squidward starts getting the cramp, a dolphin chirp is heard. This is probably because he is swearing. This is the second time dolphin chirping was used for censorship over swearing. The first episode to involve dolphin chirping is "Sailor Mouth."
- This episode marks the second time Patrick gets a butt cramp. The first is in "SpongeGuard on Duty."
- When one dancer says "We're nine dancers, actually," there are only six seen on his leg, so including the big dancer, they were seven dancers. Although there could have been more on the backsides of his legs.
- When everyone is cheering because Patrick won the competition, a cephalopod from the episode "Cephalopod Lodge" can be seen.
- This is the first episode to contain an epilogue.
- This episode marks the second time SpongeBob and Squidward are called "SquidBob" and they get morphed together. The first was "SquidBob TentaclePants."
- This episode marks the third time everyone cheers except for Squidward. The first is in "Texas" and the second is in "Squid Wood."
- This episode premiered eight years after "Jellyfishing" and "Plankton!"
- During the November 7, 2015 airing, this episode segment played before "Money Talks" and "SpongeBob vs. The Patty Gadget."
- The card for the epilogue has the same layout as the title card for "Boat Smarts."
- This episode is similar to The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius episode, "Maximum Hugh," in that all the competitors in a competition were disqualified for cheating, except for one, shown to be the worst performer.
- When the guy who was performing the coin trick was playing his trick, the "Saber Dance" music is playing. The Saber Dance is the theme to the Buffalo Sabres, a hockey team in Buffalo, New York.
- When Squidward waits to audition, he is seen sitting next to dancers 41 and 65, but when SpongeBob and Patrick come up, the dancers are gone.
- Contestant 41 is in the tryout room when she should have left already before contestants 51 and 52 were called.
- When SpongeBob spins for the competition, the background curtains don't seem to move.
- When Squidward says "plié, relevé, jeté", the É character in the closed captions may not display correctly on older TV sets that do not support the extended closed caption character set.
- When Squidward and SpongeBob are done with their dance, SpongeBob's legs grow back. When SpongeBob gave his legs to Squidward, he is seen barefoot, but when they come back, his shoes and socks are seen on.
- Since no partners are allowed, the horse should not have made it to the finals since horse costumes always require two people.
- SpongeBob's and Patrick's original act, the limbo dance, should not have made it either.
- Norma wears a light purple dress in the crowd. In the epilogue, her dress is magenta. Also, she has no idea what her son is doing in the epilogue, even though she watched the competition.
- When Norma dials 911 in the epilogue, she presses "8-1-1" instead.
- Squidward keeps running into the limbo stick that SpongeBob and Patrick are holding.
- At a scene where Squidward leaves his house to go to the audition, you can see both SpongeBob and Patrick standing still without the pole while Squidward slightly passes them and gets hit by it off-screen.