"Slide Whistle Stooges" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season six. In this episode, SpongeBob, Patrick, and Squidward play with slide whistles.
SpongeBob and Patrick get new slide whistles and are constantly playing them, even outside of Squidward's house, much to the annoyance of Squidward. He becomes increasingly annoyed as they use the slide whistles as sound effects for everything he does. He eventually has enough of it and flees his house. This results in SpongeBob and Patrick following him, thinking that he is finally playing with them and ignoring his cries to leave him alone.
He has finally had enough of it and snaps. He forcefully grabs SpongeBob's slide whistle and uses it against the two. SpongeBob says that he has an equally better ear for music and soon buys one himself.
Squidward then becomes obsessive over it and proceeds to play it around town: first, he scares Dennis out of his wits as Dennis thinks he is being annoyed by ghosts. Soon after, Squidward impersonates a baby and scares Sadie out of her wits, making her see Squidward as a "baby assaulter," resulting in the annoyance of many people.
Soon, the Bikini Bottomites form an angry mob and end on the warpath against Squidward. Squidward manages to take control over a gasoline tanker truck, destroys the Chum Bucket and the Krusty Krab all at once, jumps over a row of boatmobiles through a ring of fire, and drives away from the mob thinking he has escaped. Squidward says that he does not want to stop, but SpongeBob and Patrick appear and (driving a boat) ask if he is sure he does not want to.
Squidward quickly notices that SpongeBob was trying to warn him that a cliff was ahead but there is nothing Squidward can do now that he's closer to it. SpongeBob and Patrick stop just in time but the gasoline tanker truck keeps going and falls off the cliff, causing it to explode, much to the joy of the town as they see that Squidward is finally stopped. At the hospital, the whistle is stuck in his throat and since no one at the hospital has the technology to remove it and it is the only way he can communicate, so they leave it on Squidward. SpongeBob and Patrick then play around the hospital with the whistles, as the episode comes to an end.
‣ Slide Whistle Song
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
- Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
‣ Skipping to School - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [opening]
‣ Shellfish Behavior - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["We're slide whistling."]
‣ Hawaiian Adventures SpongeBob Theme - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Twice as many slide whistles!"]
‣ Twelfth Street Rag - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward annoyed by SpongeBob, Patrick's slide whistling]
‣ Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["I got to get out of here!"]
‣ Slide Whistle Song - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Look, Patrick, Squidward's finally playing along."]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [Squidward takes SpongeBob's slide whistle]
‣ Slide Whistle Song - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward playing the slide whistle]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr ["I do?"]
‣ Slide Whistle Song - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob, Patrick, Squidward playing slide whistles]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Patrick, are you thinking what I'm thinking?"]
‣ Slide Whistle Song - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward touching the whistle]
‣ Unknown Track 32 - "Oh, honey, I'm so sorry."
‣ Unknown Track 43 - "Can I help you?"
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["She's not lying."]
‣ Deeply Moving Experience - Gerhard Trede [angry mob chases Squidward]
‣ Dramatic Sea Battle - Gerhard Trede ["What do you make of it, sarge?"]
‣ Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [cops arrive]
‣ Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Would you like some more?"]
‣ Clownfish Capers - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward destroys places while driving with a slide whistle]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford [cliff]
‣ Wahini Wobble - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward in the hospital]
‣ Slide Whistle Song - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
- This episode is number 6 on Tom Kenny's Top 20 on iTunes. His description says:
- "SpongeBob and Patrick drive Squidward nuts with their new slide whistles. I'm a sucker for any episode where a tiny thing gets on Squidward's nerves until he snaps. (Roger [sic] Bumpass is great at vocalizing Squidward’s 'losing it.')"
- As of August 14, 2016, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 4.7/10 based on 197 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 4.9/10 based on 178 votes.
- The title card background is SpongeBob's bedroom wall.
- In this episode, Shubie has Evelyn's colors, except for Evelyn's shoes.
- This episode aired in a few countries before it aired in the USA.
- This episode premiered three years after "Dunces and Dragons" premiered in Australia.
- In one airing, this episode was paired up with "Cephalopod Lodge."
- Squidward breaks the fourth wall by hiding himself with his robe from viewers, even though he alone is at home.
- After the woman yells "Baby assaulter!," there comes a yelling crowd and someone yells "Assault your own baby!"
- This episode reveals the name of the light brown muscular fish with squinting eyes: Frank.
- This is the first episode where the Chum Bucket appears without Plankton.
- This is the second episode where Patrick is seen driving. The first is "Driven to Tears."
- Mr. Krabs makes a cameo in this episode crying after Squidward used the truck to crash into the Krusty Krab. This is his second cameo appearance in the series. The first was a non-speaking cameo in "Gary Takes a Bath."
- Ιn the Greek dub, this episode is called "Η σφυρίχτρα," which translates to "The Slide Whistle."
- In the Polish dub, this episode is called "Żart z gwizdkiem," which translates to "A Joke with Whistle."
- Irony: Everyone hates Squidward, but nobody hates Spongebob and Patrick.
- The sound of the slide whistles follow the background music at some points.
- This episode was most likely finished around April-May 2008 as it was seen in a Nickelodeon USA Promo in June 2008 featuring 5 brand new SpongeBob episodes, although this episode was in the promo, it never actually aired.
- This is the first episode where Shellfish Behavior plays.
- The title is a pun on The Three Stooges.
- When the police officer is attacked by the worms, he says "I'm supposed to retire this week!" This is a reference to the captain of the RMS Titanic, Edward J. Smith, when he died on the voyage before he was supposed to retire.
- The scene with Squidward in the truck falling off the hill and people cheering is a reference to the 1971 movie Duel, where the truck driver falls off the hill and the protagonist starts cheering.
- When Squidward falls off the cliff, in an explosion, SpongeBob and Patrick play the funeral march on their slide whistles.
- At the beginning of the episode when Squidward is bathing, the water is black then turns blue.
- When Squidward finds SpongeBob and Patrick under the mat, SpongeBob's socks are gone.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick are explaining slide whistles to Squidward near the beginning, Patrick looks (very slightly) off.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick jump into the paintings, when they fly out, one of the paintings of Squidward's eyes change colors.
- Frank says that Squidward lives on Conch Drive when he actually lives on Conch Street.
- The driver of the truck spits his coffee near an air vent. Later, the coffee and the vent are gone when Squidward drives it.
- When Squidward gets in the driver's seat of the truck and takes the wheel, the wheel goes the opposite way he is turning it.
- When Squidward drives through the Krusty Krab, the kitchen, bathrooms, freezer, and Mr. Krabs' office cannot be seen.
- When Squidward is first driving the truck, his feet are on the wheel, but his hands are on the slide whistle, so the truck shouldn't be moving.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick drive the boat to the cliff, after the explosion, the scene changes and the boat is gone.
- They probably got out of the boat.
- The Purple Doctorfish says that they do not have the "technology" to remove the slide whistle from Squidward's throat while the whistle is only hanging from his throat by the tip.
- Even if the slide whistle was stuck in Squidward's throat, it would be a fairly simple operation. All that would need to be done is cut him open, remove the slide whistle, and stitch him back up afterwards.
- Sadie first appears in orange in this episode but is yellow in later scenes.
- Mr. Krabs is never credited even though he has lines in this episode.