Shuffleboarding" is a episode from SpongeBob SquarePants season six. In this episode, SpongeBob and Patrick pretend to be their heroes at a shuffleboarding contest, but get sidetracked on the way home.
Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy are watching TV in
Shady Shoals, when SpongeBob and Patrick suddenly appear and wake them up. Mermaid Man attacks SpongeBob with the "Mermerang," thinking he is a supervillain. In the resulting incident (caused by SpongeBob and Patrick), Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy are injured and sent to the hospital.
While SpongeBob and Patrick go to the hospital to visit them, Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy receive a call from the police commissioner, telling them that they will be celebrity guest contestants at the Bikini Bottom shuffleboarding competition. They are unable to attend in their condition, but SpongeBob then says both he and Patrick are certified Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy impersonators. They are given rings which produce rubber Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy costumes, and are told to immediately return them after the tournament.
After they win the shuffleboarding contest, they go to return the costumes, but Patrick convinces SpongeBob that if they do not save the town from evil, no one will. They begin throwing everyone they see in jail for completely unjustified reasons (including throwing away a Krabby Patty, chewing gum too loudly, and being "too old"). Eventually, they have arrested nearly everyone in Bikini Bottom, and decide to return the costumes. However, they see Man Ray entering a laundromat, and despite the fact that he is doing absolutely nothing wrong, they follow him in and arrest him after a fight scene, involving throwing Man Ray's head in the dryer, causing it to shrink. The jail is now so full of people that it literally explodes, causing people to fall down from the sky.
SpongeBob and Patrick return the costumes, and Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy leave the hospital, but are confronted by an angry mob of the people SpongeBob and Patrick wrongfully arrested, who start chasing them and SpongeBob and Patrick confuse them for fans.
( Associated production music ‣ )
( Original music • )
( SpongeBob music ◦ )
‣ Clownfish Capers - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
‣ Life on the Wild Side - Sam Spence [opening]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill [Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy fall asleep]
‣ Skipping to School - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob and Patrick appear]
‣ Dramatic Impact 5 - Ivor Slaney [Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy scream]
‣ Arizona Fanfare - Jack Shaindlin [Mermerang]
‣ Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob hit with Mermerang]
‣ Unknown Track 45 - Nicolas Carr ["It's so awesome!"]
‣ Drama Link (g) - Hubert Clifford ["Keep on your guard, Barnacle Boy."]
‣ Alekoki - Kapono Beamer ["Those aren't supervillains."]
‣ Police Car - Sam Spence [PANIC!]
‣ The Lineman - Sam Spence [runaway Mermerang]
? ‣ ["Hi... how you feeling?"]
‣ Cartoon Sting 1 - Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy in the hospital
‣ The Mob - Sam Spence [Mermaphone rings]
‣ Hello Blues - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Patrick, I could do it!"]
‣ Arizona Fanfare - Jack Shaindlin [rings]
‣ Deadline - Sam Spence [SpongeBob and Patrick in costume]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr ["Shuffleboarding, shuffleboarding, shuffleboarding!"]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob stops]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer ["Out of the way, Gramps!"]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [Patrick's trophy]
‣ Deadline - Sam Spence [SpongeBob remembers what Barnacle Boy said]
‣ Dramatic Impact 5 - Ivor Slaney ["Patrick, stop!"]
‣ Seaweed - Steve Belfer ["For Neptune's sake, SpongeBob!"]
? ‣ [kiddy ride]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Their mommies?"]
‣ Steel Link (b) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Let's take 'em to the slammer!"]
‣ People's Court - Alan Stanley Tew [kids locked up]
‣ Cartoon Sting 2 - warden throws away a Krabby Patty
‣ Cellar Search - Philippe Pares [SpongeBob screams]
‣ Steel Licks - Jeremy Wakefield ["I'm full."]
‣ People's Court - Alan Stanley Tew [warden locked up]
‣ The Lineman - Sam Spence [SpongeBob and Patrick throwing people in jail]
‣ Zelle 503 - Gerhard Trede [SpongeBob sees Man Ray]
‣ Guaracha Senorita - Heide Pehofer [Man Ray doing laundry]
‣ Hit and Run - Sam Spence [SpongeBob attacks Man Ray]
‣ Steel Sting (b) - Jeremy Wakefield [Man Ray's shrunken head]
‣ Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [jail explodes]
‣ Steel Sting (e) - Jeremy Wakefield [back at the hospital]
‣ Wahini Wobble - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [costumes returned]
‣ Slide Whistle Song - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
I can turn into a skyscraper!
This section is too short. You can help the Encyclopedia SpongeBobia by
The title card is similar to " Artist Unknown" and " Spongicus," except it's in gold.
Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy broke the fourth wall when they introduced themselves to the audience.
SpongeBob and Patrick are certified Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy impersonators, which was unknown before this episode.
This is one of the times that SpongeBob and Patrick dress up as Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy.
This is one of few episodes where SpongeBob and Patrick broke the law. The law they broke was False Arrest (that means arresting innocent people for nothing bad).
The first time he broke the law was reckless driving in "Boating Buddies" and " Doing Time," and cause in panic in " Hall Monitor."
Oddly, SpongeBob does not have any fears about breaking the law. Most likely because he does not know what he is doing or is stupid.
In " Life of Crime," SpongeBob and Patrick were scared of getting caught after taking the balloon, then cries in tears after confessing to the police that they did steal the balloon.
Reasons for the people being fake-arrested:
Riding a store electric horse
They thought the kids were loitering.
Throwing out and wasting a Krabby Patty
This hurts SpongeBob's feelings really bad, since he worked so hard making those Krabby Patties.
Chewing too loud
Patrick should just tell him to just stop chewing his gum so loudly.
SpongeBob should have just reminded him to tie his shoe or helped him.
Being too old
The old lady should just be in a retirement home instead of jail.
Being a (retired) Villain
They arrested him for being a retired villain.
Being friends with a villain
Mable was friends with Man Ray and had no reason for arresting her.
Granny from " Have You Seen This Snail?" makes a cameo appearance in this episode, where she is arrested for being "too old."
Even though shuffle-boarding was mentioned on numerous occasions and is the title of the episode, there was no shuffle-boarding shown at all in this episode.
They did go to a shuffleboard competition off-screen, so that is how they decided to act as Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy.
Man Ray never attacked SpongeBob and Patrick at the Laundromat until they attacked him.
MY LEG: The jail explodes and all the Bikini Bottomites fall down.
This is the first episode to premiere in 2009.
This episode premiered three years after " Dunces and Dragons" premiered in Australia.
During a tribute to Ernest Borgnine, this episode was skipped for some reason.
This is the 25th episode appearance of Lenny and Sylvester.
When Mermaid Man picks up the phone, the Commissioner's voice sounds similar to any adult speaking in Charles Schulz's popular .
Pilar's arms are much shorter in this episode than any other episode he has appeared in.
When SpongeBob was turning the dryer to the "Shrink" setting, his arm was colored orange instead of yellow.
As SpongeBob and Patrick walk away from the prison, just as it is about to explode, they suddenly disappear out of the screen, rather than gradually disappear, like in other episodes.
If one would look closely, when the people fall down, a fish with red pants disappears (after landing on the ground).
When the citizens and even Man Ray chase after Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy at first, the sky is blue, but later as the episode ends, it is sunset.