"Sentimental Sponge" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season eight. In this episode, SpongeBob struggles to part with some items because of the memories they evoke.
It is spring cleaning day, and SpongeBob works diligently on his house. When he takes out his garbage, Patrick reprimands him for letting go of all these sentimental items and saying they still have values to them.
After pondering the concept, SpongeBob agrees and fights the garbage truck's claw for his trash.
The next day at the Krusty Krab, SpongeBob begins collecting random items such as mayonnaise, sweat, ketchup packets, gum from under the tables, grill grease, chewed-up bendy straws, and order tickets. Soon, he becomes a hoarder. But he runs out of the room and starts piling it in his front yard. But Squidward starts to get annoyed by it and tells him that he has to throw away his "junk." SpongeBob tells him that he cannot because they hold too many memories, but is unaware he is hoarding.
Squidward then calls the sanitation police. They condemn the house because it is filled with junk and that he is a "threat to public health." They tell him he has to evacuate the pineapple immediately.
Squidward is happy until they condemn his house for being filled with SpongeBob's "junk." When SpongeBob asks the police if there is anything he can do, they tell him his choices: he evacuates the pineapple or throw away his "junk."
SpongeBob decides to throw them away but he takes pictures of everything first. Squidward is then happy again and plans to go back to bed. But he discovers that SpongeBob took so many pictures that he put some of his pictures in Squidward's house, without Squidward's permission, and all the pictures flood Patrick, Squidward, and SpongeBob's front yards.
The episode ends with Patrick saying, "Nice dress," with Squidward yelling, "It's a night shirt!"
Production for the episode and its sister one finished on January 10, 2011.
‣ Unknown Track 2
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
- Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
‣ Aloha Oe - Hans Haider, Queen Lili'uokalani [opening]
‣ SpongeBob History Song - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob cleaning his house]
‣ Dramatic Impact 6 - Ivor Slaney ["It's spring cleaning day?!"]
‣ Unknown Track 3 - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick runs home]
‣ Skipping to School - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick cleaning his bellybutton]
‣ The Pollywog Strut - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["You're throwing this away?!"/"You're throwing away Pete!?"]
‣ Unknown Track 33 - "You can't part with a keepsake!"
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Hmm... maybe Patrick's right."]
‣ Epic Adventure - Dick Stephen Walter [garbage truck arrives]
‣ Aloha Bikini Bottom - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Welcome home, precious memories."]
‣ Sailor's Sting 1 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [at the Krusty Krab]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr ["Oh, perfect."]
‣ Sailor's Sting 7 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [jar of sweat]
‣ Unknown Track 57 - SpongeBob's house full of junk
‣ Cartoon Sting 2 - "Hey, Gary."
‣ Steel Sting (b) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Like the front yard!"]
‣ Solo Steel - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward wakes up]
‣ Befuddled - Pat Irwin [tons of junk in front yard]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Why are you wearing garbage?"]
‣ Befuddled - Pat Irwin ["Thanks for noticing, Squidward."/"These things aren't junk! They're my friends!"]
‣ Steel Sting (r) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Oh, we had some great times together."]
‣ Unknown Track 35 - Pat Irwin ["Touching."]
‣ Bikini Bottom Police - Nicolas Carr [cops]
‣ Steel Sting - Jeremy Wakefield ["Hi!"]
‣ Bikini Bottom Police - Nicolas Carr ["Thanks for the information, citizen."/]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Vacate?"]
‣ Bikini Bottom Police - Nicolas Carr ["Thank you again, officers!"/"It's as filthy as your neighbor's."/"Ma'am? It's a nightshirt!"]
‣ Sanitation Police Theme - Nicolas Carr [sting when cops leave]
‣ Solo Steel - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob cries/"...remember my precious little babies!"]
‣ The Mad Hatter's Ball - Syd Dale [SpongeBob taking pictures]
‣ South Pacific Island II - Victor Cavini [junk removal]
‣ Tipsy Turvy - Phil Green ["I'm going back to bed."]
‣ Unknown Track 2 - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
As of September 30, 2017, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 7.4/10 based on 34 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 6.6/10 based on 7 votes.
- Running gag: Someone commenting about Squidward's night shirt being a dress, only to be corrected by him.
- One of the things that can be seen in the pile of garbage at Patrick's house is a table from the Krusty Krab.
- This episode did not appear on demand until December 2013.
- The one sanitation police officer talks mostly into a megaphone. He only speaks without it when he tells Squidward that his house ws as filthy as SpongeBob's.
- This episode premiered on the day of the 2011 Kids' Choice Awards.
- In this episode, SpongeBob is considered a hoarder, which is an actual problem in the real world.
- This episode premiered on Martin Olson's 59th birthday and six years after "Nickelodeon Blimp" premiered.
- SpongeBob's wringer is briefly seen in the shot of his bathroom. This marks the first appearance of his wringer since "Stuck in the Wringer."
- Sentimental value is a non-monetary value placed on an item by its owner. The episode's title is based on this phrase.
- This episode is similar to many "hoarder" shows, such as the A&E series Hoarders.
- After the Sanitation Police leave, Alfred the Lightbulb is gone.
- This can be tricky to tell because SpongeBob never turned to his left after he stuck Al in his pore.
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found