"Sanitation Insanity" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season eleven. In this episode, when Mr. Krabs gets in trouble for littering, he makes SpongeBob and Squidward clean up Bikini Bottom.
Mr. Krabs has a giant garbage bag in the Krusty Krab, and SpongeBob and Squidward's job is to push all of the garbage into the bag. The bag becomes heavy, and when one of the customers throws a cup inside of it, it explodes from the impact, causing Bikini Bottom to be covered in piles of filth.
They are then visited by garbage inspectors. They sentence Mr. Krabs to clean up all of the garbage, but Mr. Krabs forces SpongeBob and Squidward to do it for him. Squidward tells Mr. Krabs that he should do it because he was sentenced, not them. However, Mr. Krabs insists, but Squidward still claims that he resents it, to which Mr. Krabs replies he's "cool with that."
The two then set out in a garbage truck supplied by the garbage inspectors. Squidward starts out driving the truck, but sees that SpongeBob is having a better time on the back of the truck. Squidward then rides on the back, but SpongeBob is driving recklessly. Squidward tells him to watch where he's going, but SpongeBob tells him that he isn't driving because he doesn't have a license. A car salesman tried to sell a car, but SpongeBob and Squidward crash into it. The salesman tries to sell another, but the truck crashes into the car again. The car salesman tries to sell the remaining vehicles, but they crash into them.
Later, the truck finally comes to a stop, and SpongeBob and Squidward start picking up garbage. SpongeBob finds an old doll and says that they should keep it in the truck as a mascot. Squidward throws the doll in the truck and sits back. The doll starts to speak, but later tells Squidward that it wants to destroy him. Squidward freaks out and throws the doll out of the truck, and SpongeBob throws more garbage away.
The two continue to throw away trash, and the only trash left in Bikini Bottom is Patrick's garbage. When they're about to throw it away, Patrick comes up out of his rock and tells them to give his trash back to him. Squidward refuses and Patrick and Squidward have a tug of war. SpongeBob joins in, and Squidward tells him to hold on to the can while he goes to get something. Squidward gets into the garbage truck and grabs the can with the claw. Patrick's strength is enough to pull the claw off of the truck. SpongeBob compliments Patrick on his ability to do that, and Patrick says that the gym membership that SpongeBob got him was paying off. Squidward tells SpongeBob not to side with the enemy, but SpongeBob tells him that they're best friends. Patrick transforms a dumpster into a robot, and SpongeBob and Squidward transform the garbage truck into a robot. The two robots fight, causing all the garbage to spill out, making a bigger mess.
We cut to Mr. Krabs as he is relaxing outside of the Krusty Krab. The garbage from the fight lands on Mr. Krabs and the Krusty Krab. Mr. Krabs comes over to where SpongeBob, Patrick, and Squidward are and tries to take credit for their work. The three become angry at him, with Squidward saying, "I've been tentacle deep in trash, and it's your fault!" Then they have a trash fight. The garbage inspectors show up, and as punishment, SpongeBob, Patrick, Squidward, and Mr. Krabs are forced to clean up the mess. The doll from earlier shows up and throws a can at Squidward, and asks him if he wants to pick it up. Squidward replies by saying, "I hate that doll."
The episode was confirmed by Vincent Waller on July 24, 2017.
‣ Unknown Track 1
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
- Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Title card]
‣ Sailor's Sting 28 - Opening.
‣ Earl's Revenge - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob puts his back into the trash.]
‣ House of Horror - William Farran [Trash bag bursts and covers Bikini Bottom.]
‣ Hot Fuzz 03 125 G - Steve Sechi/Big Fish Audio [Trash inspectors arrive at the Krusty Krab.]
‣ Fight! Fight! Fight! (a) - Will Schaefer ["Go Fighting Filthies!"]
‣ Hot Fuzz 07 115 E - Steve Sechi/Big Fish Audio [Trash inspectors sentence Krabs to collect all the garbage in Bikini Bottom.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (o) - Jeremy Wakefield [Garbage truck is shown.]
‣ Hot Fuzz 03 125 G - Steve Sechi/Big Fish Audio [Trash inspectors get another call and leave the Krusty Krab.]
‣ Lopey Sailor's Jig - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs orders SpongeBob and Squidward to pick up the trash.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (c) - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward gets angrily into the garbage truck.]
‣ Sponge Monger - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob rides on the back of the garbage truck while Squidward is driving.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (V) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob falls off the trash truck.]
‣ Slide Whistle Song - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward rides on the back of the garbage truck while SpongeBob is driving.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (t) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Wasn't that fun?"]
‣ Unknown Track 38 - "Try this hand sanitizer."
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (u) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob squirts hand sanitizer on Squidward.]
‣ ? ["Oh, hey, that's not too bad."]
‣ Cartoon Sting 5 - SpongeBob finds a doll in the garbage.
‣ Unknown Track 82 - "I wanna destroy you."
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (r) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob throwing more trash into the truck.]
‣ Tales from the Swamp (c) - Ron Goodwin ["That doll's possessed!"]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer [SpongeBob falls into the trash compactor.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (e) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Isn't this cozy?"]
‣ Unknown Track 1 - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob and Squidward picking up more trash through Bikini Bottom.]
‣ Cartoon Sting 9 - Barry Anthony ["Hey, get away from my stuff!"]
‣ Whistling Around - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick playing fetch with a stick.]
‣ Armed Attack - Jean Clero [Patrick, SpongeBob and Squidward fight for the trash can.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks - Jeremy Wakefield [Mechanical arm ripped off the truck.]
‣ Hello Blues - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Wow, Patrick, you must be working out."]
‣ War Statement 3 - Laurie Johnson ["Nobody touches my trash!"]
‣ Wargames Linking Section (f) - Keith Mansfield ["So that's how you wanna play it."]
‣ Killer on the Run (a) - Gregor Narholz [Squidward puts the trash truck in battle mode and fights with Patrick.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (m) - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs relaxing outside the Krusty Krab.]
‣ Evil Mind 3 - Dick De Benedictis [Mr. Krabs and the Krusty Krab gets covered in trash.]
‣ Killer on the Run (a) - Gregor Narholz [Patrick and Squidward still fighting.]
‣ Sailor's Sting 15 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Knock it off!"]
‣ Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob, Squidward, Patrick and Mr. Krabs have a trash fight.]
‣ Hot Fuzz 03 125 G - Steve Sechi/Big Fish Audio [Trash inspectors reappear.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (I) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob, Squidward, and Krabs picking up trash.]
‣ Unknown Track 82 - "Wanna pick that up?"
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [The doll leaves.]
- As of May 7, 2018, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 9.3/10 based on 65 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 0.0/10 based on 0 votes.
- This episode aired in Iberia and Turkey on March 21, 2018 before its official American premiering.
- This episode was originally supposed to premiere on April 20, 2018, but was pulled due to low ratings.
- "My Leg!" and "Ink Lemonade" were also pulled back because of low ratings.
- Despite being removed from the Nickelodeon USA schedule for April 20, 2018, a promo for this episode airing on that day was still aired.
- The scene where SpongeBob's holes produce music is a reference to the episode "SpongeHenge," and it is also a reference to the theme song intro.
- SpongeBob makes a reference to the show's intro sequence.
- This is the third episode to reference the show's theme song within the episode, the first being "Truth or Square," and the second being "Unreal Estate."
- This episode has a similar plot to "Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful," as both episodes involves someone getting in trouble by the police for littering, the convicted not wanting to clean up the trash and relies on SpongeBob to help them, and the ending resulting in the police continuing to take action on the convicted and SpongeBob.
- This is the 50th usage of the APM "Earl's Revenge."
- The garbage truck robot is a reference to the characters in the Transformers franchise.
- The talking broken doll saying "I wanna destroy you" is a reference to Talky Tina from The Twilight Zone episode Living Doll. This is later proven as while Squidward panics, a Twilight Zone-like song plays, first heard in "No Pictures Please."
- In the French opening credits, Sherm Cohen was spelled as Shem Cohen.
- After Mr. Krabs says, "You ignoramuses are ruining all me hard work!" his claws are on his hips. In the next scene, they are in the air.
- When Squidward knots his nose up, in the next scene, it is back to normal.
- Despite Patrick's rock is seen getting covered in garbage, the next scene that it is shown, it is completely clean. This error is fixed in the next scene, which it is seen once again that it was covered in garbage.
- Although Patrick got in trouble by the trash inspectors, he is not seen picking up trash with Mr. Krabs, Squidward, and SpongeBob at the end.