"Sandy's Nutmare" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season nine. In this episode, Sandy creates the latest acorn-based food sensation, but her tree pays the price for her greed.
At Sandy's treedome
, SpongeBob, Patrick, and Sandy are seen eating Krabby Patties
. SpongeBob and Sandy fight over the last one with Sandy defeating SpongeBob by kicking him into the tree. SpongeBob notices that the leaves are falling early and Sandy, upon closer inspection, notices her tree is dying. Sandy then decides to save her tree with science. Sandy attempts to come up with the perfect fertilizer to save her tree running into some failures in the beginning before finding the perfect one.
Sandy then sprays her new fertilizer over her tree and, in seconds, lots of acorns begin falling and they are double in size. Sandy tries to store away all of the acorns to save for Winter, but unfortunately, she doesn't have enough space. She decides to call SpongeBob for help. Sandy asks SpongeBob to dump the acorns somewhere else. SpongeBob then takes the acorns in a wheelbarrow to a different place and dumps them over a cliff. Suddenly, someone yells at SpongeBob to stop and the man introduces himself as The Shalmon. He asks why SpongeBob is dumping his acorns on his land and SpongeBob says he is helping out Sandy. The Shalmon says that the acorns are meant to be eaten and gives SpongeBob his book.
Later, SpongeBob tells Sandy what The Shalmon told him and Sandy agrees to make her acorns into food. After looking through a cookbook, Sandy decides to make Nutty Butter. SpongeBob and Patrick enjoy eating the Nutty Butter and Sandy gives them plenty to take home. Sandy is relieved to have cleared out her room of all of the acorns but is soon greeted by a crowd wanting Nutty Butter. The people had tasted the Nutty Butter from Patrick and they all want some as well. Sandy, not wanting to let anyone down, decides to grow some more acorns to make more Nutty Butter.
The Nutty Butter is a huge hit all over Bikini Bottom with Sandy even making a machine that expels her fertilizer onto her tree producing more acorns. Sandy takes out more Nutty Butter to her customers while SpongeBob and Patrick continue working. SpongeBob notices Sandy's tree is not looking good but Patrick says that nothing is wrong. Soon, the acorns stop falling and when Patrick pokes the tree, it starts to crack up and even all of the leaves fall off. SpongeBob tells Patrick that they must do something and Patrick decides to make more Nutty Butter himself. As Sandy enters back into her treedome to get more Nutty Butter, she notices her tree is looking bad. When Sandy hears Patrick used up all of the acorns, she decides to give it some more fertilizer. However, SpongeBob tells Sandy that it's not a good idea, and suddenly, the Shalmon appears agreeing with SpongeBob. He then tells a story where he explains that Sandy shouldn't ask so much from her one tree. Sandy decides to give her tree natural fertilizer from Texas and the Shalmon decides to leave with his work being done.
Vincent Waller confirmed this episode on Twitter on April 20, 2016.
‣ Aloha Bikini Bottom
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
- Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Title card.]
‣ Unknown Track 2 - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Opening.]
‣ Unknown Track 46 - Nicolas Carr ["Hi-yah!"]
‣ Retro Cool 03 095 D - Steve Sechi [Sandy puts on karate gloves.]
‣ Irish Spree - Leslie Bridgewater [Irish jig.]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Isn't it a little early for autumn, Sandy?"]
‣ Drama Link (d) - Hubert Clifford ["Oh, my tree is dying!"/"Patrick, stop!"]
‣ Unknown Track 24 - "I can save it...with science!"
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks - Jeremy Wakefield [Hole in treedome.]
‣ Lonely Stranger - Laurie Johnson [Acorn on life support.]
‣ Ornamente No. 1 - Gerhard Trede [Sandy trying different fertilizers.]
‣ Death Clock (b) - Dick De Benedictis [Tree strangles Sandy.]
‣ Film Orchestra FX 7 - Dick De Benedictis [Sandy hits the tree with a broom.]
‣ Frankenstein's Niece (a) - Gregor Narholz [Sandy uses growth pills.]
‣ ? [Tree grows.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (f) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Nuts."]
‣ Unknown Track 23 - Chemistry set.
‣ World Events 2 [#42.08] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Tree with acorns grows.]
‣ Apprehensive 2 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Acorn fall from tree.]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr ["Well, kiss my grits!"]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (u) - Jeremy Wakefield [Sandy stuffs acorns in her mouth.]
‣ Hello Blues - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Sandy calls SpongeBob to help her to get rid of acorns.]
‣ Evil Spirits - Louis Mofsie ["Stop!"]
‣ Summer Harvest - Louis Mofsie [Shalmon introduces himself/"The earth provides our food and we must care for her in return."]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks - Jeremy Wakefield [Armpit hair.]
‣ Unknown Track 38 - Shot of garden.
‣ Tentically Speaking - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Sandy making nutty butter.]
‣ Cartoon Sting 5 - Crowd outside treedome.
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (j) - Jeremy Wakefield ["But it's the only thing my boy will eat!"]
‣ Aloha Bikini Bottom - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Sandy giving out jars of nutty butter.]
‣ Ticker Tape - Cecil Milner [Conveyor belt.]
‣ Animal Antics [#45] - Phil Green [SpongeBob realizes Sandy's tree is not looking good.]
‣ Menace [#42] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Leaves blow off tree.]
‣ Dramatic Cue (e) - Ronald Hanmer ["Patrick, we have to do something!"]
‣ Horror Crash - Harry Lubin [Sandy sees her tree aphyllous.]
• Hot Steel and Slide Licks (h) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Don't worry."]
‣ Evil Spirits - Luis Mofsie [Shalmon reappears.]
‣ ? [Shalmon tells a story.]
‣ Evil Spirits - Luis Mofsie [After Shalmon finishes his story.]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Wake up!"]
‣ Evil Spirits - Luis Mofsie [Shalmon suggests using more trees.]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (I) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Pretty much anything is better than this mess, yeesh!"]
‣ Bikini Bottom Bound - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Ending.]
- As of September 28, 2017, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 8.9/10 based on 72 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 8.7/10 based on 7 votes.
- "Nutmare" is a portmanteau on the word "nightmare" and "nut."
- The title card for this episode is similar to that of "House Fancy."
- It also uses the same background and typeface as "Code Yellow."
- SpongeBob mentions the pun in the episode's title when he says "I'd say you've certainly got a real nutmare on your hands."
- In this episode, Sandy has pink karate gloves. Usually, her gloves are green.
- This episode marks Lou's first appearance since "The Good Krabby Name."
- In UK airings, Sandy's line "What in the Sam Hill is goin' on around here?" is edited.
- Instead, she just says "What is goin' on around here?"
- This episode premiered 14 years after "Club SpongeBob" and "My Pretty Seahorse."
- This episode premiered in Canada one year after SpongeBob Comics No. 47 was released and one month after this episode premiered in the United States.
- In Canada, this was the first episode to adapt to the HD theme song.
- Sandy's customers are never shown having to pay for her Nutty Butter.
- This episode marks the first speaking role of Buddy.
- Despite being 201a in production order, this episode premiered before "Goodbye, Krabby Patty?," so this is the first episode in the 200s to be shown on television.
- In the Polish dub, the episode's title is "Klęska urodzaju," which translates to "The Harvest Failure."
- This episode's plot is similar to that of Dr. Seuss' book The Lorax. In both stories, a character produces a successful product using resources from trees, and the trees suffer as a result.
- Sandy says "Kiss my grits," the catchphrase of Flo Castleberry on the TV series Alice.
- Nutty Butter is a play on the condiment peanut butter (which is in fact, a type of nut).
- The Shalmon is seen in Sandy's treedome without a water helmet.
- SpongeBob and Patrick are both missing their helmets when they are putting down new dirt.
- Patrick says that he needs some more Nutty Butter because he cannot eat it off his back, but he is briefly shown to have a full jar of it.
- Fred is missing in the crowd when Patrick appears, but after they go to the wide shot he appears again.
- Buddy is shown three times in the second crowd shot.
- The ashes from the first sprout disappear when Sandy is about to put the third sprout the Growth Pill.
- Sandy is missing her pants when the second sprout strangles her.