"SB-129" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season one. In this episode, Squidward accidentally freezes himself for 2,000 years and experiences complications while using a time machine.
It is Sunday morning in Bikini Bottom. Squidward's house is shown. Squidward is getting ready to play his clarinet. He kisses his clarinet and walks to his window. He opens his window and gets ready to play. At SpongeBob's house, SpongeBob's alarm clock goes off causing the clarinet to go into Squidward's throat. He starts to choke. SpongeBob tells Squidward, "Good Morning". SpongeBob then asks Squidward if he wants to go Jellyfishing. Squidward tries to yell at SpongeBob, but the clarinet blocks his words and just comes out as clarinet sounds. Thinking that Squidward said that he did want to go, SpongeBob says that they (SpongeBob and Patrick) will be right over. Squidward goes back inside and pulls the clarinet out of his mouth. Squidward hears a knock on his door. He walks to the door and opens it to see SpongeBob holding a Jellyfishing net and Patrick. SpongeBob asks if Squidward is ready to go jellyfishing. Squidward says that he is not and slams the door. Patrick says that Squidward does not want to play with them. SpongeBob denies this and says that Squidward is just not ready yet. Squidward is shown about to play his clarinet, when he gets a knock on his door. He goes to the door and opens it to find SpongeBob and Patrick. SpongeBob asks if Squidward is ready yet and Squidward responds that he is not. Squidward is about to play his clarinet again, but he hears a knock on his door, goes to it, opens it, and finds SpongeBob and Patrick. SpongeBob asks if Squidward is ready yet and Squidward responds that he is not. Squidward is about to leave when he hears a knock on his door. He opens it and finds SpongeBob and Patrick. SpongeBob asks if Squidward is ready yet and Squidward responds that he is not. This exchange happens a few more times until SpongeBob and Patrick are no longer shown outside Squidward's house. Squidward continues to says, "No!" as SpongeBob and Patrick walk up behind him. SpongeBob taps Squidward's shoulder. Squidward asks, "What?" and SpongeBob asks if Squidward is ready yet. Squidward says that he is not. He then slams the door on SpongeBob and Patrick, but now Squidward is on the outside and the two are on the inside. Squidward starts to walk away when he realizes that he has left his neighbors in his house. He walks back to his house and knocks on the door. SpongeBob and Patrick answer the door. SpongeBob asks if Squidward is ready yet. Squidward slaps his head and walks in and tells the two to get out while he pushes them out. Squidward asks if SpongeBob should be at work. SpongeBob says that he would, but it is Sunday and the Krusty Krab is closed on Sundays. Squidward realizing something, says that he will be right back. Taking another exit, Squidward, holding his clarinet, sneaks past SpongeBob and Patrick. Squidward sneaks to the Krusty Krab. He goes inside to hide from his neighbors. Squidward asks if anyone is there and gets no response. He is about to play his clarinet when he hears SpongeBob and Patrick saying his name. Squidward runs into the kitchen. SpongeBob and Patrick look inside the Krusty Krab. Squidward gets to the walk-in freezer and the two say his name again. Squidward goes into the freezer. SpongeBob and Patrick walk into the kitchen and say his name again. Squidward looks out of the freezer window and the two say his name again. As the two pass the door, Squidward hides. He goes back to looking through the freezer window. Thinking that Squidward is not there and probably at Jellyfish Fields, the two leave. Squidward tries to open the door, but the handle is stuck. Squidward thinking that someone will find him there, says that he will be out of there in no time.
2000 years later, in the year 4017, the hinges break and the door and Squidward fall forwards. The "Krusty Krab" is shown and it is chrome. A creature that looks like SpongeBob, but with jets instead of legs, floats by. He realizes that Squidward is there and he floats back. He stops and his jets turn into legs. He takes out a chrome hammer suggesting that he will use it to break the ice. However, a laser comes out of the hammer and it melts the ice until Squidward feels it. He breaks the rest of the ice. Squidward repeats his last line from the 21st Century. The Future "SpongeBob" greets Squidward calling him, "primitive." Squidward thinks that he is SpongeBob and says SpongeBob's name. The creature corrects him and says that he is "SpongeTron." SpongeTron welcomes Squidward to the future. He notices that everything is chrome in the place he knows as "The Krusty Krab". He asks asks why everything is chrome. SpongeTron says that everything is chrome in the future. He looks outside to see that everything is chrome. A plant grows out of the ground, it is not chrome. A truck arrives and a fish with a paint can arrives and sprays the flower "chrome." SpongeTron introduces Squidward to three of his clones, "SpongeTrons X, Y, and Z." Squidward asks if any of the other letters involved. SpongeTron answers that they are and that there are 486 letters in the alphabet. Squidward lies down and curves up and says "Future" a few times. SpongeTron or one of his clones pulls his tie and a hand with a brick comes out of his hat and it lets go of the brick on top of Squidward's head. Squidward thanks the SpongeTron that dropped the brick on his head. Squidward says that they have to do something. Either the three clones or SpongeTron and two of his clones take out jellyfishing nets and say, "Jellyfishing!" A zap of light appears and a starfish that looks like Patrick, but has two heads instead of one. The creature says, "Did Someone say, 'Jellyfishing'?" and takes out a jellyfishing net. Either SpongeTron or one of his clones greets the creature saying that he name is "Patron". Squidward says that he has to go back to his own time. Either SpongeTron or one of his clones tells Squidward that the time machine is down the hall on the left. Squidward walks to the door and enters the room. Can opener sounds are heard and Squidward walks out in pieces. Either SpongeTron or one of his clones says that that is actually the can opener room and the time machine is on the right. Squidward walks into the room. The room has pink and purple striped wall paper, a green floor, and a hanging lamp. It also has a panel on the wall. The panel has a lever two options, "Future" and "Past." The lever is in the "Future" setting" On panel's right, there are three buttons, red, yellow, and white that flash in that sequence. On the panel's left there is a key in a key hole. Squidward says that he would have not chosen the interior. Squidward examines the panel and concludes that if "SpongeBob" is in the future, he has to go to the past. He turns the key and switches the lever to the past. Outside, either SpongeTron or one of his clones waves goodbye. A flash, similar to that of the one that indicated Patron's arrival, happens and the time machine disappears.
The time machine goes through the time-space vortex and end up in a prehistoric period before that of the one from "Ugh." Squidward looks out to see where he has landed. He leaves the time machine and starts walking. A primitive tapeworm appears and slithers above Squidward nearly hitting him. Squidward says that this must have been before manners where invented. He continues walking and says that there is no sign of SpongeBob. Squidward says that maybe he can finally be alone with his clarinet. He hears a noise. He sees a silhouette. He hears another noise and sees some eyes. Squidward starts to get nervous. He sees another silhouette. He sees another silhouette. He sees a figure. He sees two more silhouettes. He backs into a small kelp area and hears a rustling. He looks into the Kelp and sees a primitive sponge. It looks at him. It jumps towards him. Squidward tells the primitive sponge to stay back. The primitive sponge touches him and then smells his finger. The primitive sponge offers Squidward his finger. Squidward says, "No thanks." A puff hits the back of Squidward. He turns around and sees a Primitive starfish. The primitive starfish smiles and Squidward says, "Hello" and says that he better get going. The sponge holds onto Squidward's arm and examines it. The starfish puts his hand in his mouth. The starfish freaks out about a jellyfish. Squidward says that it is just a jellyfish. The sponge freaks out. The two freak out together and Squidward says that he will walk away now. He does so. He finds a rock and sits down. He plays a little and hears the hollering of the sponge. Squidward plays some more and hears the hollering of the starfish. Squidward then hears the sponge's hollering again. Squidward walks over to the two who are handing each other the jellyfish and it is shocking them. When Squidward gets there, they release the jellyfish and it tries to get away. Squidward explains that they are supposed to catch the jellyfish. Squidward asks them to give them their loincloths. They do so, but they only give him a layer of the cloth. taking a stick, Squidawrd makes a jellyfish net. He gives the jellyfish nets to the two. The put it on there mouths. Squidward hits his face and takes the nets back. He then demonstrates how to Jellyfish. The jellyfish flies out of the nets and the two follow it. Squidward sits down and begins to play the clarinet. The two are enjoying themselves. They get angry at the bad music. They start to chase Squidward. Squidward enters the time machine. He pulls the lever back and forth until it brakes. The setting that read, "Future" turns into a lottery machine and squidward gets two lemons and a "bar." A voice says, "Loser." On the outside, the sponge and starfish are beating on the time machine. The time machine flashes and then disappears.
Squidward goes through the time and space-vortex again, but this time weird things are happening. He ends up in a white area that some call, "Nowhere." Squidward walks around and then hears a voice. He looks back and nothing, but a few squares are in the place. He lifts a light blue square. It floats and fades away. Squidward says that he is there is no SpongeBob. Squidward lays down and says, "I may have finally found a place where I can be all alone." When he says this, he gets smaller and when he says, "Alone" a speech bubble appears that reads, "Alone." Other voices that are attached to speech bubbles say, "Alone." Squidward gets nervous and says that he has to get out of there. He runs in a cycle until he stops. He asks where the time machine is. He then asks where anything is. He then starts jumping up and down repeating "Where?" until he lands in the time machine.
He hits the panel and says that he wants to go home. He says that he misses Bikini Bottom, he misses his house, and that he even misses SpongeBob. There is a flash and the time machine lands in 2017 on Conch Street. The door opens and Squidward looks out to see SpongeBob and Patrick. He says their names. They greet him. He tries to explain what he went through. The two take out nets and ask if he wants to go jellyfishing. Squidward says, "No!" and asks who invented the game. SpongeBob and Patrick respond that he invented it.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ ? [title card]
‣ Hawaiian Blues - The Hawaiian Serenaders [opening]
• SpongeBob Closing Theme - Steve Belfer, Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob and Patrick at Squidward's door]
‣ The Rake Hornpipe - Robert Alexander White [Squidward hides in the Krusty Krab freezer]
‣ Death Trap - Gregor F. Narholz [the door's locked]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill ["I'll be out of here in no time."]
‣ House of Horror - W. Merrick Farran [After the 2000 years later timecard]
• SpongeBob Closing Theme - Steve Belfer, Nicolas Carr [Squidward in the future]
‣ The Gypsy Violinist - Dick Stephen Walter ["I don't belong here."]
‣ Aloha Oe - Hans Haider, Queen Lili'uokalani ["I got to get home to my own time period."]
‣ Dorothy - Tony Tape [inside the time machine]
‣ ? [time machine disappears]
‣ ? [Squidward in the past]
‣ Lovely Scenery C - Mladen Franko [prehistoric SpongeBob revealed]
• SpongeBob Closing Theme - Steve Belfer, Nicolas Carr [Squidward invents jellyfishing]
• ? - Brad Carow [Squidward playing clarinet]
‣ Dangerous A - Mladen Franko [prehistoric SpongeBob and Patrick chase Squidward]
‣ Dorothy - Tony Tape [inside time machine]
‣ ? [time machine disappears]
‣ ? [Squidward in a blank white void]
‣ Dorothy - Tony Tape [inside time machine]
‣ ? [time machine disappears]
‣ Hilo March - The Hawaiian Serenaders [ending]
- As of October 30, 2013, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 8/10 based on 116 ratings by users.tt0769435 TV.com users give this episode a 9/10 based on 197 votes.
- In fan-voted SpongeBob SquarePants marathons, "SB-129" was ranked #63 during the Best Day Ever event on November 9–10, 2006 and #5 during The Ultimate SpongeBob SpongeBash event on July 17–19, 2009.
- Present: Sunday, March 6, 2017
- Future: Monday, March 6, 4017
- Past: Early-Mid Paleozoic Era
- After "Help Wanted", "Buried in Time", "Truth or Square", "The Krusty Sponge", "Night Light", "Planet of the Jellyfish", "The Great Patty Caper", "Shellback Shenanigans", "Nasty Patty", "The Original Fry Cook", "SpongeBob's Truth Or Square", "One Coarse Meal", "New Digs", "The Splinter", "Evil Spatula", "Slide Whistle Stooges", "Krabs à la Mode", "Little Yellow Book", "SpongeBob You're Fired", "Tea at the Treedome", "Christmas Who?", "Employee of the Month", "SpongeHenge", "Culture Shock", "No Weenies Allowed", "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy", Just One Bite", "Graveyard Shift", "Your Shoe's Untied", "Roller Cowards", "Rock Bottom", "Plankton!", "All That Glitters", SpongeGuard on Duty, It Came from Goo Lagoon, "Fools in April", "Imitation Krabs", "Patty Hype", "Stanley S. SquarePants", "Model Sponge", "Le Big Switch", "Driven to Tears", "Big Pink Loser", "Boating School", "F.U.N.", "Patty Hype", "Life of Crime", "Krusty Love," "Scaredy Pants", "The Curse of Bikini Bottom", and possibly "Battle for Bikini Bottom"
- This is the one of the few episodes where the opening credits do not appear in an underwater background.
- This is the only episode where the episode's name is spoken when the title card appears.
- According to Tom Kenny, this episode is the most surreal episode in the SpongeBob series.
- Along with "Karate Choppers", this episode aired on December 31, 1999, the final day of the 20th century.
- The Serbian name for this episode is SB-192.
- This is a wordplay on Serbian TV Channel "B92," which originally aired SpongeBob in Serbia.
- The German name for this episode is "Die Zeit-Maschine" (The Time Machine).
- This is the only time the title card letters are floating.
- The episode, which arises from Squidward time-traveling and inventing the game of jellyfishing while seeking to avoid SpongeBob and Patrick as they want him to jellyfish with them, is a time paradox known as a causality loop.
- Thus, a person is inspired or driven by an event to time travel and, whether or not intentionally, causes the event which will facilitate their initial time travelling trip.
- The background of this episode's title card is also seen in "Can You Spare a Dime?" when Squidward pictures himself as an astronaut.
- The future is chrome after 2000 years.
- In "SpongeHenge", Jellyfish Fields is still as it was after 3000 years.
- Either Jellyfish Fields was never made chrome, or after 1000 years, everything was reinstated as they were before the chrome transformation.
- It also possible that both were alternate dimensions.
- This is the first time Squidward swallows his clarient. The second was in "Squidtastic Voyage."
- The later special "SpongeBob B.C. (Before Comedy)" seems to take place after the prehistoric time period shown in this episode, as the primitive characters in that episode are more civilized and have developed a simple language.
- Three scenes of this episode can even be seen during the special's original song "When Worlds Collide."
- The episode's title, "SB-129," is a portmanteau of the show's abbreviation, the first season, and this being the twenty-ninth episode in the series: SpongeBob - Season 1 Episode 29.
- In the PC version of The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie video game, SpongeBob can look into his future with the Pool of Perception.
- The third time he looks in, he sees the forty-fourth century, which resembles the future seen in this episode.
- This is the first episode to involve time travel.
- The future version of Patrick is Patron.
- In the Spanish dub, the name is the same.
- Ironically, "patron" is another Spanish word for "jefe" which translates to "boss."
- In Nickelodeon Southeast Asia during the marathon of Squidward's big holiday contest, this episode was known as "SpongeBob 3000."
- This is the first episode to have everything covered in chrome.
- When Squidward is in "nowhere," his footsteps make different sounds than usual.
- SpongeTron mentions that he has 486 clones, one for each letter of the alphabet.
- This means over the course of the two thousand years, four hundred sixty more letters have been added to the alphabet.
- In the future, the entire Bikini Bottom is chrome, except for the hinges on the freezer door, which had been rusted over the last 2,000 years, the freezer's interior, the time machine's interior, and the Bikini Bottom civilians.
- The jellyfish are smaller in the past, compared to the present day's jellyfish.
- This is one of the few episodes in which the Krusty Krab is featured without Mr. Krabs.
- In Poland, SpongeTron is called SpongoBot and Patron is called Patrickobot.
- This episode is considered by some to be non-canon for several reasons:
- Although if you consider the end of the episode, Squidward returns to the same day.
- Which means that although he froze himself earlier that day, he would have returned to work.
- Over the two thousand years (March 6, 2017 - March 6, 4017) no one entered the freezer to get supplies needed to supply the Krusty Krab with its products, as the freezer contains frozen Krabby Patties.
- Otherwise, they would have seen Squidward in there.
- A theory of this episode is that there are two Squidwards for the rest of the SpongeBob series onward.
- One of which is still trapped in the freezer and will be for two thousand years, and the one who already was frozen for two thousand years, went back to the past, and then returned to the present.
- Nobody else then PatTron knows who SpongeTron is, so how could SpongeTron know Squidward's name.
- Squidward never even told him.
- This is one of the few episodes in which many characters make their debut.
- This episode premiered on New Year's Eve of 1999 along with several other Nicktoon episodes with futuristic themes in celebration of the new millennium.
- Primitive sponge and starfish are similar to Spongegar and Patar from the prehistoric episode "Ugh."
- The future is seen again in "Buried in Time."
- This episode is the third out of eleven episodes to be released on a Blu-Ray disc.
- Throughout two thousand years, Squidward's face can be clearly seen through the freezer window.
- He was strangely unnoticed, however.
- When Squidward exits the time machine in the past, there are two red lights at the top.
- When he entered the time machine in the future, there was one red light and one blue light.
- Even though the Krusty Krab was closed in this episode, the doors were still unlocked.
- The first time Squidward enters the time machine, the switch reads future on the top and past on the bottom.
- The next time he enters, the two are reversed.
- At the start of the episode, SpongeBob's pineapple only has one window, as opposed to two.
- Before SpongeBob's alarm clock goes off during the start on the episode, it was facing the bed, when it goes off, it was facing Squidward.
- When Squidward enters the time machine, the door knob changes sides.
- When Squidward exits the can opener room, he looks like a spring.
- After he enters the time machine, he returns to normal.
- When Squidward runs in an empty white area, his clarinet disappears, and when he falls back into the time machine it reappears.
- It then disappears when he exits the time machine.
- After SpongeBob snores at the beginning, when he exhales, captions said "(Gary meows)".
- Gary doesn't appear in this episode.
- This episode was said to take place during Sunday, but March 6, 2017 will actually occur on Monday.
- SpongeTron states Squidward's name, but Squidward never said his name.
- When Squidward was running to the Krusty Krab, SpongeBob's tie was black.