"Séance Shméance" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season nine. In this episode, SpongeBob attempts to make contact with the holy Sandwich Spirits in order to uncover a long-lost rare sandwich recipe.
- Psychic (debut)
- Soda Ghost
- Squidward Tentacles
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- 2 Old Man Jenkins (short and green; tall)
- Abigail Marge
- Nat Peterson
- Harold "Bill" Reginald
- Fred (blue)
- Norma Rechid
- Nathiel Waters
- Nancy Suzy Fish
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Patrick Star
- Rusty Rickets (debut)
- Motorcycle Ghost
- Charlie (completely green)
- Fat Ghost
- Horned Dragon Ghost (debut)
- Four-Eyed Ghost (debut)
- Dragon Ghost (debut)
- Chupacabra-like ghost
- Mud Monster (ghost)
- Other Ghosts
- Creature-from-the-black-lagoon-like ghost
The episode starts off with SpongeBob and Squidward watching a scene on television in the Krusty Krab. When the séance is finished, Squidward is unimpressed of the plot, while SpongeBob is scared of it. Soon, Old Man Jenkins enters the restaurant and orders an unusual sandwich called a "Rusty on Rye."
Squidward tells the customer to order something that is on the menu which causes Old Man Jenkins to get mad. SpongeBob tells Squidward that he'll handle it but soon realizes that he has no idea how to make a Rusty on Rye. SpongeBob asks Old Man Jenkins how to make it but the customer replies by telling him that it was on rye bread and that it was number nine on the menu. People in line for a Krabby Patty start to get impatient so Mr. Krabs asks Old Man Jenkins to leave. Squidward states that he is identified as an unsatisfied customer, which upsets SpongeBob. SpongeBob then runs into Mr. Krabs' office, crying, and asks him why the Krusty Krab dosen't sell the Rusty on Rye. Mr. Krabs tells SpongeBob that the sandwich was on the menu of an old restaurant called Rusty's Rib Eye, made by the owner, Rusty Rickets, who died 20 years ago.
So, later that night, SpongeBob calls Patrick over to the Krusty Krab. Mr. Krabs tells them not to eat any furniture which upsets Patrick and causes him to ask SpongeBob why he called him there. SpongeBob replies by saying that they are going to perform a seance at the Krusty Krab. After SpongeBob reads the ingredients of a mustard container and summons the spirit of Rusty's Rib Eye, the ghost soon appears. Patrick runs to get Mr. Krabs after being scared by the "big ghost."
SpongeBob asks Rusty how to make a Rusty on Rye but both attempts to say and write down the recipe fail so, Rusty just shows SpongeBob how to make Old Man Jenkins' order. SpongeBob is surprised to see that the ingredients are driftwood, speckle, and shellac. He asks SpongeBob to try it and SpongeBob rejects it and says that it has an inquired taste.Because of the delicious smell of the Rusty on Rye, several ghosts infiltrate the Krusty Krab and eat the sandwiches.
After hanging around for a while, SpongeBob asks them to leave, but they begin to cause chaos at the Krusty Krab! Patrick and Mr. Krabs return and see the horrifying cause of SpongeBob's séance. Patrick, still scared, runs around the Krusty Krab screaming. Mr. Krabs sees the orb that the ghosts came from and defeats the ghosts by pushing them back in the orb and pops it. Mr. Krabs warns SpongeBob never to hold a seance without his permission, because "ghosts are like relatives. Once you let them in, they'll never leave."
The next day, SpongeBob serves Old Man Jenkins the driftwood sandwich. After he takes a bite, SpongeBob is now satisfied that Old Man Jenkins is satisfied. Then, they hear Patrick still running around the Krusty Krab, moaning ghost sounds.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Happy Haunting Hosts - Eban Schletter [title card]
‣ Unknown Track 66 - opening
‣ Zoom (d) - Dick De Benedictis ["I now summon the unliving!"]
‣ Evil Mind 4 - Dick De Benedictis ["I now summon the unliving!"]
‣ Unknown Track 65 - organ sting
‣ Drama Link (b) - Hubert Clifford [empty toilet paper roll]
‣ Unknown Track 19 - Ending of Squidward's TV show.
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob whimpering]
‣ Sailor's Sting 7 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Old Man Jenkins demands a rusty on rye]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["What the barnacle is a rusty on rye?"]
‣ The Donut Dilemma - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob doesn't know how to make a rusty on rye]
‣ Sailor's Sting 7 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Jenkins describes a rusty on rye]
‣ Dramatic Impact 3 - Ivor Slaney ["NO!"]
‣ Unknown Track 8 - Krabs explains
‣ Dirgey - Nicolas Carr, Steve Marston ["Old Rusty bought the farm 20 years ago."]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr ["I believe I've seen a program on this matter!"]
‣ Cartoon Sting 4 - SpongeBob calls Patrick
‣ Dramatic Impact 2 - Ivor Slaney ["We shall make contact with the unliving!"]
‣ Expectant Stab [#28] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["By performing... a seance!"]
‣ Evil Horror - Harry Lubin [Patrick screams]
‣ Deep Shadows - Eban Schletter [SpongeBob reads from the sacred text]
‣ Evil Apparition [#21] - Harry Lubin [Spirit of Rusty Rickets appears]
‣ Drama Sting 5 - Steve Marston ["A big ghost?!"]
‣ Unknown Track 67 - Eban Schletter ["He means freak in the nicest possible way."]
‣ Ghostly Scoundrel - Eban Schletter [sandwich made of driftwood]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (k) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob takes a bite]
‣ Ghouls of the Briny Deep - Luke Brookshier, Eban Schletter [other ghosts emerge from the floor/SpongeBob sees more ghosts.]
‣ Ghostly Scoundrel - Eban Schletter [ghost throws tree stump through window]
‣ I've Created a Monster - Eban Schletter [ghosts destroying Krusty Krab/Krabs and Patrick see all the disaster.]
‣ ? [Krabs warns SpongeBob about seances]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Hawaiian sting]
‣ Sailor's Sting 2 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [the next day]
‣ Ghouls of the Briny Deep - Luke Brookshier, Eban Schletter [ending]
- As of September 27, 2017, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 7.7/10 based on 89 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a 7.6/10 based on 35 votes.
- Some of the ghosts seen here appeared in other episodes such as:
- When the ghosts were coming through the floor and in the end, an instrumental version of the song "We're the Ghouls of the Briny Deep" from "Ghoul Fools" played.
- This is the third appearance of Old Man Jenkins from "Friend or Foe." The first being "Friend or Foe" (obviously), and the second being "The Main Drain."
- When Patrick says "This is the part of the story where I run around and scream," he breaks the fourth wall.
- This episode preceded the series premiere of the Nickelodeon show titled The Thundermans.
- This episode was aired in Greece on July 1, 2013 before airing in the US.
- This episode and "Don't Look Now" are Halloween episodes.
- This episode reveals before the Rusty Krab, there was a shack called "Rusty's Rib Eye."
- A clip of this episode was seen in the "Dude Snake Sponge Friendship" promo.
- This episode premiered eight years after "Enemy In-Law" premiered, five years after SpongeBob's WhoBob WhatPants? was released, and one year after the premiere of "Super Evil Aquatic Villain Team Up is Go!" and "Gary's New Toy."
- This is the first episode to star ghosts, but not The Flying Dutchman.
- This episode premiered in Greece seven years after the release of SpongeBob DetectivePants: The Case of the Missing Spatula book and The Art Contest: No Cheating Allowed!.
- This episode premiered in Canada on Kevin Michael Richardson's 49th birthday.
- In the German dub, this episode is called "Seance it Soße" which translates to "Séance with Sauce".
- When Patrick said "Mr. Bossman," this may have been a reference to the song "Hey, Mean Mr. Bossman."
- The mustard in the book is a reference to a flask in a Bible.
- When SpongeBob looks through his brain for a Rusty on Rye, the first thing he comes to is Ramblin' Ham. This could be a reference to the song Ramblin' Man by The Allman Brothers Band.
- The part when SpongeBob was making a stance was similar to a Teen Titans Go! episode "Legendary Sandwich." One part was when Raven was putting all the ingredients together to make the Mysterious Sandwich.
- SpongeBob communicating with the ghosts could be a reference to an Ouija Board, a board used to communicate with ghosts.
- When Mr. Krabs and Patrick were standing in the front door of the Krusty Krab, the Chum Bucket cannot be seen in its usual spot.
- Oddly, SpongeBob tried to hand Rusty a pencil and paper, the objects just go through Rusty's hand due to him being a ghost. However, Rusty was able to lift other objects such as a knife and the Rusty-on-Rye sandwich.
- This should have been true for all the other ghosts who were destroying the Krusty Krab.
- The Rusty-On-Rye would not have made a scent line because it was not cooked, however, this could have just been a way of supporting that the Ghosts could smell it.
- On the Krusty Krab menu, Krabby Patty is spelled "Krabby Pattie." This error previously occurred in "The Googly Artiste."
- Rusty's restaurant was a "ghost" so SpongeBob should have been able to walk through the door instead of opening it.
- The ghosts eat the sandwiches, but since they are ghosts like Rusty, the sandwiches should have gone through their hands.
- A ghost sawed down a load bearing column in the Krusty Krab, but in the next scene, and the rest of the episode, both of the columns are standing in the Krusty Krab.