"Roller Cowards" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season five. In this episode, SpongeBob and Patrick are afraid to go on a new roller coaster.
SpongeBob is telling Gary a bedtime story, but Patrick, holding a small TV, trespasses into SpongeBob's house and shows him an important commercial for Glove World!'s new scary rollercoaster called the "Fiery Fist O' Pain." They plan to go on it at Glove World! the next day, which is the first day it opens.
That night, SpongeBob has a nightmare that they both go on the ride and fall into their graves. SpongeBob wakes up shrieking that he does not want to go on the Fiery Fist O' Pain. The next day, Patrick breaks into SpongeBob's bedroom strangely after having the same nightmare at the same time, but they decide not to tell each other. The bus then comes, and they go to Glove
World!. They realize that it is a long line to the new ride, so they decide to start going on the ride for toddlers called "The Mitten" which they are scared of, annoying the toddler who is on the ride with them. Just then, they see Larry, who went on the ride. SpongeBob says that he did not go on the ride because he was hungry along with Patrick.
Soon, they eat ice cream. Patrick has to use the bathroom and argues with his reflection in the mirror while SpongeBob and his ice cream get into an argument. Patrick and SpongeBob want to tell to each other, but Glove World! will close in five minutes. Hearing that, they finally go on the Fiery Fist O' Pain, but as they are ready the ride brakes and they finally admit to each other that they were actually afraid to go on. Then the ride gets fixed, and they ride the rollercoaster. They lose their spines at the end of the ride and choose to go again anyway, having faced their fears.
Numerous theme park elements for this episode were taken from a Disneyland trip taken by Tom King and Luke Brookshier.
There may have originally been a scene planned where SpongeBob and Patrick were going to print the tickets online. However, in the commentary this information came from, the commentators laughed about this, meaning it might have been a joke.
The Mitten scene was based of Kings' experience with kiddie rides as a child.
Patrick's fear of Glovey Glove might be loosely based off how Brookshier got his Adam's apple pushed by a mascot when Brookshier and the mascot were taking a picture.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Clownfish Capers - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
‣ Lynda's Music Box - Peter Dennis [SpongeBob reading a bedtime story]
‣ Target - Hans Ehrlinger [Fiery Fist O' Pain commercial]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob goes to bed]
‣ Solo Steel 4 - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob talking in sleep]
‣ The Man Who Broke the Bank at Monte Carlo - Roy Alan Wootton [start of SpongeBob's dream]
‣ The Beast Within - Paddy Kingsland ["Excuse me, which way to the Fist O' Pain?"]
‣ Rescue - Cecil Milner ["In the name of amusement, no!"]
‣ Horror Chords (b) - Paddy Kingsland [SpongeBob wakes up]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [the next morning]
‣ Abject Terror - Paul Lewis [SpongeBob screams]
‣ Seaweed - Steve Belfer ["I had a bad dream last night."]
‣ Cream Pie - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob, Patrick get on the bus]
‣ Abject Terror - Paul Lewis [SpongeBob and Patrick scared]
‣ Dramatic Cue (e) - Ronald Hanmer [bus arrives at Glove World!]
‣ The August Waltz (a) - Andy Vale [ticket stand]
‣ Hawaiian Link (a) - Richard Myhill ["Here's your tickets!"]
‣ Dombummel - Gerhard Trede ["It sure was lucky we found our tickets."]
‣ Drama Link (b) - Hubert Clifford [Patrick screams]
‣ Ulk-Fox Nr. 2 - Gerhard Trede [Glovey Glove]
‣ Roll Up Waltz [#11.02] - Andrew J J Hall [The Mitten]
‣ Steel Sting (i) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob, Patrick whimpering after getting off the ride]
‣ Dramatic Encounter - Gregor F. Narholz [people riding the Fist O' Pain]
‣ The August Waltz (a) - Andy Vale [SpongeBob and Patrick waiting in line]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer ["One more time!"]
‣ Beach Party - Harry Bluestone [Larry appears]
‣ Fair Ride - Judith Leonie Cann [SpongeBob and Patrick eating ice cream]
‣ Dramatic Encounter - Gregor F. Narholz [people riding Fist O' Pain]
‣ Merry-Go-Round - Alan Hawkshaw [SpongeBob talking to his ice cream cone]
‣ Caliope Carousel - Roger Roger [Patrick talking to his reflection]
‣ Dramatic Impact 3 - Ivor Slaney [SpongeBob and Patrick hear that Glove World! will be closing in five minutes]
‣ Rifleman Fiferman (a) - Andy Vale [warning sign]
‣ Steel Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob signs a waiver]
‣ Steel Licks - Jeremy Wakefield ["Well, nice knowing you."]
‣ Unknown Track 40 - Nicolas Carr ["We're brave!"]
‣ Roll Up Waltz [#11.04] - Andrew J J Hall [SpongeBob and Patrick confess to each other]
‣ Mavericks - The Woodies [SpongeBob and Patrick ride the Fist O' Pain]
‣ Trapeze [#12.02] - Andrew J J Hall [ride is over]
‣ Carnival at the Fair - W. Merrick Farran ["We did it!"]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Hawaiian sting at end]
*In current American TV reruns, Monster Wave by Nicolas Carr, Fabian Fernandez, and James King plays here instead.
- As of January 27, 2017, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 8.0/10 based on 146 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 8.5/10 based on 120 votes.
- The Fiery Fist O' Pain is deemed new in this episode, but it appeared previously in "Rock Bottom."
- The sign about the ride on the Fiery Fist O' Pain says it may cause:
- Projectile vomiting
- Spine loss
- Embarrassing accidents
- Uncontrollable gas
- Explosive diarrhea
- Although Glove World! previously appeared in "Rock Bottom," this is the first episode to show its interior.
- This episode marks the second time Patrick has a talking reflection. The first is in "Rule of Dumb."
- In The Ultimate SpongeBob SpongeBash marathon, Miranda Cosgrove rated this as her favorite SpongeBob episode.
- This is Larry the Lobster's only appearance in season 5.
- There is a LEGO set based somewhat on this episode - Glove World (3816).
- Evidence that the set is based off this episode is that the ice cream clerk in the set wears exactly what Nat Peterson wears when he accepts their tickets.
- Also, Patrick wears the same bib and is messy as a figure in this set.
- The only difference is that the ferris wheel and Sandy are not seen in this episode and Nat is also a different color than the one in the set.
- There is an online game based on this episode called Fiery Tracks of Fury.
- During the emergency broadcast, Harold is on the ride with Nancy Suzy Fish.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick try to go on the ride before the bathroom scene, Harold works for Glove World!
- Briefly while SpongeBob and Patrick run happily after going on the Fiery Fist O' Pain, the former is shown with no nose, specifically when he looks straight at the audience.
- When Patrick shows SpongeBob the emergency broadcast, the former breaks an exterior wall of SpongeBob's house. However, when he goes to sleep, it is mysteriously fixed.
- When SpongeBob wakes up in terror, his shirt is brown.
- When Harold first wheels Old Man Jenkins out of the Fiery Fist O' Pain, his fin is missing.
- Even though it is the first day of the Fiery Fist O' Pain, Taylor already knows about someone's spine falling out on it.
- When the shot through the camera is first shown, in the background, there are two of the three fish shown appear to look like Martin and Shelly respectively, and the shot is in front of a rollercoaster, but in the second shot through the camera, the two fish look different and there is a fence in front of the rollercoaster. When the photo is shown, there is no fence.
- SpongeBob is a sea sponge, so he should not have a spine.
- Likewise applies to Patrick since he is a starfish.
- In this episode, SpongeBob has a vertebrae. However, in "Squirrel Jokes," it is said that sponges do not have a vertebrae.
- At the end, SpongeBob and Patrick are about to go again. However, their ride was the last of the day.