|Birth:||Rodger David Bumpass|
November 20, 1951 (age 65)
Jonesboro, Arkansas, U.S.A.
|Credits:||Actor, voice actor|
Dr. Gill Gilliam
Horace B. Magic
King of Sports
|Years:||1999 - present|
|List of episode credits|
Rodger David Bumpass (born on November 20, 1951) is an American actor and voice actor. His credits go back to the 1980's revival of The Jetsons. Many know him for playing the role of the character Squidward Tentacles, SpongeBob's grouchy and miserable neighbor on SpongeBob SquarePants. Other roles have been in Teen Titans Go!, Invader Zim, and various other animated cartoons.
Bumpass was born in Jonesboro, Arkansas on November 20, 1951. He attended Little Rock Central High School where he received his first training in theater. He attended Arkansas State University where he majored in Radio–TV and minored in theater. He worked at the campus radio station and also at Jonesboro's Raycom Media owned ABC-affiliated television station, KAIT-TV, where he had multiple duties as announcer, film processor, cameraman, audio technician, and technical director.
While at KAIT, he also wrote, produced, and performed in a late-night comedy program called Mid-Century Nonsense Festival Featuring Kumquat Theater. He graduated from A-State in 1976, and when encouraged by an A-State professor to consider professional theater, he went to New York in June 1977.
In 1977, he won a role in the National Lampoon music and comedy road show That's Not Funny, That's Sick and toured with them until 1978. That same year, he appeared in the TV special Disco Beaver from Outer Space for HBO. In 1979, Bumpass was awarded the leading role in a National Lampoon film to be called Jaws: 3 People: 0 in which he would have a love scene with Bo Derek. However, the film was canceled due to objections by the creators of the movie Jaws. In 1980, Bumpass created the character of 'Fartman' to appear on the National Lampoon LP The White Album, which later inspired the Howard Stern character by the same name.
Bumpass is best known to present-day viewers as the voice of Squidward Tentacles, Dr. Gill Gilliam, and the anchovies on the Nickelodeon animated comedy series SpongeBob SquarePants. He is also known for voicing The Chief from Where on Earth Is Carmen Sandiego?, Dr. Light on Teen Titans, and Professor Membrane on Invader Zim. Though he has been voicing and acting in films since the 60s, and had also appeared on stage through the mid 70s until the late 80s. Bumpass has over 693 film credits, according to IMDb.
On January 15, 2016, before 11:00 P.M., Bumpass was arrested with suspicion of driving under the influence at Burbank, California. A police report of the incident alleged that officers of the Burbank Police Department found Bumpass in his blue Chrysler PT Cruiser on the middle of the road. He was said to have leaned against the car, and when officers walked up to Bumpass for questioning, he tried to walk away and lost his balance, nearly falling to the ground. He confessed to driving after drinking at a Burbank bar before cops spotted him, and he was soon handcuffed after failing a sobriety test. His blood alcohol levels were said to be more than twice the legal limit. He was released the following day on a $15,000 bail. The incident was first reported by celebrity gossip website TMZ several days after the incident, on January 19. A day later, Bumpass alleged to the website that the police had lied about the DUI report, claiming that he was not leaning against his car when officers spotted him, and that he was being tailed and pulled over by the officers before his arrest, though he did confess again to the DUI charge. Nickelodeon representatives were notified of the incident by Bumpass, but did not release any immediate comments or actions regarding the matter.
On January 25, 2016, ten days after the incident, Nickelodeon representatives confirmed to TMZ that Bumpass would remain on SpongeBob SquarePants for the foreseeable future. The representatives alleged that the network's morals clause for the show did not consider DUI charges to be an immoral act, and thus Bumpass was not legally subject to termination. He has been faced with drunk driving charges.
- Rodger Bumpass voiced two doctors, Gill Gilliam and the Purple Doctorfish.
- Bumpass has stated the best way to voice Squidward, is to put it all in the nose and give him the "Oh PuhLEEZE!" attitude.
- Rodger Bumpass is the first actor on SpongeBob SquarePants to be arrested. The reason he was arrested is because of an incidental DUI that caused him to be arrested, he has been faced at trial for drunk driving. He was released soon after, but also, according to dailymail.co.uk, it states that Rodger won't lose his job after the DUI incident back in January 25, 2016.
- He is the voice of Dr. Light both from Teen Titans and Teen Titans Go!.
|1a - "Help Wanted"||Voice of Squidward Tentacles|
|2a - "Bubblestand"||Voice of Squidward|
|3a - "Jellyfishing"||Voice of Squidward|
|3b - "Plankton!"||Voice of Squidward|
|4a - "Naughty Nautical Neighbors"||Voice of Squidward|
|4b - "Boating School"||Voice of Squidward|
|5a - "Pizza Delivery"||Voice of Squidward|
|5b - "Home Sweet Pineapple"||Voice of Squidward|
|6a - "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy"||Voice of Squidward and Old Coot #2|
|6b - "Pickles"||Voice of Squidward|
|7b - "Jellyfish Jam"||Voice of Squidward|
|8a - "Sandy's Rocket"||Voice of Squidward|
|8b - "Squeaky Boots"||Voice of Squidward|
|9a - "Nature Pants"||Voice of Squidward|
|9b - "Opposite Day"||Voice of Squidward|
|10a - "Culture Shock"||Voice of Squidward|
|10b - "F.U.N."||Voice of Squidward|
|11a - "MuscleBob BuffPants"||Voice of Squidward|
|11b - "Squidward the Unfriendly Ghost"||Voice of Squidward|
|12b - "Employee of the Month"||Voice of Squidward|
|13a - "Scaredy Pants"||Voice of Squidward|
|13b - "I Was a Teenage Gary"||Voice of Squidward and Doctor|
|14a - "SB-129"||Voice of Squidward|
|14b - "Karate Choppers"||Voice of Squidward|
|15a - "Sleepy Time"||Voice of Squidward|
|15b - "Suds"||Voice of Doctor|
|16b - "The Paper"||Voice of Squidward|
|19a - "Fools in April"||Voice of Squidward|
|20a - "Hooky"||Voice of Squidward, Customer #1, and Fish #1|
|21a - "Your Shoe's Untied"||Voice of Squidward|
|21b - "Squid's Day Off"||Voice of Squidward, Doctor|
|22a - "Something Smells"||Voice of Squidward|
|22b - "Bossy Boots"||Voice of Squidward|
|23a - "Big Pink Loser"||Voice of Squidward|
|23b - "Bubble Buddy"||Voice of Squidward, Voice #3|
|24a - "Dying for Pie"||Voice of Squidward|
|24b - "Imitation Krabs"||Voice of Squidward|
|25a - "Wormy"||Voice of Squidward|
|25b - "Patty Hype"||Voice of Squidward, Rick, Gerbil|
|26a - "Grandma's Kisses"||Voice of Squidward|
|26b - "Squidville"||Voice of Squidward|
|27a - "Prehibernation Week"||Voice of Squidward|
|28 - "Christmas Who?"||Voice of Squidward|
|30b - "I'm Your Biggest Fanatic"||Voice of Spotter #1, Doctor|
|32a - "Pressure"||Voice of Squidward|
|32b - "The Smoking Peanut"||Voice of Squidward|
|33a - "Shanghaied"||Voice of Squidward|
|34a - "Welcome to the Chum Bucket"||Voice of Squidward|
|34b - "Frankendoodle"||Voice of Squidward, Squid Drawing|
|35b - "Band Geeks"||Voice of Squidward, Veterinarian|
|36a - "Graveyard Shift"||Voice of Squidward|
|36b - "Krusty Love"||Voice of Squidward|
|37b - "I'm with Stupid"||Voice of Squidward|
|38a - "Sailor Mouth"||Voice of Squidward, Restaurant Fish|
|38b - "Artist Unknown"||Voice of Squidward|
|40a - "Squid on Strike"||Voice of Squidward|
|40b - "Sandy, SpongeBob, and the Worm"||Voice of Squidward, Worm, Door Fish, Fish 4|
|41a - "The Algae's Always Greener"||Voice of Squidward|
|42a - "Club SpongeBob"||Voice of Squidward|
|42b - "My Pretty Seahorse"||Voice of Squidward, Fish 4, Teen 1|
|43a - "Just One Bite"||Voice of Squidward|
|43b - "The Bully"||Voice of Doctor|
|44b - "Idiot Box"||Voice of Squidward, Professor|
|45a - "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy IV"||Voice of Squidward|
|46a - "Snowball Effect"||Voice of Squidward|
|46b - "One Krabs Trash"||Voice of Squidward|
|47a - "As Seen on TV"||Voice of Squidward|
|47b - "Can You Spare a Dime?"||Voice of Squidward|
|48a - "No Weenies Allowed"||Voice of Doc, Big Fish|
|48b - "Squilliam Returns"||Voice of Squidward, Daddy|
|49a - "Krab Borg"||Voice of Squidward|
|50a - "Wet Painters"||Voice of Squidward|
|50b - "Krusty Krab Training Video"||Voice of Squidward|
|51 - "Party Pooper Pants"||Voice of Squidward, Smart Fish, Diver Dick|
|52a - "Chocolate with Nuts"||Voice of Squidward|
|52b - "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy V"||Voice of Squidward|
|53b - "Clams"||Voice of Squidward, Choir|
|54 - "Ugh"||Voice of Squidward|
|55a - "The Great Snail Race"||Voice of Squidward, Mayor|
|55b - "Mid-Life Crustacean"||Voice of Squidward, Deejay, Jake|
|56a - "Born Again Krabs"||Voice of Squidward, Doctor|
|56b - "I Had an Accident"||Voice of Squidward, Doctor|
|57a - "Krabby Land"||Voice of Squidward|
|57b - "The Camping Episode"||Voice of Squidward|
|58a - "Missing Identity"||Voice of Squidward|
|58b - "Plankton's Army"||Voice of Squidward|
|59 - "The Sponge Who Could Fly"||Voice of Squidward, Phone Fish|
|60a - "SpongeBob Meets the Strangler"||Voice of Squidward, Gym Fish|
|60b - "Pranks a Lot"||Voice of Squidward|
|List of episode credits|
- ^ a b c d e Rodger Bumpass (1951–). The Encyclopedia of Arkansas History & Culture. Retrieved on 2009-06-21.
- ^ "Reports of Death of Squidward's "Voice" Premature", KAIT, August 28, 2006. Retrieved on 2009-06-21.
- ^ id="Reference-Dawson-1999">Dawson, Jim (1999). Who Cut the Cheese?: A Cultural History of the Fart, illustrated, Ten Speed Press, 134. ISBN 1-58008-011-1. OCLC 9781580080118. Retrieved on June 21, 2009.
- ^ Cavazos, Norma. "Television Q&A", Dallas Morning News, August 23, 2001. Retrieved on 2009-06-21.
- ^ SpongeBob SquarePants. Boxoffice Prophets (November 19, 2004). Retrieved on 2009-06-21.
- ^ Drake, Sylvie. "LOW MOAN FARCE ALMOST NIMBLE BUMBLES IN `FOOTLIGHT FRENZY'", Los Angeles Times, April 2, 1987. Retrieved on 2009-06-21.
- ^ Churnin, Nancy. "Old Globe Gets 24 Nominations From Critics", Los Angeles Times, September 19, 1989. Retrieved on 2009-06-21.
- ^ a b SpongeBob SquarePants: Squidward Tentacles Busted for DUI, TMZ, January 19, 2016. Retrieved on January 22, 2016.
- ^ SpongeBob SquarePants Actor Rodger Bumpass Arrested for Alleged DUI, People (magazine), January 19, 2016. Retrieved on January 22, 2016.
- ^ SpongeBob SquarePants' Squidward Tentacles Claims Cops Lied in DUI Bust, TMZ, January 20, 2016. Retrieved on January 22, 2016.
- ^ 'SpongeBob SquarePants' DUI Bust Won't Cost Squidward His Job, TMZ, January 25, 2016. Retrieved on January 25, 2016.
- ^ http://www.latimes.com/socal/burbank-leader/news/tn-blr-spongebob-squarepants-voice-actor-to-face-drunk-driving-charges-20160208-story.html