"Rock-a-Bye Bivalve" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season three. In this episode, SpongeBob and Patrick care for a baby scallop.
SpongeBob goes to the mail and takes out the rubber band from the newpaper to play with it. While he's playing, SpongeBob hits Patrick, also playing with a rubber band. They then say bye to each other, until they hear chirping and both say they didn't make the noise. They spot a baby scallop
in a coral tree who was making the noise.
They name him "Junior" and decide to adopt him, with SpongeBob as the mom and Patrick as the dad. Upon taking him inside his house
, SpongeBob decides to use his pants
as a cradle for Junior. Patrick takes a look at him in the pants and Junior starts nibbling on Patrick's head, implying hunger. The pair offers him various foods, such as a Krabby Patty
, a tiny Krabby Patty
, french fries, a donut
, and lastly, an apple. A worm pops out of said apple and starts speaking. Junior is interested in the worm and wants to eat it, so SpongeBob and Patrick feed him it, terrifying the worm and leading the worm to death.
After Junior's hunger is satisfied, he suddenly starts crying. Patrick finds out that he needs a new diaper (Patrick knows this well because he apparently wears diapers himself), so he gives him one, which calms down Junior's crying.
Afterwards, a montage of SpongeBob and Patrick going out dressed as parents, taking Junior on various adventures, is shown. They then return home at night and put Junior to sleep in a cradle in SpongeBob's bedroom, eventually going to sleep themselves.
The next morning, Patrick eats breakfast and then explains that he has to go to work since he is the dad, thus leaving SpongeBob to do all the housework. He promises to give SpongeBob a break when he gets home. He eventually returns home only to be exhausted from work, and then decides to sit on the chair and watch TV
for the rest of the night. This goes on for several days until SpongeBob can't take it anymore. Eventually, SpongeBob angrily lashes out at
Patrick. He then shows all the diapers that Junior used.
Patrick then realizes the error of his ways and promises to come home at 6:00 and give SpongeBob the whole night off. However, he returns at 12:00 AM from a party at work. SpongeBob isn't happy and follows Patrick who said that was going back to work, only to find out that "work" consists of Patrick watching television under his rock
. He explains that it isn't as easy at it seems; sometimes he has to move the antenna, sometimes he loses the remote, and sometimes he has a very itchy butt. SpongeBob doesn't buy it, tells him he forgot his briefcase and then opens up Patrick's briefcase and dumps ice cream and donuts all over Patrick.
Patrick then reveals that he wasn't home by 6:00, as he decided to "work" overtime. Infuriated, SpongeBob yells "Overtime?" and then the two begin to fight until they see Junior jumping out a two-story window. They try to catch him, but fail and begin crying for him, believing him to no longer be alive and proclaiming themselves "bad parents."
However, then they realize that Junior is alive and well, and has learned to fly. After Junior kisses SpongeBob and flies away, Patrick demands a kiss from Junior. The latter drops a coconut on Patrick's head to get back at him for his laziness but still gives him a kiss, and Patrick responds "That's my boy." After the parents say goodbye to their son, Patrick says "Let's have another" and SpongeBob makes a shocked face as the episode ends.
‣ Rock-a-Bye Baby
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
- Nicolas Carr [title card]
‣ Dancing the Hula - Kapono Beamer [newspaper]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["What did you say?"]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr [baby scallop revealed]
‣ Alekoki - Kapono Beamer [SpongeBob brings the scallop into his house]
‣ Stand-Up Comic B - Sammy Burdson, John Charles Fiddy [rimshot]
‣ Pudding Ballet - Rick Cassman, Vyvyan Hope-Scott [feeding the scallop]
‣ Scared Stiff - John Fox [scallop cries]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr [shot of scallop wearing diaper]
‣ Tympup A - Sammy Burdson, John Charles Fiddy ["...this would be kind of shocking."]
‣ Dapper Don - Frank Chacksfield [montage of SpongeBob and Patrick playing with the scallop]
‣ South Sea Island Lullaby - George Elliott [that night...]
‣ Screw on the Loose - Tony Lowry [breakfast]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill [Patrick comes home from work]
‣ Screw on the Loose - Tony Lowry ["Oh, great, you're home."]
‣ The Bachelor Life (a) - Laurie Johnson [Patrick watching TV]
‣ Screw on the Loose - Tony Lowry [tomorrow...]
‣ The Bachelor Life (a) - Laurie Johnson [Patrick watching TV again]
‣ Dramatic Climax - Mike Sunderland [dirty diapers]
‣ Dramatic Impact 3 - Ivor Slaney ["I had no idea!"]
‣ On the Beach - Kapono Beamer [Patrick saying he'll be home at 6:00]
‣ Lonely Heart's Club A - David Bell, Otto Sieben [12:00 midnight]
‣ The Bachelor Life (a) - Laurie Johnson [Patrick watching TV at home]
‣ Dramatic Cue (h) - Ronald Hanmer ["Junior!"]
‣ Dramatic Cue (c) - Ronald Hanmer [Scallop jumps out of window]
‣ Island Romance - Jan Rap ["We're bad parents!"]
‣ Grass Skirts Blowing - Jan Rap [ending]
- As of September 10, 2018, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 9.0/10 based on 395 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 9.0/10 based on 154 votes.
- "Rock-a-Bye Bivalve" was ranked #89 during the Best Day Ever event on November 9–10, 2006.
- Due to SpongeBob and Patrick's "relationship" in this episode many people accused this as promoting gay marriage when clearly, it is just SpongeBob and Patrick helping a baby scallop.
- After "Help Wanted," "Scaredy Pants," "Christmas Who?," "Born Again Krabs," "Breath of Fresh Squidward," "The Curse of Bikini Bottom," and "Enchanted Tiki Dreams"
- Before "SB-129," "Chocolate with Nuts," "Buried in Time," "Valentine's Day," "Patrick SmartPants," "That's No Lady," "Welcome to the Bikini Bottom Triangle,"Krabby Road," "The Battle of Bikini Bottom," and "I'm with Stupid"
- Tomorrow For Sure...
- 12:00 Midnight
- This episode takes place before "Valentine's Day," "I'm with Stupid," "Patrick SmartPants," "That's No Lady," "Welcome to the Bikini Bottom Triangle," "Krabby Road," and "The Battle of Bikini Bottom" because in this episode, SpongeBob mentions that Patrick has never worn a shirt, but in the aforementioned episodes, he is seen wearing a shirt.
- When SpongeBob is wearing hair rollers on his head, he has orange hair.
- Normally in the show, worms are parodied as dogs, while snails are parodied as cats. Yet in this episode the worm was really a real worm. This is possibly because it is from the land, not the sea.
- This episode has the most time cards with a total of five time cards.
- For some reason, when SpongeBob and Patrick are trying to save Junior from falling out the window, SpongeBob tells him to jump into his pocket. Considering the current situation he and Patrick are in, it's possible he is saying it out of panic.
- The SpongeBob puppet in the episode blinks his eyes and looks at Patrick while actual SpongeBob doesn't.
- When SpongeBob shows funny faces, you can see the side of his head before he reveals he is using a puppet.
- The word "bivalve" is another name for a mollusk, an oyster, or a clam.
- When Patrick realizes what's wrong, the puppet appears to be living just like SpongeBob as he made a regular face. This could be related to SpongeBob's budding as seen in "Pressure."
- Patrick reveals he has worn diapers for almost a year after changing Junior for the first time, but in most of his other appearances he is shown wearing briefs. Another time he was seen wearing diapers was in "Money Talks."
- In certain countries, Patrick's line "Let's have another." along with SpongeBob's shocked reaction to the quote were cut out. This is most likely because the line contains sexual references.
- SpongeBob stores used diapers in the refrigerator, the couch, and the walls. While these are all weird places to put diapers, the refrigerator is the worst, as it's never a good idea to put used diapers anywhere near food, unless SpongeBob cleared out the fridge.
- Instead of letting Patrick go to his "job" everyday, SpongeBob could have just made him stay home with Junior while he went to his own job at the Krusty Krab, or brought Junior with him to work. But this episode might possibly take place sometime before SpongeBob got his job at The Krusty Krab, or he could just be on vacation.
- When Patrick goes back to "work" SpongeBob is in a women's night gown still, but when he got to Patrick's Rock, he was in his regular clothing.
- SpongeBob changed his clothes because he rips off his hairpiece before he confronts Patrick in his rock.
- Running Gags:
- Patrick watching someone getting hit on the head with a coconut.
- Patrick himself gets hit on the head with a coconut by Junior at the end of the episode.
- Patrick keeps breaking promises with SpongeBob.
- SpongeBob works on chores.
- SpongeBob's "Overtime?" scream has become a popular meme on the Internet due to the fact that it has hilarious outputs and it also has the stereotypical Asian face.
- When the last pile of diapers is shown, it is on top of Squidward's House.
- This episode premiered on Amy Sedaris' 41st birthday.
- Patrick's large breakfast appears to have the following:
- Kelpo cereal
- Some cereal with rounded torus shapes for the cereal, with milk
- Eggs with bacon and hash-browns on the side
- Butter on toast
- Coffee in a mug that shows the words "Dad's Mug"
- Orange juice
- Pancakes with butter
- Blueberry muffins
- A container full of sausages
- This episode may take place on March 28-30, 2002 because the narrator said "Tomorrow for Sure."
- The time card "12:00 Midnight" is similar to the title card of "The Algae's Always Greener."
- In the Croatian dub, the episodes name is "Spavaj mi Spavaj Školjkice," which translates to "Sleep You Sleep Bivalve."
- The time cards in the episode are said after the last word SpongeBob and Patrick said except for "12:00 Midnight" in which the last word said was 6:00.
- The "Uhhh" time card uses the same background as the title card for "SpongeGuard on Duty," except without the lifeguard rescue tube.
- When the worm says "We will bury you!", it is a reference to a famous speech by a Russian leader, Nikita Kruschev, in which he took off his shoe and slammed it on the podium saying in Russian "America, we will bury you."
- While doing chores and caring for Junior, SpongeBob has multiple arms, a possible reference to the Hindu god, Vishnu.
- The title is a pun on the traditional lullaby "Rock-a-Bye Baby" since the title is referring to the baby clam.
- The Serbian title, "Uspavanka za Ljuskara M.", is a pun on the title of the album, "Uspavanka za Radmilu M.", by ex-Yugoslav rock band Bijelo Dugme.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick are trying to grab Junior before he falls to the ground, there are various closed captioning errors.
- Junior's mouth stops moving when he's crying and it doesn't match the lip sync on his mouth.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick are trying to catch Junior, SpongeBob says, "Come to daddy," but SpongeBob was the "mommy." Considering the current situation he and Patrick are in, it's possible he is saying it out of panic.
- After the tomorrow time card, SpongeBob is using his foot to vacuum, but when he comes into the door when Patrick watches TV, he is using his hand."
- In the scene after the tomorrow time card, SpongeBob is shown with a black tie, and changes back to red in the next scene; this also happened in "Plankton!" and "SB-129."
- When Junior was in SpongeBob's pants, SpongeBob was in his underwear. When he goes to feed him, SpongeBob's pants are back on.
- Unless the motor on Gary's skateboard was connected to the wheels on the underside, then it shouldn't have been able to move.
- The last diaper pile was on top of Squidward's house, but in the next scene (the next day), it was gone. However, it is possible that the garbage truck cleaned it all up overnight.
- The NickelodeonPlayCA YouTube channel calls this episode "Rock A Bi-Valve."
- When SpongeBob says "We need a box for him to sleep in," his hand is colored clear instead of yellow.
- When Patrick says “Just call me daddy!” his mouth moves out of place to the left, and then back into place a few seconds later.