"Rise and Shine" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season five. In this episode, Patrick's morning routine is revealed.
SpongeBob wakes up one morning, stops his alarm clock, and looks out the window. He asks Gary about ever wondering what Patrick does every morning. The scene pans to Patrick sleeping on a chair in his house. His alarm clock rings and he becomes startled. He hides and realizes that it is something that happens every day. Then, the alarm clock continues ringing and Patrick says that the joke is over. Its persistent ringing angers Patrick, leading him to attacking the lamp and ripping it in half.
He then draws SpongeBob's face on his pillow and places his underwear on it to represent his best friend, SpongeBob. He asks PillowBob about the noise and then the pillow falls on the alarm clock.
Then, it is time for breakfast. He goes to the refrigerator and many Canned Coral cans come out of it. Patrick thinks that he has nothing to eat, but he figures out that the food is in the can, so he takes a plate and asks the can to give him some food, but, being insentient, the can obviously doesn't respond. Patrick tries to open it and gets frustrated, so he throws it and it lands on the alarm clock, causing the food to come out of it.
Patrick grabs the food and sits down to watch television. He eats the coral, but the ringing alarm clock comes again and he realizes that he is late. He runs downstairs, but trips on the broken lamp and falls down the stairs. He crashes through his dresser and his shorts are put on.
Then, he falls again and he goes through his bathroom and grabs his toothbrush. Then after some shenanigans, Patrick pops out of his rock and SpongeBob asks about his morning. Patrick says he just had another normal morning.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Wahini Wobble - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
‣ Chief Taravana - Kapono Beamer ["Good morning, Gary!"]
‣ Against the Law (c) - Wilfred William Burns [Patrick wakes up]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer [alarm clock ringing]
‣ Dramatic Cue (g) - Ronald Hanmer [Patrick attacks his lamp]
‣ Old Creepy Feeling - John Scott ["Where's it coming from?"]
‣ Seaweed - Steve Belfer [Patrick talks to his alarm clock]
‣ Twelfth Street Rag - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Breakfast!"]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr [Patrick shaking can of food]
‣ Goofy Conversation - Nicolas Carr, Barry Anthony ["Oh... the food is in the can!"]
‣ Breakfast Show [#34.01] - David Arnold, Paul Hart [Bikini Bottom Live]
‣ Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield ["Oh, my gosh! I'm late!"]
‣ Hawaiian Adventures SpongeBob Theme - Jeremy Wakefield, Sage Guyton [Patrick falls down the stairs]
‣ Clownfish Capers - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [sting at end]
- As of August 17, 2016, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 6.8/10 based on 142 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 8.1/10 based on 160 votes.
- This is one of the episodes that aired on the "Patrick for President" marathon, along with "Driven to Tears," "Rule of Dumb," "The Pink Purloiner," "The Gift of Gum," "Waiting," and "Sing a Song of Patrick."
- There are 8 rocks in the title card.
- The title card background is similar to the "Created by" credits card in the theme song.
- This episode marked the return of three-pairing episode segments, which previously hadn't been seen since the very first episode of the series, "Help Wanted."
- This is the first short of season 5.
- This episode marks the second time that Patrick's house has stairs. The first time was in "The Pink Purloiner."
- This is the second episode where SpongeBob only makes a cameo appearance. The first is "Ugh."
- He also only has three lines in this episode.
- Patrick is seen eating a food called Canned Coral. However, in "Pizza Delivery," coral is stated to be inedible.
- Patrick says "I got to put on my teeth and brush my pants!," which he actually got the object of each phrase backwards.
- In this episode, Patrick says, "a clean mouth is a happy mouth." This means he likes to be clean, but in the episode "The Battle of Bikini Bottom," he does not like being clean at all.
- This means that "The Battle of Bikini Bottom" takes place before this one.
- This episode only uses two voice actors: Tom Kenny (SpongeBob, television announcer, and Gary) and Bill Fagerbakke (Patrick).
- This also happens in "The Donut of Shame," in which Kenny and Faggerbakke voiced SpongeBob and Patrick.
- Coincidentally, both episodes are from season 5.
- In the Italian dub, this episode is called "Il risveglio di Patric," which translates to "The Awakening of Patrick."
- In the Croatian dub, this episode's name is "Dobro Jutro," which translates to "Good Morning."
- On Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and TV guides, when this episode segment is paired with "Waiting," they make an error by listing the episode as "Rise and Shine & Waiting."
- When the coral is on Patrick's alarm clock, it should have been shaking since it is still ringing.
- When Patrick tumbles down the stairs, his rock ceiling can still be seen even though he was still in the "basement."