"Ripped Pants" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season one. In this episode, SpongeBob rips his pants, causing everyone to laugh.
The Narrator introduces Goo Lagoon, which is a very popular beach in Bikini Bottom, where SpongeBob and Sandy are playing. SpongeBob puts on a show by making sand sculptures such as covering himself in sand and calling himself, "Sandy.", acting like Squidward, and as Vito who says: "Here's an order of twenty-five pepperoni and sand pizzas," which make Sandy laugh. Larry the Lobster comes and asks if they want to lift weights, which Sandy quickly accepts, while SpongeBob mopes behind them. When they arrive at the weight lifting area, Sandy lifts a bar weight and the crowd cheers. SpongeBob tries to get them to do something else, but Larry continues. He lifts a bar weight with six weights and the crowd cheers. Attempting to impress the crowd, SpongeBob lifts a stick, but the crowd is unimpressed. Sandy then lifts two anchors and is cheered loudly. Larry then lifts the entire audience and bleachers, and, once again, the crowd cheers.
SpongeBob is left out, and tries to get more attention by lifting a stick with Stay Puft marshmallow men on the ends, which he actually struggles to do. However, he accidentally rips his pants and they see his underwear in the process, and the crowd laughs hysterically. Feeling embarrassed, SpongeBob sadly leaves the weight lifting area, as the people continue to laugh at him, until one fish compliments him for the good laugh. When Sandy agrees, SpongeBob decides to use this to his advantage. He rips his pants again while playing volleyball, then while playing Frisbee. SpongeBob and Sandy then proceed to get some ice-cream, where he again uses his ripped pants joke. He uses the joke at the snack bar and a kitchen.
While at the surfing competition, SpongeBob rips his pants while surfing, which bores everyone. Realizing this, SpongeBob pretends to drown. At first, the lifeguard laughs it off, thinking that SpongeBob is just a cardboard box that washed up on the beach. Upon looking closer into his telescope, he screams that it is a guy, and goes to save him, which leads to a crowd gathering around him and SpongeBob. SpongeBob tells the lifeguard that he needs a tailor because he ripped his pants. Everyone gets mad and leaves, including Sandy.
He attempts to revive the joke by ripping his entire pants off, but it fails. After realizing that he has driven all his friends away, he asks himself if he is the biggest loser on the beach. This question is answered by three other beach goers, who think they are the biggest losers on the beach: Millie, who forgot to put on sunscreen, Dexter, who got sand in his buns, and Don, who was buried in the sand and forgotten. They ask SpongeBob what happened to him, and he tells his story through a song. His underwear rips, but his booty is not seen. Everyone on the beach hears his song, and understands how he feels and that he apologizes. Sandy tells SpongeBob that if he wanted her to be his friend, he should be himself. Larry asks him to sign his pants, and SpongeBob accepts. He bends down to sign, but his underwear rips off completely, and SpongeBob covers himself and blushes in embarrassment.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
• You're Nice - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
• Leaf Blower - The Blue Hawaiians [opening]
‣ Fun at the Seaside - Syd Dale [lifting weights]
‣ Side Drum [#52.05] - Mark Nolan [SpongeBob lifts a twig]
‣ Side Drum [#52] - Mark Nolan ["Y'all watch this."]
‣ Entry of the Gladiators - Dick Stephen Walter [Sandy lifts anchors]
‣ The Land is Ours - Gregor F. Narholz [Larry lifts the audience]
‣ Timpani Signal 1 - Sammy Burdson [SpongeBob adds marshmallows to the twig]
‣ Caesar's Entry - Gregor F. Narholz [SpongeBob struggling to lift the twig]
‣ Hawaiian Cocktail - Richard Myhill [everyone laughing at SpongeBob]
‣ Orchestral Effect (f) - Dick Stephen Walter [SpongeBob smiles]
‣ Stars and Games - Alf Saro [volleyball]
‣ Surf Buggy - The Surfdusters [Frisbee]
• Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [later...]
• Twelfth Street Rag - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob annoying people]
‣ Return of the Surfin' Headhunters - The Mel-Tones [surfing]
‣ Dramatic Impact 5 - Ivor Slaney ["Holy fish paste, it's a guy!"]
‣ Hope & Glory - Thomas Blug, Mark Scholz ["Why? Why?! WHY?!"]
‣ Beautiful Moonlit Night - Carl Maria Von Weber, George Wilson ["Come closer... I need..."]
‣ Botany Bay (b) - Robert Alexander White ["Dude..."]
‣ Timpani - Military (d) - Gary Kettel ["Come on, SpongeBob, you're losing 'em."]
‣ Side Drum [#52.02] - Mark Nolan ["Hey, everybody!"]
‣ Entry of the Gladiators - Dick Stephen Walter [pants ripped off]
‣ Stars and Games - Alf Saro [Sandy playing volleyball with Larry]
‣ Aloha - Dick Stephen Walter ["Oh no, everybody's gone!"]
◦ Ripped Pants - Peter Straus, Paul Tibbitt
‣ Moloka'i Nui A - Kapono Beamer [ending]
This episode is available on the Nautical Nonsense and Sponge Buddies, Home Sweet Pineapple, Absorbing Favorites, Complete 1st Season, and First 100 Episodes DVDs.
For unknown reasons, the Latin America airings of this episode finishes when the concert at the end of this episode is just beginning.
- As of June 10, 2014, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 8.4/10 based on 252 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a 8.6/10 based on 336 votes.
- "Ripped Pants" was ranked #3 during The Ultimate SpongeBob SpongeBash event on July 17–19, 2009.
- "Ripped Pants" is one of Tom Kenny's favorite episodes. He says "I think one of my favorite episodes is uh, "Ripped Pants", the one where SpongeBob rips his pants by mistake and gets a laugh out of it, and then overplays his hand by doing it one too many times, and people get bored with it, and he realizes that jokes have a lifespan. And I think that's something that happened to me a lot as a kid, where you would accidentally hit on something that was really funny and you would just do it over and over and over again, and when people stopped laughing, it was kind of like a slap in the face, it kinda hurt, and then you had to go out and find something else stupid to uh, get attention and laughs from your fellow classmates".
- During the Ultimate SpongeBob SpongeBash, actor Nathan Kress said this was his favorite episode.
- SpongeBob gets jealous when Sandy hangs out with Larry.
- There is a toy produced by Fisher-Price based on this episode that consists of a SpongeBob whose pants can rip.
- This is the first episode that uses the trademark SpongeBob font on the title card.
- This is the first time SpongeBob is wearing a different attire rather than his casual ones.
- His blue swim suit is seen again in the episode "Walking Small."
- This episode is the debut for most of the extra Bikini Bottomites that are used a lot throughout the series.
- It's possible this episode takes place later chronologically in the series since Larry seems to know SpongeBob, yet in later episodes (such as "Pets or Pests"), he and SpongeBob don't seem to be familiar.
- Some overseas airings have the episode end at the scene where the concert is shown.
- This is the first time the Beach Boys sing a song in the series. The second will be in "Doing Time."
- SpongeBob is seen surfing in this episode, but in "SpongeBob SquarePants vs. The Big One," he didn't know how to surf. However, it's possible that the events in this episode came after the events in "SpongeBob SquarePants vs. The Big One."
- When Jimmy Neutron was a new Nicktoon, some airings of this episode had Jimmy messing around with the episode until turning into Carl and it would end up restarting the episode up to the part where the lifeguard screams.
- Some of the storyboard frames can be seen on the CD insert (booklet) for SpongeBob's Greatest Hits.
- The song that SpongeBob sings is similar to the song, "Be True to Your School".
- The way SpongeBob sings is similar to the band, The Beach Boys.
- When the first view of the weightlifters is shown, there are two huts, but when it goes to a close-up on the weightlifters, the huts are gone.
- It is unknown why SpongeBob wore underwear under his swimsuit.
- SpongeBob says that he has 20 pizzas, but unless they were in nine boxes that is impossible since he has nine boxes.