"Restraining SpongeBob" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season eight. In this episode, a fed-up Squidward resorts to legal action to keep SpongeBob away.
At home, Squidward becomes increasingly annoyed by SpongeBob. As he walks to the Krusty Krab, SpongeBob annoys him by repeatedly asking if he can walk with him. SpongeBob continues to be annoying, especially when he can't seem to figure out the mustard dispenser is empty, with its sound effects causing a patron to think Squidward has a farting problem.
An irritated Squidward enters the kitchen to get it through to SpongeBob. Eventually, he leans on the grill, and accidentally burns his right tentacle. When SpongeBob tries to put the fire out with a bucket of water, he accidentally spills it onto the floor, causing Squidward to slip.
As Squidward flies through the air, SpongeBob tries to catch him in a jellyfishing net, but it breaks, and accidentally dropping Squidward into the deep fryer. The more SpongeBob tries to help him by running over to the deep fryer, by pulling out a fried Squidward, the more he accidentally bungles things, and further injures Squidward by tripping over a mop. After accidentally tripping over the mop, SpongeBob now lands into the order window, causing Squidward to flip right out of the basket, and knocking out a customer's Krabby Patty. The customer now accidentally bites into Squidward's own flesh, results in causing a scream, and now freaks out.
The customer now throws Squidward back to SpongeBob, and lands into the mouth by bouncing right off. When Squidward crashes into a soda machine, breaking it, Mr. Krabs now comes out of the office crying, and SpongeBob goes over to him and asks if he's all right. Squidward screams and runs from him, hiding behind a table. When SpongeBob gets closer, Squidward resorts to climbing the walls and ceiling of The Krusty Krab to get away from him.
The next day, Squidward gives SpongeBob a "gift": a restraining order, which his three lawyers from the law offices of Harry, Combover, and Bald, explain to him. SpongeBob is not to come within 15 feet of Squidward or he'll go to jail. SpongeBob is confused at first, but when he realizes that he can't prepare Krabby Patties if he's in jail, he is struck with fear and does everything he can to avoid coming within 15 feet of Squidward. Unfortunately, the window from which SpongeBob gives orders to Squidward is within the 15 feet range, so the cash register and the counter are moved to the right, by the restroom door. SpongeBob tries to give the orders to Squidward by means of a pole, but Squidward ignores it. Mr. Krabs sees the restraining order is hindering business, so he tells SpongeBob he has to think of another way. Patrick is tiptoeing to Squidward. Squidward tries to ignore him, but it doesn't work. Patrick tries to tell Squidward he now has a hat. Mr. Krabs reveals that he hired Patrick as a middle man: SpongeBob prepares the food, then Patrick gives the order to Squidward. Squidward won't stand it so he marches over to Mr. Krabs and complains to him that this will not stand. Mr. Krabs tells Squidward to get used to Patrick working at the Krusty Krab; unless he wants to talk to SpongeBob, which annoys Squidward.
Unfortunately, Patrick asks Squidward if he can watch him work. Squidward says no, but he continues to watch. He soon follows Squidward everywhere, and his stupidity soon gets on Squidward's nerves. Squidward's break arrives and he decides to play his clarinet. He soon finds out that Patrick used it as a toilet plunger. Squidward's break is over and he returns to working. He turns around and his nose gets stuck in Patrick's mouth. Squidward gets flung across the room, which causes him to suffer an allergic reaction when his face is smashed into a seaberry pie. When Squidward enters the kitchen, Patrick mistakes him for a monster and attacks him, thinking he's going to hurt SpongeBob. Seeing his two friends fighting, SpongeBob wants to help, but is afraid of violating the restraining order. His desire to help his friends wins out, and he steps in between them, explaining to Patrick that Squidward is not a monster. Squidward angrily takes the restraining order from SpongeBob, who begs him for mercy. Instead of sending SpongeBob to jail, Squidward crosses out "SpongeBob SquarePants" on the restraining order and replaces it with "Patrick Star." The episode ends with Patrick laughing hysterically.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Bikini Bottom Bound - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
‣ You're Nice - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [opening]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Squidward grumbles]
‣ Sailor's Sting 7 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [at the Krusty Krab]
‣ Dramatic Bridge 4 - Phillip Green [Squidward screams]
‣ Drama Link (g) - Hubert Clifford [Squidward is fried]
‣ Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob trips on the mop]
‣ Action Stations 1 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["Squidward, can you hear me?"]
‣ Straight from Hell - Gregor F. Narholz [Squidward runs away from SpongeBob]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (n) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Well, you really set him over the edge this time."]
‣ New School - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [one shift later...]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [restraining order]
‣ People's Court - Alan Stanley Tew [lawyers explain]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Huh?"]
‣ People's Court - Alan Stanley Tew [lawyers fly away]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Hmm..."]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band [SpongeBob making Krabby Patties]
‣ Captain Lenoe's - Michael Arthur, Colin Cater, Mick Graves, The Folk Players, Sarah Graves, Simon Ritchie ["Oops."]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (Original Version) - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs wipes mustard off his clothes with the restraining order]
‣ Dramatic Impact 2 - Ivor Slaney [Krabs removes a gold star from SpongeBob's employee performance chart]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob gets an idea]
‣ Cartoon Sting 4 - Gerhard Narholz [Patrick hired]
‣ Sailor's Sting 1 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Patrick annoying Squidward]
‣ New School - Squidward washing hands
‣ Sailor's Sting 1 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Patrick stills annoying Squidward]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Huh?"]
‣ Cartoon Sting 5 - Gerhard Narholz ["Hi, Squidward."]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (e) - Jeremy Wakefield ["We're gonna need a new plunger."]
‣ Sailor's Sting 10 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Nice work, Patrick!"]
‣ Tension Bits - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick bites Squidward's nose]
‣ Cocksure Capers - Phillip Green ["Squidward's funny!"]
‣ Horror Crash - Harry Lubin [pie in Squidward's face]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (i) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I'm allergic to sea berries!"]
‣ Drama Link (g) - Hubert Clifford ["Monster!"]
‣ Sword Fight (Sam Fonteyn) - Sam Fonteyn [Patrick attacks Squidward]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (j) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob cries because he broke the restraining order]
‣ SpongeBob History Song - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
- Bringing Seaberry Pie to a fast food restaurant whilst holding it in the manner the man had been holding it (looking like he had been prepped to throw it) are both somewhat odd.
- It is revealed that Squidward is allergic to seaberries (when he crashed headfirst into a Seaberry Pie), which causes his whole body to swell up.
- When Squidward drew the circle on the ground to indicate 15 feet, it encompassed the restroom, so there would be no way for SpongeBob to go to the bathroom while Squidward's at his post. However in the episode "Breath of Fresh Squidward," it's revealed that SpongeBob has an "employees only" bathroom in the kitchen.
- This is the third time SpongeBob is seen on a title card. The first was "What Ever Happened to SpongeBob?" and the second was "Oral Report," and the fourth was "InSPONGEiac."
- In Germany, the episode has two title cards.
- Hairy, Combover, and Bald's (Squidward's Lawyers) names match their hairstyles.
- It's pretty odd that Patrick is working in the Krusty Krab again because at the end of the episode "No Hat for Pat," Mr. Krabs told Patrick that he will never make him work at the Krusty Krab ever again. However, Mr. Krabs may have allowed it since he needs some way to get the Krabby Patties handed out to the customers due to SpongeBob not allowing to be within 15 feet of Squidward, although this episode could of taken place before..
- This episode premiered on Martin Olson's 60th birthday, seven years after Nickelodeon Blimp premiered, and one year after Sentimental Sponge.
- Running Gag: Spongebob and Patrick asking different question and while rejected asking "please."
- When Bald (one of the three Squidward's lawyers) drew the circle, it started on the right side of the kitchen door frame and ended on the right side of the bathroom door frame. However, in some scenes, the circle stated on the left side of the kitchen door frame and ended on the right side of the bathroom door frame (usually on the wide angles).
- When Patrick has Squidward's nose in his mouth, his eyebrows disappear for a second.
- Mr. Krabs used the restraining order to get mustard off him, but the next time it was seen, there was no mustard.
- Mr Krabs has been around all these years and he still doesn't know what a restraining order is?