- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Squidward Tentacles
- Patrick Star
- Alternate-Universe Patrick (possibly)
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Harold "Bill" Reginald (cameo)
- Squidward's lawyers (debut)
- Frank (cameo)
- Norma Rechid
- Martha Smith
At home, Squidward wakes up from bed and is increasingly annoyed by SpongeBob sharpening his trusty spatula. As he walks to the Krusty Krab, SpongeBob annoys him by repeatedly asking if he can walk with him. Once they end up at work, Squidward gets angry. SpongeBob continues to be annoying, especially when he can't seem to figure out the mustard dispenser is empty, with its sound effects causing a patron to think Squidward has a farting problem.
An irritated Squidward enters the kitchen to get it through to SpongeBob. Eventually, he leans on the grill, and accidentally burns his right tentacle. When SpongeBob tries to put the fire out with a bucket of water, he accidentally spills it onto the floor, causing Squidward to slip.
As Squidward flies through the air, SpongeBob tries to catch him in a jellyfishing net, but it breaks, and accidentally dropping Squidward into the deep fryer. The more SpongeBob tries to help him by running over to the deep fryer, by pulling out a fried Squidward, the more he accidentally bungles things, and further injures Squidward by tripping over a mop. After accidentally tripping over the mop, SpongeBob now lands into the order window, causing Squidward to flip right out of the basket, and knocking out a customer's Krabby Patty. The customer then accidentally bites into Squidward's own flesh, resulting in Squidward screaming in pain, and the customer freaks out.
The customer now throws Squidward back to SpongeBob, and lands into the mouth by bouncing right off. When Squidward crashes into a soda machine, breaking it, Mr. Krabs now comes out of the office crying, and SpongeBob goes over to him and asks if he's all right. Squidward screams and runs from him, hiding behind a table. When SpongeBob gets closer, Squidward resorts to climbing the walls and ceiling of The Krusty Krab to get away from him. Mr. Krabs then reveals SpongeBob "really set him (Squidward) over the edge."
The next day, Squidward gives SpongeBob a "gift": a restraining order, which his three lawyers from the law offices of Harry, Combover, and Bald, explain to him. They tell SpongeBob that he cannot come within 15 feet of Squidward or he will go to jail. SpongeBob is confused at first, but when Squidward tells him that he can't prepare Krabby Patties if he's in jail, he is struck with fear and does everything he can to avoid coming within 15 feet of Squidward.
SpongeBob resumes working, but unfortunately, the window from which SpongeBob gives orders to Squidward is within the 15 feet range, so the cash register and the counter are moved to the right, by the restroom door. SpongeBob tries to give the orders to Squidward by means of a pole, but Squidward ignores it. Mr. Krabs sees the restraining order is hindering business, so he tells SpongeBob he has to think of another way.
In the next scene, Patrick is tiptoeing to Squidward. Squidward tries to ignore him, but it doesn't work. Patrick tries to tell Squidward he now has a hat. Mr. Krabs reveals that he hired Patrick as a middle man. Squidward won't stand it now that the employees are both his annoying neighbors, so he marches over to Mr. Krabs and complains to him to get someone else. Mr. Krabs doesn't want to pay more to hire a new employee, so he tells Squidward to get used to Patrick working at the Krusty Krab, unless he wants to talk to SpongeBob, which annoys Squidward. SpongeBob prepares the food, then Patrick gives the order to Squidward.
Unfortunately, Patrick asks Squidward if he can watch him work. Squidward says no, but Patrick continues to watch. Patrick does things that annoy Squidward such as following him around the Krusty Krab, appearing inside the cashier, using the bathroom with him, and touching his hat. Squidward becomes very nervous that Patrick could appear any minute before he freaks when Mr. Krabs says his name and tells him it's time for his break. Squidward decides to play his clarinet. He opens his clarinet box to play, but it isn't there. Patrick tells Squidward that he cleaned the bathroom, to which Squidward sarcastically tells him that he did good. But Patrick then tells Squidward that the "toilet plunger" is broken, as he used Squidward's clarinet to clean the toilets, angering Squidward. Mr. Krabs congratulates Patrick before telling Squidward his break is over. Squidward resumes work when a customer orders a lot of food, and asks if that's too much food, but Squidward tells him, "That depends." The customer then says, "On what?", before Squidward tells him, "How long do you wanna live," and laughs. Squidward then turns around to give Patrick the order to get his nose caught in Patrick's mouth. Squidward breaks free of Patrick, but gets flung across the restaurant. Patrick then finds a button on Squidward's post. A random fish appears with a seaberry pie, screams when he sees Squidward flying towards him and leaves the pie in midair. Squidward's face gets smashed into the seaberry pie, which causes him to suffer an allergic reaction by swelling.
Squidward knows what he must do next. When Squidward is about to enter the kitchen, Patrick mistakes him for a monster and hears Squidward say SpongeBob. Patrick thinks Squidward is going to hurt SpongeBob, so he attacks him. Seeing both of them fighting, SpongeBob wants to help, but is afraid of violating the restraining order and serving jail time. His desire to help his friends wins out, and he interferes in their fight and stops it. Patrick at this point finds out that the monster is Squidward, according to SpongeBob. He blames his button for not telling him. Squidward angrily takes the restraining order from SpongeBob, who begs him for mercy. SpongeBob hands Squidward a pen and continues to cry before Squidward tells SpongeBob he isn't going to jail. Instead of sending SpongeBob to jail, Squidward uses the pen to replace "SpongeBob SquarePants" with "Patrick Star". Patrick then says sorry to his button, before Squidward tells Patrick that he is on the restraining order, not his button. The episode ends with Patrick laughing hysterically.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Bikini Bottom Bound - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [title card]
‣ You're Nice - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [opening]
‣ Lap Steel - Nicolas Carr [Squidward grumbles]
‣ Sailor's Sting 7 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [at the Krusty Krab]
‣ Dramatic Bridge 4 - Phil Green [Squidward screams]
‣ Drama Link (g) - Hubert Clifford [Squidward is fried]
‣ Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob trips on the mop]
‣ Action Stations 1 - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["Squidward, can you hear me?"]
‣ Straight from Hell - Gregor F. Narholz [Squidward runs away from SpongeBob]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (n) - Jeremy Wakefield ["Well, you really set him over the edge this time."]
‣ Botany Bay - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [one shift later...]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [restraining order]
‣ People's Court - Alan Stanley Tew [Squidward's lawyers appear/Bald explains SpongeBob the contents of Squidward's restraining order.]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Huh?"]
‣ People's Court - Alan Stanley Tew [lawyers fly away]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Hmm..."]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band [SpongeBob making Krabby Patties]
‣ Captain Lenoe's - Michael Arthur, Colin Cater, Mick Graves, The Folk Players, Sarah Graves, Simon Ritchie ["Oops."]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs wipes mustard off his clothes with the restraining order]
‣ Dramatic Impact 2 - Ivor Slaney [Krabs removes a gold star from SpongeBob's employee performance chart]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr [SpongeBob gets an idea]
‣ Cartoon Sting 4 - Patrick hired/"Yeah Patrick! Get back to...WHAT?!?"
‣ Sailor's Sting 1 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Patrick annoying Squidward]
‣ ? [Squidward washing hands]
‣ Sailor's Sting 1 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Patrick stills annoying Squidward]
‣ Vibe Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Huh?"]
‣ Cartoon Sting 5 - "Hi, Squidward."
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (e) - Jeremy Wakefield ["We're gonna need a new plunger."]
‣ Sailor's Sting 10 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr ["Nice work, Patrick!"]
‣ Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Patrick bites Squidward's nose]
‣ Cocksure Capers - Phil Green ["Squidward's funny!"]
‣ Horror Crash - Harry Lubin [pie in Squidward's face]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (i) - Jeremy Wakefield ["I'm allergic to sea berries!"]
‣ Drama Link (g) - Hubert Clifford ["Monster!"]
‣ Sword Fight - Sam Fonteyn [Patrick attacks Squidward]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (j) - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob cries because he broke the restraining order]
‣ SpongeBob History Song - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [ending]
This section is too short. You can help the Encyclopedia SpongeBobia by expanding it.
- There are 24 SpongeBobs on the title card.
- Bringing Seaberry Pie to a fast food restaurant whilst holding it in the manner the man had been holding it (looking like he had been prepped to throw it) are both somewhat odd.
- It's revealed that Squidward is allergic to seaberries (when he crashed headfirst into a Seaberry Pie), which causes his whole body to swell up.
- Patrick wears his hat sideways throughout the whole episode.
- When Bald drew the circle on the ground to indicate 15 feet, it encompassed the restroom, so there would be no way for SpongeBob to go to the bathroom while Squidward's at his post. However in the episode "Breath of Fresh Squidward," it's revealed that SpongeBob has an "employees only" bathroom in the kitchen.
- Running Gags: SpongeBob and Patrick asking different questions to Squidward and, while rejected, repeatedly asking "please."
- This is the third time SpongeBob is seen on a title card. The first was "What Ever Happened to SpongeBob?" and the second was "Oral Report," and the fourth was "InSPONGEiac."
- In Germany, the episode has 2 title cards.
- Hairy, Combover, and Bald's (Squidward's Lawyers) names match their hairstyles.
- It is pretty odd that Patrick is working in the Krusty Krab again because at the end of the episode "No Hat for Pat," Mr. Krabs told Patrick that he will never make him work at the Krusty Krab ever again. However, Mr. Krabs may have allowed it since he was not paying him much and he needs some way to get the Krabby Patties handed out to the customers due to SpongeBob not allowing to be within 15 feet of Squidward. It could be possible that this episode occurred before "No Hat for Pat" or that Mr. Krabs eventually forgave Patrick.
- This is the last episode written by Paul Tibbitt.
- This episode premiered on Martin Olson's 60th birthday, seven years after Nickelodeon Blimp premiered, and one year after "Sentimental Sponge."
- Considering the fact that the Bikini Bottomites are no taller than a foot, SpongeBob would have had to be outside the Krusty Krab to be away from Squidward.
- When Bald (one of the three Squidward's lawyers) drew the circle, it started on the right side of the kitchen door frame and ended on the right side of the bathroom door frame. However, in some scenes, the circle stated on the left side of the kitchen door frame and ended on the right side of the bathroom door frame (usually on the wide angles).
- When Patrick has Squidward's nose in his mouth, his eyebrows disappear for a second.
- Mr. Krabs used the restraining order to get mustard off him, but the next time it's seen, there is no mustard on it.
- Squidward crossed out SpongeBob's name out. In the next scene, before Squidward says "And adding someone who's much more deserving," the restraining order already had Patrick's name on it.