- Eugene H. Krabs
- Squidward Tentacles
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Captain Scarfish (debut)
- Nathiel Waters
- Billy (debut)
- Octopus Sailor (debut)
- Ensign (debut)
- Frankie Billy
- Jimmy Gus (pink)
- Abigail Marge
- Pirate Queen (debut)
- Purple Pirate
- Blue Pirate (debut)
SynopsisThe episode starts at the Krusty Krab, where Squidward is eager to leave early. By then, a defective storm dashes upon Bikini Bottom, and the Krusty crew is stuck inside the building. Until then, Mr. Krabs decides to share one of his stories about a time when a gusty wind tossed around his cargo ship. Mr. Krabs was cooking up some food for his crew, and during his cookery, Captain Scarfish bursts into the kitchen telling Mr. Krabs to refrain from making delicious food, and to keep the crust on the bread. He was explaining to him that he has a cargo load full of sun tan lotion. Soon into the story Mr. Krabs brings in a load of slob for the hungry fish.
After seeing the poorly-looking fish eating the slob, Mr. Krabs determines to turn the nourishment into a tasty treat, which gets seen by the captain and decides to send him to jail. After sharing about his horrible journey to prison, Mr. Krabs gives the foolish guard an assignment to make a cathedral of cotton candy, so that he can snatch a piece while he's distracted and form a key to unlock the cell. At that moment, Mr. Krabs made a wise decision until he saw that the jail was being under hostage by the pirates. He knew he had to act fast, so he unlocked his way out, and told the crew to wake up. Mr. Krabs was on his own, he had to poke holes in the barrels of sun tan lotion to keep the other fish on the island alive. While threatened to be attacked, the guard used piles of moldy crust to form canon balls to shoot at the ship. After the pirates sail sunk down, SpongeBob poked holes in the barrels of suntan lotion to keep the other fishes on the island from getting disintegrated. The fish soon revived, and swam upon the cargo, to capture the pirates. The episode ends off with the pirate put behind bars, and Mr. Krabs giving her a pie with a key molded from cotton candy, and Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob continuously winking at each other.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ The Drunken Sailor - Nicolas Carr [title card]
‣ Sailor's Sting 8 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [opening at Krusty Krab]
‣ Sailor's Sting 1 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Squidward helps an old customer to eat fries faster]
‣ Tension Bits - Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [thunderstorm]
‣ The Drunken Sailor - "Why don't you pull up a barrel, me laddies?"
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks V - Jeremy Wakefield [Squidward disintegrates]
‣ Attack of the Giant Robots - Cris Velasco ["It was a day just like this one."]
‣ Bloodbath - Harry Lubin [ship being tossed about]
‣ Peg Leg Waltz - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr, Sage Guyton [Krabs cooking food]
‣ Armed Attack - Jean Clero ["The man whose mission was to make my life a living nightmare."]
‣ Dramatic Impact 6 - Ivor Slaney ["They called him... Captain Scarfish!"]
‣ Armed Attack - Jean Clero [SpongeBob screams.]
‣ Sailor's Sting 17 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Sea cucumber sandwich]
‣ Break In - Harry Lubin ["This is the Navy, son!"]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (b) - Jeremy Wakefield ["You were transporting suntan lotion?"]
‣ Guerilla Warfare [#22] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [ship heads into pirate territory]
‣ Guerilla Warfare [#29] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["So, tonight's meal is gonna be terrible! You understand, me?!"]
‣ Guerilla Warfare [#28] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin ["The kind of slop that will put some steel in their spines!"]
‣ Sailor's Sting 25 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs serves slop]
‣ Hot Steel and Slide Licks (f) - Jeremy Wakefield ["...bad"]
‣ Funeral March - Otto Sieben ["Sorry, boys"]
‣ Sword Fight - Sam Fonteyn ["Oh, I can't stand it!"]
‣ The Silver Blade - Ilona Sekacz ["I don't care what that captain says."]
‣ Guerilla Warfare [#24] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Scarfish enters.]
‣ Guerilla Warfare [#27] - Harry Bluestone, Emil Cadkin [Flaming cherries jubilee.]
‣ Nude Sting - Nicolas Carr [Scarfish's head on fire]
‣ Sailor's Sting 25 - Michael Bolger, Nicolas Carr [Krabs locked up]
‣ ? - Nicolas Carr [First guard plays clarinet]
‣ Gator - Steve Belfer [second guard plays with toy boat]
‣ Slinky Panther Pants - Nicolas Carr [Krabs makes a key out of cotton candy]
‣ Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [second guard eats cotton candy]
‣ Spongeburglar - Nicolas Carr ["This was me chance to use me sweet key to freedom."]
‣ Nautical Fantacy - William Trytel ["I'd be in violation of the naval code."]
‣ Buccaneer Overture - David Arkenstone [pirates attack]
‣ Sword Fight - Sam Fonteyn [pirates preparing to board the vessel]
‣ Enemy Sighted - Sam Fonteyn ["Do as he says, Captain."]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr ["That's it!"]
‣ A Pirate's Life for Me (a) - Ron Goodwin [firing moldy crusts from cannon]
‣ Pirate Ship - David Farnon [guard checks on captain]
‣ Sword Fight - Sam Fonteyn [guard cuts suntan lotion barrel open]
‣ Sword Fight Alt. End - Sam Fonteyn ["Huzzah for Mr. Krabs!"]
‣ Sword Fight - Sam Fonteyn [sunburn brigade traps pirates in a net]
‣ Unknown Track 8 - pirate queen locked up/Mr. Krabs winks pirate queen.
‣ The Drunken Sailor - Nicolas Carr [ending]
- As of September 27, 2017, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 7.7/10 based on 111 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a 6.1/10 based on 27 votes.
- This is the first episode to use "The Drunken Sailor" by Nicolas Carr in a title card since season 7's "The Wreck of the Mauna Loa."
- This episode aired in Greece on June 19, 2016.
- The title is both a pun on "Pull up a chair" and a reference to the fact that the Krusty Krab's dining area uses barrels instead of chairs.
- Some people have mistaken the name as "Pick Up a Barrel."
- The title card is similar to "Selling Out."
- The island that the Sunburned sailors were on is a reference to Bikini Atoll.
- This episode confirms that Mr. Krabs naval days occurred before his professional pirate days. It was implied in "Grandpappy the Pirate."
- This episode contradicts "SpongeBob You're Fired," SpongeBob Moves In!, and "Squilliam Returns" because in this episode, Mr. Krabs can cook, but in those episodes and app game, he cannot. It is possible that he was just rusty from not cooking for a while.
- The character look-a-likes in this episode might not have been what the characters actually looked like. Mr. Krabs may have just used characters he knew in the present day to make the story more relatable.
- This episode premiered on Dan Povenmire's 52nd birthday, 16 years after the premiere of "Culture Shock" and "F.U.N.," and five years after the premiere of "Shellback Shenanigans" and "Buried in Time."
- Running Gags: Someone getting putting in "the brig" and using a sweet key.
- Captain Scarfish's self-portrait painting is similar to Squidward's self-portrait painting in "Bubble Buddy Returns." Both was also resemble Napoleon Bonaparte.
- The ship shown during Mr. Krabs' story is probably the S.S. Diarrhea.
- It is unknown what happened to Captain Scarfish after he was washed ashore by the suntan lotion.
- It is unknown how the Pirate Queen was able to breathe underwater, as she appears to be a squirrel without an air helmet.
- She may not have actually been a squirrel. Mr. Krabs may have just used Sandy's appearance to make the story more relatable.
- Mr. Krabs stated he could not smell any money in a 5 mile radius. This would be impossible because he has his cash register and safe which are both usually filled with money.
- Mr. Krabs explains in "Shell of a Man" that he worked in the navy along with his navy buddies. However, In this episode, Mr. Krabs is not wearing his navy uniform that he showed in "Shell of a Man," his boat does not look the same in the picture, none of his shipmates are there, and his name was not "Armor Abs Krabs," he was a chef on a suntan lotion boat.
- It is possible that this could be a different story apart from Mr. Krabs' navy days.
- None of the suntan lotion got in the marooned sailors's eye, which doesn't make sense, because their eyes were opened and didn't burn.
- In the German dub, the title card was mistakenly cut. However, it got fixed in May 2017.