"Prehibernation Week" is a SpongeBob SquarePants episode from season two. In this episode, Sandy and SpongeBob play extreme sporting games.
At Sandy's treedome, Sandy rakes her tree's autumn leaves into a pile that forms the shape of Texas. Sandy goes to tell SpongeBob she's finished but finds herself stepping on the leaves SpongeBob was meant to rake up. SpongeBob demonstrates his inability to rake the leaves quickly due to his miniature rake. Sandy tells SpongeBob to move on to something else as she continues her own chores at a brisk pace. SpongeBob can't understand why Sandy's in such a hurry, so she reminds him that she's hibernating the following week. She explains further that it's when she goes to sleep for the entire winter, a "mammalian thing" that sea creatures don't need to worry about. With only 168 hours left to go before then, Sandy has many activities she's desperate to do. SpongeBob promises to commit all the time he's not working for Mr. Krabs to play with Sandy, an offer she enthusiastically takes him up on.
Their activities that run day and night include sand-boarding, trying to knock each other off the top of the "Sea Needle" with giant ear cleaners, "Extreme Jacks," and "Find the Hay in the Needle Stack." These prove to be extremely dangerous, and SpongeBob, much less hardy than Sandy, can just barely avoid getting killed. He goes into hiding under Patrick Star's house to escape from her, and Sandy, overly worrying for his safety, forces everyone in Bikini Bottom to form an unnecessary search party for SpongeBob.
Sandy has them search in dangerous places such as sulfur fields and a poison sea urchin cove. After days of searching with no success, they all want a break, but she won't relent. They ask for time to take care of their children, but Sandy merely suggests to have them crawl into places the adults can't reach. With the dissent growing, Sandy goes mad saying that no one is leaving until they find SpongeBob. The townspeople try to fool Sandy with objects in SpongeBob's shape and color like a cereal box and a banana, but she doesn't buy any of that. One fish points to SpongeBob supposedly up in the sky, but as Sandy looks up and turns back in confusion, she finds that everyone has gone, taking their chance to also hide under Patrick's rock.
Still frantic, Sandy starts literally destroying the city in her search for SpongeBob. The townspeople express how safe they feel under the rock, as does SpongeBob, whom they unceremoniously
throw out for Sandy to find. Sandy rushes to SpongeBob as he desperately tries to hide again, to no avail. Sandy joyfully pulls SpongeBob into a crushing hug before tugging him along to go "atom smashing," but he pleads for her to wait and listen to him. SpongeBob finally explains to her that he can no longer play the dangerous games she wants to play and begs for her to remain his friend. However, he realizes that Sandy has already fallen sound asleep, and the relieved and exhausted SpongeBob falls asleep as well. Patrick, eating ice cream and carrying a grocery bag, returns home to find the townspeople staring out from under his rock and cries out, "Who are you, people?!"
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Pre-Hibernation - Pantera [title card]
‣ Real Western Steel - Bobby Black [opening]
‣ Harry's Back - Hans Ehrlinger ["I is 100% ma-male."]
‣ Real Western Steel - Bobby Black ["Enough chitter-chatter, SpongeBob!"]
‣ Pre-Hibernation - Pantera [Sand Mountain]
‣ Rococo Rondo - Tedeusz Rozycki ["Uh... I can explain."]
‣ Pre-Hibernation - Pantera ["I'm hotter than a hickory-smoked sausage!"/"Life's as extreme as you want to make it!"]
‣ Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill [later...]
‣ Solo Steel - Jeremy Wakefield [SpongeBob dragging himself home]
‣ Pre-Hibernation - Pantera [SpongeBob launched out of bed/Extreme Jacks/Sandy and SpongeBob at the Sea Needle]
‣ Holiday Playtime - Cedric King-Palmer [bike ride]
‣ Pre-Hibernation - Pantera [the industrial park]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["Wait a minute, I gotta talk my way out of this."]
‣ Pre-Hibernation - Pantera [hay in the needle stack/SpongeBob hides of Sandy in Patrick's rock]
‣ Danger Zone - Mike Sunderland ["SpongeBob's tie!"]
‣ Gruesome - The Surfdusters [search party]
‣ Death Trap - Gregor F. Narholz [Sandy looking for SpongeBob]
‣ Rococo Rondo - Tedeusz Rozycki ["Uh, I can explain."]
‣ Death Trap - Gregor F. Narholz [Sandy continues looking for SpongeBob.]
‣ Harp Ding - Nicolas Carr ["SpongeBob?"]
‣ Real Western Steel - Bobby Black [Sandy hugs SpongeBob]
‣ Pre-Hibernation - Pantera ["Sandy, wait!"]
‣ Stack of Leis - Kapono Beamer ["I just can't take the games!"]
‣ Reflections of Honolulu - Daniel J. White [Sandy asleep]
- As of September 9, 2018, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 9.0/10 based on 425 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 8.9/10 based on 163 votes.
- "Prehibernation Week" was ranked #28 during the Best Day Ever event on November 9–10, 2006.
- Although this episode premiered in 2001, it was made in 2000 according to the credits.
- This is the second episode to have an animated title card. The first is "SB-129."
- This episode premiered in Canada on July 13, 2001.
- The scene where SpongeBob and Sandy play "hay in the needle stack" is used as the title card for "Bubble Troubles."
- In Hebrew, the episode is called "מחפשים את ספוגבוב," which means "Looking for SpongeBob."
- The "industrial park" setting resembles some of the settings seen in "A Life in a Day."
- This the second episode to have a comedy drummer gag. The first is "Culture Shock."
- This is the second episode where SpongeBob says "This squirrel's trying to kill me." The first is "MuscleBob BuffPants."
- This episode premiered five years before "Chimps Ahoy" and "Ghost Host would, fifteen years before "CopyBob DittoPants" would premiere, sixteen years before "Mimic Madness" and "House Worming" would premiere in Hungary, seventeen years before "Drive Happy," "Old Man Patrick," "Fun-Sized Friends" and "Grandmum's the Word" would premiere in France, and the same number of years before "SpongeBob's Place" and "Plankton Gets the Boot" would premiere in Japan.
- SpongeBob says "Yeah" after jumping off a mountain the same way he does in "MuscleBob BuffPants."
- Patrick's line of "Who are you people?!" would later be used by him in "I'm with Stupid."
- This line has also become an internet meme.
- The scene where the orange fish says "This is a load of barnacles!" has became a popular internet meme.
- SpongeBob breaks the fourth wall by noticing the heavy metal music.
- On The Complete 2nd Season Audio Commentary for this episode, Carl Greenblatt says when SpongeBob gets on the bike, he looks right when the music starts to play. He is supposed to actually look after it starts playing, as a visual cue. This was an animation error.
- This was Edgar Larrazábal's last episode as an animation director.
- The song "Prehibernation" performed by Pantera is part of a solo featured in the song Death Rattle by the same band; it starts at 2:31 and ends at about 2:43.
- In the commentary for this episode, one of the people in the commentary make fun of the Industrial Park by calling it "post-apocalyptic Bikini Bottom." Ironically, 10 years after this commentary was recorded, Bikini Bottom actually did become post-apocalyptic in The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water.
- In Indonesia, the scene where SpongeBob and Sandy play extreme sports until SpongeBob sneaks away was rarely shown during its airings. This was done for time constraints due to its airing also being paired with ads.
- This episode premiered on John Rhys-Davies' 57th birthday.
- During the search party scene where the Bikini Bottomites are searching for SpongeBob, one fish is heard whistling and saying "Here boy!" as if he was calling a dog/worm.
- In the Polish dub, the episode's title is "Przed hibernacją," which means "Before Hibernation."
- When one of the needles stabs SpongeBob's nose, his voice sounds similar to Squidward's.
- The game "Find the hay in the needle stack" is a switch on "find the needle in the hay stack."
- The Sea Needle is a parody of the Space Needle in Seattle, Washington.
- During the transition from Sandy's house to the sand hill, somebody shouts "Yippee!" This sound effect is also heard in the game Worms Armageddon.
- SpongeBob's line "They're tearing me apart!" is a reference to James Dean's line "You're tearing me apart!" in the film Rebel Without a Cause.
- When Sandy suggests she and SpongeBob the game "Find the hay in the needle stack," this is a reference to idiom which is said vice versa, and this saying means trying to find something small in an area that's too big.
- When Sandy goes over to paint her fence, the green bikini she wears underneath her skirt is gone.
- Even though Sandy paints entirely over SpongeBob's water helmet with white paint, his eyes are still visible.
- Throughout the entire episode, Sandy's acorn is black rather than its usual color.
- This error also occurs in "Wormy."
- When SpongeBob and Sandy are in the industrial park, they jump over a metal jaw that is chomping rocks. Sandy and SpongeBob successfully jump over the machine and, although they went flying forward, in the next scene, they are seen falling straight down. This wouldn't make sense due to them going over a ramp.
- There were two Nats once. One went into the three-eyed sea elephant and one was standing near Sandy.
- When Sandy busts into the Krusty Krab, she points to Frank, the muscular fish, saying that him and whoever is on his side is on Alpha team go look for SpongeBob. However, Frank screams "Gold team rules!"
- When Sandy and SpongeBob are playing extreme jacks, Sandy blows the whistle with her helmet on.
- There is a column left of "Sunday" on the calendar in Sandy's treedome.
- The calendar that Sandy pulls down when she and SpongeBob are frozen in the lake only has 20 days and only has five days a week.
- After Charlie asks if he can go home and Sandy looks angry, her neck is the same color as the lower side of her face.
- Before Patrick screams "Who are you people?!," his mouth disappears shortly after.
- A guy on a bike holding a lollipop, having random things happening to him, usually just saying "Uh... I can explain..."
- SpongeBob getting hurt from various activities he and Sandy did.
- The Bikini Bottomites using various things that are square or yellow to make Sandy think they found SpongeBob.