- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patrick Star
- Frank (store owner) (debut)
- Daydream Halbert
- Daydream Horace
- Nat Peterson
- Daydream Nat Peterson
- Daydream Sheila
- Daydream Tina Fran
- Daydream Tom
- French narrator
- Sandy Cheeks
- Seahorse (cameo in picture)
- Mrs. Puff
- Squidward Tentacles
- Debbie Rechid
- Sandals (cameo)
- Harold "Bill" Reginald
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Sea leprechaun (cameo)
- Nathiel Waters
- Dennis (citizen)
- Frankie Billy
- Jimmy Gus
- Norma Rechid
- Frank (red shirt)
- Abigail Marge
- Martha Smith
The episode begins with SpongeBob introducing Patrick to the Palace of Pranks. SpongeBob tells Patrick that he bought a gag can of Seanut Brittle from there. Patrick becomes overwhelmed and attempts open the can to get a taste of its "delicious seanut brittle" inside, not realizing that it's a prank. He then realizes it is when purple tubes shoot out of the can, much to his disappointment.
SpongeBob and Patrick then proceed to enter the store in search of the ultimate prank. SpongeBob introduces Patrick to the store owner, Frank. When the latter shakes Patrick's hand upon meeting him, Patrick is electrocuted by a joy buzzer, which Frank refers to as Patrick's first lesson and the "grandaddy of all pranks." Frank then suggests numerous gags in stock to prank all of Bikini Bottom with. These include a gag dollar, Exploding Chewing Gum, a whoopie cushion, fake vomit, and real vomit. None of these interest the pair, however, they finally decide once Frank offers them a rare can of Invisible Spray for just one dollar.
SpongeBob and Patrick then proceed to purchase it and are warned that it stains clothes. Before they use the spray, Patrick remembers it will stain clothes, so he and SpongeBob take their clothes off in ordered to prevent the spray from staining their clothes. They decide to spray a park bench and sit on it but get in an argument over who gets to spray the bench. During the fight, they spray each other until "several bad puns later," after which both of them are completely invisible and the Invisible Spray can is empty. SpongeBob throws it out of sight and blames Patrick since their chances at pulling off the ultimate prank are now ruined.After asking a man for the time and accidentally scaring him away, SpongeBob realizes that he and Patrick can pretend to be ghosts and prank the whole town. They pretend to be ghosts and go around frightening everyone (moving things around in Sandy's treedome, eating a cake Mrs. Puff was going to eat, painting a mustache on Squidward's face, etc.), until Mr. Krabs, who "ain't afraid of no ghosts," is the last person in Bikini Bottom to be haunted. They attempt to frighten him and succeed until they attempt to burn a dollar bill. Mr. Krabs' fear is overcome by his love of money, and he attempts to extinguish the match with a bucket of water. The invisible spray is washed off of Patrick and SpongeBob, exposing their identities, and their nudity.
Though embarrassed, Mr. Krabs comforts SpongeBob and Patrick by saying he forgives them and was fond of pulling pranks in his youth. However, when they attempt to leave, the Krusty Krab now contains nearly everyone in Bikini Bottom, and Mr. Krabs showcases the "live, nude pranksters." An extremely embarrassed SpongeBob and Patrick try to cover themselves while everyone looks at them, and SpongeBob says "We should've bought the whoopee cushion!" as the episode ends.
|( ‣ ) Associated production music|
|( • ) Original music|
|( ◦ ) SpongeBob music|
‣ Flop and Go (a) - John Fox [title card]
‣ ? - Nicolas Carr [Palace of Pranks]
‣ Witty Fellow - Gerhard Trede ["Good to see you, SpongeBob!"]
‣ Vibe Q Sting - Nicolas Carr ["They're floating in midair!"]
‣ Tomfoolery - David Snell [SpongeBob and Patrick spraying each other]
‣ Glissando Up - Eric Allen ["...half past invisible."]
‣ Tomfoolery - David Snell ["Gee, it's getting late."]
‣ Hercule Poirot - Gerhard Trede [at Sandy's]
‣ Alien Spacecraft (c) - Gregor F. Narholz ["It is ghosts!"]
‣ Dramatic Cue (d) - Ronald Hanmer [Sandy screams]
‣ Grass Skirt Chase - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Sandy escapes to Texas]
‣ Horlepiep - Jan Rap [SpongeBob and Patrick scaring everyone]
‣ Steel Licks (a) - Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs last to be haunted]
‣ The Tip Top Polka/The Cliff Polka - Chelmsford Folk Band [Krabs' anti-ghost armor]
‣ Captain Lenoe's - Michael Arthur, Colin Cater, Mick Graves, The Folk Players, Sarah Graves, Simon Ritchie ["Bring it on!"]
‣ House of Horror - W. Merrick Farran ["Krabs, we've come to haunt you!"/Mr. Krabs screams.]
‣ Sponge Monger - Sage Guyton, Jeremy Wakefield [Krabs tries to escape]
‣ Dramatic Cue (b) - Ronald Hanmer ["No! Don't burn me dollar!"]
‣ Comic Walk - Sidney Torch [SpongeBob and Patrick become visible again]
‣ Strip Tease - David Farnon [ending]
- As of March 17, 2017, The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) gives this episode a rating of 9/10 based on 353 ratings by users. TV.com users give this episode a rating of 9.2/10 based on 210 votes.
- If The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie was the series finale of SpongeBob SquarePants like it was planned to be, then this would have been the last episode of the series.
- However, the series continued after the movie was released.
- This marks the end of the pre-movie era, also known as the "Hillenburg Era." Seasons 4 to the first half of season 9 are known as the "Tibbitt Era" to fans, where Paul Tibbitt took over as the showrunner when Stephen Hillenburg left the show until he returned during the second half of season 9.
- This is the final episode until "Extreme Spots" in season 9 to use digital ink and paint.
- This is the last episode until "Lost in Bikini Bottom" to have Stephen Hillenburg credited as the executive producer.
- This is the last episode until the season 8 episode "Accidents Will Happen" where SpongeBob's voice is normal. Starting with the first movie and carrying on to seasons 4-7, his voice becomes higher pitched.
- In the Brazilian dubbing, the line "Fake vomit? Real vomit?" was changed to "Gosta disso? Coisas sem forma?" ("Do you like this? Shapeless things?")
- This makes it strange because then SpongeBob says "Eww" to "shapeless things."
- This is the last episode where the names Derek Drymon, Kent Osborne, and Merriwether Williams are seen in the opening credits.
- In Sweden, "Invisible Spray" is "Spöke Färg" ("Ghost Color").
- This marks the only episode in season 3 to feature Sandy's treedome.
- In Germany, this episode is titled "Die Geister von Bikini Bottom" ("The Ghosts of Bikini Bottom").
- Mr. Krabs' ghost prevention good-luck charms include having his underwear tied in a Melvit knot.
- A Melvit knot is used to hold a sail to a sailboat.
- This is the last episode of season 3, to air in 2004, and before the release of The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie.
- It is revealed in this episode that Sandy is originally from Austin, TX.
- When her escape pod lands, it is in the Austin area.
- In Spanish and Indonesian, the fish who says "Toast" says "Ghost;" in the Filipino dub he says "Want some?;" in the Hebrew version, he says "Sandwich;" in Korean, he says "What's that?;" in Polish, he says "Crunchy."
- Also, in the Indonesian version, SpongeBob does not say "We'll go spray the park bench and then sit on it." he says, "We'll go spray ourselves and let the show begin!" which makes many people confused.
- The specter deflector and the escape pod to Texas have incidentally been seen on two other Nickelodeon shows, Danny Phantom and The Fairly OddParents, respectively.
- The novelty items Frank offers to SpongeBob are:
- A joy buzzer (Patrick gets shocked by it)
- Exploding Chewing Gum (Patrick eats it and his head explodes)
- Fake gag dollar
- Whoopie cushion
- Fake vomit
- Real vomit
- And finally, Invisible Spray (SpongeBob buys it)
- In Dutch, this episode was titled "Top of the fops" (fop means prank in Dutch), which is a pun of a British music program called Top of The Pops.
- On the Dutch version of the Seascape Capers DVD, this episode is listed as "SpongeBob is onzichtbaar" (SpongeBob is invisible) instead of that title.
- On The Seascape Capers DVD Episode Selection screen, it mentions that another name for this episode is "Naked Pants."
- This title is also seen on Digiturk listings.
- This episode is also listed as "Pranks a Lot (AKA Naked Pants)" on Amazon Video.
- The Krusty Krab's layout differs from other episodes.
- Sandy's rocket breaks the surface of the water in the Pacific Ocean near the bottom of South America, revealing Bikini Bottom's location, and gives how it can snow in Bikini Bottom because of its location.
- The bad puns that SpongeBob and Patrick say while spraying each other with the Invisible Spray are:
- "I gotta hand it to you!" Patrick sprays SpongeBob's right hand.
- "Kind of gives you an empty feeling, huh?" SpongeBob sprays Patrick's chest.
- "I see what you mean!" Patrick sprays SpongeBob's left eye.
- "No guts, no glory!" SpongeBob sprays Patrick's gut.
- The toys that are featured in title card:
- X-Ray glasses ($1.00)
- U-Control 7-Foot Life-Size Ghost (95 cents)
- Joy buzzer (25 cents)
- Secret Spy Scope (Unknown price)
- Greedy Fingers Bank ($2.45)
- Secret Pocket Pen (Unknown price)
- Phony Cast (4.81)
- Various amount of unknown toys.
- This is the first episode where Mrs. Puff deflates.
- The second is "Demolition Doofus."
- Mr. Krabs had a gold necklace that reads "Foxy" in this episode.
- Even though most of the words in the newspaper surrounding the article about Mr. Krabs are not real words, the following can be made out: (by line)
- On the left-column: "was in," "in the," "can not," "world," "are," skip two lines, "I was in," "in," "I can not," skip two lines, "then he I," "so down I," "happen I," "of the," "said what," "equipped," "then he I," "so down I," "happen I" "way of the," "said what," "equipped," skip two lines, "He I was in," "down in the," "I can not," "of the world," "what are," skip two lines, "He I was in," "down in the," and "I can not."
- On the upper column: "So then," skip a line, "it be the way," "and then He I was in So then he said what are," "are in the way of the west," "out their the way of the we how," and "bacon, eggs, and toast. With the same energy" (skip two words) "so is a" (skip one word) "that."
- On the bottom-left column: Skip two lines, "and then He I was in," "I wasn't in so down in the," "how did it happen, I can not," "it be the way of the world," "So then he said what are," skip two lines, "and the He I was in," "I wasn't in so down in the," and "happen, I can not."
- On the bottom-middle column: Skip two lines, "and then He I," ""I wasn't in so down I," "how did it happen, I," "it be the way," "So then he said what," and "equipped."
- On the bottom-right column: Skip two lines "In the door, but I," "he village is so," "not say but how," skip a line, "you are in or out," "much stuff I," "out the disk," "mankind or crab kind" (kind is cut off to only show "ki"), "how," "so is a" (skip a word) "that," skip two lines, "and then He"
- On the right column: Skip a line, "I wasn't" (wasn't is cut off to show "wasn'"), "how," "it be," "So the," "boat," skip a line, "I was," "how," "it be," "So," "boat," skip two lines, "in," and "he"
- The words "leprechaun" and "hippopotamus" are also in the article, but they are misspelled.
- There is a fan-made Angry Birds comic (seen here that uses the line, "Ghost! Ghost! Ghost! Ghost! Toast! Ghost!" from this episode.
- Mr. Krabs could have taken out the toilet paper then escaped.
- In the Polish dub, the episode's title is "Psikus za psikus" or "A Prank for a Prank."
- In the Croatian dub, the episode name is "Najbolja Psina" or "The Best Prank."
- This episode aired in Germany on September 26, 2003, before it aired in the USA.
- The episode's name is a pun on "Thanks a lot."
- The scene at the Palace of Pranks is a tribute to Pee-wee's Big Adventure and even uses the "Fake vomit? Real Vomit?" joke from that show.
- SpongeBob's Seanut Brittle Can is a parody of snake nut can.
- Mr. Krabs' line "I ain't afraid of no ghosts" is the same as the lyrics of the original song, "Ghostbusters" from the 1984 film of the same name.
- The title card design is a reference to old-fashioned newspaper ads for pranks.
- When SpongeBob asks Nat Peterson what time it is, he says that it is 10 to 3 (2:50). However, the closed captions say that it is 3:00.
- In Bahasa Indonesia, instead of saying it is 10 to 3, Nat says it is 10:03.
- When Sandy is frightened by the "ghosts," her escape pod breaks the Treedome. The dome is not flooded with water and is fixed in the next shot.
- SpongeBob and Patrick are not wearing their water helmets when they are in Sandy's treedome. Additionally, bubbles appear when Sandy removes their sheets.
- SpongeBob and Patrick read that Mr. Krabs was the only one not scared yet when SpongeBob and Patrick clearly have not been scared yet. It's possible that they think that SpongeBob and Patrick are already scared because they are missing and that they presume that they are hiding.
- It is debatable if Sandals was really scared of the ghosts either, as he said "Toast" instead of showing fear about the ghosts.
- All of Mr. Krabs' ghost prevention charms are gone in the next shot.
- When Mr. Krabs is inside the Krusty Krab, the windows have blinds. In subsequent scenes, the blinds are gone.
- When the invisible spray washes off Patrick, his belly button reappears and disappears.
- At the Krusty Krab, Sandy whistles by putting her fingers to her mouth, which is impossible because of her helmet. It's possible she was able to whistle without touching her mouth.
- Mr. Krabs splashes a bucket of water on SpongeBob and Patrick to wash off the paint, despite the fact that they live underwater. Even while surfing, the water does not wash off their paint.
- When Frank is holding the Invisible Spray, at the bottom of it says "danger." However, in every other shot of the Invisible Spray, the "danger" part is missing.
- After Mr. Krabs throws water on SpongeBob and Patrick, SpongeBob's shoes and socks are visible, despite the fact that the invisible paint stains clothes. When SpongeBob explains that fact, he says "paint" instead of "spray."
- Also, the Invisible Spray is occasionally referred to as "paint."
- When Mr. Krabs grabs SpongeBob and Patrick, the dollar in Patrick's hand disappears.
- Mr. Krabs says that he has taped the hairs on the back of his neck down. When he is fleeing from the "ghosts," there is no tape on his neck.
- If the Krusty Krab contained all the people SpongeBob and Patrick scared, it would have been completely filled.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick fight over the Invisible Spray, they are by the road. But when they are completely invisible after the "Several Bad Puns Later" time card, the road is not there. It is possible that they moved away from the road.
- The credits mention Plankton, but he was not heard speaking and did not appear in this episode. This is because the credits mention both episodes rather than just the one.
- The toilet in the Krusty Krab restroom that Mr. Krabs tries to swim through is out in plain sight and not hidden by a divider.
- The background behind the toast in the scene where Sandals says "Toast." is seen.
- Patrick, Mr. Krabs, and SpongeBob are in the restroom. But after SpongeBob and Patrick come out, they were near Mr. Krabs' office. It's possible they moved there since Mr. Krabs was already outside the restroom.
- Frank says the Invisible Spray is $1. But SpongeBob gives him $3 and does not get the other $2 back. It's possible the other $2 were used as tip.
- SpongeBob and Patrick glued the door to the Krusty Krab shut, yet a huge crowd of people came in to see the "live, nude pranksters." It's possible they were able to remove the glue.
- Mrs. Puff usually never deflates and turns very tiny as in other episodes, she deflates back to normal size. She may have possibly deflated out of fright.
- Sandy went to Texas with the rocket, but in the end, she was in the Krusty Krab. It is possible that she came back off-screen.
- SpongeBob actually sprays Patrick in the crotch when he says "No guts, no glory."
- The Invisible Spray makes SpongeBob and Patrick completely invisible, but when Patrick belches after finishing Mrs. Puff's cake, his mouth is clearly seen, being wiped with a napkin.
- When Tom points out that SpongeBob and Patrick are naked, fighting over a spray can, Nat is seen on the bus. However, in the following scene, Nat is seen off the bus without having been dropped off as SpongeBob asks him what time it is.
|Awards and nominations for SpongeBob SquarePants (V • E)
Golden Reel Awards